There are 269 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He loves pounding the rock - now with Trey he'll have a balanced attack.

Trey can't even read the field, throw an accurate ball or throw a spiral. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He'll be ready by opening day.

Trey can't even read the field, throw an accurate ball or throw a spiral. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We will see.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

We will see.

Guys, that is wishful thinking.

We all watched the Texans game right? Let's just say it wasn't pretty. Although it might feel like that was a long time ago, only it isn't. We played the Texans on Jan 2, that was only 1 1/2 months go. And needless to say Jimmy had taken all the 1st team reps until the 9ers got eliminated. To expect Lance to be fully ready by September is just not realistic.

Lynch and Shanny have to call Tom, is as simple as that. I don't care what they have to do, beg, borrow or steal, they have to get it done. They need to mend the fences and sign Tom.
Originally posted by Rascal:

We will see.

We all watched the Texans game right? Let's just say it wasn't pretty. Although it might feel like that was a long time ago, only it isn't. We played the Texans on Jan 2, that was only 1 1/2 months go. And needless to say Jimmy had taken all the 1st team reps until the 9ers got eliminated. To expect Lance to be fully ready by September is just not realistic.

Lynch and Shanny have to call Tom, is as simple as that. I don't care what they have to do, beg, borrow or steal, they have to get it done. They need to mend the fences and sign Tom.

We've must've watched different games. lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lanceSermon28:
this is a cause and effect,yes kyle has ego remember 2017 is why we have not have won a 6ring .not drafting a quarterback with talent compared to your scheme quarterback and trading for a guy who does not fit your vertical passing game .shows your ego out weighs what is important to the team .you got to admit kyle hands are tied yes he has to be conservative but once again 2017 is why we are not winning

Meh, Kyle's plan in 2017 was Kirk Cousins so he went defense in those early rounds. He had a 6 year contract, and he knew that he had time to build a team around his QB (at the time it was Kirk) who he was going to trade for in the offseason. He lucked into Jimmy, who is a fine QB, but does have limitations which showed up later. Injuries and the inability to process reads at the hall of fame level. Again, he's a fine QB and his intangibles are through the roof, just look at his winning percentage.

Keep in mind, even if Kyle passed on Mahomes in 2017, Kyle still was able to get to the super bowl with Jimmy in year 3 of his rebuild. He probably would have gotten to the super bowl even with Kirk Cousins, because I think he's that good of a coach. He'll get the best out of his QB. Now, fast forward to 2021 -- he drafts the most physically gifted (but raw as hell) QB of the entire 2021 draft. Trey would easily go Round 1, pick 1 in the 2022 draft. The future is very bright for the 49ers and Trey Lance. One reason is that Kyle can get the best out of his QB's, and for Trey - he's possibly at the legendary level in terms of physical talent and hopefully intangibles too. If things just break right for the Kid and ShanaLynch just drafts good (not even great) talent to surround Trey with, I think Trey will be dominating the NFC west, and possibly the NFC conference the way Aaron and Brees have done for a decade.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh I don't like QB rating either, I'm just pointing out a similar stat that disproves what he's trying to do….Both stats stink.

No one is playing at 💯 at that pt. Jimmy's banged up hand had nothing to do with him missing reads though. I mean how many times do we have to toss out that Jimmy was hurt, so he couldn't do his job? Aft some pt that excuse isn't an excuse and just who he's is. I respect him going out there and playing regardless, but man it's gotten pretty old.

yes it's all silly and the Rams won, who cares either way. They spent up for that SB and had to win (finally) to justify all of it. People act like they just started with this business model, but it's been going on for years.

I agree plenty of was to win it

Missing reads no but I do wonder if the injury made him avoid certain throws. Either way it's almost over with. I wish him well but I'm excited at our future with Trey and having an offense that has to be defended all over.

Yeah if he couldn't make those reads then he shouldn't have been playing….kyle sees him in practice and felt good enough there. Also there were good throws in that game just the same.

same I wish him well, I think we're all tired of debating Jimmy and the player he is. I'm excited for Lance too. I'm also not expecting him to come out and be Mahomes….some people are and will be crapping on him if he isn't, which imo isn't fair to him.
Originally posted by Rascal:

We will see.

What game were you watching? That second half was just fine for a 21 yr old kid who been a scout QB all yr and hasn't played a season of football since 2019.

