Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

Mcvay can win the big game. But not Shanahan.

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

Doesn't that tell you how bad of a HC Shanny10 is ?

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..

Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.

One thing to consider about the overall record between the two. The L.A. team that McVay took over was a lot closer to what we were when Jim Harbaugh took over, a team with good amount of pieces already there, and about take off. That in no way was a ground up rebuild. The other thing is just a change of philosophy acquiring players. The Rams morgage their (eventual) future for established vets. While we take more of a draft and develop position. Theoretically the draft and develop approach keeps your competitve window open longer, while an approach like the Rams you find yourself with a bunch of guys who are down to their last 5-7 years of playing. It will be interesting to see how long the Rams can keep it going, but eventually that roster is going to get old and it may happen quickly (between 2-3 years. Honestly if the roles were reversed and eash team hired the other coach in 2017 I'm not sure each teams outcomes would have been much different from where they are now.
Originally posted by Silky:
I think the fact that they were once peers and Shanahan was essentially his boss adds fuel to this fire.

There's two ways I look at what happened in the NFCCG and then the SB. I was embarrassed because of the 6 wins in a row thing. All the trash some of us were talking like we were guaranteed that 7th win. I was NOT one of them. As Shanahan stated in some press conference "It's tough to beat those guys one time, let alone 6." We could have owned LA in their stadium and then won the SB in their stadium. It was truly an opportunity missed. And I am SAD because of it. The Padawan beat the Master when it mattered the most. I felt shame for Shanahan. Rams, McVay, Donald, etc all got the last laugh.

Then I remember how we even got to the NFCCG. The week 18 LA game. We freakin beat Dallas and GB in their home courts respectively. I mean talk about two of our biggest rivals and what comes with all that. We took LA to the limit and honestly should have won. The Niners had an extremely respectable season that even LA fans cannot dispute. I THINK that LA fans were certainly screaming "F the Niners" after they won, but deep down they respect the hell out of them.

As another poster stated, LA won the battle this year, but not the war. If Lance is just "good," he will thrive in this offense and we will be better next year. I still think Shanahan will end with more rings than McVay and will be a HC for another 30 years or so. It sucks McVay got his first. We'll see what kind of man Shanahan is next season.

The padawan hand a light saber (Stafford) and the master didn't lol.

Niners need better QB play plain and simple, when McVay had a similar QB (Goff) to what Kyle had we won more often then not. Even when SF had Mullens or when McVay had a much better QB in Stafford, KS still won more than lost.

End of the day Jimmy was banged up and played horrible in the playoffs. It's so hard to win in the playoffs when your QB has more INTs then TDs and is avg 170 yards per game...SF didn't run the ball well all through the playoffs and they were STILL a late FG away from going to the SB. I just don't understand how a objective fan can't understand all of that and give Kyle some props for what he did this yr. Yes he wasn't perfect and there's some WTF moments (same with McVay and other top end HCs). But overall he was really good more more often then not.

Whatever with McVay, good for him. He should be winning a SB with that roster. If we can get better QB play we will win as well....might not be next yr but soon.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
this

I'm confused by the people bashing shannahan and propping McVay in this thread

its like people are so reactionary and dont think critically. One franchise sold out to win in next 2 years or so. One franchise is built to win now but also set themselves up to be a potential winner in next 10 years

I think both are top 5 coaches but i think Shannahan has proven himself to be clearly better. Rams were SB favorites to begin the season

It's not like we didn't make moves either....traded for the best LT in football. traded for a top EDGE who simply couldn't stay healthy. Trade for Sanders during the SB run. Also made the biggest trade in franchise history last draft.

When you're trying to trade for those star vets, they have a say in where they want to go. SF is clearly appealing BUT LA is always a top destination no matter what sport it is. That's never gonna change.

Trent Williams was a big trade but Dee Ford is not something would classify as a big trade. I mean Rams are pulling a basaeball type of moves

Traded 2 first for Jalen Ramsey
Traded 2 first for Stafford (34 years old)
Traded for Von miller who is a FA after this year

I dont think they had many big FA signings you could argue OBJ which is a fair point but they built a roster through trading high draft picks.

Also im not arguing against this strategy they clearly had the best roster in the NFL thats why they were SB favorites and that was before von miller and OBJ came which only made them stronger.

