LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 272 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by lanceSermon28:
this is a cause and effect,yes kyle has ego remember 2017 is why we have not have won a 6ring .not drafting a quarterback with talent compared to your scheme quarterback and trading for a guy who does not fit your vertical passing game .shows your ego out weighs what is important to the team .you got to admit kyle hands are tied yes he has to be conservative but once again 2017 is why we are not winning

So you decided that Kyle has an ego and want to use hindsight and revisionist history to justify it.
Originally posted by lanceSermon28:
this is a cause and effect,yes kyle has ego remember 2017 is why we have not have won a 6ring .not drafting a quarterback with talent compared to your scheme quarterback and trading for a guy who does not fit your vertical passing game .shows your ego out weighs what is important to the team .you got to admit kyle hands are tied yes he has to be conservative but once again 2017 is why we are not winning
Where was Kyles ego when he admitted he may not be able to win with Jimmy, the QB he traded for, and trade three 1st round picks away to get Trey Lance? Seems like an egotistical person would stay with Jimmy.

just bc he passed on some QBs 5 years ago doesn't mean he has an ego problem.
The difference between Kyle and McVay is Kyle wants to be here longterm and wants a future. McVay on the other hand doesn't care about the future because he knows he is jumping ship and that bleak Rams future will be the next coaches problem. It's also why Donald is thinking retirement so early, Even though he won't admit that being the reason. He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.

People giving McVay all this praise for having the guts to go all-in and not worry about the future. It's easy to not worry about the future when you know you are not going to be part of it.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Feb 15, 2022 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:
The difference between Kyle and McVay is Kyle wants to be here longterm and wants a future. McVay on the other hand doesn't care about the future because he knows he is jumping ship and that bleak Rams future will be the next coaches problem. It's also why Donald is thinking retirement so early, Even though he won't admit that being the reason. He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.

People giving McVay all this praise for having the guts to go all-in and not worry about the future. It's easy to not worry about the future when you know you are not going to be part of it.

I want a ring
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
NFC Champ game QBR

JG 70.8
MS 61.9

Consider JG had busted hand and shoulder yet posted a higher rating. QBR is an aggregate stat taking into account total game performance.

Also consider per Peter King:

and there is absolutely no question that he is playing at a significant [dis]advantage (due to his thumb injury).

So busted hand JG posted a superior QBR to Matty S in the NFC Champ game. That's just a fact.

Why do you keep bring up QBR? Everyone keeps telling you its a flawed stat yet you keep tossing it out there like it's means something?

why not bring up QB rating? Oh wait it doesn't work for ya.

Jimmy missing reads has nothing to do with this thumb.
Originally posted by stefano89:
That L is on shanny more than anyone. Iv already said my piece an explained why. I agreed that QB play was a problem too but definitely LESS THAN coaching mistakes/decisions. I don't need to repeat myself.

we will have a diff qb next year so "we'll we'll we'll the qb couldn't make the throw" should no longer be a viable excuse for running doomed plays. Whether it TL5 or TB12 or whoever we have the ability now to get someone new back there. Keeping JG10 would not be the right move an if we do we have bigger problems.

no no actually the L is not more on Kyle and I've given you plenty of reasons as to why it's not. You've provided nothing but subjective takes with little actual film to back it up.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
People are always so desperate to assign blame. Every loss is like a witch hunt to see who should be burnt at the stake first.

It's impossible to have a 60 minute last minute loss without there being calls the playcallers wish they could have back, throws the qb wishes he could have back, missed assignments the OL wishes it could have back. DB's, WR, RB, DL, LB, whoever.

Who cares whether one person warrants 50% or 51% of the blame. A loss is a loss, there's plenty to go around and it's not hard for any individual to pin the blame to who they want.

All I believe is we're a better team with Kyle moving forward than any other coach we could get currently.

I can get behind this take.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why do you keep bring up QBR? Everyone keeps telling you its a flawed stat yet you keep tossing it out there like it's means something?

why not bring up QB rating? Oh wait it doesn't work for ya.

Jimmy missing reads has nothing to do with this thumb.

QBR is a horrible stat. QB rating also sucks lol.

Ever since the 28-3 SB where Matt Ryan had like a 40 point or so higher QB rating than Brady it's been obvious that stat doesn't tell who played better.

Have to look at the full picture. Now it's probably likely that if Jimmy wasn't injured he plays better. But it's pretty clear Matt Stafford can do some special things Jimmy has never showed and likely will never show because he doesn't have that arm talent and confidence in that arm as a result.

