There are 142 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I already point to the head coach for not drafting Mahomes (which I complain about frequently) and not trading up to get Josh Allen (would have cost less than the Bills most likely).
Josh Allen looked like trash for two seasons and up until last season, fans were wanting to get rid of him. Also, even Tyreek Hill thought Mahomes looked like trash in his first camp. No one knew. Buffalo and KC were reaching for straws.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I liked Josh Allen in 2017 actually, before he decided to stay for a year. Also liked Mahomes in 2017.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Jimmy's bread and butter is 3rd down when they have to be made. Kyle is so great? Scheme your guy open. Bs excuse.

Switch coaches in the championship game and 9ers lose by double digits. Switch qbs and they win by double.

Guys we're schemed open all game long.

Pretty much this.
Jimmy's bread and butter is 3rd down when they have to be made. Kyle is so great? Scheme your guy open. Bs excuse.

Switch coaches in the championship game and 9ers lose by double digits. Switch qbs and they win by double.

Pretty much this.

Same - significant number of plays where players were open. Excited for next year!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
Kyle gets too cute!?

What does this even mean? This isn't remember the Titans where there's only a handful of plays in the playbook. Kyle runs a complicated system. So unless you want a dumbed down elementary offense we can eliminate that as being too cute.

Okay so what else? We have these very impressive uniquely drawn up runs and/or passes. Deebo running out of the backfield, end arounds with wrs/tes, direct snap to Juice, T. Williams lining up at FB etc, etc... These plays are celebrated when they work. When they get stuffed it's too cute. When we are on 4th and short and we kick Kyle is not aggressive enough. When we run the ball 20 times in the 2nd half Kyle isn't aggressive enough. When we go for it on 4th and short Kyle is getting too cute and doesn't know how to manage the game. When we pass the ball with a lead late, Kyle is getting too cute and doesn't know how to manage the game.

It seems to me no matter what decision Kyle makes he's going to get flack. It seems the unfair criticism by some fans is inevitable. With hindsight and a clear vendetta they can shift the narrative to whatever looks bad for Kyle. Many of these people went the not taking Mac Jones is a big mistake route. Some are saying because he didn't start Trey Lance soon enough he's a buffoon. One counter point leans on the whole Jeff Garcia, Joe Montana controversies. The argument from a lot of people was that these are NFL players and their opinions should have more weight than everyone else.

Well with that same logic, Mac Jones didn't have the physical tools to be worth a Top 5 pick according to most if not all NFL pundits including former players. Also I think hands down NFL players current and former, pundits and fans would all say Kyle is in the top 10 if not top 5 in the league. If there was a coaching draft today. He would be picked in the top 3. Andy and Bellicheck may have better resumes but they are older.

Long winded way of saying appreciate what we got because it could always be much worse.

I remember reading stories of legendary Vince Lombardi and his Green Bay Sweep. Nobody could stop that play. He got a couple of championships out of it, until he was out talented and then he left the team. The point is that Kyle has his *Green Bay Sweep* bread and butter plays. At some point in time - in the game - Kyle has to call his bread and butter plays, because that sets up the entire offense for the next series or drives. However, if the opposing team stuffs the bread and butter plays, then he stuffs your offense. Just like being able to stop the green bay sweep. When teams started to stifle Vince's sweep, he had to leave the team and go to the Washington Commanders where he eventually died.

Point is that if you are a run team - you call run plays. If you are a pass team, you call pass plays. If they are stuffed, your offense is stuffed. I think Kyle is striving for more balance, and I think Trey can give him that kind of balance where if Kyle wants a run first team, or a pass first team, he can do it either way. Trey will give balance to the force!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Hard for me to blame Kyle when everytime we lose a big game theres plays to be made and our players f**k them up.

All Tartt had to do is catch the easiest interception of his whole life and that game is prob over. All we have to do is get off the field on a 3rd and 15 and the game is prob over. And then all Jimmy has to do is hit a wide open Sanders (kyle called the play) to at least give us a chance to defend to win a SB.

In all of our playoff games we're the better team for the majority of the game. We've never been outcoached. We just let the other team off the hook over and over again because we won't execute that one play we need to be champions.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Easier said than done... will the KS10 followers ever point to the HC if Lance becomes the next Trubisky?

You don't let go of really coaches. There are very very few of them out there. I think Kyle is a great coach. If I am Jed - I am letting Kyle coach as long as he wants to coach this team.

There is no chance that Lance turns into Trubisky but if he does - that's on him more than anything - and this is coming from a guy who wanted Lance over everyone in the draft.

I'm curious. At the time it seemed most wanted Fields. There were some holding out hope for Wilson.. the anri-Mac crowd was loud, but he had some supporters. There were some on the Lance bandwagon if not Fields (that was me) and some who were Lance outright. Why did you prefer him?

personally, I did not want to move up... and when we did, my first choice was JaMarr Chase..

Over and over, I posted that both Lance and Justin should stay in school for another year.. Especially Lance since he's played less than 25 games..

.. When I came to realization that we are going to draft a QB, my 1st choice was Fields because I saw the guy more so he was good.

As for Lance, the fact that he had played less than 25 games scared me, it reminded me of how the below QBs were once HYPED UP too soon to early...

Tommy Maddox
Mark Sanchez
Christian Hackenberg
Mitch Trubisky

... but Lance was the choice, so I will support him until I see NO HOPE..

I was on board with beefing up the Oline and riding with Jimmy. While I think that may have worked, it exposes Jimmy's weakness. As a QB, you have to make plays when a play isn't there. Or when a defense is playing great, you have to play greater. So while I thought they had jumped the gun on a trade I was happy at the idea of getting a player like Justin Fields for this offense.

