LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 213 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When Niners luck out in hiring Kyle, I thought we got the best coach available the next 10 years. Ima ride this horse until it turns crippled and a tongue wagging death.

Agreed. As long as his offense continues to be a top offense I'll roll with him til the wheels fall off
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Lol not Kyle's finest moment. I see him learning from that experience... Eventually.

Hmmm! He got roasted after that game for not running the football. Getting roasted this offseason for not passing the football.

IMO That's a big part of coaching. Situational awareness. Knowing the right time to call either pass or run. This comes with experience.

As others have mentioned, what Kyle and Lynch have built with this team after the s**t show they we're given have bought them plenty of time.

That's a bunch of horsesh*t. Three of his pass plays called in the Superbowl were bang on, especially the second bat down, Kittle probably scores without it. The other was a misread by Jimmy, missing Bourne in flat, again a big first down.

Hindsight is the best playcaller.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by krizay:
Lol not Kyle's finest moment. I see him learning from that experience... Eventually.

Hmmm! He got roasted after that game for not running the football. Getting roasted this offseason for not passing the football.

IMO That's a big part of coaching. Situational awareness. Knowing the right time to call either pass or run. This comes with experience.

As others have mentioned, what Kyle and Lynch have built with this team after the s**t show they we're given have bought them plenty of time.

That's a bunch of horsesh*t. Three of his pass plays called in the Superbowl were bang on, especially the second bat down, Kittle probably scores without it. The other was a misread by Jimmy, missing Bourne in flat, again a big first down.

Hindsight is the best playcaller.

Wow. I'm not trying to bash Kyle lol

i was referring more about the NFCCG last year. The 2 and 1, then the 3 and 1. I was screaming at the tv to run a QB sneak on the 2nd and 1. Jimmy is 25/25 on QB sneaks. (Situational awareness I'm referring to)Instead they let the defense get set for the expected run up he middle. offense was rolling on that drive up until then. Juice playcall was . Then punt to the team the defense was having trouble stopping, most of he day.

I know this will get misconstrued as me hating Kyle but I'm not. Kyle is a tremendous coach, just has some things to work on. Nobody is perfect.

(oh, I just realized I added to a quote talking about he SB. My bad.)
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jun 14, 2022 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
All he needs is and elite MVP QB and a lead in the 4Q and it's game over...for him.

All he needs is a QB that can read a defense, not s**t his pants when he has any sort of pressure, and throw a half way accurate ball.

Yup. MVP or mid-tier QB, you gotta make the plays. And have a little "luck."
Just logged in to say he's a shmuck for not going for it on 4th and 2 in the NFCC… rams had no timeouts. That was the game smh, 2 plays later rams were on the same spot 49ers punted from…. I just want these guys to win the whole damn thing already….. now we have ravens and chiefs on the revenge tour' smh
Originally posted by plummerfan:
Just logged in to say he's a shmuck for not going for it on 4th and 2 in the NFCC… rams had no timeouts. That was the game smh, 2 plays later rams were on the same spot 49ers punted from…. I just want these guys to win the whole damn thing already….. now we have ravens and chiefs on the revenge tour' smh

I thought so as well at the time, Kyle is weird that he's young enough to be a modern coach, but probably due to his connection with his dad and how long he's been around the game, he's a bit old school with his thinking.

I'd like to speak to him and ask him how often he thinks a defense would be able to stop him with 4 downs to get 10 yards? That's the new age of thinking.

Now if you have negative plays, or you're in your own redzone, by all means punt it away, but that's the way the league is going.

Brandon Staley is ahead of the game, he probably needs to reign it in a bit, but Kyle needs to push the boundaries a bit more.

With all that said if Tartt makes the interception we win anyway.

I thought so as well at the time, Kyle is weird that he's young enough to be a modern coach, but probably due to his connection with his dad and how long he's been around the game, he's a bit old school with his thinking.

I'd like to speak to him and ask him how often he thinks a defense would be able to stop him with 4 downs to get 10 yards? That's the new age of thinking.

Now if you have negative plays, or you're in your own redzone, by all means punt it away, but that's the way the league is going.

Brandon Staley is ahead of the game, he probably needs to reign it in a bit, but Kyle needs to push the boundaries a bit more.

Eh. Not sure about that. With how bad the Offense was playing through the 4th Q, we'd most have gone 3 and out anyway. Giving the Rams another opportunity to win the game. Like the original poster stated, It was an odd decision to punt on 4-2 Instead of going for It. I think the team has lost It's mojo by that decision. Momentum had swung In the Rams favour.

Eh. Not sure about that. With how bad the Offense was playing through the 4th Q, we'd most have gone 3 and out anyway. Giving the Rams another opportunity to win the game. Like the original poster stated, It was an odd decision to punt on 4-2 Instead of going for It. I think the team has lost It's mojo by that decision. Momentum had swung In the Rams favour.

