There are 245 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I just read an article that mentioned that Kyle has been outscored 59-0 In the 4thQ/OT of three crucial games, two super bowls and his most recent NFCCG. Yikes. Why does he seem to struggle with the 4th Q so much?. I also heard that our MVP from 2021 "Deebo" last touch of the NFCCG came with almost 13 mins left on the clock. Once again.. YIKES. No wonder Deebo refuses to sign an extension. Seriously though, this Is something Kyle really needs to Improve upon If he's gonna bring it home for us.

Much of that is caused by the defenses not stopping the other team. People complain that he needs to run more but then the run gets stuffed. If he passes more he's not eating up the clock. I said this on another post but the players have to make plays. Every play is designed to gain yards. When linemen miss blocks of the QB doesn't see an open receiver, it's not coaches fault. To be fair the KC Chiefs were a better team that we outplayed for 3 quarters. They got their defense and offense rolling in the 4th quarter and we couldn't stop them. The Rams receiver scouldn't be contained in the 4th quarter. Stafford had time to throw and he found the open guys. Jimmy did squat again in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying I completely disagree with that, but at some point, the offense needs to be scoring points or at very least maintain drive's to keep the defense fresh. And doesn't excuse why he stopped using Deebo at crucial times of the game. Just something to think about moving forward.
Originally posted by captveg:
How much was he outscored in the 4th quarter of the playoff games he won?

It's almost as though the losses have stats that - get this- explain why they lost. Hmm, I wonder if the playoff wins show the opposite....

As much as he deserves praise for those playoff wins, and he really does. What he did towards the end of last season was as Impressive as it gets Imo. Kudos to Kyle for that, but this Is more about the lack of offensive production from 4th Q of crucial games more than anything. It's not so much about the outcome of a game. It's more about his struggles In those 4th Q situations.

It's also worth noting that Matt Ryan actually Said some about how Kyle was hesitant with his playcalling In the last 6 minutes of the Falcons super bowl loss. Something about how Kyle would allow the clock to tick down to the last 15 seconds before giving Ryan's the play. I found that Interesting Tbh.
Even though he melts down during big games, he's the best coach since harbaugh. He's a keeper
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Even though he melts down during big games, he's the best coach since harbaugh. He's a keeper

Agreed.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
LOL... not that they don't see it, they just REFUSE to .. it's that easy...

they continue to blame the QB when the HC had his chances to replace him with another QB..

Kyle is the most overrated HC I've ever seen since Kyle..

Moon, what an incredibly erroneous statement to make. You seem to be forgetting kyle came to a team with 2 legit starters…Buck on D and Staley on O. Other than that we had NO talent. By 2nd yr, at start of season, 33 of the 45 slots had been cut/traded, whatever. At start of 3rd yr we were down to just a handful of original 9er players. In fact, JL/KS completely revamped a talentless team in 3 yrs, an amazing feat.

Surely you haven't forgotten that within the first 5 yrs here, we just came off a NFCCG appearance and 2 yrs before had been in the SB. Yes we lost 'em both but in both games we were injured , and over those yrs we were the most injured team in the NFL, going back 8 yrs. The fact we made it to the SB and NFCCG with all the injuries is just a testament to exactly how good a HC kyle is. No one else has taken a team with virtually no starters and within 5 yrs has gotten to the title game or the next to last game…which in both cases we limped into the final NFC and title game.

In both cases, those were feats nothing short of miraculous. I guess you have also forgotten the incredible flunky coaches we have had during the previous 16 yrs prior to his arrival. We stunk. Our HCs were laughable. Our team, no thanks to horrible coaching, went from powerhouse to outhouse. And we stayed that way basically from turn of century until 2 yrs into Kyle's regime. We did have 1 good yr under harbaw but that was it.

