There are 200 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
This. I wanted Mike as HC and Kyle as the OC and incumbent HC. Genius. Plus Fangio would have stayed too. That might have been enough for a top GM to come here too.

The irony of Harbs is had he stayed with momentum and not called a TO on that Kaepernick-keeper, we might already have #6. But of course, he was a cluster duck of organization with his hodge podge offense and play calling in system. Game over.

Jim Bo Schembechler Harbaugh

We'd most likely have #6, 7 and 8 If we had gone with that plan. Mike, Kyle and Fangio as our coaches. . Instead, we decided to hire good ol' Tomsula

Sigh.

Only flaw in that is I think Mike would have demanded to be GM. I know we didn't do the best job collecting talent, but Mike hasn't got a great GM record.

If it didn't go well and we fired Mike, we wouldn't have Kyle now.

I'm content, I believe we have the right coach, and I like the cohesion Lynch has provided. I also believe we now have the right QB.

The latter has been the main reason for the lack of trophies IMO, and I believe that's about to change.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
This. I wanted Mike as HC and Kyle as the OC and incumbent HC. Genius. Plus Fangio would have stayed too. That might have been enough for a top GM to come here too.

The irony of Harbs is had he stayed with momentum and not called a TO on that Kaepernick-keeper, we might already have #6. But of course, he was a cluster duck of organization with his hodge podge offense and play calling in system. Game over.

Jim Bo Schembechler Harbaugh

We'd most likely have #6, 7 and 8 If we had gone with that plan. Mike, Kyle and Fangio as our coaches. . Instead, we decided to hire good ol' Tomsula

Sigh.

Only flaw in that is I think Mike would have demanded to be GM. I know we didn't do the best job collecting talent, but Mike hasn't got a great GM record.

If it didn't go well and we fired Mike, we wouldn't have Kyle now.

I'm content, I believe we have the right coach, and I like the cohesion Lynch has provided. I also believe we now have the right QB.

The latter has been the main reason for the lack of trophies IMO, and I believe that's about to change.

I can certainly understand that angle. Yeah, if Mike wanted to move into the FO, that would be it. Kyle's a bit of a chip off the ol' block in that department. Consult? No problem!

Let's hope you're right. We're long overdue.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
Kyle gets it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Article/San-Francisco-49ers-coach-Kyle-Shanahan-pushed-for-Mario-Williams-over-Reggie-Bush-in-2006-51447762/
"I went around the room and asked all of them who they thought we should draft, and I started with Kyle because he was the youngest," Casserly said, per the Mercury News. "Kyle said we should take Mario Williams, because he was the best player for the franchise. Think about that. He was an offensive coach, we needed a running back, and he said we should take the defensive player … That's why I always thought he would be a head coach, because he can see the big picture."

Yup in order to be a good offensive play caller you need to learn the defense inside/out. You gotta understand what can stop your offense. He values pass rushers and so does Lynch. That's a core principal in building a roster for them.

Kyle has mastered manipulating a defense's expectations…he understands the rules that apply to a coverage or how a DB/LBer is taught to cover a receiver on a route. I remember him talking to a ref right before a play saying Kittle is gonna get held on this play and to be watching. Sure enough it happened.

He understands how each element of a given concept will impact a defense, even if the point is to run a 4 yard run now, but that play will setup an explosive later in the game.

No one's perfect, but kyle is a damn good HC. You can see how he adapts (problem solves) based on personnel and how teams are playing defense against SF. I'm excited to see the new elements he's adding with a new QB and how the offense evolves.

I can see Kyle evolving the typical scramble drill into an entirely separate and groundbreaking new kind of offense.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Kyle gets it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Article/San-Francisco-49ers-coach-Kyle-Shanahan-pushed-for-Mario-Williams-over-Reggie-Bush-in-2006-51447762/
"I went around the room and asked all of them who they thought we should draft, and I started with Kyle because he was the youngest," Casserly said, per the Mercury News. "Kyle said we should take Mario Williams, because he was the best player for the franchise. Think about that. He was an offensive coach, we needed a running back, and he said we should take the defensive player … That's why I always thought he would be a head coach, because he can see the big picture."

Yup in order to be a good offensive play caller you need to learn the defense inside/out. You gotta understand what can stop your offense. He values pass rushers and so does Lynch. That's a core principal in building a roster for them.

