LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 210 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by evil:
The entire league believes JG will be traded and JG believes he will be traded. A deal will be had as there are teams that have the need and this is a year with a weak draft class at QB and FA won't offer much if anything.

If we cut JG, someone will offer him more than the backup deal we can offer.

There are only 2 choices, work with him and get a deal done to get something for him. Or 2, cut him and lose him for nothing. He isn't staying as a backup with his price tag.

Sounds like Jimmy knows he's getting traded and like you said the league knows…the team is working with his agent to find a good spot.

I don't see how he comes back on a cheap backup deal, nor should he.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by captveg:
You can't pay a backup $20m+. It just isn't done.

So you have to roll with Lance and just cross your fingers that he holds up. Just like KC does with Mahomes, and Buffalo does with Allen, etc. etc. Backups winning the SB is super rare.

That's simply the realities of football. Holding onto Jimmy G just so he can ride the bench is never gonna happen, just like it was never a realistic scenario for Alex Smith in 2013. It just does not happen.

Point one: agree.
Point two: we dont 'have to' do anything. Except win.
Point three: this wont be a conventional starter/backup situation.

Jimmy is gone, time to move on. Acceptance is the first step.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Still in the denial stage, I guess

So you have to roll with Lance and just cross your fingers that he holds up. Just like KC does with Mahomes, and Buffalo does with Allen, etc. etc. Backups winning the SB is super rare.

That's simply the realities of football. Holding onto Jimmy G just so he can ride the bench is never gonna happen, just like it was never a realistic scenario for Alex Smith in 2013. It just does not happen.

Why? It's no different, in principle, then KC going with Mahomes in 2018 after he sat a year behind Smith, with KC trading Smith in the offseason. Mahomes' backup in 2018 was Chad Henne. If Mahomes had got hurt KC likely doesn't come close to the AFC CG that year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

What I'm confused about is that now Brodie is saying we won't be able to trade Jimmy. But not that long ago he was laughing at others who suggested we would ONLY get a second round pick for him.

Am I missing something?
Originally posted by stefano89:
Originally posted by stefano89:
guys I really think TB12 is a possibility for us. He wants to be a niner. He's the ultimate competitor, in a month or two he's gonna want to play. We can get him. Wel have to beef up our OL big time but we can do that. We need to either go all in on 2022 with TB12 or build back resources in 2022 an go all in on 2023 with TL5 after he's gotten a year of starting experience.

Brady isn't coming to SF.

They are trading Jimmy G. Then they will sign/trade for a vet QB to be Lance's backup, someone like Dalton/Foles/Taylor who can run the offense and perhaps win some games if Lance is injured and unavailable.

never say never.

I'm saying he dink and dunk and there's a ton of data backing that up.

Lance is a rookie as far as playing football goes. Cool he was a scout QB for a yr that's not meaningful football.

Comprehend what? You don't think Jimmy will get traded because what? He's not good enough for any team in the market? You're the one that been all about how great Jimmy is in here for how long? Now he's not? Why can't he be a bridge QB for some other team? If he's cut why can't he sign with another team? Man you really want to do Jimmy dirty lol.

Jimmy throwd a lot of quick release central balls into windows that dalton taylor etc wont make. Thats what im saying. Anyway we need to plan that trey is 1 playing year less than a rookie in 2022.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Yeah it can get crazy in here, but there are a ton of great fans in here as well. I try to block out the noise.

I think people don't realize you can love a player or coach, but still be honest and critical when its warranted.

Anyone with half a brain knows Kyle is a great offensive mind and coach. There is no obvious "upgrade".

Its also fair to say he can improve and his 4th quarters in big games are a serious red flag. I mean its just the truth so I understand peoples perspectives and debates. People do take that and spin it to the tenth degree of delusion lol.

For sure, you can always be improving regardless if you're very good at your job. I think talent at the most important position dictates a lot of what happens at the end of games. Teams know what SF is under Jimmy and what they will try to do at the end of games. run the ball....Jimmy had his opportunities last game to put LA away, he didn't take advantage of them. Not sure what is you could ask Kyle to do there....play calls were there for the most part.

I got no problem being critical of some of his play calls for sure...the good outweighs the bad by far though.

Just a couple of things Kyle could have done off the top of my head.
2nd and 1 maybe just do a hurry up and have the qb sneak it..
If they didn't get it, hey how about now on 3rd & 1 have the qb do a hurry up and have the qb sneak it…

Love Kyle and don't want any other coach but to act like people know what is being told to jimmy by the coach in certain situations I think is Hilarious especially when two situations outlined above is a perfect example of what Kyle should have been telling jimmy to do.

Jimmy converted most of the 3rd's or 4th's & short during his time here, yet, something as simple as that, Kyle doesn't have jimmy try and execute it.. why not is the question?

Going to be funny seeing what Gore49er names the worst guy in the denial stage
I even gave him props for staying true to the delusion, that's hard to do
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

Mcvay can win the big game. But not Shanahan.

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

SEE guys, even GORE4 knows this.

Originally posted by genus49:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

Doesn't that tell you how bad of a HC Shanny10 is ?

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..
Originally posted by 9moon:

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..

"McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't"

Not to mention, maybe you forgot, but our defense held them to 7 points for 3 quarters, which rarely happens to their explosive offense

Defense got gassed. Our QB couldn't carry the team when we needed him to and most of that (unable to execute) wasn't on Shanny, Einstein
Originally posted by 9moon:

Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.
McVay is a better coach than Shanahan because he is way more decisive in everything related to coaching and decision making. Shanahan might be a more brilliant offensive mind but McVay has more guts to make his decisions.

As simple as that.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.

Actually, didn't they say McVay only made one or two challenges the entire regular season?

I feel Shanahan manages the clock very well. We always have our timeouts when we need them, and it always feels like the clock's in our favor. It's oddly enough, the playcalling when we have a lead that's been a bit off. And this year, particularly, third/fourth and short have been very much a rollercoaster. It just felt so much like Shanahan struggled to get a feel for that all year.
Share 49ersWebzone