49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by afalau:

LOL. Truth.

Haha yeah. The offense was clearly the strength of that team and what got them that far. I know people are going to give Kyle a hard time about the last few drives, but fact of the matter is the Falcons are not in the SB with a chance to win without him. He took the pieces that were there and made them truly special. Watch what happens to ATL after this season, they will miss Kyle greatly.

No doubt...the last three drives ended in 4th and 25, missed assignment in pass protection (fumble) & 4th and 33.

That's called shooting yourself in the foot.

Oh, and they fired their DC today: Falcons to replace Richard Smith at DC: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784475/article/atlanta-falcons-replacing-richard-smith-at-dc

Quinn kinda took responsibility after the loss I think, and the Falcons fans have mixed feelings about it.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4052217-dan-quinn-no-regrets-over-calls-made-down-stretch-in-super-bowl-li/

I've finally seen the 2nd and 11 play on the all22 view. From what I've seen, you have concepts at play. Sanu and the top of the screen WR are running what looks like a shallow cross concept with sanu running the cross aspect. The other facet is a corner-flat concept with Julio on the corner and freeman running the flat. Julio is bracketed. This play gave Ryan 2 short options and at the second before the pressure it looks like freeman might have had a step on the DE that was guarding him. So both short routes only had one defender on them, that's why it my opinion that Ryan is really gonna be haunted by not getting rid of that ball, even if it needed to be an incomplete pass thrown at either freeman or sanu's feet. That just my opinion.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 8, 2017 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by communist:
Haven't been paying attention too much, but seems like he's deflecting most of the questions altogether. Just been saying it was a great hard-fought game, and he doesn't regret the play calls so much as he regrets the outcome of the plays.
He doesn't regret the play calls? Thanks, Jed, we hired McDaniels of the Broncos.

No, my post was a response to a question regarding Dan Quinn's comments after the game, not Shanahan's. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Shanahan was reported saying "I blew it" after the game. In hindsight he would have played it differently, but the aggressive play calling is what they did all year with great success. Can't blame him too much for trusting his MVP and #1 offense not to blow it. Ryan took bad sacks, the players missed blocking assignments and committed costly penalties.

On the 3rd and 1 play (which ended up being the fumble) they had something like a 70% success rate throwing the ball on 3rd down with 1-4 yards (to get the 1st) this past season. They actually threw the ball in those situations more than ran the ball. It's who that team was all yr. NE game planned that 2nd half like a boss and people aren't giving them more credit in that regard.

That defense gave up 31 pts in the second half, yet that s**t isn't talked about more... especially when there HC is a defensive guy

Yup. Look no further then where both coordinators ended up to determine who was more at fault. Shanahan was the hottest name in the market and now a HC. Their DC is on the unemployment line.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by communist:
Haven't been paying attention too much, but seems like he's deflecting most of the questions altogether. Just been saying it was a great hard-fought game, and he doesn't regret the play calls so much as he regrets the outcome of the plays.
He doesn't regret the play calls? Thanks, Jed, we hired McDaniels of the Broncos.

No, my post was a response to a question regarding Dan Quinn's comments after the game, not Shanahan's. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Shanahan was reported saying "I blew it" after the game. In hindsight he would have played it differently, but the aggressive play calling is what they did all year with great success. Can't blame him too much for trusting his MVP and #1 offense not to blow it. Ryan took bad sacks, the players missed blocking assignments and committed costly penalties.

On the 3rd and 1 play (which ended up being the fumble) they had something like a 70% success rate throwing the ball on 3rd down with 1-4 yards (to get the 1st) this past season. They actually threw the ball in those situations more than ran the ball. It's who that team was all yr. NE game planned that 2nd half like a boss and people aren't giving them more credit in that regard.

That defense gave up 31 pts in the second half, yet that s**t isn't talked about more... especially when there HC is a defensive guy

Yup. Look no further then where both coordinators ended up to determine who was more at fault. Shanahan was the hottest name in the market and now a HC. Their DC is on the unemployment line.

What are the chances that Smith comes here to be the DC?
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Just just got the alert something we already kind of new was going to happen.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 18m18 minutes agoMore

The plan for #49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is to have QB coach Rich Scangarello, run-game guru Mike McDaniel…and coordinate the offense himself

Interesting. Had a feeling we'd do without a OC this year with Shanahan taking playcalling responsibilities.

McDaniel was first mentioned as being the WRs coach, now he's the run-game guru. Could he be the OL coach?
Originally posted by robniner:

That would be funny. His defense balled out in the 1st half of the SB before getting picked apart in the 2nd. On the year they gave up over 400 points and ranked 25th in total defense. Despite the promising young talent, it wasn't a very good unit. Hopefully Shanahan can do better at DC. Early reports point to Robert Saleh and Jerome Henderson as co-defensive coordinators.

The plan for #49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is to have QB coach Rich Scangarello, run-game guru Mike McDaniel…and coordinate the offense himself

Interesting. Had a feeling we'd do without a OC this year with Shanahan taking playcalling responsibilities.

McDaniel was first mentioned as being the WRs coach, now he's the run-game guru. Could he be the OL coach?

Nice to mention this since Bobby Turner just got plucked to be the RB Coach.

McDaniel may be doing WR after all

Jesus I hope not

I think what they mean is Turner will be the RB coach and McDaniel will be the running game coordinator
Originally posted by 801niner:
Thank God he's calling plays.

Thats cool but we better knock out the DC hire.

Makes more sense to me, because he's only coached WRs in the NFL. Also played WR at Yale.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Thats cool but we better knock out the DC hire.

It's probably just going to be Saleh and Henderson and if they fail we go get Fangio next year.

That would be funny. His defense balled out in the 1st half of the SB before getting picked apart in the 2nd. On the year they gave up over 400 points and ranked 25th in total defense. Despite the promising young talent, it wasn't a very good unit. Hopefully Shanahan can do better at DC. Early reports point to Robert Saleh and Jerome Henderson as co-defensive coordinators.

Yeak I'll pass on smith I'm still holding on to the idea of the LB coach in NE coming in...
  • Happs
  • Veteran
An interesting article that talks about Shanahan calling plays from the booth vs the sidelines.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/23/13730592/2016-nfl-season-falcons-chargers-eagles-coaches-kyle-shanahan

Hopefully it hasn't been posted before. My bad if it has.

My understanding is that Shanahan will be handling the play calling so it seem relevant.
loving the offensive staff that is forming. still a little nervous about the defense.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

The Bears are eager to move on from Cutler and as reported last week, primed to make a real run at Illinois native Jimmy Garoppolo.

Sharing this only because Shanny has interest in Garappolo.
Share 49ersWebzone