There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Read something interesting from Harry Carson former linebacker with NYG. He was middle linebacker had to read and react in seconds to play design with clubs trying to fool him each play. He talked about how difficult it was to face Bill Walsh during the scripted plays as you had no idea what the 49ers were running. They just go off the script regardless the down and distance. Once they are done with the scripted plays, it's a little more predictable.

When we have a 4th quarter lead it's often okay let's 'protect' the lead by going conservative. In the end this is actually high risk because we rarely score doing this, we are extremely predictable and we give the opponent a sitting target by not increasing our score. The worst thing is watching us play the better game and losing cuz we got afraid in the 4th it's just terrible.

I agree with this. It all comes back to the predictability of 4th quarter playing not to lose approach.

the problem is that he CAN NOT game plan.. he's got good play design and all, but he calls plays like it supposed to work every single time instead of trying to find the weakness against the team we are playing..

plus.. the below says it all..

32 Ws
40 Ls

not sure how he earned the word GREAT..

but of course, we have Grappy to blame when he could have traded for TB and MS.

Does 32 Ws and 40 Ls say it all when that's not even Kyle's record?

AMUSE me por favor ... amuse moi !!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Read something interesting from Harry Carson former linebacker with NYG. He was middle linebacker had to read and react in seconds to play design with clubs trying to fool him each play. He talked about how difficult it was to face Bill Walsh during the scripted plays as you had no idea what the 49ers were running. They just go off the script regardless the down and distance. Once they are done with the scripted plays, it's a little more predictable.

When we have a 4th quarter lead it's often okay let's 'protect' the lead by going conservative. In the end this is actually high risk because we rarely score doing this, we are extremely predictable and we give the opponent a sitting target by not increasing our score. The worst thing is watching us play the better game and losing cuz we got afraid in the 4th it's just terrible.

I agree with this. It all comes back to the predictability of 4th quarter playing not to lose approach.

the problem is that he CAN NOT game plan.. he's got good play design and all, but he calls plays like it supposed to work every single time instead of trying to find the weakness against the team we are playing..

32 Ws
40 Ls

that sound you hear is when you be gagging..

32 Ws
40 Ls

43-44 isn't great either but at least be honest about it.
I'm not a shannahan supporter. But an nfc championship game and a superbowl in 5 years are good results. I can't argue that. That nfl championship appearance wouldn't have happened but for a miracle drive vs the rams with a minute left.

With that said, I don't think he can win the big one. He gets lost and is IMO one of the worst play callers when it matters most.
What I'm most scared about is this status quo of mediocrity. We are 5 years in with 0 championships, and a raw rookie.

And let's be honest here, if you start from scratch and be able to mold a team in your vision, the niners organization when Shanahan took over was the place to do it. A ton of cap room, a surplus of draft picks. And a sub .500 record after 5 years is the result. It's a bit disconcerting.

I will not be harsh with Lance this year as it's his first year. But many of you are arguing that Lance just needs to barely perform for the niners to make it back to the nfc championship game. Therefore, Shanahan should be highly scrutinized if this team doesn't make it deep into the playoffs.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on May 20, 2022 at 5:13 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I'm not a shannahan supporter. But an nfc championship game and a superbowl in 5 years are good results. I can't argue that. That nfl championship appearance wouldn't have happened but for a miracle drive vs the rams with a minute left.

With that said, I don't think he can win the big one. He gets lost and is IMO one of the worst play callers when it matters most.
What I'm most scared about is this status quo of mediocrity. We are 5 years in with 0 championships, and a raw rookie.

And let's be honest here, if you start from scratch and be able to mold a team in your vision, the niners organization when Shanahan took over was the place to do it. A ton of cap room, a surplus of draft picks. And a sub .500 record after 5 years is the result. It's a bit disconcerting.

I will not be harsh with Lance this year as it's his first year. But many of you are arguing that Lance just needs to barely perform for the niners to make it back to the nfc championship game. Therefore, Shanahan should be highly scrutinized if this team doesn't make it deep into the playoffs.

After the team fired Chip Kelly in 2016, if anyone told us that the 49ers would be in two NFCCGs within the next five years we'd think they were homering while on drugs.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

32 Ws
40 Ls

43-44 isn't great either but at least be honest about it.

you must have included the playoffs... but so be it if you did.. bottom line.. you posted it yourself..

ISN'T GREAT... so where do his supporters get the idea of he being a GREAT coach?
Originally posted by thl408:

After the team fired Chip Kelly in 2016, if anyone told us that the 49ers would be in two NFCCGs within the next five years we'd think they were homering while on drugs.

no sarcasm here, but do you personally think or believe that we would have been in those two NFCCGs and the Super Bowl had Shanny's QB was either Hoyer - CJ or Mullens?
  • thl408

no sarcasm here, but do you personally think or believe that we would have been in those two NFCCGs and the Super Bowl had Shanny's QB was either Hoyer - CJ or Mullens?

No I don't. Where is this going?

that Grappy isn't a bad QB is as many believe so... he's no Mahomes and isn't a pretty QB to watch, but he's as much as the reason why and how we got to those 3 games mentioned above..

• thl408

that Grappy isn't a bad QB is as many believe so... he's no Mahomes and isn't a pretty QB to watch, but he's as much as the reason why and how we got to those 3 games mentioned above..

My post above was referring to Kyle Shanahan. Let's stay on topic for the sake of not straying off on a tangent. I think Kyle and company has done a great job building this roster considering what was inherited from Trent Baalke/Kelly.

But what if his QB had been Troy Smith?? Or Ken Dorsey?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Guys please, you are ruining my appetite. I haven't gone back to see how this one started but Smith, Dorsey and Mullens were good for one game. Maybe two. The longer the other team had to prep for them….. and Hoyer and CJ
Originally posted by English:
Guys please, you are ruining my appetite. I haven't gone back to see how this one started but Smith, Dorsey and Mullens were good for one game. Maybe two. The longer the other team had to prep for them….. and Hoyer and CJ

I just figured if we're going to throw in random 49ers QB's, why not?

Shanahan's QB was always going to be either Cousins or Garoppolo. If they don't make that trade with NE then Cousins signs here as an FA and who knows what happens there, but it was pretty clear that he was always Plan A until Garoppolo unexpectedly became available.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Don't they obviously fall under your Hoyer-Cj or Mullens type of talent?

Do you really NOT know this?
Share 49ersWebzone