There are 197 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Costanza:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
We gonna hear "waahhh we coulda had brady waaaaah" til we win another SB.

Could've had Peyton Manning in 2012 too but most fans seem to forget about that

Peyton chose the Broncos over the Niners. Harbaugh tried to get him.

Shanahan actually turned down Tom Brady. It sounds insane to even type it but Shanahan turned down Tom Freaking Brady lol.

Turned him down when we didn't even have a worthwhile QB on the roster.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Peyton chose the Broncos over the Niners. Harbaugh tried to get him.

Shanahan actually turned down Tom Brady. It sounds insane to even type it but Shanahan turned down Tom Freaking Brady lol.

Turned him down when we didn't even have a worthwhile QB on the roster.

We still don't. Trey is a massive question mark that looked underwhelming as a rookie. I hope he works out but Niners should be all-in on Watson…or Brady if they can't get Watson and if he wants to come out of retirement.
[ Edited by Costanza on Mar 12, 2022 at 12:30 PM ]
f**k Watson. I would stop watching the team until he was off it if they got him.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
pic from link above

Kyle Ziggs when the NFL zaggs?

Well, it's safe to say, no matter the HC/OC, this team is wildly consistent at being a team built for 1956 football. Haha

Seems like Shanahan has been a run-first OC in his other years, but notably, the Falcons when Shanahan was OC and Matt Ryan had his MVP year... they were the 8th highest passing team on early downs. So while he does have tendencies, it does seem to be me like he does things based on his personnel.

I have no problem being a run-first team as it eventually leads to 3rd and manageables. It's basic ball-control football that helps keep the defense fresh. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but the strategy is solid... When it's working well, we have those games where we have 10+ play drives, eat up all the clock, and wear down the defense. It typically doesn't have a lot of chunk plays though.

I think it means that though that (1) the QB really needs to be able to convert on third down, (2) they need to be a good play action passer, (3) and it'd really help if they hit on the rare shot plays they go for in a game.
Agree on your point about personnel and NC"s point about the 1956 feel of this offense at certain times (Vikings playoff game).

If this run-first philosophy is to work, NC's point about Offensive Linemen is similar your point about personnel. As much as Kyle's been investing in OLInemen (Trent Williams, Mack, McGlinchy) -- if he's going to go with a 1956 Bo-Schembechler run first offense - in a sense, he needs to find much more dominating offensive linemen to power said offense (at least on the right side). If he wants an unstoppable run game (like an unstoppable pass game) his OLine has to be able to do both zone and gap blocking. I think a guy like Aaron Banks/Trent Williams is the kind of OLineman Kyle needs - big in size to have that power gap blocking ability and the agility and athleticism to zone block. You're lucky to find one Trent William's in any draft, so drafting OLinemen for Kyle's system is a problem. Kyle's gotten away with journeymen on the OLine, and I think if he's going to run in the fourth quarter in the playoffs against good playoff defenses, I think his Offensive Line needs more power while keeping the same level of athleticism.

Kyle wants to play complementary football, and that's why I think he's been a heavy run first coach. But personally, I'm in agreement with NC. If you are going to be a run first offense, better have run first OLinemen. Big strong OLinemen with agility, I think also will help in pass protections. How many times we've seen Brunskill get bull rushed into the QB, and how many times has McGlinchy whiffed on a block. Kyle's going to have to invest more draft and cap capital in the OLine than he's been doing, in my personal opinion, to have a dominating run first team.

Great dialogue, you two!
pic from link above

Well, it's safe to say, no matter the HC/OC, this team is wildly consistent at being a team built for 1956 football. Haha

Seems like Shanahan has been a run-first OC in his other years, but notably, the Falcons when Shanahan was OC and Matt Ryan had his MVP year... they were the 8th highest passing team on early downs. So while he does have tendencies, it does seem to be me like he does things based on his personnel.

I have no problem being a run-first team as it eventually leads to 3rd and manageables. It's basic ball-control football that helps keep the defense fresh. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but the strategy is solid... When it's working well, we have those games where we have 10+ play drives, eat up all the clock, and wear down the defense. It typically doesn't have a lot of chunk plays though.

I think it means that though that (1) the QB really needs to be able to convert on third down, (2) they need to be a good play action passer, (3) and it'd really help if they hit on the rare shot plays they go for in a game.
Agree on your point about personnel and NC"s point about the 1956 feel of this offense at certain times (Vikings playoff game).