But on the flip side there is no arguing this will hurt them long term

Right, and once those players get old they will lack the premium picks necessary give that team an infusion of youth.
I think the fact that they were once peers and Shanahan was essentially his boss adds fuel to this fire.

There's two ways I look at what happened in the NFCCG and then the SB. I was embarrassed because of the 6 wins in a row thing. All the trash some of us were talking like we were guaranteed that 7th win. I was NOT one of them. As Shanahan stated in some press conference "It's tough to beat those guys one time, let alone 6." We could have owned LA in their stadium and then won the SB in their stadium. It was truly an opportunity missed. And I am SAD because of it. The Padawan beat the Master when it mattered the most. I felt shame for Shanahan. Rams, McVay, Donald, etc all got the last laugh.

Then I remember how we even got to the NFCCG. The week 18 LA game. We freakin beat Dallas and GB in their home courts respectively. I mean talk about two of our biggest rivals and what comes with all that. We took LA to the limit and honestly should have won. The Niners had an extremely respectable season that even LA fans cannot dispute. I THINK that LA fans were certainly screaming "F the Niners" after they won, but deep down they respect the hell out of them.

As another poster stated, LA won the battle this year, but not the war. If Lance is just "good," he will thrive in this offense and we will be better next year. I still think Shanahan will end with more rings than McVay and will be a HC for another 30 years or so. It sucks McVay got his first. We'll see what kind of man Shanahan is next season.

Niners need better QB play plain and simple, when McVay had a similar QB (Goff) to what Kyle had we won more often then not. Even when SF had Mullens or when McVay had a much better QB in Stafford, KS still won more than lost.

End of the day Jimmy was banged up and played horrible in the playoffs. It's so hard to win in the playoffs when your QB has more INTs then TDs and is avg 170 yards per game...SF didn't run the ball well all through the playoffs and they were STILL a late FG away from going to the SB. I just don't understand how a objective fan can't understand all of that and give Kyle some props for what he did this yr. Yes he wasn't perfect and there's some WTF moments (same with McVay and other top end HCs). But overall he was really good more more often then not.

Whatever with McVay, good for him. He should be winning a SB with that roster. If we can get better QB play we will win as well....might not be next yr but soon.

As long as we are in the running for the Super Bowl consistently I'm happy. As long as we keep knocking on that door I think will break through at some point.
Trent Williams was a big trade but Dee Ford is not something would classify as a big trade. I mean Rams are pulling a basaeball type of moves

Traded 2 first for Jalen Ramsey
Traded 2 first for Stafford (34 years old)
Traded for Von miller who is a FA after this year

I dont think they had many big FA signings you could argue OBJ which is a fair point but they built a roster through trading high draft picks.

Also im not arguing against this strategy they clearly had the best roster in the NFL thats why they were SB favorites and that was before von miller and OBJ came which only made them stronger.

But on the flip side there is no arguing this will hurt them long term

Ford was a 2nd rd pick and coming off an amazing year...he had 13 sacks and more QB hits then anyone I believe. They also paid him top end money. Not some legendry trade but not small at the time either.

I never said they were in the same ball part with LA, but rather they most certainly haven't been sitting on their thumbs not making moves.

Part of that Stafford trade was moving Goff and is huge ass contract. That played a part in having to give up a 2nd 1st.

I'm down for a little bit of both. Drafting is still the best way to build a franchise long-term...but if you're a couple players away from winning it all, I got no problem investing in now to get over the top
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
This guy Routinely loses the big game with big leads. Championship games and Super Bowls. He's actually horrific in those games. Especially with a lead.

So it was horrific to call plays where Aiyuk was wide open and didn't get the ball?

McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't. McVay was an idiot in our game but his stars made more plays. Dude made terrible challenges, s**t timeouts and got lucky our guys didn't execute. That's how it goes sometimes.

And while I'm not a tin foil hat guy…sometimes calls or no calls can swing a game and suddenly one coach looks like a chump and "can't win the big one" and another won.

you said it yourself... McVay was an idiot.... and KS10 still couldn't win the game..

"McVay's players made plays when they had to. Shanahan's players didn't"

Not to mention, maybe you forgot, but our defense held them to 7 points for 3 quarters, which rarely happens to their explosive offense

Defense got gassed. Our QB couldn't carry the team when we needed him to and most of that (unable to execute) wasn't on Shanny, Einstein

Ya but whose choice was it to continue to run the ball up the middle into a wall DL. That's not on the qb that's the play caller. I highly doubt JG10 audible called all the plays into runs that we're getting nowhere all game. That's on the coach. An that's why we lost. The run is getting stuffed all game, we have a 3rd an 2 that we HAVE TO convert to have a chance at winning…..an he runs our FB up the middle. Again. Into a….you guessed it a wall.

