Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I just saw an article that said that the 9ers didn't gain a SINGLE yard In the last 12 mins of the NFCCG against the Rams. Wow. I wasn't aware of that. It also said that the Rams and McVay we're 1-23 when trailing by 10 points or more at the half until they beat the 9ers In NFCCG.

Sounds like his offense in ATL too in the Superbowl and in 2019...all 3 were up 2 scores in the 4Q. Crazy.

That's not all on him but if it happens a 4th time, I'm going to start a curse thread.

Maybe Kyle would benefit from hiring an assistant to help prevent those 4Q fiascos he keeps having In crucial games

I do think that It's unfair to put all the blame on Kyle for losing those big games. The QB, Wr's, OL, ect. Need to execute too, but like you said, If It happens again, then...

I am a big Kyle Shanahan fan but I give him 2 more years to win a SB before I start to lose patience. We have one of the most talented group of pass catchers in the league, a revamped special teams, a revamped secondary and what looks to be an expanded running game. Shanahan now has his hand picked QB. I give him a year to build that play calling chemistry with Trey but after that, no more excuses for Shanahan.

That's more than fair. I'm a fan of him too fwiw ( even though I can be harsh on him at times ). I do agree that this team Is too talented not to be winning super bowls. All we needed was an upgrade at the QB position and now we finally have that too. 2022, The excitement Is high, mostly because of Lance being our starting QB, by 2023, It will be the expectations that are high. The year fans and media will be expecting us to win a super bowl.

You guys talk about winning a SB like it's easy. Like our talent is SOOOO much better than everyone else that the ONLY thing that could keep us from a SB win is KS. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? There's a lot of teams out there with a more talented roster than the 49ers on paper.

I agree with Lombardi and Maiocco...top 7-8 roster right now. Ultra competitive but not a Championship roster. But again, it's football and this game is beautiful so anything can happen.
I just saw an article that said that the 9ers didn't gain a SINGLE yard In the last 12 mins of the NFCCG against the Rams. Wow. I wasn't aware of that. It also said that the Rams and McVay we're 1-23 when trailing by 10 points or more at the half until they beat the 9ers In NFCCG.

Sounds like his offense in ATL too in the Superbowl and in 2019...all 3 were up 2 scores in the 4Q. Crazy.

That's not all on him but if it happens a 4th time, I'm going to start a curse thread.

Maybe Kyle would benefit from hiring an assistant to help prevent those 4Q fiascos he keeps having In crucial games

I do think that It's unfair to put all the blame on Kyle for losing those big games. The QB, Wr's, OL, ect. Need to execute too, but like you said, If It happens again, then...

I am a big Kyle Shanahan fan but I give him 2 more years to win a SB before I start to lose patience. We have one of the most talented group of pass catchers in the league, a revamped special teams, a revamped secondary and what looks to be an expanded running game. Shanahan now has his hand picked QB. I give him a year to build that play calling chemistry with Trey but after that, no more excuses for Shanahan.

That's more than fair. I'm a fan of him too fwiw ( even though I can be harsh on him at times ). I do agree that this team Is too talented not to be winning super bowls. All we needed was an upgrade at the QB position and now we finally have that too. 2022, The excitement Is high, mostly because of Lance being our starting QB, by 2023, It will be the expectations that are high. The year fans and media will be expecting us to win a super bowl.

You guys talk about winning a SB like it's easy. Like our talent is SOOOO much better than everyone else that the ONLY thing that could keep us from a SB win is KS. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? There's a lot of teams out there with a more talented roster than the 49ers on paper.

If you want to give a coach 2 decades with no SB trophy to show for it, that is your perogative. However, Kyle has had 6 off seasons now to build a championship roster. The only goal in football is to win champioships. So, no, its not ridiculous.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This, plus unless you get Sean Payton out of his hiatus, I don't see how you upgrade. The grass isn't always greener.

It's not about trying to upgrade/replace him Imo. It's about expectations the fan base will have now that they have their QB. 2023 will officially be Kyle's 7th season with us. The longer this team goes without winning a super bowl, the more Impatient we'll all become.
I agree with Lombardi and Maiocco...top 7-8 roster right now. Ultra competitive but not a Championship roster. But again, it's football and this game is beautiful so anything can happen.