Ended up with 250 yards 2 TDs 1INT QB rating 116 completed 70% of his passes 11.5 IAY. Dude played better then McCorkle vs the Texans (whom everyone loves in here). There's a slew of big boy throws from that game.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 16, 2022 at 4:04 AM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
We've must've watched different games. lol

He looked a lot more comfortable and natural in the 2nd half of that Texans game than he had previously. It was progress at least. The biggest to me is making sure that he has enough protection in front so that he doesn't get happy feet trying to constantly escape from pressure.
Kyles a good coach who puckers up in the big games when all the chips are on the table. He over thinks, goes away from his best player, and completely goes into his shell.
McVay had 4th down in their own territory and didn't even hesitate full on knowing that if they failed, the bengles would already be in field goal range. He Put the ball in his best players hands and went for it. Kyle just cannot do that in the same situation. He freezes up.
Can kyle shed the big game choker moniker? Man, I hope so.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Feb 16, 2022 at 6:01 AM ]
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Kyles a good coach who puckers up in the big games when all the chips are on the table. He over thinks, goes away from his best player, and completely goes into his shell.
McVay had 4th down in their own territory and didn't even hesitate full on knowing that if they failed, the bengles would already be in field goal range. He Put the ball in his best players hands and went for it. Kyle just cannot do that in the same situation. He freezes up.

Yeah you're right McVay totally called for Stafford to throw a no-look pass on 3rd down for all the marbles.

WOW what an amazing play call by McVay . McVay totally called for a nonexistent PI on 3rd down at the end of the game. Solid play call there.

Also McVay was damn near last in the NFL going for it on 4th down this yr.

Imagine if Kyle ran this play on 3rd in 5th mid 3rdQR on our side of the field....while losing? triggered city in the WZ

McVay ran the ball 23 times for 43 yards lol. 1.9 YPC....if that was Kyle and he kept trying to run it (like McVay did) people would riot.

Check out these offensive gurus...with Stafford, Burrow and a ton of stars. If that's Kyle half ya'll are crying for a yr over it.

Losing happens to every single HC end of the day...choking is such a lame label to put on anyone.

I've posted over and over some HOF HCs that have literally gone a decade or more without winning a SB. Why aren't they chokers?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 16, 2022 at 6:20 AM ]

Originally posted by genus49:
Oh I don't like QB rating either, I'm just pointing out a similar stat that disproves what he's trying to do….Both stats stink.

No one is playing at 💯 at that pt. Jimmy's banged up hand had nothing to do with him missing reads though. I mean how many times do we have to toss out that Jimmy was hurt, so he couldn't do his job? Aft some pt that excuse isn't an excuse and just who he's is. I respect him going out there and playing regardless, but man it's gotten pretty old.

yes it's all silly and the Rams won, who cares either way. They spent up for that SB and had to win (finally) to justify all of it. People act like they just started with this business model, but it's been going on for years.

I agree plenty of was to win it

Missing reads no but I do wonder if the injury made him avoid certain throws. Either way it's almost over with. I wish him well but I'm excited at our future with Trey and having an offense that has to be defended all over.

I don't, because he never threw those anyway.

Trey doesn't throw over them middle that much, however. We'll see how it goes, but he won't be able to feast if he doesn't get those Jimmy throws, too. At least the deep game will be a legitimate threat now.
Overrated coach. Can't win the big game. Routinely chokes away a big lead in the big game.

it took andy reid 10+ years
it took bill belichiek 6 years

consistently making playoff runs isn't choking the big game

chocking is being one and done in the playoffs

i swear people need to actually understand the game instead of being reactionary casuals
What McVay had more than anything was a top tier QB that went out and made plays on that final drive. McVay even talks about how play calling can only do so much...when it's 3rd down you NEED a QB that can make a play regardless of anything. Our QB didn't play to that level and at some pt that has to be factored in. You can only coach up and scheme so much when you're starting that far behind everyone else in the playoffs.

Overall IMO that game stunk on both sides. How many punts do people need to see to acknowledge that? Someone had to win at the end and the team with more talent came out on top. Aaron Donald made the stop at the end...go figure.
Originally posted by ritz126:
it took andy reid 10+ years
it took bill belichiek 6 years

consistently making playoff runs isn't choking the big game

chocking is being one and done in the playoffs

i swear people need to actually understand the game instead of being reactionary casuals

Dude he's a troll...he says the same exact thing over and over without acknowledging what others say in here or have a conversation about it.

He doesn't care what you or I say about anything regardless of how many truths you put in front of him. It's a massive waste of time and not worth acknowledging IMO.
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:

Yeah you're right McVay totally called for Stafford to throw a no-look pass on 3rd down for all the marbles.

This is just what happens when guys' egos are so strongly invested in Jimmy Garoppolo. It's so pervasive that other coaches are given credit for Super Bowl winning plays made by their players on other teams (so as to not praise a rival QB who everyone knows is better), and when our coach schemes someone wide open and the QB doesn't throw it, the claim is that Shanahan doesn't want the QB to throw it there.

Fortunately this will be over soon. For us anyway. Not so much for forum of whichever team trades for Jimmy, since half of these guys will go there.
Share 49ersWebzone