Terrible terrible play call. WRs we're wide open right behind the DL. Right where JG10 thrives. I wish he woulda said f**k you shanahan I'm not throwin this game I'm gonna go win an audibled into his own plays. Was like that all game. That's not on the qb that's on the coaching an that's the main reason we lost.

let's just hope the coach that called those idiotic season ending plays is now in Miami an not in SF.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

As long as we are in the running for the Super Bowl consistently I'm happy. As long as we keep knocking on that door I think will break through at some point.

Agreed. Also you can ask for is getting into the playoffs, after that all bets are off. I don't think anyone thought Cinci was gonna make it to the SB either. End of the day you need legit QB play.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I understand supporting Shanahan. But what's with the anti mcvay people? The guy has taken the team to 2 superbowls in 5 years, is a superbowl champion, and is the youngest coach to win a superbowl. This is the guy that Shanahan yelled at for not laminating his play sheet.

The guy has been extremely successful and a great hire and if you can't be envious of that you've got homer goggles on.

I don't think most people are anti-McVay....it's that people have somehow tried to create a narrative that he's on some massive other level then Kyle as a coach. Which simply isn't true. They're both great coaches.

They most certainly didn't start on equal playing fields with the rosters....their owner/GM had vastly different ways to build their roster. I would expect LA to be in the SB and win it with the amount of talent they traded for this yr. They were talked about as SB contenders from day 1 this yr, SF not so much....Stafford is on a different level to Jimmy and there's really no way around it....just look at their playoff numbers this yr. Kyle had this team playing their nuts off all year, even when they were 3-5 and everyone thought they had no chance. Outside of a couple homer fans, no one thought they'd be a late FG away from going to the SB this yr at that point.

Oh I'm sure Kyle got yelled at by all kinds of coaches while coming up in the league as well....John Gruden was an ass to his assistants all the same. everyone has to pay their dues.

Also people don't have to s**t on Kyle to prop up McVay either...that's what a lot of people are doing after the fact. Works both ways.
I understand supporting Shanahan. But what's with the anti mcvay people? The guy has taken the team to 2 superbowls in 5 years, is a superbowl champion, and is the youngest coach to win a superbowl. This is the guy that Shanahan yelled at for not laminating his play sheet.

The guy has been extremely successful and a great hire and if you can't be envious of that you've got homer goggles on.

They are both great coaches, being envious is a bit wierd but the majority of the teams in the league would be stoked to have either one.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

Honestly mcvay is hands down better than shanahan. He has never had a losing season since starting as a head coach been to two Superbowls and won one. And he had Goff and he still had winning seasons.

It's blind homerism on that debate.

Now I will say that I think shanahan may be better than Carroll. Wilson is just that good that he can make up for their constant terrible drafting and boneheaded plays. I'm not sure Carroll can hack it anymore.

Both shanahan and mcvay have things to learn. Shanahan has Improved on his poor clock management but sometimes he gets really uncreative with play calling.

Mcvay needs to quite wasting timeouts on dumb challenges.

He's better at scheming guys open. Kupp basically was unstoppable in the playoffs even getting double teams and teams knowing they had to stop him. Mcvay was able to scheme him open.

One thing to consider about the overall record between the two. The L.A. team that McVay took over was a lot closer to what we were when Jim Harbaugh took over, a team with good amount of pieces already there, and about take off. That in no way was a ground up rebuild. The other thing is just a change of philosophy acquiring players. The Rams morgage their (eventual) future for established vets. While we take more of a draft and develop position. Theoretically the draft and develop approach keeps your competitve window open longer, while an approach like the Rams you find yourself with a bunch of guys who are down to their last 5-7 years of playing. It will be interesting to see how long the Rams can keep it going, but eventually that roster is going to get old and it may happen quickly (between 2-3 years. Honestly if the roles were reversed and eash team hired the other coach in 2017 I'm not sure each teams outcomes would have been much different from where they are now.

https://overthecap.com/2021-season-preview-the-nfls-youngest-and-oldest-rosters/

They have a younger roster than us.

