There are 266 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

I like Kyle's thoughts on reversing the order of the draft and free agency. It makes sense but that's why the owners will never change it.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
looks like he just quit drinking 2 hours ago.

Jokes on you. He never stopped.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Lol

After 2 years of Trey's elite QB play

FTFY
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I like Kyle's thoughts on reversing the order of the draft and free agency. It makes sense but that's why the owners will never change it.

Or just apply the philosophy backwards. Go into free agency and plug the leaks, and then go into the draft and go best player available. Which is what I think they've done very well at since 2017 (in a sense).

The Cap is still the Cap, meaning the problem doesn't really go away. Even if you go with the draft first and then free agency second - a good team/playoff team, by definition, will still lose more top free agents than it will get. The cap will affect you either way - even if the draft comes first or second.
"We're willing to do anything -- the best we can do for the Niners," Shanahan said Tuesday when asked about keeping or cutting Garoppolo. "The good thing is we don't have to decide it today. We're trying to see what the best thing is for the Niners, and having a good quarterback like Jimmy is not a bad thing. Being able to upgrade our roster by getting draft picks is a really good thing. What's the timeline on that? It's different when you get surgery. So that's what we're all dealing with. That's really as simple as it is."

"That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe Trey can be the starter and we're ready to do that. But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're just gonna get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on our roster."

"Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all. The fact that we have three that we're happy with, that is a good thing. You always want to upgrade your team. We have all guys that are capable of starting. Jimmy's done a great job for us. We brought Trey here to be that eventually. I think that'll be sooner than later."

"That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe Trey can be the starter and we're ready to do that," Shanahan said. "But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're just gonna get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on our roster.

"You've got to make sure that you're not hindering his development," Shanahan said. "Trey's working his tail off. He knows how I feel about him. He knows what our expectations are for him. And I think he's got a lot of respect for Jimmy. But the situation is clear. We were trying to make a move to add some draft pick, and we were pretty close to it. And then Jimmy ended up getting the surgery, which changes things.

"I think Trey will understand all that. I haven't had to talk to him about it. But I think it makes sense for all these guys. Trey's not an insecure guy. I think the situation makes sense. There's nothing sneaky going on about it. And he's confident."

What I take from this is that Trey will be the starter. We are willing to honor Jimmy's contract if we cannot move him. He is good enough to be our security backup QB. What franchise wouldn't want to be in this situation?

I honestly don't agree with paying a back up 25+ million but it is what it is. Shanahan is correct. What franchise wouldn't want 2 starting QB's on their roster? If one goes down, your season is not lost.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 31, 2022 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
"We're willing to do anything -- the best we can do for the Niners," Shanahan said Tuesday when asked about keeping or cutting Garoppolo. "The good thing is we don't have to decide it today. We're trying to see what the best thing is for the Niners, and having a good quarterback like Jimmy is not a bad thing. Being able to upgrade our roster by getting draft picks is a really good thing. What's the timeline on that? It's different when you get surgery. So that's what we're all dealing with. That's really as simple as it is."

"That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe Trey can be the starter and we're ready to do that. But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're just gonna get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on our roster."

"Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all. The fact that we have three that we're happy with, that is a good thing. You always want to upgrade your team. We have all guys that are capable of starting. Jimmy's done a great job for us. We brought Trey here to be that eventually. I think that'll be sooner than later."

"That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe Trey can be the starter and we're ready to do that," Shanahan said. "But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're just gonna get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on our roster.

"You've got to make sure that you're not hindering his development," Shanahan said. "Trey's working his tail off. He knows how I feel about him. He knows what our expectations are for him. And I think he's got a lot of respect for Jimmy. But the situation is clear. We were trying to make a move to add some draft pick, and we were pretty close to it. And then Jimmy ended up getting the surgery, which changes things.

"I think Trey will understand all that. I haven't had to talk to him about it. But I think it makes sense for all these guys. Trey's not an insecure guy. I think the situation makes sense. There's nothing sneaky going on about it. And he's confident."

What I take from this is that Trey will be the starter. We are willing to honor Jimmy's contract if we cannot move him. He is good enough to be our security backup QB. What franchise wouldn't want to be in this situation?

I honestly don't agree with paying a back up 25+ million but it is what it is. Shanahan is correct. What franchise wouldn't want 2 starting QB's on their roster? If one goes down, your season is not lost.

We won't pay Jimmy $25 million to be the backup. If the worst case scenario happens and we can't find someone willing to trade for Jimmy by the end of TC, he'll either take a significant pay cut or we'll cut him.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Mar 31, 2022 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

We won't pay Jimmy $25 million to be the backup. If the worst case scenario happens and we can't find someone willing to trade for Jimmy by the end of TC, he'll either take a significant pay cut or we'll cut him.

Well, yea. I would hope that'd be the case but they also said they won't cut him. Jimmy doesn't have to accept a paycut. They also stated that they already have him on the books. So, you do the math.

Kyle still thinks we'll get multiple picks for Garoppolo. Hmmm.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I don't believe they have much if any leverage at all but I guess they still feel like they need to play that game.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

All those unmet expectations have taken their toll.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

I don't believe they have much if any leverage at all but I guess they still feel like they need to play that game.

I think the interest will perk up once Jimmy starts throwing again.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The players union would never change it. They favor guys already in the league over new blood
"You've got to make sure that you're not hindering his development," Shanahan said. "Trey's working his tail off. He knows how I feel about him. He knows what our expectations are for him."

"Trey's not an insecure guy. I think the situation makes sense. There's nothing sneaky going on about it. And he's confident."

Shanahan noted he talks with Lance "all the time." As for Garoppolo, not so much.

"We don't do a lot of talking in the offseason. Jimmy is not the most communicating guy," Shanahan said.

Seems to me that Kyle and Trey are building a great relationship. It sounds like Kyle truly has found his guy. The sky is the limit.
"You've got to make sure that you're not hindering his development," Shanahan said. "Trey's working his tail off. He knows how I feel about him. He knows what our expectations are for him."

"Trey's not an insecure guy. I think the situation makes sense. There's nothing sneaky going on about it. And he's confident."

Shanahan noted he talks with Lance "all the time." As for Garoppolo, not so much.

"We don't do a lot of talking in the offseason. Jimmy is not the most communicating guy," Shanahan said.

Seems to me that Kyle and Trey are building a great relationship. It sounds like Kyle truly has found his guy. The sky is the limit.
jimmy thinks he doesn't need to get better..
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

jimmy thinks he doesn't need to get better..

"Jimmy is not the most communicating guy." Doesn't sound like a very good relationship to me. Am I looking too far into this? It seems like Kyle wasn't even aware of Jimmy needing shoulder surgery until the news broke or perhaps only shortly before. Either way, the lack of communication is not a catalyst for a solid relationship and it sounds like it has been an on going thing between them.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Apr 1, 2022 at 3:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone