There are 428 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think you mean our organization may of overrated him. We passed on Watson, Mahomes and Shanny's own love child for him. If he turned out less than spectacular well that was not by design.

Jimmy got hurt and then he got hurt again and again...I don't think he was ever gonna be some constant pro-bowler, but someone similar to his "love child" Kirk? Sure. Injuries didn't help at all. End of the day...like I said he got the most our of Jimmy's ability on this team. I don't think for one second if Jimmy goes to another team, he's massively better then here.

Also we're not talking about who he "missed" on years later in a draft. That's not what is being discussed...it's the QBs that he's had and how they played under him.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 23, 2022 at 10:08 AM ]
And we've actually fallen short of the Super Bowl due to that mediocre QB play. The plan was never to get an average QB with Jimmy. Our passing attack has cost us 2 rings now.

Again I'm not discussing his evaluation of the QB position...I'm talking about getting the most out of the QBs he's had. Two totally different topics. I could point to a f**k ton of coaches who missed on QBs for years all the same, but again not what I'm talking about.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 23, 2022 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Again I'm not discussing his evaluation of the QB position...I'm talking about getting the most out of the QBs he's had. Two totally different topics. I could point to a f**k ton of coaches who missed on QBs for years all the same, but again not what I'm talking about.

Do you really think he got more out of him then had NE stuck with him? I doubt it. And I not talking team wins as that's team wins. Shanny built a great team to say he got the most out of Jimmy is a bit of a stretch. 160 yards and a 75 rating in the playoffs. I'm going to say other coaches can do better with him that
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 23, 2022 at 10:37 AM ]
QBs plays at their ceiling with Shanahan
RG3 was OROY
Matt Ryan an MVP, you can say he has been the best QB KS has had
Brian Hoyer was "ok" with Cleveland for a couple of games
Matt Schaub was a Pro Bowler in Houston
Jimmy G has been unable to improve, too many injuries. I believe he has reached his celiing, he won't be any better with any other system.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The fans over rated Jimmy and thought they were getting a top tier QB. That's not what he is. Kyle saw that and called pays that could make the most of the good things that Jimmy does. Quick release, short game accuracy. You can't get blood out of a stone. Just because some of you wanted to see more out of Jimmy doesn't mean that Kyle didn't get all he could. If Jimmy hadn't gotten injured so much, maybe he could have been better but that wasn't the case.

I think you mean our organization may of overrated him. We passed on Watson, Mahomes and Shanny's own love child for him. If he turned out less than spectacular well that was not by design.

That's possible too but I look at how many people are still trying to convince fans that Jimmy is a great QB and I have to feel that they are overrating him. Most fans finally put him in that 15-20 range but a few still think he should stay on the team. Jimmy will never get better than he has already shown. Age, injuries and a new system will prevent that from happening. He's on the verge of becoming a journeyman QB. Still good enough to start but not someone you want to build your team around. When I refer to his age I'm looking at the injuries. They have a way of aging players quickly. He may be 31 but his body is more like 35 or older.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM ]
The fans over rated Jimmy and thought they were getting a top tier QB. That's not what he is. Kyle saw that and called pays that could make the most of the good things that Jimmy does. Quick release, short game accuracy. You can't get blood out of a stone. Just because some of you wanted to see more out of Jimmy doesn't mean that Kyle didn't get all he could. If Jimmy hadn't gotten injured so much, maybe he could have been better but that wasn't the case.

That's possible too but I look at how many people are still trying to convince fans that Jimmy is a great QB and I have to feel that they are overrating him. Most fans finally put him in that 15-20 range but a few still think he should stay on the team. Jimmy will never get better than he has already shown. Age, injuries and a new system will prevent that from happening. He's on the verge of becoming a journeyman QB. Still good enough to start but not someone you want to build your team around. When I refer to his age I'm looking at the injuries. They have a way of aging players quickly. He may be 31 but his body is more like 35 or older.

That's exactly right. Jimmy reached his ceiling, won't get any better on a different system.
Do you really think he got more out of him then had NE stuck with him? I doubt it. And I not talking team wins as that's team wins. Shanny built a great team to say he got the most out of Jimmy is a bit of a stretch. 160 yards and a 75 rating in the playoffs. I'm going to say other coaches can do better with him that

So you're forming that statement off what? A game and a 1/2? If Jimmy goes somewhere else and turns into a pro-bowler than yeah I'll say Kyle didn't get the most out of him...if he goes elsewhere and plays the same or turns into a Jared Goff talent, then I will say told ya so.

As far as the playoff comment, do I need to show you all the missed reads from Jimmy? Literally guys wide open and like you said he built a great team around him...so what else does he have to do for Jimmy? Kid has been in the system for 4 years flush with talent. I completely disagree that other coaches would have gotten more out of him. That offense was tailor for his skill set.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
RG3 was OROY
Jimmy G has been unable to improve, too many injuries. I believe he has reached his celiing, he won't be any better with any other system.

I mean Kyle put Jimmy in a spot to be successful enough to help the offense score points...IMO a lot of that was scheme, the roster and Jimmy played his part as well. I don't think Jimmy is gonna roll off somewhere and become a pro-bowler. Can he become a Alex Smith level QB? Maybe, he still turns the ball over more than Alex did. My point stands, Kyle has gotten the most out of the QBs he's had to work with. I think it all checks out for the most part too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
RG3 was OROY

Injuries are the biggest reason for drafting Trey. Agree that it has hampered Jimmy's development.
Yeah, you don't know my mind
You don't know my kind Dark necessities
are part of my design...

KS can't coach,
he can design plays,
but can't coach for crap..

he calls plays
plays that he likes
can't plan against others D

He's the new Martz
the old Air Coryell,
a glimpse of Wyche