There are 218 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I know what you two mean...two different scenarios where Jim was handed a playoff ready team that needed leadership and cohesion whereas Kyle has built his team from scratch and continues to do that...literally handing Lynch a blue print for every single player he wants for his system.

I was referencing their philosophy for winning...their formula is very similar in a number of ways.

And TBF, no doubt that the way the 49ers were originally constructed was a big attraction for why Jim wanted to come here.

Difference is Kyle can actually call a pass game when the run game isn't working. Roman pass offense is pray the qb makes a play.

OMG yes. Not even debatable. Roman...his freaking hodge-podge annointed receiver crap.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Such as?

For starters his passing game doesn't suck. There's nothing gimmicky about Shanahan's offense either. I would say kyle has gotten the most out of every QB he's had.

Brian Hoyer:

2014 Cleveland (Shanahan calling plays): 12 TD & 13 INTs completed 55% of his passes
2015 Houston (O'Brien calling plays): 19 TDs & 7 INTs competed 60% of his passes.
For starters his passing game doesn't suck. There's nothing gimmicky about Shanahan's offense either. I would say kyle has gotten the most out of every QB he's had.

We traded a 2nd to get Jimmy. Now we can't give him away. Did we get the most out of him?
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 23, 2022 at 6:46 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

We traded a 2nd to get Jimmy. Now we can't give him away. Did we get the most out of him?

I would say we did other than the fact that he was always hurt. Kyle used his quick release skills to get the ball out on those short crossing routes that would sometimes end up being big gains. If he would have had Jimmy drop back and throw deep sideline passes it would have been a disaster. We sometimes get frustrated with play calling but these coaches know more about their personnel and the game than any of us do. We see them for 60 minutes per week. They see them all week long.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Brian Hoyer:

2014 Cleveland (Shanahan calling plays): 12 TD & 13 INTs completed 55% of his passes
2015 Houston (O'Brien calling plays): 19 TDs & 7 INTs competed 60% of his passes.

LOL the browns, Andrew Hawkins was their WR1 that yr...I'd say that's a little different then just tossing it up to prime Hopkins for a couple games. Kyle has gotten the most out of every QB his had, given the situation presented to him/and the team. I'll stand by that all day.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 23, 2022 at 7:53 AM ]

We got a trip to the SB and a NFCC game...yeah we did get the most out of him. Is it Kyle's fault Jimmy is made of glass?
We got a trip to the SB and a NFCC game...yeah we did get the most out of him. Is it Kyle's fault Jimmy is made of glass?

D and run game got there. Jimmy just stood there and handed the ball off. That's like saying JH maxed out Alex.

Jimmy was average and on his best day above average here when healthy and just never did hit the potential we were hoping for.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 23, 2022 at 8:16 AM ]

D and run game got there. Jimmy just stood there and handed the ball off. That's like saying JH maxed out Alex.

Jimmy was average and on his best day above average here when healthy and just never did hit the potential we were hoping for.

The fans over rated Jimmy and thought they were getting a top tier QB. That's not what he is. Kyle saw that and called pays that could make the most of the good things that Jimmy does. Quick release, short game accuracy. You can't get blood out of a stone. Just because some of you wanted to see more out of Jimmy doesn't mean that Kyle didn't get all he could. If Jimmy hadn't gotten injured so much, maybe he could have been better but that wasn't the case.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jcool:
Brian Hoyer:

LOL the browns, Andrew Hawkins was their WR1 that yr...I'd say that's a little different then just tossing it up to prime Hopkins for a couple games. Kyle has gotten the most out of every QB his had, given the situation presented to him/and the team. I'll stand by that all day.

oh man, that was such a bad comparison.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The fans over rated Jimmy and thought they were getting a top tier QB. That's not what he is. Kyle saw that and called pays that could make the most of the good things that Jimmy does. Quick release, short game accuracy. You can't get blood out of a stone. Just because some of you wanted to see more out of Jimmy doesn't mean that Kyle didn't get all he could. If Jimmy hadn't gotten injured so much, maybe he could have been better but that wasn't the case.

Is It fair in saying that Jimmy may have regressed since 2017? Not saying It's Kyle's fault to as what became of JG, but he sure looked more comfortable throwing the ball back then, as apposed to 2019/21.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I think you mean our organization may of overrated him. We passed on Watson, Mahomes and Shanny's own love child for him. If he turned out less than spectacular well that was not by design.
Was glad when the team hired him and am glad to this day, having Shanahan as a HC who puts such a focus on the running game and employs a FB - yet not just employing a FB but utilizing him in various ways in the running & passing game.

This team's RB room could be special this year if Sermon can make an impact along with Davis-Price...and you also have Wilson Jr. Mitchell was very impressive for a rookie, one that continued to produce throughout the season and fought through injuries going deep into the postseason. Not fumbling once was also impressive. Add in an occasional Deebo run and this team's running game can be just that much better this year - and if Lance is QB1, it'll add just another element to it that opposing Ds have to gameplan against.

And? what do you think Jimmy would be anywhere else? Kyle got the most out of him, just like he has done in damn near every spot he's been able to coach.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Is It fair in saying that Jimmy may have regressed since 2017? Not saying It's Kyle's fault to as what became of JG, but he sure looked more comfortable throwing the ball back then, as apposed to 2019/21.

No I don't think it's fair to say he's regressed because there was basically nothing to go off of prior. 5 pointless games, where Jimmy played decent ball but had a ton of bad reads and dropped INTs all the same...which is fine he's played in 1 and 1/2 games prior and got thrown into a new situation. Everyone talks about that 2017 stretch but once you break down that film there's some WTF going on there all the same.

Toss in a torn ACL and a plethora of injuries throughout the years here and yeah that will change a QB's mind set. Kyle game planed everything around Jimmy (like a OC/HC is suppose to do) He most certainly got the most out of him. IMO I don't see Jimmy going anywhere else and becoming some perennial pro-bowler.
And? what do you think Jimmy would be anywhere else? Kyle got the most out of him, just like he has done in damn near every spot he's been able to coach.

And we've actually fallen short of the Super Bowl due to that mediocre QB play. The plan was never to get an average QB with Jimmy. Our passing attack has cost us 2 rings now.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 23, 2022 at 10:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone