There are 213 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marc Adams has a nice editorial above on HC and 9ers. Mainly tho, it is about KS. Essentially it is what probably every poster has thot or said at one time or another …and that is playcalling in the 4th Qtr of season ending games, esp with a double digit lead.. He never said "too conservative" but he sure mentioned more than once, that our money guys, (in NFCCG) both Deebo and Kittle got the ball only 4 of 15 plays, and esp near end of game.

In SB game couple yrs back, it was again, our RBs didn't get but a couple chances to handle the ball near end of game.When i re-watched both games, it just looked ultra CONSERVATIVE. Before I looked back, that is exactly what i recalled….the best playcaller in the league going south on playcalllng and basically giving both games away. Kyle is a way better playcaller than he showed at end of both those games, and as much as i like the guy, no question, he got real conservative towards the end, almost beginning at start of 4th qtr.

That's no news to most , but it is one thing that Kyle has got to improve upon. Killer instinct if ahead near end of game. Used to be we called that "Playing not to lose"….errr…and now….well, we still call it that..

poor guy has a lot of his plate this yr, starting with being hands on on all O coaching, in that every coach seems to be new. That's a tall order for a HC, but that is one thing kyle MUST DO. After that, he needs to be working on E O G (end of game) plans as we get nearer to playoffs and then once in playoffs…same thing. E O G planning.

Adams did say that one thing kyle needs to do is get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. Kittle…Deebo…Aiyuk,…probably Jennings…and we''ll see about our two new guys, our new RB and Ray Ray. But no question kyle has got to get better in big game finales. And the further the season goes along, the more that matters. In the championship game, we had the Rams handled and then in 4th qtr, they just dominated us….better playcalls by Rams, esp on D….and on O…he just threw the ball to Kupp. We had no answer for either.

it's' nothing new but is a reminder of what KS has got to do better at this yr. If he is going to be HC here for next 10-15 yrs, then he will have to get better at E O G.

Yeah, good article on the choke artist that is our beloved Kyle Shanahan. Haha.

Ironically, what got us there (running) was what he either stopped doing or we weren't successful in when we needed to close out games. That would be the equivalent of the Rams not being able to pass when needed most.

But nobody focuses on that here.

I'm not sure who deserves most of the blame for losing the NFCCG against the Rams. The QB who couldn't see his open receivers, or the coach who stuck with him for so long? . Whichever way you look at, failing to gain a single yard through most of the 4th quarter when we desperately needed something, was pretty bad, regardless of who we had at QB.

I believe good coaches become great coaches by learning from their errors. Bad coaches tend to repeat their mistakes. We'll See how much Kyle has learned from that game by what he does with Lance and the offense In the near future.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
what people complained about is not being conservative "run the ball".. Film has proven he's trying to get his playmakers the ball..just jimmy failed to get them the ball

I preface this by saying I like KS..

Go back to NFCCG.. We got a TD to get the infamous 10 pt lead.. LAR responds with a Kupp TD.. game now 17-14 49ers with 13:30 to play..

JG starts nice on the next series - hits 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. We advance to SF 47 yard line. Then this happens:

Mitchell gain of 9 to LAR 44.. sets up 2nd and 1
Mitchell -1 yards to LAR 45... tackle by Weddle.. now 3rd and 2
Juice no gain.. 4th and 2
35 yard punt after 5 yard penalty.. 30 yard net field position.. turnover..

Just terrible.

Complete just one of these handful of plays we win IMO

Jimmy threw a hospital ball to Deebo Q2 at 1:34. Late on a slant zero anticipation.
Q3 at around 14:55 Jimmy has a Boot/out and throws a cross his body to Deebo, should have been a pick 6.
QR4 around 13:00 1st and 10 has a easy pass to BA at the LOS setup for yac and tosses it right into the ground.

It wasn't all dog s**t though, liked the ball thrown outside the numbers to BA in QR2 around 8 mins. s**t was just bad luck that he stepped out of bounds. Maybe he could lead BA more but overall I wasn't super upset with that.

Glad he recognized the blown coverage by Weddle in the RZ for an easy Kittle TD. Liked the 3rd and 5 in QR3 to BA on an in-breaking route, he actually threw with anticipation there.

