There are 202 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Once labeled a choker it's hard to shake. It's not the idea of not making it to the superbowl, it's being in position to win and failing to close.

Reid temporarily shook the label thanks to mahommes. But the last 2 years, especially this last bengals game, he's slowly getting that label back. Shanahans only way of shaking that label is closing out the big game. Unfair maybe, but true.

So what are you if you DON'T even make it to the Super Bowl (or even the divisional championship in some cases)....are you just a big fat loser? So what's worse just being a straight up loser for a decade or almost getting it done but not finishing your first 5 yrs as a HC?

So Tomlin, Payton, Carroll, both Harbs, Matt LaFleur, Mike Vrabel, McDermott etc are just big fat losers....they don't even get to choke because they can't even get to that position to have a chance too....wow every HC is a loser minus one guy every yr....who would have thought.

If you don't win a superbowl you are a loser. Shottenheimer? Loser. Reeves? Loser. Levy? Loser. I don't care how many winning seasons you have, or how many playoff games you've won. If you can't win the big game you are a loser. McDermott, lafleur, Vrabel, all losers u til they win the big game. Tomlin Payton Carroll Harbaugh all have won. And that goes with coaches and players. Sorry, but Marino, Fouts, rivers are all losers. You think if Patrick Willis would still be waiting for a hall of fame nod if he won that superbowl? Nope. He'd be in already. But that loss has tainted his career.
  • thl408
Once labeled a choker it's hard to shake. It's not the idea of not making it to the superbowl, it's being in position to win and failing to close.

Reid temporarily shook the label thanks to mahommes. But the last 2 years, especially this last bengals game, he's slowly getting that label back. Shanahans only way of shaking that label is closing out the big game. Unfair maybe, but true.

So what are you if you DON'T even make it to the Super Bowl (or even the divisional championship in some cases)....are you just a big fat loser? So what's worse just being a straight up loser for a decade or almost getting it done but not finishing your first 5 yrs as a HC?

So Tomlin, Payton, Carroll, both Harbs, Matt LaFleur, Mike Vrabel, McDermott etc are just big fat losers....they don't even get to choke because they can't even get to that position to have a chance too....wow every HC is a loser minus one guy every yr....who would have thought.

If you don't win a superbowl you are a loser. Shottenheimer? Loser. Reeves? Loser. Levy? Loser. I don't care how many winning seasons you have, or how many playoff games you've won. If you can't win the big game you are a loser. McDermott, lafleur, Vrabel, all losers u til they win the big game. Tomlin Payton Carroll Harbaugh all have won. And that goes with coaches and players. Sorry, but Marino, Fouts, rivers are all losers. You think if Patrick Willis would still be waiting for a hall of fame nod if he won that superbowl? Nope. He'd be in already. But that loss has tainted his career.

Such a simple way to view things. Whatever your profession is, have you achieved the pinnacle of it? If not, does that make you a failure/loser at it?
Originally posted by thl408:

Such a simple way to view things. Whatever your profession is, have you achieved the pinnacle of it? If not, does that make you a failure/loser at it?

Maybe simple, but it's reality, especially with professional sports.
  • thl408

Is Jimmy G a winner or loser? I say he's a winner.

Hey, is there anyway you could break down some plays Kyle called for Jimmy vs Trey and the differences between the 2 you seen in terms of each player executing .. would be really interesting to see
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Easier said than done... will the KS10 followers ever point to the HC if Lance becomes the next Trubisky?

You don't let go of really coaches. There are very very few of them out there. I think Kyle is a great coach. If I am Jed - I am letting Kyle coach as long as he wants to coach this team.

There is no chance that Lance turns into Trubisky but if he does - that's on him more than anything - and this is coming from a guy who wanted Lance over everyone in the draft.

I know imagine the alternative to this. We're arguing about Kyle's playcalling in SB's and Championship games. Many other teams and fans are arguing about how they could have gotten into the playoffs if they had only won in week 6 or some sh*t. We have a great coach. It's REALLY hard to win a SB. At least we've gained respect and we need to tweak a thing or two here and there with Kyle.