If this run-first philosophy is to work, NC's point about Offensive Linemen is similar your point about personnel. As much as Kyle's been investing in OLInemen (Trent Williams, Mack, McGlinchy) -- if he's going to go with a 1956 Bo-Schembechler run first offense - in a sense, he needs to find much more dominating offensive linemen to power said offense (at least on the right side). If he wants an unstoppable run game (like an unstoppable pass game) his OLine has to be able to do both zone and gap blocking. I think a guy like Aaron Banks/Trent Williams is the kind of OLineman Kyle needs - big in size to have that power gap blocking ability and the agility and athleticism to zone block. You're lucky to find one Trent William's in any draft, so drafting OLinemen for Kyle's system is a problem. Kyle's gotten away with journeymen on the OLine, and I think if he's going to run in the fourth quarter in the playoffs against good playoff defenses, I think his Offensive Line needs more power while keeping the same level of athleticism.

Kyle wants to play complementary football, and that's why I think he's been a heavy run first coach. But personally, I'm in agreement with NC. If you are going to be a run first offense, better have run first OLinemen. Big strong OLinemen with agility, I think also will help in pass protections. How many times we've seen Brunskill get bull rushed into the QB, and how many times has McGlinchy whiffed on a block. Kyle's going to have to invest more draft and cap capital in the OLine than he's been doing, in my personal opinion, to have a dominating run first team.

Great dialogue, you two!

i doubt KS10 will ever see it that way... he witness how Daddy Mike won two SB w/an average size OL and he will continue to believe that his football SMART will get it done..

with the offense being handed to a young QB, I personally believe that we need to get a very very DOMINATING D to keep games close as much as possible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
pic from link above

Great dialogue, you two!

i doubt KS10 will ever see it that way... he witness how Daddy Mike won two SB w/an average size OL and he will continue to believe that his football SMART will get it done..

with the offense being handed to a young QB, I personally believe that we need to get a very very DOMINATING D to keep games close as much as possible.

The Left side of the line is very solid, in my opinion, from the Center on. If we can get that Right Tackle that can man the run and be at least above average (to good) in pass blocking, that's the makings of a very good line right there. Brunskill, as underpowered as he is, is very athletic and can - with help from the right tackle (again if the right tackle can on occasion take on the rushing DE by himself) can be helped by the center (Mack) in pass protections.

Chuck Knoll came from the Air Coryell school of vertical offense (Sid Gillman) and I can see Kyle - to a certain extent - start employing more of a vertical offense scheme (like Terry Bradshaw's Steelers) to enhance Trey's long ball skills. The OLine - in a vertical scheme - has to run block, so that if the QB misfires, and it's 2nd and 10+, the run game has to be dominant enough to be able to close the first down gap with a 2nd down run to perhaps 3rd and 5 yards or less. 3rd and 5 (or less) with a 2nd year QB is much more makable than a 3rd and 8+. A dominating run game helps the defense if you are employing a field position strategy (usually occurring in the playoffs against tough opponents).
We still don't. Trey is a massive question mark that looked underwhelming as a rookie. I hope he works out but Niners should be all-in on Watson…or Brady if they can't get Watson and if he wants to come out of retirement.

All in for Watson? With what draft capital? Lance ain't going to be enough, and we can't afford to trade any more draft capital. IMO, not worth the cost and the baggage he brings.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Great dialogue, you two!

Great work on the Team Needs thread, Mr, Hall of Fame! NCommand

Payton Manning chose the Broncos over us. So no, we couldn't of.
Originally posted by braap49er:

Payton Manning chose the Broncos over us. So no, we couldn't of.

Manning wanted control of the offense, he didn't think Harbaugh would let him do that. Was pretty simple.

There is no chance Watson goes to SF. Even with the criminal charges / allegations dealt with. The PR hit would be massive and a constant talking point. Jed et. al. would never sign off on Watson.
Originally posted by Polkadots:

There is no chance Watson goes to SF. Even with the criminal charges / allegations dealt with. The PR hit would be massive and a constant talking point. Jed et. al. would never sign off on Watson.
They would after they meet with him.. but I don't think we would give up as much as the Texans would want to even get close enough to meet with Watson
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Polkadots:

They would after they meet with him.. but I don't think we would give up as much as the Texans would want to even get close enough to meet with Watson

Female owners tend to be adverse to this.
if somehow, the green bay packer's coach wins it all this year...........
This is a cold but true article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/a-complete-history-of-kyle-shanahans-bad-quarterback-decisions-with-the-49ers
Share 49ersWebzone