Kyle has mastered manipulating a defense's expectations…he understands the rules that apply to a coverage or how a DB/LBer is taught to cover a receiver on a route. I remember him talking to a ref right before a play saying Kittle is gonna get held on this play and to be watching. Sure enough it happened.

He understands how each element of a given concept will impact a defense, even if the point is to run a 4 yard run now, but that play will setup an explosive later in the game.

No one's perfect, but kyle is a damn good HC. You can see how he adapts (problem solves) based on personnel and how teams are playing defense against SF. I'm excited to see the new elements he's adding with a new QB and how the offense evolves.

I can see Kyle evolving the typical scramble drill into an entirely separate and groundbreaking new kind of offense.

Kyle gets it.

Ironically, that's exactly what this team needs to practice beyond the scripted plays. Russell Wilson and his receivers used to have a separate practice on these drills and perfected it (as we know). It won't be so much Trey needing to practice it as the receivers knowing when to bail and play back to Trey. We suck at that. I genuinely don't know if Kyle even wants them to abandon their zones.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Kyle gets it.

Ironically, that's exactly what this team needs to practice beyond the scripted plays. Russell Wilson and his receivers used to have a separate practice on these drills and perfected it (as we know). It won't be so much Trey needing to practice it as the receivers knowing when to bail and play back to Trey. We suck at that. I genuinely don't know if Kyle even wants them to abandon their zones.

Well I do know that Steve and Joe used the scramble drill to free up or direct the WR which way they wanted the WR to go. For example: even though Joe didn't need to scramble, he faked like he was going to scramble and Russ Francis (when he looked back, he *thought* Joe was scrambling) changed his route to an up route (vs an out route) due to the scramble drill and got a critical first down on that critical playoff game (I forget which one) in 1984. The sprint right option was essentially a moving pocket play.

Kyle can design a play that *looks like* it's breaking down, but actually by design, it puts the offense at an advantage. A screen pass is a typical example of that kind of design concept. Another example was that Steve Young, on those boots, he'd ether make the first down with his legs, or he'd scramble a bit and the pass receivers would break their routes and go into their scramble drill patterns. A typical scramble drill is that the WR's in the middle of the field would break their routes off and head towards the sideline where Steve was running to, and the WR's on the sideline would break their routes to an up route, and those Wr's running deep routes would actually head to the opposite sideline to where Steve was Running to. With Trey's arm, I can see those deep scramble drill routes becoming bombs like the Deebo TD in the Houston game.

Trey improved a couple of times in the Houston game.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Trey improved a couple of times in the Houston game.

No doubt. And the receivers dropped it. But hey, at least they were working back to him. It'll become more natural with time.
Marc Adams has a nice editorial above on HC and 9ers. Mainly tho, it is about KS. Essentially it is what probably every poster has thot or said at one time or another …and that is playcalling in the 4th Qtr of season ending games, esp with a double digit lead.. He never said "too conservative" but he sure mentioned more than once, that our money guys, (in NFCCG) both Deebo and Kittle got the ball only 4 of 15 plays, near end of game.

In SB game couple yrs back, it was again, our RBs didn't get but a couple chances to handle the ball near end of game.When i re-watched both games, it just looked ultra CONSERVATIVE. Before I looked back, that is exactly what i recalled….the best playcaller in the league going south on playcalllng and basically giving both games away. Kyle is a way better playcaller than he showed at end of both those games, and as much as i like the guy, no question, he got real conservative towards the end, almost beginning at start of 4th qtr.

That's no news to most , but it is one thing that Kyle has got to improve upon. Killer instinct if ahead near end of game. Used to be we called that "Playing not to lose"….errr…and now….well, we still call it that..

poor guy has a lot of his plate this yr, starting with being hands on on all O coaching, in that every coach seems to be new. That's a tall order for a HC, but that is one thing kyle MUST DO. After that, he needs to be working on E O G (end of game) plans as we get nearer to playoffs and then once in playoffs…same thing. E O G planning.