That 4th and 2 call to Juice was a horrible call agreed there. Who's that delay of game on in the 4th though? It's not like they weren't all lined up ready to go. Man when Jimmy scrambled out of the pocket to make a play, it's truly a terrifying experience lol. Ramsey should have picked that off and IMO he had Jennings open downfield (was a tough play though).

OL did no favors towards the end either. Trent had no business playing.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I'm not sure who deserves most of the blame for losing the NFCCG against the Rams. The QB who couldn't see his open receivers, or the coach who stuck with him for so long? . Whichever way you look at, failing to gain a single yard through most of the 4th quarter when we desperately needed something, was pretty bad, regardless of who we had at QB.

I believe good coaches become great coaches by learning from their errors. Bad coaches tend to repeat their mistakes. We'll See how much Kyle has learned from that game by what he does with Lance and the offense In the near future.

I mean I've watched that game over and over, no doubt a couple head scratching calls and some WTF moments on the OL. But there was a s**t ton of quality play calls that you would expect a NFL QB to make. Our team was still in a place to win that game even with our most important position not being on the same tier as there's.

As far as the coach who stuck with Jimmy. I mean they did win a s**t ton of games together. People act like you can just pull a elite QB out of your butt and if any fan base should realize that's not the case, it should be this one. They made a move for a young kid that has the upside to be that, it's not like they didn't make a move at all. Everyone getting all caught up in there feels about hindsight 20/20 stuff with not getting Brady or not drafting Mahomes needs to go back to when that was an option, not after the fact.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
when are you going to show everyone how is that possible.. just repeating it over and over doesn't make it feasible

PJ fleck would have made it work lol. Yeah people complaining about stuff like that after the fact is lazy, epically not providing any context on how it would have realistically make it work.

The only thing that I can think of with Brady was Jimmy getting traded back to NE. I don't remember how his money was setup and what SF would have had to eat to make that work. NOW imagine if Jimmy who just came off a Super Bowl loss became NE's QB for the next decade and Brady was acting like a 42 yr old QB coming off one of his worsts seasons. Our fan base would have rioted. No plan past an old Brady, we just let a young good QB go back to NE.

It's super easy to debate that s**t after the fact, but it wasn't that easy.
Marc Adams has a nice editorial above on HC and 9ers. Mainly tho, it is about KS. Essentially it is what probably every poster has thot or said at one time or another …and that is playcalling in the 4th Qtr of season ending games, esp with a double digit lead.. He never said "too conservative" but he sure mentioned more than once, that our money guys, (in NFCCG) both Deebo and Kittle got the ball only 4 of 15 plays, and esp near end of game.

In SB game couple yrs back, it was again, our RBs didn't get but a couple chances to handle the ball near end of game.When i re-watched both games, it just looked ultra CONSERVATIVE. Before I looked back, that is exactly what i recalled….the best playcaller in the league going south on playcalllng and basically giving both games away. Kyle is a way better playcaller than he showed at end of both those games, and as much as i like the guy, no question, he got real conservative towards the end, almost beginning at start of 4th qtr.

That's no news to most , but it is one thing that Kyle has got to improve upon. Killer instinct if ahead near end of game. Used to be we called that "Playing not to lose"….errr…and now….well, we still call it that..

poor guy has a lot of his plate this yr, starting with being hands on on all O coaching, in that every coach seems to be new. That's a tall order for a HC, but that is one thing kyle MUST DO. After that, he needs to be working on E O G (end of game) plans as we get nearer to playoffs and then once in playoffs…same thing. E O G planning.

Adams did say that one thing kyle needs to do is get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. Kittle…Deebo…Aiyuk,…probably Jennings…and we''ll see about our two new guys, our new RB and Ray Ray. But no question kyle has got to get better in big game finales. And the further the season goes along, the more that matters. In the championship game, we had the Rams handled and then in 4th qtr, they just dominated us….better playcalls by Rams, esp on D….and on O…he just threw the ball to Kupp. We had no answer for either.

it's' nothing new but is a reminder of what KS has got to do better at this yr. If he is going to be HC here for next 10-15 yrs, then he will have to get better at E O G.

Ironically, what got us there (running) was what he either stopped doing or we weren't successful in when we needed to close out games. That would be the equivalent of the Rams not being able to pass when needed most.