We took Trey instead and I understand why. I'm glad they got their QB last year as opposed to waiting for this year. The team had the opportunity to maximize value for Jimmy in a way they couldn't have after the 2020 season (his lowest point in terms of value). Trey has the talent but apparently is a film junkie, which is what we will need. I'm with the QB Kyle signed off on and I don't see this failing. Will he become an all time great? Who knows. But we aren't sinking to some sub 500 team either.
Originally posted by Fasteddy:

Pretty much this.

Same - significant number of plays where players were open. Excited for next year!

We can't be sure Trey will see them either. He's very inexperienced.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
My KS offseason wishlist:

1. Preach player safety no running Deebo or Trey through the entire D.
2. Cut the punter. We save a roster spot and have an extra down on every NFL team.
3. Add a receiver with blow the door off the hinges speed.
4. Grow a set and call plays like you are trying to win don't "protect" the lead expand it

It'll be Interesting to see what type of adjustments Kyle makes next season since I think teams will focus on stopping Deebo from running the ball as much, kinda like the Rams did In the championship game
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
My KS offseason wishlist:

1. Preach player safety no running Deebo or Trey through the entire D.
2. Cut the punter. We save a roster spot and have an extra down on every NFL team.
3. Add a receiver with blow the door off the hinges speed.
4. Grow a set and call plays like you are trying to win don't "protect" the lead expand it

It'll be Interesting to see what type of adjustments Kyle makes next season since I think teams will focus on stopping Deebo from running the ball as much, kinda like the Rams did In the championship game

It seems like Deebo at RB is going to continue to be a thing, but I'm hoping/expecting it's not the focal point of the offense. I think it turned out that way this season because our two primary RB's were him and Elijah Mitchell... and Deebo had more big-play potential than Mitchell... so he got more runs than we would've liked.

If Mostert comes back (for cheap), or another RB emerges who can really threaten a defense on the outside zone plays... I think/hope we'll use Deebo more efficiently at RB.
Originally posted by Antix:
Hard for me to blame Kyle when everytime we lose a big game theres plays to be made and our players f**k them up.

All Tartt had to do is catch the easiest interception of his whole life and that game is prob over. All we have to do is get off the field on a 3rd and 15 and the game is prob over. And then all Jimmy has to do is hit a wide open Sanders (kyle called the play) to at least give us a chance to defend to win a SB.

In all of our playoff games we're the better team for the majority of the game. We've never been outcoached. We just let the other team off the hook over and over again because we won't execute that one play we need to be champions.

Exactly. Nice post, I concur

I know exactly what Jed is thinking right now.

He has the mentality of a could be crazy girlfriend who really wanted the dude at first, but then wasn't sure but gave him a test run. And then when she found out he's legit marriage material and is the best she gonna get, he's trying hard to put that ball and chain on but not come on too strong.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I know exactly what Jed is thinking right now.

He has the mentality of a could be crazy girlfriend who really wanted the dude at first, but then wasn't sure but gave him a test run. And then when she found out he's legit marriage material and is the best she gonna get, he's trying hard to put that ball and chain on but not come on too strong.
you ok there bud
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Fat Andy went to the playoffs for 10 years and no Lombardi with the eagles, 49ers 20 years in the playoffs and only 5 Lombardi's. Buffalo - 4 straight super bowls - no wins. There is a reason that if you win a Superbowl, chances are you are a lock for the hall of fame. Its *damn hard* to get those bejeweled finger appliances.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Fat Andy went to the playoffs for 10 years and no Lombardi with the eagles, 49ers 20 years in the playoffs and only 5 Lombardi's. Buffalo - 4 straight super bowls - no wins. There is a reason that if you win a Superbowl, chances are you are a lock for the hall of fame. Its *damn hard* to get those bejeweled finger appliances.

I said it in another thread... a guy is a choke artist... a bust... a failure... until he isn't.
Some guys buck the label (Steve Young, Andy Reid, John Elway, Matthew Stafford, Peyton Manning), and then others don't (The 90's Bills, Dan Marino, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan).

It's disappointing that Shanahan is now in this conversation, but I think he's still pretty young into his career. Ultimately though, the Trey Lance move is going to make or break his legacy in San Francisco, IMO. Let's see how it turns out.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Feb 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I said it in another thread... a guy is a choke artist... a bust... a failure... until he isn't.
Some guys buck the label (Steve Young, Andy Reid, John Elway, Matthew Stafford, Peyton Manning), and then others don't (The 90's Bills, Dan Marino, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan).

It's disappointing that Shanahan is now in this conversation, but I think he's still pretty young into his career. Ultimately though, the Trey Lance move is going to make or break his legacy in San Francisco, IMO. Let's see how it turns out.

It's a matter of perspective. Remember Erickson, Singletary, Tomsula, Kelly and Nolan couldn't even smell a .500 season let alone a chance at the big dance.

Kyle is pretty young in his career, but *damn* does he have the balls to go for a guy like Trey! THREE first round draft picks too. You don't see coaches (let alone front offices) move that aggressively for a player. I haven't seen that in my lifetime, then again I'm old, and my memory is not better than an old Atari Computer at this point in time. I think that move up to Trey is a *very* veteran coaching move. It's equivalent to a Fat Andy move, and Fat Andy is 20+ years Kyle's senior.

The only other trades I can think of that were more insane were the Hershel Walker Trade and the Ricky Williams trade.
Share 49ersWebzone