Adams did say that one thing kyle needs to do is get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. Kittle…Deebo…Aiyuk,…probably Jennings…and we''ll see about our two new guys, our new RB and Ray Ray. But no question kyle has got to get better in big game finales. And the further the season goes along, the more that matters. In the championship game, we had the Rams handled and then in 4th qtr, they just dominated us….better playcalls by Rams, esp on D….and on O…he just threw the ball to Kupp. We had no answer for either.

it's' nothing new but is a reminder of what KS has got to do better at this yr. If he is going to be HC here for next 10-15 yrs, then he will have to get better at E O G.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 22, 2022 at 2:52 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marc Adams has a nice editorial above on HC and 9ers. Mainly tho, it is about KS. Essentially it is what probably every poster has thot or said at one time or another …and that is playcalling in the 4th Qtr of season ending games, esp with a double digit lead.. He never said "too conservative" but he sure mentioned more than once, that our money guys, (in NFCCG) both Deebo and Kittle got the ball only 4 of 15 plays, and esp near end of game.

In SB game couple yrs back, it was again, our RBs didn't get but a couple chances to handle the ball near end of game.When i re-watched both games, it just looked ultra CONSERVATIVE. Before I looked back, that is exactly what i recalled….the best playcaller in the league going south on playcalllng and basically giving both games away. Kyle is a way better playcaller than he showed at end of both those games, and as much as i like the guy, no question, he got real conservative towards the end, almost beginning at start of 4th qtr.

That's no news to most , but it is one thing that Kyle has got to improve upon. Killer instinct if ahead near end of game. Used to be we called that "Playing not to lose"….errr…and now….well, we still call it that..

poor guy has a lot of his plate this yr, starting with being hands on on all O coaching, in that every coach seems to be new. That's a tall order for a HC, but that is one thing kyle MUST DO. After that, he needs to be working on E O G (end of game) plans as we get nearer to playoffs and then once in playoffs…same thing. E O G planning.

Adams did say that one thing kyle needs to do is get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. Kittle…Deebo…Aiyuk,…probably Jennings…and we''ll see about our two new guys, our new RB and Ray Ray. But no question kyle has got to get better in big game finales. And the further the season goes along, the more that matters. In the championship game, we had the Rams handled and then in 4th qtr, they just dominated us….better playcalls by Rams, esp on D….and on O…he just threw the ball to Kupp. We had no answer for either.

it's' nothing new but is a reminder of what KS has got to do better at this yr. If he is going to be HC here for next 10-15 yrs, then he will have to get better at E O G.

Yeah, good article on the choke artist that is our beloved Kyle Shanahan. Haha.

Ironically, what got us there (running) was what he either stopped doing or we weren't successful in when we needed to close out games. That would be the equivalent of the Rams not being able to pass when needed most.

But nobody focuses on that here.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marc Adams has a nice editorial above on HC and 9ers. Mainly tho, it is about KS. Essentially it is what probably every poster has thot or said at one time or another …and that is playcalling in the 4th Qtr of season ending games, esp with a double digit lead.. He never said "too conservative" but he sure mentioned more than once, that our money guys, (in NFCCG) both Deebo and Kittle got the ball only 4 of 15 plays, near end of game.

what people complained about is not being conservative "run the ball".. Film has proven he's trying to get his playmakers the ball..just jimmy failed to get them the ball
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
what people complained about is not being conservative "run the ball".. Film has proven he's trying to get his playmakers the ball..just jimmy failed to get them the ball

I preface this by saying I like KS..

Go back to NFCCG.. We got a TD to get the infamous 10 pt lead.. LAR responds with a Kupp TD.. game now 17-14 49ers with 13:30 to play..

JG starts nice on the next series - hits 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. We advance to SF 47 yard line. Then this happens:

Mitchell gain of 9 to LAR 44.. sets up 2nd and 1
Mitchell -1 yards to LAR 45... tackle by Weddle.. now 3rd and 2
Juice no gain.. 4th and 2
35 yard punt after 5 yard penalty.. 30 yard net field position.. turnover..

Just terrible.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Go back to NFCCG.. We got a TD to get the infamous 10 pt lead.. LAR responds with a Kupp TD.. game now 17-14 49ers with 13:30 to play..

JG starts nice on the next series - hits 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. We advance to SF 47 yard line. Then this happens:

Just terrible.

k**e has failed but Jimmy G is a bum.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Just terrible.

... and Failure Kyle coulda signed TB
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Just terrible.

... and Failure Kyle coulda signed TB
when are you going to show everyone how is that possible.. just repeating it over and over doesn't make it feasible
Share 49ersWebzone