He's a loser until he wins the big game. I'm talking about public perception. It's not just football. Ewing, Malone, Stockton, even our beloved frank gore. All of their careers would be looked at differently had they win the big game. That's why Durant did what he did.
  • thl408
Originally posted by DJamhour:

Hey, is there anyway you could break down some plays Kyle called for Jimmy vs Trey and the differences between the 2 you seen in terms of each player executing .. would be really interesting to see

That sounds like an interesting study during the lull of the off-season. Obviously the QB runs are different but I wonder how different the passing plays were. I doubt it'd be very different since Trey was a backup and you don't re-design the offense for the backup since that's difficult for the other 10 guys. I do have the all22 from Trey's games.
He's a loser until he wins the big game. I'm talking about public perception. It's not just football. Ewing, Malone, Stockton, even our beloved frank gore. All of their careers would be looked at differently had they win the big game. That's why Durant did what he did.

Public perception among small minded Skip Bayless types that don't understand context.

You have a really sad way of looking at things and are probably disappointed a lot. Marino was elite and was a winner. So was Frank Gore at the end of his career (with us).

I'm cooking chicken parmesan tonight. Many people told me it's the best they've ever had. I know it's not up to the level of a professional chef, but in many people's eyes my chicken parm is a winner. Jimmy G is technically a winner. He wins more than loses. He would like my chicken parm.

That sounds like an interesting study during the lull of the off-season. Obviously the QB runs are different but I wonder how different the passing plays were. I doubt it'd be very different since Trey was a backup and you don't re-design the offense for the backup since that's difficult for the other 10 guys. I do have the all22 from Trey's games.

Yeah I meant the same exact plays being ran and how they execute it. I know Jimmy isn't gonna juke 2 guys and scramble for a 15 yard gain hahah.. but hope less risky runs are called for him instead of Qb draw up the gut, don't want another rg3 situation. Any film on trey and his tendencies at this point would be awesome but hope someone can compare the play execution of both qbs on the same play
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Public perception among small minded Skip Bayless types that don't understand context.

That's why I said it wasn't fair. But it's reality. It's how the public will percieve them. And Shanahan will be perceived as that unless he wins the big game. It's actually mandatory if he wants public perception of him to change.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

This. People like him are in the minority, thankfully.
  • thl408
Originally posted by DJamhour:

Yeah I meant the same exact plays being ran and how they execute it. I know Jimmy isn't gonna juke 2 guys and scramble for a 15 yard gain hahah.. but hope less risky runs are called for him instead of Qb draw up the gut, don't want another rg3 situation. Any film on trey and his tendencies at this point would be awesome but hope someone can compare the play execution of both qbs on the same play

Ahh got it. That would take some time to find two exact plays ran by both QBs but I might be able to recognize it if I watched Trey's plays more closely. Definitely would need to take notes while watching though.

If you don't win a SB for a decade or even make it to a divisional championship....you're a loser all the same. This league is about what have you done for me lately not what you did a decade ago.

Tomlin, Payton, Carroll John Harbs haven't won s**t for damn near a decade (or longer) AND that's with much better QB play then what we currently have. they're BIG FAT LOSERS all the same. Jim Harbs is a big fat loser in the NFL and in college I guess.

Completely disagree on Willis....Calvin Johnson didn't win s**t first ballot HOFer. Brian Urlacher didn't win s**t first ballot HOFer. You think Aaron Donald doesn't go to the HOF if he doesn't win a SB this yr? lol yeah right. JJ Watt will be a first ballot HOFer. Cris Carter HOFer, Larry Fitzgerald will be a first ballot HOFer Randy Moss, Barry Sanders etc.

So you think losing for a decade...because according to you not winning a SB (or even getting to a divisional championship) means you're a loser is better than actually making it to the big games and not finishing it? Not even being at the table at the end to even have a chance is better??

Come on now...let's put the bias stuff to the side for just a minute.
Share 49ersWebzone