Not positive either but we lost by 3. Just that one turnover and a new set of downs wipes out a ton of clock even if you go 3 and out there...at least eat up their TO's.

If Jimmy actually makes one of the many missed reads we win as well imo. It's funny some of the worst HC on going for it on 4th down (and rate of going for it) McVay, Payton, Carroll, Arians, Belichick and the worst since 2017 is Tomlin. Kyle is pretty low on the list as well.
Good read

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think two moves illustrate that he's not sitting on his laurels and is ambitious enough to make it to the top tier of coaches. First his ballsy decision to trade three number one picks for Trey Lance. That is BALLSY! I don't see either Fat Andy or Bellicheat doing that. Second decision - not really ballsy, but a recognition that his OLine isn't up to snuff - two straight years two draft picks devoted to the OLine, and they were high draft picks too. Banks was a number 2 pick, and Burford a number 4 pick (in a very deep Offensive Line draft). I think there was something to the idea that Kyle only liked strong armed pocket passers, and some of his past statements about mobile QB's sounded like he tried to avoid them. But the fact that he went all in on Trey Lance shows me he's not afraid to self scout and change. Walsh did something similar after the '81 super bowl. Walsh thought he could get away with mediocre running backs with his offensive system, but after having a horrible '82 season - he saw the error of his ways and traded for Wendell, a fantastic tier one running back.

Walsh's best clutch runner in '82 was his quarterback, Joe Montana, but all too often Montana was running for his life. His play-run fakes didn't fool anyone; he had to keep the ball himself because he didn't have a running back to hand off to. Worse still, the 49ers' offense became so predictable—opponents concentrated on Wide Receiver Dwight Clark, gang-tackled Montana and forgot about everyone else—that people no longer were calling Walsh a genius.
[...]
Walsh gave the Los Angeles Rams a No. 2 and a No. 4 pick in the 1983 draft in exchange for Tyler, Defensive End Cody Jones and a No. 3 draft choice. To listen to Walsh, the acquisition of Tyler alone was a stroke of, well, sheer genius. "If I had my choice of any available back," he says, "or perhaps any back, period, I would have taken Wendell Tyler."
https://vault.si.com/vault/1983/09/05/its-the-end-zoneor-bust

Good post. We can only hope that the O-Line does It's Nov this season. There's nothing more frustrating than having an O-Line that Is constantly being pushed backwards whilst the QB Is doing his best to make a play. As you said though, It was a ballsy decision to move up and draft Lance ( wasn't expecting that tbh ). Now we finally have out QB, I feel as though their will be higher expectations to win super bowls. The O-Line, QB, Wr's, RB's, Defense, ST, coached will all need to be on the same level for that to happen. As most know, the head coach Is always most responsible for winning/losing games. Let's see what happens now we have a real QB.

I agree. The last two super bowl appearances and the NFC CG - our QB wasn't top tier. Just looking back in hindsight - the QB does matter in big games. We were lucky we had the top tier QB in the five super bowl appearances prior to the super bowl losing streak. Neither Steve or Joe took second place to anyone when they went on the field. They were usually the best on that day, or equal (Marino, Aikman) but not so far behind that the rest of the team had to play a perfect game. Colin and Jimmy are good QB's, but they have proved - along with circumstances - to have fallen short (again in hindsight) such that getting a supremely gifted QB like a Trey Lance will hopefully keep us in games and hopefully get us over the hump. Kyle was with Mike when he was coaching Steve, so he *knows* what a hall of fame QB looks like.
Good read

Bump
  • thl408
Good read

Bump

Nice find. This topic was being discussed the other week in the "Will the offense be different with Lance" thread. The article you linked even showed a very similar play that was shown in the "Will offense be different..." thread with GB showing a bear front with two OLB aligned wide. Then also the GB running play showing how a quick run in between the tackles is a good way to attack two high safeties - a defensive shift that is happening in the league.

That offensive coaching tree has split and will evolve in different ways, each coach tailoring to his team's strengths. Fun read.
  • thl408
From that article above:
And that's really what this next phase of the scheme wars for the wide zone coaches comes down to: how the different branches of this tree will deal with that second safety. McVay found a passer with the arm strength and playmaking creativity to exploit the two-high coverages taking the league by storm. Shanahan has assembled a rushing attack that forces defenses to get into one-high looks.
------

And that right there is a big difference between the 49ers and Rams offense coming into 2022. The thing is, Stafford will never be a factor in the run game whereas Lance already is. Lance will hopefully develop into a dynamic passer over time giving the 49ers the best of both worlds.
Originally posted by NCommand:
All he needs is and elite MVP QB and a lead in the 4Q and it's game over...for him.

I think he will take a QB that actually takes advantage of the plays that are there.
Share 49ersWebzone