There are 182 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Just pointing out it's not a real comp in my mind a pass heavy O's TD passes vs our run heavy TD passes. That's like saying look some slugger has way more homers than Ichiro. Doesn't mean he's better. He's just asked to fulfill a different role than Ichiro. Better comp for Ichiro or any ballplayer would be something like WAR. QB rating is kinda like that for QBs.

Then just use TD% and INT% to compare

Stafford's TD% was 6.8% and his INT% was 2.8
Jimmy's TD% was 4.5% and his INT% was 2.7

In the Red Zone:
Stafford: 112 pass attempts, 32 TDs
Jimmy: 55 pass attempts, 15 TDs

Rams: 201 plays, 113 passes
49ers: 125 plays, 63 passes

Total Plays:
Rams: 1058, 607 passes (57%)
49ers: 1046, 514 passes (49%)

outside of the RZ stat (good add) the rest doesn't really affect TD % and none of it really affects INT % IMO. You could add that Jimmy having a lower IAY and still having damn near the same INT% as Stafford looks worse too.

TD% is the % of TDs thrown when attempting a pass. Same with INT % it's all relative.

Stafford was 2nd in the league in TD % (Jimmy was 13th)
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 16, 2022 at 12:34 PM ]
Just pointing out it's not a real comp in my mind a pass heavy O's TD passes vs our run heavy TD passes. That's like saying look some slugger has way more homers than Ichiro. Doesn't mean he's better. He's just asked to fulfill a different role than Ichiro. Better comp for Ichiro or any ballplayer would be something like WAR. QB rating is kinda like that for QBs.

Well I mean rating bakes all that stuff into the cake as well as other metrics. More comprehensive.

Well I mean rating bakes all that stuff into the cake as well as other metrics. More comprehensive.

Jimmy's QB rating in 2021 98.7
Stafford's QB rating in 2021 102.9

In the Red Zone:
Stafford: 112 pass attempts, 32 TDs
Jimmy: 55 pass attempts, 15 TDs

Rams: 201 plays, 113 passes
49ers: 125 plays, 63 passes

Total Plays:
Rams: 1058, 607 passes (57%)
49ers: 1046, 514 passes (49%)

outside of the RZ stat (good add) the rest doesn't really affect TD % and none of it really affects INT % IMO. You could add that Jimmy having a lower IAY and still having damn near the same INT% as Stafford looks worse too.

TD% is the % of TDs thrown when attempting a pass. Same with INT % it's all relative.

Stafford was 2nd in the league in TD % (Jimmy was 13th)

Yeah the RZ stuff was all I had in my original post and just wanted to add the rest for comparison.

80% of Staffords TDs came in the RZ and he had almost as many RZ passes as the 49ers had RZ plays.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Feb 16, 2022 at 12:44 PM ]
Yeah the RZ stuff was all I had in my original post and just wanted to add the rest for comparison.

80% of Staffords TDs came in the RZ and he had almost as many RZ passes as the 49ers had RZ plays.

Gotta score when you get in the RZ! SF was good at that this yr too.
Any chance he goes all John Wick gets fortune favors the brave tattooed on his back and starts going for the jugular? I think that McVay SB win may light an honest to god fire under his behind.
Two different O's with two different demands of the QB and different WR asks as well. Kupp is open every play whereby Deebo excels more at trucking people on the ground then taking a well deserved snap off to catch a breath. Your counting stats don't apply. Imagine comparing a starting pitchers K's to a relief pitcher. The starter has like 180 Ks the reliever like 50. Yet it's a misleading comparison. Better stat is K/9 which accounts for innings pitched. It would be the only sincere comparison.

With that in mind.

JG rating 98.9
MS rating 91.1

Career rating which is an all encompassing look at passer metrics with volume accounted for.

BA was open all damn game vs LA...Jimmy went full simple jack on a handful of plays. You talk about Kupp being open all game, but disregard where a TON of Jimmy's yards came from...yards after the catch. Jimmy lead the league in yards after the catch per completion. Stafford was 11th. Jimmy was 4th worse in AYTS (air yards to the sticks) Stafford was 4th best. Stafford was 3rd in completed air yards per completion. Jimmy 10th (which is actually high for him).

Why are you looking at career QB rating? We're talking about 2021 and Stafford playing for LA not the worst organization in football for a decade.

Stafford rating 102.9
Jimmy rating 98.7

Listen man they're simply different QBs with different skill sets and different ceilings. Is what it is...doesn't make Jimmy junk or anything. Stafford is just better than him and that's okay.

Stafford is better than Jimmy, but what I find interesting is that they needed every bit of that huge production out of him and Kupp to be SB champ.

If Stafford was on the Niners, would've been an easier SB ring for him, by far. He has the talent to create production through the air, and the run game would likely be even better than it has been and he could've leaned on that to guarantee wins if needed. The Rams really don't have the 49ers run game, and hence where I think his turnovers came from.

49ers really are that team. Smart NFL fans know this is the best team in the league if you remove the QB from it.

People talk about the Rams like they were some juggernaut. They aren't/weren't, and will never be.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Feb 16, 2022 at 4:53 PM ]
Kyle is about to unlock the full potential of his offense. Imagine the Falcon offense that Kyle was the architect of, but with a mobile QB. That offense was in the top 10 of all time. I believe Trey will be a superstar QB, and quicker than most think.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Kyle is about to unlock the full potential of his offense. Imagine the Falcon offense that Kyle was the architect of, but with a mobile QB. That offense was in the top 10 of all time. I believe Trey will be a superstar QB, and quicker than most think.

If Trey has some of the intangibles, accuracy, and consistency of some of our former QBs (I'll even take Jeff Garcia's level of stats) I can see Kyle moving towards a pass first philosophy vs a run first philosophy. Kyle will always have a big run component to his offense while he's been here, but what never seen from Kyle is that Arial attack that he had back with Matty Ice. It would be nice to see a passing attack as efficient and explosive as the '94 49ers again. Still, I'd rather have wins than passing stats any day. I want that 6th Lombardi.

Easier said than done... will the KS10 followers ever point to the HC if Lance becomes the next Trubisky?

Originally posted by 9moon:

Easier said than done... will the KS10 followers ever point to the HC if Lance becomes the next Trubisky?

most likely.

NY would have quite a time trying to spin that one.

Sure because we haven't decided in our head exactly how good a coach Shanny is.

Will you give him credit if Lance develops or will it all be due to Lance himself?
Any chance he goes all John Wick gets fortune favors the brave tattooed on his back and starts going for the jugular? I think that McVay SB win may light an honest to god fire under his behind.

It shouldn't take your division rival to light a fire under ass
Our coach is a choker
Originally posted by dmax:

It shouldn't take your division rival to light a fire under ass
Our coach is a choker

Yea kinda reminds me of how Andy Reid would be in the playoffs with the eagles and always choked it away. Even lost a superbowl .
Share 49ersWebzone