Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

Mcvay can win the big game. But not Shanahan.

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

Doesn't that tell you how bad of a HC Shanny10 is ?

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..

"McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't"

Not to mention, maybe you forgot, but our defense held them to 7 points for 3 quarters, which rarely happens to their explosive offense

Defense got gassed. Our QB couldn't carry the team when we needed him to and most of that (unable to execute) wasn't on Shanny, Einstein

Kyl_EXCUSES!

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

Mcvay can win the big game. But not Shanahan.

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

Doesn't that tell you how bad of a HC Shanny10 is ?

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..

Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.

I would agree McKay is a better coach due to resume, but hands down? I mean shananan is still one of the best in the league.

Yes mcvay's teams have been successful. But comparing the our records since they both got here is ridiculous. The roster he had when he got here was was much better from the jump. Our roster had to be almost entirely rebuilt outside of armstead, Staley, tatt, ward, and Buckner. It's not comparable.

just not too long ago we were at this. Reading the recent post......

and they call us the "Faithful"

[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Feb 15, 2022 at 2:52 AM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.

That explains why we couldn't beat them during the season. Since 2018. Ummmm.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
McVay is a better coach than Shanahan because he is way more decisive in everything related to coaching and decision making. Shanahan might be a more brilliant offensive mind but McVay has more guts to make his decisions.

As simple as that.

Lol no he isn't….McVay was damn near last in the league ob going for it on 4th down. What guts?

McVay has a MUCH better QB and he lets that dude go out and play football. 3rd and 8 game on the line, he's tossing no look conversions. McVay even talked about how play calling can only do you so much, you need that QB to MAKE plays regardless of the call….it's really that simple.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
McVay is a better coach than Shanahan because he is way more decisive in everything related to coaching and decision making. Shanahan might be a more brilliant offensive mind but McVay has more guts to make his decisions.

As simple as that.

Lol no he isn't….McVay was damn near last in the league ob going for it on 4th down. What guts?

McVay has a MUCH better QB and he lets that dude go out and play football. 3rd and 8 game on the line, he's tossing no look conversions. McVay even talked about how play calling can only do you so much, you need that QB to MAKE plays regardless of the call….it's really that simple.

All of this. Kudos to the man on winning a ring but this "he's got a better resume so he's automatically better" s**t doesn't fly with me.

I will give him credit, the dude is certainly coaching and team building like a rabid dog but hearing that he may be thinking of retiring certainly adds logic to it. If that was his plan then why worry about building a team for the long haul. Yeah cash in all your draft picks to try to win it all now and let some other chump deal with the fallout when your stars leave.

But people still love to overlook that one of the major reasons McVay has won as much as he has is because he took over a much better team that had one of the best players to ever play in Aaron Donald.

he didn't have to do a full rebuild of a trash roster like Shanahan had to do here. He got a long time DC and former HC to come in and assist him on defense to the point where he almost didn't have to worry about the defense.

The situations are not comparable. The fact that Shanahan with Garopplo in the two seasons where he was actually healthy most of the year wind up in the SB and NFC Championship games and had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of both says he's a damn good coach.

Can anyone remind me what the great McVay did in his first trip to the SB with his #2 offense?
I think it's more the organization then Shanny or McVay. LA wanted a Super Bowl so they cashed in their chips and got one. Brought in Ramsey, OBJ, Stafford over the years and combine that with Donald and Kupp and they got it. Our management plays for the dynasty, makes long term moves like Lance and Kap and never really splurges on a big name vet who'd cost draft picks. I'm not criticizing that play but so far it's came up short. Kind of funny that we passed on Brady, Manning, Stafford over the years for being too old and they all have rings while we got none and still no established QB. But the Lance has just begun so we'll see if we win the long term game this time.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 15, 2022 at 6:10 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think it's more the organization then Shanny or McVay. LA wanted a Super Bowl so they cashed in their chips and got one. Brought in Ramsey, OBJ, Stafford over the years and combine that with Donald and Kupp and they got it. Our management plays for the dynasty, makes long term moves like Lance and Kap and never really splurges on a big name vet who'd cost draft picks. I'm not criticizing that play but so far it's came up short. Kind of funny that we passed on Brady, Manning, Stafford over the years for being too old and they all have rings while we got none and still no established QB. But the Lance has just begun so we'll see if we win the long term game this time.

this

I'm confused by the people bashing shannahan and propping McVay in this thread

its like people are so reactionary and dont think critically. One franchise sold out to win in next 2 years or so. One franchise is built to win now but also set themselves up to be a potential winner in next 10 years

I think both are top 5 coaches but i think Shannahan has proven himself to be clearly better. Rams were SB favorites to begin the season
All of this. Kudos to the man on winning a ring but this "he's got a better resume so he's automatically better" s**t doesn't fly with me.

I will give him credit, the dude is certainly coaching and team building like a rabid dog but hearing that he may be thinking of retiring certainly adds logic to it. If that was his plan then why worry about building a team for the long haul. Yeah cash in all your draft picks to try to win it all now and let some other chump deal with the fallout when your stars leave.

But people still love to overlook that one of the major reasons McVay has won as much as he has is because he took over a much better team that had one of the best players to ever play in Aaron Donald.

he didn't have to do a full rebuild of a trash roster like Shanahan had to do here. He got a long time DC and former HC to come in and assist him on defense to the point where he almost didn't have to worry about the defense.

The situations are not comparable. The fact that Shanahan with Garopplo in the two seasons where he was actually healthy most of the year wind up in the SB and NFC Championship games and had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of both says he's a damn good coach.

Can anyone remind me what the great McVay did in his first trip to the SB with his #2 offense?