Just a suggestion , moon, but since you have forgotten, go dig up some film of what really bad coaches look like from 2000- 2016 end of season. If you want to call kyle over rated, have at it. But you are making yourself look foolish in doing so. Look at what we have now and recall back after Seifert and before kyle and you will be looking at some incredibly horrible coaches. You seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

It's pointless. You ask him to show what he thinks should have been called on a given play with the down/distance and coverage shown and crickets.

now his new take is yeah Jimmy missed a bunch of open reads that were GOOD play calls…but it's his fault he didn't bring in a 42 yr old Brady who just came off one of his worst seasons…Monday morning QB/captain hindsight b******t. Still doesn't talk about how you pay for Brady/Jimmy (Jimmy had GTD cash after his 2019 SB run). Thinks it's Madden or something or that Kyle doesn't want a pro-bowl QB (even though that's been debunked).

AGAIN..... more power to. you KS10 supporters if you enjoy partying ang jumping for joy and yelling " WE ALMOST WON !! WE ALMOST WON !! "

🥔

You don't have to call yourself dumb too lol

u still mad for getting mouth raped ??

Lol

Kyle gets too much blame for the big loses when the blame should be almost entirely on player execution.

Agreed.

Yup. I feel Lynch is holding him back.

Agreed.

Agreed. I guess in that regard, they are one in the same...for us. LOL
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Agreed.

Yup. I feel Lynch is holding him back.

Lol tf how!? Lynch made the horrific choice of Thomas and Foster but Kyle has also made crappy choices in rbs and putting all his eggs in the Kirk Cousins basket. No GM or HC is perfect but those 2 are definitely the right guys to bring 6 and I'm confident about that.

they continue to blame the QB when the HC had his chances to replace him with another QB..

Moon, what an incredibly erroneous statement to make. You seem to be forgetting kyle came to a team with 2 legit starters…Buck on D and Staley on O. Other than that we had NO talent. By 2nd yr, at start of season, 33 of the 45 slots had been cut/traded, whatever. At start of 3rd yr we were down to just a handful of original 9er players. In fact, JL/KS completely revamped a talentless team in 3 yrs, an amazing feat.

Surely you haven't forgotten that within the first 5 yrs here, we just came off a NFCCG appearance and 2 yrs before had been in the SB. Yes we lost 'em both but in both games we were injured , and over those yrs we were the most injured team in the NFL, going back 8 yrs. The fact we made it to the SB and NFCCG with all the injuries is just a testament to exactly how good a HC kyle is. No one else has taken a team with virtually no starters and within 5 yrs has gotten to the title game or the next to last game…which in both cases we limped into the final NFC and title game.

In both cases, those were feats nothing short of miraculous. I guess you have also forgotten the incredible flunky coaches we have had during the previous 16 yrs prior to his arrival. We stunk. Our HCs were laughable. Our team, no thanks to horrible coaching, went from powerhouse to outhouse. And we stayed that way basically from turn of century until 2 yrs into Kyle's regime. We did have 1 good yr under harbaw but that was it.

Just a suggestion , moon, but since you have forgotten, go dig up some film of what really bad coaches look like from 2000- 2016 end of season. If you want to call kyle over rated, have at it. But you are making yourself look foolish in doing so. Look at what we have now and recall back after Seifert and before kyle and you will be looking at some incredibly horrible coaches. You seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

It's pointless. You ask him to show what he thinks should have been called on a given play with the down/distance and coverage shown and crickets.

now his new take is yeah Jimmy missed a bunch of open reads that were GOOD play calls…but it's his fault he didn't bring in a 42 yr old Brady who just came off one of his worst seasons…Monday morning QB/captain hindsight b******t. Still doesn't talk about how you pay for Brady/Jimmy (Jimmy had GTD cash after his 2019 SB run). Thinks it's Madden or something or that Kyle doesn't want a pro-bowl QB (even though that's been debunked).

AGAIN..... more power to. you KS10 supporters if you enjoy partying ang jumping for joy and yelling " WE ALMOST WON !! WE ALMOST WON !! "

????

You don't have to call yourself dumb too lol

u still mad for getting mouth raped ??

You're so cringe, I really feel bad for you.

don't feel bad for me, it's not the side of my mouth that got ripped..

go clean up, rest and keep thinking of a HAPPY THOUGHT !!!

You can't even type correctly when using your 12 year old elementary school attacks.