Totally. Kyle was just one aspect of that loss to go with my grocery long list of reasons. I don't weigh one aspect heavier than any other because one play most likely means we win that game. We were up 2 scores in the 4Q and lost by 3. That means whether it was Kyle, Garoppolo, Tartt, CB, ST, OL, etc. as a reason we lost, we were right there, and like with the Superbowl, were actually playing better than our opponents until the momentum shifted on the other team making a play late in the game...and that's where this entire team collapses. Under that momentum swing/pressure.

That culture probably won't change with just a QB change either.

Like you said, the best you can hope for is that Kyle "does his job" by learning from his last 3 attempts at winning a Superbowl and that his play makers finally, make that play when it's needed most.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 23, 2022 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I mean I've watched that game over and over, no doubt a couple head scratching calls and some WTF moments on the OL. But there was a s**t ton of quality play calls that you would expect a NFL QB to make. Our team was still in a place to win that game even with our most important position not being on the same tier as there's.

As far as the coach who stuck with Jimmy. I mean they did win a s**t ton of games together. People act like you can just pull a elite QB out of your butt and if any fan base should realize that's not the case, it should be this one. They made a move for a young kid that has the upside to be that, it's not like they didn't make a move at all. Everyone getting all caught up in there feels about hindsight 20/20 stuff with not getting Brady or not drafting Mahomes needs to go back to when that was an option, not after the fact.

That's what I'm saying. This loss was a team effort, from coaching, to poor QB play, execution, ect. It's not like it's the first time we've seen this happen to this team either. It's something that will need to be worked on and corrected, so we don't see another meltdown like the one we saw against the Rams and Chiefs. Like I said before, not being able to gain a single yard with something like 12 mins remaining Is Inexcusable Imo.

As for the QB, when you see a particular QB struggling that much, why not try something different? What's the worst that could have happened? Didn't Lance show Improvement through the last game he participated In? Not saying it would have helped us win, but It may have gave the offense a spark It so desperately needed at a crucial time of the game.
Totally. Kyle was just one aspect of that loss to go with my grocery long list of reasons. I don't weigh one aspect heavier than any other because one play most likely means we win that game. We were up 2 scores in the 4Q and lost by 3. That means whether it was Kyle, Garoppolo, Tartt, CB, ST, OL, etc. as a reason we lost, we were right there, and like with the Superbowl, were actually playing better than our opponents until the momentum shifted on the other team making a play late in the game...and that's where this entire team collapses. Under that momentum swing/pressure.

Like you said, the best you can hope for is that Kyle "does his job" by learning from his last 3 attempts at winning a Superbowl and that his play makers finally, make that play when it's needed most.

No one buys that for a second.

No doubt. It's not like it was a one-off either. Our coach has been Involved In multiple situations In what some would consider a "choke job" dating back to his time with the Falcons ( super bowl ). The same Issues continue to plague Kyle when the pressure Is on. ( Super bowls x2, NFCCG ). You think Kyle has finally learned from those mistakes? I'd like to think so, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Go back to NFCCG.. We got a TD to get the infamous 10 pt lead.. LAR responds with a Kupp TD.. game now 17-14 49ers with 13:30 to play..

JG starts nice on the next series - hits 2 of 3 passes for 33 yards. We advance to SF 47 yard line. Then this happens:

Just terrible.

k**e has failed but Jimmy G is a bum.

Kyle just doesn't trust Jimmy with the ball, rightfully so. He didn't trust Jimmy in the 2019 NFCCG, then put the ball in Jimmy's hands in the 2019 SB.
Originally posted by father49er:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Just terrible.

k**e has failed but Jimmy G is a bum.

Kyle just doesn't trust Jimmy with the ball, rightfully so. He didn't trust Jimmy in the 2019 NFCCG, then put the ball in Jimmy's hands in the 2019 SB.

The article on the Home page showed just the opposite. If anything, he didn't trust his running game.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I really don't. Now, if we were a pass centric offense, I'd definitely hold the QB much higher but here, the running game is the feature, first and foremost. QB is still the most though but when the RB touches the ball as much as the QB does to throw, it's pretty easy to apply weight more evenly.

I really don't. Now, if we were a pass centric offense, I'd definitely hold the QB much higher but here, the running game is the feature, first and foremost. QB is still the most though but when the RB touches the ball as much as the QB does to throw, it's pretty easy to apply weight more evenly.

I wish you were a oddsmaker in Vegas

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Are you two trying to imply I weigh the OL most?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Are you two trying to imply I weigh the OL most?
Share 49ersWebzone