Yeah good for him sweet, they won....Doug Peterson won a SB before McVay and no one is saying he's better than him or Shanny lol.

their GM/owner/HC continue to go all in and it paid off for once. I agree if he doesn't plan on being there for the long haul might as well do whatever to win now and get out. Let some other HC & GM deal with the headache in a couple yrs...my thought on it is Stafford will get an extension and when he hangs it up so will McVay.

The only people that want to tout off that McVay is far superior to Kyle are the people that have always hated on Kyle, their straw man debates are funny and painfully obvious. not really worth debating with them anymore. I'm proud to have him as our HC and I think a trip to the SB and NFCC the 2 of the past 3 yrs is damn good. Not many HCs can say they did that the past couple seasons.

Agree with the majority of this besides two small points. For one, they didn't pass on Stafford. Shanny said openly that he wanted to make a play for Stafford but there just wasn't the opportunity, Stafford and Mcvay had a relationship and he was Rams all the way. Second, Lynch has been aggressive in acquiring talent E.g. trading for Jimmy in 2017, trading for Sanders in 2019 and taking a huge swing to trade up to get Trey last year. That being said, these don't really match what the Rams have done but they have been far from passive in that respect.

FWIW we didn't pass up on Stafford, he's wanted to play in LA for the past two yrs. Det and LA had a relationship in their FOs and moving Goff was part of the equation as well.

I mean DC reportedly offer their 1st and "more immediate help than what the Lions landed"

Panther's gave up their 8th overall pick and then some according to Breer.

End of the day he was going to LA and the DET GM (former LA FO) did LA a solid.

Did we pass on Manning or did he just want to play in Denver end of the day? I can't remember how that went down...Brady was a miss for sure.
Originally posted by ritz126:
this

its like people are so reactionary and dont think critically. One franchise sold out to win in next 2 years or so. One franchise is built to win now but also set themselves up to be a potential winner in next 10 years

I think both are top 5 coaches but i think Shannahan has proven himself to be clearly better. Rams were SB favorites to begin the season

It's not like we didn't make moves either....traded for the best LT in football. traded for a top EDGE who simply couldn't stay healthy. Trade for Sanders during the SB run. Also made the biggest trade in franchise history last draft.

When you're trying to trade for those star vets, they have a say in where they want to go. SF is clearly appealing BUT LA is always a top destination no matter what sport it is. That's never gonna change.
I understand supporting Shanahan. But what's with the anti mcvay people? The guy has taken the team to 2 superbowls in 5 years, is a superbowl champion, and is the youngest coach to win a superbowl. This is the guy that Shanahan yelled at for not laminating his play sheet.

The guy has been extremely successful and a great hire and if you can't be envious of that you've got homer goggles on.

Yeah good for him sweet, they won....Doug Peterson won a SB before McVay and no one is saying he's better than him or Shanny lol.

their GM/owner/HC continue to go all in and it paid off for once. I agree if he doesn't plan on being there for the long haul might as well do whatever to win now and get out. Let some other HC & GM deal with the headache in a couple yrs...my thought on it is Stafford will get an extension and when he hangs it up so will McVay.

The only people that want to tout off that McVay is far superior to Kyle are the people that have always hated on Kyle, their straw man debates are funny and painfully obvious. not really worth debating with them anymore. I'm proud to have him as our HC and I think a trip to the SB and NFCC the 2 of the past 3 yrs is damn good. Not many HCs can say they did that the past couple seasons.

I think the fact that they were once peers and Shanahan was essentially his boss adds fuel to this fire.

There's two ways I look at what happened in the NFCCG and then the SB. I was embarrassed because of the 6 wins in a row thing. All the trash some of us were talking like we were guaranteed that 7th win. I was NOT one of them. As Shanahan stated in some press conference "It's tough to beat those guys one time, let alone 6." We could have owned LA in their stadium and then won the SB in their stadium. It was truly an opportunity missed. And I am SAD because of it. The Padawan beat the Master when it mattered the most. I felt shame for Shanahan. Rams, McVay, Donald, etc all got the last laugh.

Then I remember how we even got to the NFCCG. The week 18 LA game. We freakin beat Dallas and GB in their home courts respectively. I mean talk about two of our biggest rivals and what comes with all that. We took LA to the limit and honestly should have won. The Niners had an extremely respectable season that even LA fans cannot dispute. I THINK that LA fans were certainly screaming "F the Niners" after they won, but deep down they respect the hell out of them.

As another poster stated, LA won the battle this year, but not the war. If Lance is just "good," he will thrive in this offense and we will be better next year. I still think Shanahan will end with more rings than McVay and will be a HC for another 30 years or so. It sucks McVay got his first. We'll see what kind of man Shanahan is next season.
Originally posted by ritz126:
this

It's not like we didn't make moves either....traded for the best LT in football. traded for a top EDGE who simply couldn't stay healthy. Trade for Sanders during the SB run. Also made the biggest trade in franchise history last draft.

When you're trying to trade for those star vets, they have a say in where they want to go. SF is clearly appealing BUT LA is always a top destination no matter what sport it is. That's never gonna change.

Trent Williams was a big trade but Dee Ford is not something would classify as a big trade. I mean Rams are pulling a basaeball type of moves

Traded 2 first for Jalen Ramsey
Traded 2 first for Stafford (34 years old)
Traded for Von miller who is a FA after this year

I dont think they had many big FA signings you could argue OBJ which is a fair point but they built a roster through trading high draft picks.

Also im not arguing against this strategy they clearly had the best roster in the NFL thats why they were SB favorites and that was before von miller and OBJ came which only made them stronger.

But on the flip side there is no arguing this will hurt them long term
[ Edited by ritz126 on Feb 15, 2022 at 7:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone