LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 281 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by stefano89:
im not here to join the obvious " whose more at fault Jimmy or shanahan" fight thats goin on in here. im just saying the majority of the reason we lost this years NFC game was coaching. not only coaching but the majority. responsibiltiy for that loss i think goes coaching then QB play then Defensive play. with coaching being #1 easily.

Well you kinda are joining that convo with this statement lol... I just showed you about 7 plays that could have changed the outcome of that game easily. People like to b***h about coaching and don't look at what was happening on a given play. The proof was right there, our QB didn't make the plays end of the day. It's hard to win with that s**t happening. I mean go look at the playoffs overall...our QB was BY FAR the worst performing QB in the draft and we still almost got to the SB. THAT IS GOOD COACHING IMO.

yes our run game is our strength, and pounding teams down has gotten us SOME wins. not all. but well into this NFC title game our run game wasnt pounding s**t. we got nowhere. the rams D sat their LBs right there at the LOS all game an dared us to pass and what do we do? run right into them. over an over an over an over. do you know what the definition of insanity is? our game plan in the NFC title game. look it up.

Dude why do you think our run game failed? You don't think it was because teams knew our QB can't make the plays needed end of the day? Deebo even said the reason we lost was because LA went all in to stop the run game, forcing SF to throw it. Word for word that's what he said....passing the ball is the reason we lost, I mean come on let's call a spade a spade for once. Kyle had the plays right there and our guy couldn't execute. What are you expecting? how much similar can Kyle make it for our QB? He hardly had to throw the football this yr, didn't have to make these elite throws and had a great defense on the other end.

JG10 had wide open guys in the middle of the field in short to mid range all over the 2nd half, an yes he missed some of those passes but you can tell that taking advantage of those open guys was not in their game plan. that 2nd half was just a few key passes away from getting us a W then leading to us pounding the bengals.
JG10 didnt have one of his games, he didnt have a titans game. he played just good enough to win that day. idiotic calls like a FB run when your getting stuffed all day lost us that game. terrible timeclock an TO management lost us that game. leaving a hobbled trent williams in the game when hes a clear liability (AND HIS REPLACEMENT DID f**kIN FINE AGAINST THE RAMS LAST TIME) lost us that game.

since everyone thinks this is a "its shanny or jimmy" thing, shannys the best offensive coach wev had in a long time. a loooong time. hes not goin anywhere. but if he refuses to learn an change an grow from his experiences an mistakes, ladies an gents we are f**ked, prepare for more of the same.

I have no idea what you're talking about here....yes we had guys open all over the field and our QB did NOT take advantage of it. Ayiuk should have had 200 yards man. You can see it the all-22, he was visibly pissed off and for good reason. It's the freaking playoffs your most important player has to show up. Avg 170 yards a game and throwing more INTS then TDS is NOT gonna cut it. You think calling a FB run lost us the game lol? Never mind the other 50 plays....all Jimmy had to do was make ONE more play that's it.

What does he have to change? explain? Since he's come here he's changed the run game, it's not just OZ. He's changed how he evaluates WRs. He's played Jimmy a s**t ton out of shot gun, instead of under center. I have no idea what you legit are expecting? I love how people throw blind words out there like "he's the reason we lost" or "he needs to change" and offer nothing of substance to backup that statement?

Look he's still a young coach and has made his mistakes, EVERY coach does...he done more good things then bad things....by FAR.

we shoulda passed the ball more in the NFC title game. we ran too much, passed too little. its really that simple. i thought i made that point clear in my posts but i guess i didnt.

like i said, we were a few good passes in the 2nd half away from a W. a few very completable passes by JG10. the team decided to not do that an just keep running it. source of our L. right there. the person who made that decision for the team holds that responsibiltiy the most.

if that was JG10 then its him, if its shanny then thats him. i think it was shanny. we can love shanny an still be critical of him costing us another chance at #6. if some of you guys hate JG10 ok it is what it is. but we cant let that make us blind to what really happend right in front of our eyes.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
This offseason Shanahan will be doing which of the following:

A) Holding on to Jimmy Gs right leg as he tries to board a plane to Washington DC as the new quarterback of the Commanders

B) s**tting in his pants watching Trey Lance in practice

C) On the phone with Tom Brady crying in tears for him to unretire

D) Apologizing to Aaron Rodgers for the 49ers drafting Alex Smith over him and telling him that Lynch do whatever he can to get Davante Adams to SF

E) Basking in Cabo San Lucus confident in Trey Lance to take over the reigns

F) Planning a 49 mile parade route from Santa Clara to SF
documented? where? i havent seen that all year, but i havent been paying attention to that either. maybe i missed an article. regardless do you really think FOs an coaches reveal to the public an media all their moves, plans an decisions. no. the media is for creating stories, not reporting the truth an facts. the FOs of NFL teams know this as well. they tell the media what they want to tell them. an that is not at all close to everything, or always accurate.

a year ago our FO was saying our plan was 100% to move forward with JG10 as our starter, just weeks later we made one of the biggest draft pick trades in the teams history to get one of the top 3 QBs. i highly highly doubt we were not in the stafford sweepstakes and i hope we are in the TB12 sweepstakes.

good for tom if hes on the beach right now, i would be too if i were him. but that 100% does not mean he cant play football in 2022.