Top 7-8 right now, maybe, but If Lance lives up to his potential, that 7-8 could easily be top 5 Imo. Good coaching + Good quarterbacking can make a big difference to the outcome of a game. The O-Line and safety positions are the only really concerns for me.
If you want to give a coach 2 decades with no SB trophy to show for it, that is your perogative. However, Kyle has had 6 off seasons now to build a championship roster. The only goal in football is to win champioships. So, no, its not ridiculous.

That's the way I see It too. We finally have our QB. Time to start winning some super bowls.

That's the way I see It too. We finally have our QB. Time to start winning some super bowls.

Exactly! He has his hand picked QB and all the weapons that a QB and playcaller could ever ask for. There are no more excuses.

I have to defend Kyle a little here. They got to the SB once and failed to win. You can blame Kyle or Jimmy or the O line but in the end they lost to a team that outplayed them in the 4th quarter. The next season they suffered a ton of major injuries including Jimmy's ankle. I may not be Jimmy's biggest supporter but he was the starting QB and by far their best option in 2020. Last year they played well but got beat by a Rams team with a better QB. End of story.

We'll see what Kyle can do now that he has a new QB. I have to give him at least this year and next year since Trey is so raw.
Top 7-8 right now, maybe, but If Lance lives up to his potential, that 7-8 could easily be top 5 Imo. Good coaching + Good quarterbacking can make a big difference to the outcome of a game. The O-Line and safety positions are the only really concerns for me.

That's with Trey and looking at the entire roster compared to others. If Trey balls out, the other team need issues are still there, irregardless (i.e. offensive line, safety/SCB, TE2, etc.) and with us, top injuries annually.

Ironically, those are the same things that cost us in the past too.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I have to defend Kyle a little here. They got to the SB once and failed to win. You can blame Kyle or Jimmy or the O line but in the end they lost to a team that outplayed them in the 4th quarter. The next season they suffered a ton of major injuries including Jimmy's ankle. I may not be Jimmy's biggest supporter but he was the starting QB and by far their best option in 2020. Last year they played well but got beat by a Rams team with a better QB. End of story.

We'll see what Kyle can do now that he has a new QB. I have to give him at least this year and next year since Trey is so raw.

Yeah, definitely. We've had 6 off seasons to see their team building strengths and weaknesses and that somewhat resets with a new QB for at least 2-3 more years. I'm just as curious how they'll maintain a top 10 roster as I am the QB development.

lol...

The " Followers " just started googling if this is true... they all quiet at the moment... once they find this to be TRUE, expect the SILENCE !!

• Giedi
  • Veteran

That's with Trey and looking at the entire roster compared to others. If Trey balls out, the other team need issues are still there, irregardless (i.e. offensive line, safety/SCB, TE2, etc.) and with us, top injuries annually.

Ironically, those are the same things that cost us in the past too.

Kyle's drafted two OLinemen the past two drafts, and I predict next year he'll do that again (Trent's going to be almost 35 if the 49ers make the playoffs this year). I think the Trey/Kyle combo is going to be potentially as deadly and explosive as the Mike Shanahan/Steve Young and Mike Shanahan/John Elway combo in years past. Trey has Steve's athleticism and possibly almost as strong an arm as Elway's arm. If Trey can consistently beat the blitz a la Aaron Rogers - I don't really see any defense that can stop this combo at all.

Top 7-8 roster…would go as far as saying Top 5 given the star/impact players on both sides of the ball plus the many quality depth pieces throughout and the should be improved ST with the guys they brought in & new ST coach. A lot is going to depend on once again the most important position in sports, QB. How Lance hopefully steps up & performs as QB1 assuming he's that this season.

We'll see and like you said, it's football and anything can happen throughout the course of a long season + hopefully playoffs.

That is exactly the time frame that I stated in my op. I give him two years. By then, the offense should be hitting on all cylinders.

Lost to one of the best teams of this century so far, too. It's not like they faced the mid-00s Bears that squeeked into the SB

So that makes virtual everyone bad. It also means you'd swap Kyle Shanahan for Doug Pederson if you are going to be that myopic about the goal. We are all aware of what the goal is. The original posters point still stands. It's not likely you are going to get better.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

So that makes virtual everyone bad. It also means you'd swap Kyle Shanahan for Doug Pederson if you are going to be that myopic about the goal. We are all aware of what the goal is. The original posters point still stands. It's not likely you are going to get better.

So you would be content to stick with Shanahan if after 10 years he still hasn't won a SB?
Share 49ersWebzone