I don't think most people are anti-McVay....it's that people have somehow tried to create a narrative that he's on some massive other level then Kyle as a coach. Which simply isn't true. They're both great coaches.

They most certainly didn't start on equal playing fields with the rosters....their owner/GM had vastly different ways to build their roster. I would expect LA to be in the SB and win it with the amount of talent they traded for this yr. They were talked about as SB contenders from day 1 this yr, SF not so much....Stafford is on a different level to Jimmy and there's really no way around it....just look at their playoff numbers this yr. Kyle had this team playing their nuts off all year, even when they were 3-5 and everyone thought they had no chance. Outside of a couple homer fans, no one thought they'd be a late FG away from going to the SB this yr at that point.

Oh I'm sure Kyle got yelled at by all kinds of coaches while coming up in the league as well....John Gruden was an ass to his assistants all the same. everyone has to pay their dues.

Also people don't have to s**t on Kyle to prop up McVay either...that's what a lot of people are doing after the fact. Works both ways.

Bingo.
Originally posted by stefano89:
Ya but whose choice was it to continue to run the ball up the middle into a wall DL. That's not on the qb that's the play caller. I highly doubt JG10 audible called all the plays into runs that we're getting nowhere all game. That's on the coach. An that's why we lost. The run is getting stuffed all game, we have a 3rd an 2 that we HAVE TO convert to have a chance at winning…..an he runs our FB up the middle. Again. Into a….you guessed it a wall.

Terrible terrible play call. WRs we're wide open right behind the DL. Right where JG10 thrives. I wish he woulda said f**k you shanahan I'm not throwin this game I'm gonna go win an audibled into his own plays. Was like that all game. That's not on the qb that's on the coaching an that's the main reason we lost.

let's just hope the coach that called those idiotic season ending plays is now in Miami an not in SF.

No no no....Jimmy audibled plenty in the SB and NFCC. When you hear him say "cannn" that's a audible. Jimmy get's multiple plays each down and makes the call based on the pre-snap coverage. Mostert talked about one audible from the NFCC game where they had OL going the wrong way on a run....Jimmy changed the call and because of how loud it was half the OL didn't hear the change. s**t like that happens.

You want to talk about bad play calls....what about the half a dozen missed reads by Jimmy? Guys were WIDE open and he simply didn't see them or didn't pull the trigger. There's numerous clips of this and has been discussed plenty.

Here's just one thread (multiple plays) of good play calls and missed chances by our QB. End of the day players gotta execute...and if not get the f**k of the field and find someone that will do it.

I get complaining about a couple plays here and there...thinking it's just plain bad play calling all the time when not even realizing what the play were or watching the all-22 is silly.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 15, 2022 at 7:56 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree. It just takes a bit of luck (see how *lucky* the Rams were on those holding calls ) to get to the super bowl and win. You do have to have the QB and the talent, but it also takes a bit of luck. Gone are the days where you can assemble a perennial powerhouse team like the Dynasty years -- the salary cap just won't let you keep a team like the dynasty teams of the past together past one year anymore. The most recent dynasty team -- the Patriots -- centered around the QB and a constant year to year rebuild via trade, draft, and cap management. It looks like ShanaLynch is trying to emulate something like the Patriots and something like Fat Andy's development of Mahomes. Kudos to them, and the fact that they were 3 points away from getting back to the Lombardi game. All in all, I was very happy how the season turned out, but pissed that we fell short again. Rams are going to regress next year, and I think if ShanaLynch plays their cards right, the 49er dominance of the NFC west starts next year.
FWIW we didn't pass up on Stafford, he's wanted to play in LA for the past two yrs. Det and LA had a relationship in their FOs and moving Goff was part of the equation as well.

I mean DC reportedly offer their 1st and "more immediate help than what the Lions landed"

Panther's gave up their 8th overall pick and then some according to Breer.

End of the day he was going to LA and the DET GM (former LA FO) did LA a solid.

Did we pass on Manning or did he just want to play in Denver end of the day? I can't remember how that went down...Brady was a miss for sure.

And why do you think Stafford was high on McVay? He wa.nted him, they were in sell it all to win now. When you come at someone luke warm that's the response you get back

Out org has the tendency to out a value tag on someone. We even did it with Shanny's love child and ended up the younger, cheaper available now option over him
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 15, 2022 at 8:35 AM ]

Envious?

Why would I be envious of someone else's hot GF when I have my own hot GF?

#Faithful
Share 49ersWebzone