Kyle on the Flying coach pod with McVay said they were told nothing was happening the weekend it actually did.

On The Ringer's Flying Coach podcast with Rams head coach Sean McVay and NFL Network's Peter Schrager (h/t NFL.com's Kevin Patra), Shanahan recalled watching tape on Stafford in anticipation of a trade:

"You don't want to get me started, dude. That was frustrating. I was in Cabo. I was watching it all. ... I remember looking through it cuz everyone was telling me it was a possibility. Stafford's the man. I studied him hard coming out of college, and you always play against him, so you know how good he is. But to know he might be available and to spend two weeks really watching him, Sean, yeah, he's better than I had realized. He was the man. And he's actually underrated to me. So, I know how good of a guy you got. I know how good he is at play action. I know how smart he is. Not only does he just have a big arm, but he's got touch, and he knows where to go with the ball. So, I was trying to get involved in it."

Shanahan continued by revealing how he learned the trade was about to go down with the NFC West rival Rams swooping in to steal Stafford away from the 49ers:

"I remember Saturday, I was so stressed out, and finally we talked to someone, it was 7 at night, and they're like, 'No, nothing's happening at the earliest until tomorrow, so you can finish your night.' So, I'm like, 'All right, I'm done.' Put my phone down, talked to Mandy. I'm like, 'All right, let's go out to dinner, let's have some drinks.' Half an hour later, my buddy calls me and is like, 'I'm just telling ya, if you want Stafford, you need to get a hold of him right now.' I'm like, 'What do you mean? No, we just talked to people. I can sleep on this. We'll talk to them tomorrow.' 'I'm just telling you, you need to talk to him right now.' ... And then 10 minutes later it was all over."

Straight from our HC's mouth.....

Stafford was always going to LA there where dots to connect...if you care to go do some research and you will see. He wanted to go to LA and the FO relationship made it happen. That's how that s**t works sometimes.

Brady said he was retiring and until he says I want to play it's a nonstory and a waste of time to think about IMO. TB still holds his rights and they don't have to do s**t until after June 1st.
we shoulda passed the ball more in the NFC title game. we ran too much, passed too little. its really that simple. i thought i made that point clear in my posts but i guess i didnt.

like i said, we were a few good passes in the 2nd half away from a W. a few very completable passes by JG10. the team decided to not do that an just keep running it. source of our L. right there. the person who made that decision for the team holds that responsibiltiy the most.

if that was JG10 then its him, if its shanny then thats him. i think it was shanny. we can love shanny an still be critical of him costing us another chance at #6. if some of you guys hate JG10 ok it is what it is. but we cant let that make us blind to what really happend right in front of our eyes.

We tried to pass the ball man lol. Jimmy missed damn near half his reads. Our QB did not play up to the standards he needed to play at in the playoffs. It's really that simple and shouldn't be some massive discussion. The film doesn't lie...no one is being blind about anything. I mean I've shown you the film It's one of the reasons that the instant overreaction over bad playing calling is silly. You don't get to see the whole field during the game.

If you don't want to believe me go listen to Greg Cosell, he said the same thing
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:23 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
This offseason Shanahan will be doing which of the following:

A) Holding on to Jimmy Gs right leg as he tries to board a plane to Washington DC as the new quarterback of the Commanders

B) s**tting in his pants watching Trey Lance in practice

C) On the phone with Tom Brady crying in tears for him to unretire

D) Apologizing to Aaron Rodgers for the 49ers drafting Alex Smith over him and telling him that Lynch do whatever he can to get Davante Adams to SF

E) Basking in Cabo San Lucus confident in Trey Lance to take over the reigns

F) Planning a 49 mile parade route from Santa Clara to SF

G) Listening to Lil Wayne's new album.

We tried to pass the ball man lol. Jimmy missed damn near half his reads. Our QB did NOT play up to the standards he needed to play at in the playoffs. It's really that simple and shouldn't be some massive discussion. The film doesn't lie...the only one being blind is your right now. I mean I've shown you the film It's one of the reasons that the instant overreaction over bad playing calling is silly. You don't get to see the whole field during the game.