All this back and forth is silly right now anyways. Right now the Rams won. They have bragging rights and them cashing in all their chips won them them the tournament.

But what happens moving forward?

If this is gonna be the only SB they win with McVay/Stafford/Donald/Ramsey group while Trey turns into a long term stud QB for us who wins multiple SBs with Kyle then we'll know who made the wiser move.

Two ways to skin a cat or whatever the saying is. Rams did it their way…gotta said and hope our way ends up being the better way.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
This offseason Shanahan will be doing which of the following:

A) Holding on to Jimmy Gs right leg as he tries to board a plane to Washington DC as the new quarterback of the Commanders

B) s**tting in his pants watching Trey Lance in practice

C) On the phone with Tom Brady crying in tears for him to unretire

D) Apologizing to Aaron Rodgers for the 49ers drafting Alex Smith over him and telling him that Lynch do whatever he can to get Davante Adams to SF

E) Basking in Cabo San Lucus confident in Trey Lance to take over the reigns

A B C and D gave me a good laugh. I'm not sure about E, but I'm gonna go with other

F) Work hard with the kid, prepare for some bumps on the road to the playoffs (hoping for SB)
Originally posted by genus49:

Ever since the 28-3 SB where Matt Ryan had like a 40 point or so higher QB rating than Brady it's been obvious that stat doesn't tell who played better.

Have to look at the full picture. Now it's probably likely that if Jimmy wasn't injured he plays better. But it's pretty clear Matt Stafford can do some special things Jimmy has never showed and likely will never show because he doesn't have that arm talent and confidence in that arm as a result.

All this back and forth is silly right now anyways. Right now the Rams won. They have bragging rights and them cashing in all their chips won them them the tournament.

If this is gonna be the only SB they win with McVay/Stafford/Donald/Ramsey group while Trey turns into a long term stud QB for us who wins multiple SBs with Kyle then we'll know who made the wiser move.

Two ways to skin a cat or whatever the saying is. Rams did it their way…gotta said and hope our way ends up being the better way.

QB Rating just measures efficiency. It doesn't take game situation into account.

ESPN's QBR attempts to consider game situation, though a lot of people have issue with the weighting.

Under the ESPN QBR, Matt Ryan had an 81 QBR and Brady had a 75.8 QBR in that game. It's an odd comparison in that game though because Brady had triple the amount of passes, an INT, and each had radically different second half situations where Brady was passing his team to a win and Matt Ryan had to manage the game with a lead.

ESPN QBR TRIES to consider game situation, but I think it's a bit of a fool's errand to try appropriately weigh game situation in certain contexts.

Originally posted by genus49:

Oh I don't like QB rating either, I'm just pointing out a similar stat that disproves what he's trying to do….Both stats stink.

No one is playing at 💯 at that pt. Jimmy's banged up hand had nothing to do with him missing reads though. I mean how many times do we have to toss out that Jimmy was hurt, so he couldn't do his job? Aft some pt that excuse isn't an excuse and just who he's is. I respect him going out there and playing regardless, but man it's gotten pretty old.

yes it's all silly and the Rams won, who cares either way. They spent up for that SB and had to win (finally) to justify all of it. People act like they just started with this business model, but it's been going on for years.

I agree plenty of was to win it
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh I don't like QB rating either, I'm just pointing out a similar stat that disproves what he's trying to do….Both stats stink.

No one is playing at 💯 at that pt. Jimmy's banged up hand had nothing to do with him missing reads though. I mean how many times do we have to toss out that Jimmy was hurt, so he couldn't do his job? Aft some pt that excuse isn't an excuse and just who he's is. I respect him going out there and playing regardless, but man it's gotten pretty old.

yes it's all silly and the Rams won, who cares either way. They spent up for that SB and had to win (finally) to justify all of it. People act like they just started with this business model, but it's been going on for years.

I agree plenty of was to win it

Missing reads no but I do wonder if the injury made him avoid certain throws. Either way it's almost over with. I wish him well but I'm excited at our future with Trey and having an offense that has to be defended all over.
Overrated coach. Can't win the big game. Routinely chokes away a big lead in the big game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He loves pounding the rock - now with Trey he'll have a balanced attack.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He loves pounding the rock - now with Trey he'll have a balanced attack.

Trey can't even read the field, throw an accurate ball or throw a spiral. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Share 49ersWebzone