If you don't want to believe me go listen to Greg Cosell, he said the same s**t.

NFC Champ game QBR

JG 70.8
MS 61.9

Consider JG had busted hand and shoulder yet posted a higher rating. QBR is an aggregate stat taking into account total game performance.

Also consider per Peter King:

and there is absolutely no question that he is playing at a significant [dis]advantage (due to his thumb injury).

So busted hand JG posted a superior QBR to Matty S in the NFC Champ game. That's just a fact.

We tried to pass the ball man lol. Jimmy missed damn near half his reads. Our QB did not play up to the standards he needed to play at in the playoffs. It's really that simple and shouldn't be some massive discussion. The film doesn't lie...no one is being blind about anything. I mean I've shown you the film It's one of the reasons that the instant overreaction over bad playing calling is silly. You don't get to see the whole field during the game.

If you don't want to believe me go listen to Greg Cosell, he said the same thing

That L is on shanny more than anyone. Iv already said my piece an explained why. I agreed that QB play was a problem too but definitely LESS THAN coaching mistakes/decisions. I don't need to repeat myself.

we will have a diff qb next year so "we'll we'll we'll the qb couldn't make the throw" should no longer be a viable excuse for running doomed plays. Whether it TL5 or TB12 or whoever we have the ability now to get someone new back there. Keeping JG10 would not be the right move an if we do we have bigger problems.

That L is on shanny more than anyone. Iv already said my piece an explained why. I agreed that QB play was a problem too but definitely LESS THAN coaching mistakes/decisions. I don't need to repeat myself.

we will have a diff qb next year so "we'll we'll we'll the qb couldn't make the throw" should no longer be a viable excuse for running doomed plays. Whether it TL5 or TB12 or whoever we have the ability now to get someone new back there. Keeping JG10 would not be the right move an if we do we have bigger problems.

So who do you suggest we replace Kyle with?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

So who do you suggest we replace Kyle with?

Tomsula
People are always so desperate to assign blame. Every loss is like a witch hunt to see who should be burnt at the stake first.

It's impossible to have a 60 minute last minute loss without there being calls the playcallers wish they could have back, throws the qb wishes he could have back, missed assignments the OL wishes it could have back. DB's, WR, RB, DL, LB, whoever.

Who cares whether one person warrants 50% or 51% of the blame. A loss is a loss, there's plenty to go around and it's not hard for any individual to pin the blame to who they want.

All I believe is we're a better team with Kyle moving forward than any other coach we could get currently.

i think shanahan tried to do that. i think we offered alot for stafford. this offense with a passer like that would be unstoppable. but in the end the rams were willing to give away more than us, which is kind of their fav thing to do, but look at what it netted them. maybe now shanny realizes it is worth it. i think it is. vet FAs are proven, draft picks are not. even if their first rounders.

this is why i believe we are trying to bring TB12 in. our D an run game is so strong we wouldnt even need a TB12 at his peak. 45 year old TB12 could do wonders for our struggles.

The Bucs will not trade him to us. No different than Rodgers. Pipe dream
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Feb 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
People are always so desperate to assign blame. Every loss is like a witch hunt to see who should be burnt at the stake first.

It's impossible to have a 60 minute last minute loss without there being calls the playcallers wish they could have back, throws the qb wishes he could have back, missed assignments the OL wishes it could have back. DB's, WR, RB, DL, LB, whoever.

Who cares whether one person warrants 50% or 51% of the blame. A loss is a loss, there's plenty to go around and it's not hard for any individual to pin the blame to who they want.

All I believe is we're a better team with Kyle moving forward than any other coach we could get currently.

• pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

Thank you. All of this.
this is a cause and effect,yes kyle has ego remember 2017 is why we have not have won a 6ring .not drafting a quarterback with talent compared to your scheme quarterback and trading for a guy who does not fit your vertical passing game .shows your ego out weighs what is important to the team .you got to admit kyle hands are tied yes he has to be conservative but once again 2017 is why we are not winning
Originally posted by lanceSermon28:
this is a cause and effect,yes kyle has ego remember 2017 is why we have not have won a 6ring .not drafting a quarterback with talent compared to your scheme quarterback and trading for a guy who does not fit your vertical passing game .shows your ego out weighs what is important to the team .you got to admit kyle hands are tied yes he has to be conservative but once again 2017 is why we are not winning

I'm personally thankful Kyle didn't take the top QB in that draft. But you know super easy to judge it years later
Share 49ersWebzone