🥔

Originally posted by NCommand:
#JimmyGaroppolo'sFault
#MattRyan's'sFault

#RGFault

I just read an article that mentioned that Kyle has been outscored 59-0 In the 4thQ/OT of three crucial games, two super bowls and his most recent NFCCG. Yikes. Why does he seem to struggle with the 4th Q so much?. I also heard that our MVP from 2021 "Deebo" last touch of the NFCCG came with almost 13 mins left on the clock. Once again.. YIKES. No wonder Deebo refuses to sign an extension. Seriously though, this Is something Kyle really needs to Improve upon If he's gonna bring it home for us.

We all pretty much remember that, altho i had no idea it was that lopsided. But here's a thot:

were the plays called just bad,…or were the guys we needed to make those plays not yet on the team? Remember to get here we came a long way from having nothing when KS and JL arrived.

In support of that, look at what just happened. We got creamed in NFCCG by DBs that couldn't cover, and an OL that couldn't block an admittedly dangerous DL /front 7 on the Rams. So before draft even got started JL/KS brot in DB help, and a couple of these guys are damn fine DBs. We also drafted another later on. OL? It got abused in 4th qtr of NFCCG. They had held up pretty well but we had our best OL, Trent, on one leg. The remainder were just worn out from the Rams D all game .We had backups …they just weren't the caliber needed. I hope kyle fixes that with 10 OLs this yr.

so what happened in draft and UDFA? Well, we brot in 4 OLs, 2 of whom look really good and a 3rd, may also. We also made our best player better by getting him a bookend EDGE. Among OLs, we got big 'uns and then matched that wiht big boy RBs.

In other words, we had 2 massive weaknesses last season, and question, is , did Kyle have enough horses to win the NFCCG…or did he make mistakes in playcalls? Chicken and egg conundrum. Was it the lack of DBs, and OLs ((healthy ones) who could power /man block when we needed that 2 yards on 3 and 2 or 1 yard at the goal line? Answer is we didn't have those guys nor did we have DBs either, and then watched as Kupp ran all over us in 4th Qtr. (Did he have 14 catches or something like that?)

So was this truly bad playcalling, or did kyle just not have the players that he needed to make the calls. My guess it it was some of both, but now with the talent we really needed at DB and OL and big RBs, we now have. Again guessing, but faced with similar situations this time. I bet his play calls are a heckuva lot better…as is the talent he has to make it happen.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 27, 2022 at 7:21 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Much of that is caused by the defenses not stopping the other team. People complain that he needs to run more but then the run gets stuffed. If he passes more he's not eating up the clock. I said this on another post but the players have to make plays. Every play is designed to gain yards. When linemen miss blocks of the QB doesn't see an open receiver, it's not coaches fault. To be fair the KC Chiefs were a better team that we outplayed for 3 quarters. They got their defense and offense rolling in the 4th quarter and we couldn't stop them. The Rams receiver scouldn't be contained in the 4th quarter. Stafford had time to throw and he found the open guys. Jimmy did squat again in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying I completely disagree with that, but at some point, the offense needs to be scoring points or at very least maintain drive's to keep the defense fresh. And doesn't excuse why he stopped using Deebo at crucial times of the game. Just something to think about moving forward.
Originally posted by captveg:
How much was he outscored in the 4th quarter of the playoff games he won?

It's almost as though the losses have stats that - get this- explain why they lost. Hmm, I wonder if the playoff wins show the opposite....

As much as he deserves praise for those playoff wins, and he really does. What he did towards the end of last season was as Impressive as it gets Imo. Kudos to Kyle for that, but this Is more about the lack of offensive production from 4th Q of crucial games more than anything. It's not so much about the outcome of a game. It's more about his struggles In those 4th Q situations.

It's also worth noting that Matt Ryan actually Said some about how Kyle was hesitant with his playcalling In the last 6 minutes of the Falcons super bowl loss. Something about how Kyle would allow the clock to tick down to the last 15 seconds before giving Ryan's the play. I found that Interesting Tbh.

Maybe it's just that those teams were better than the 49ers?

We all pretty much remember that, altho i had no idea it was that lopsided. But here's a thot:

were the plays called just bad,…or were the guys we needed to make those plays not yet on the team? Remember to get here we came a long way from having nothing when KS and JL arrived.

In support of that, look at what just happened. We got creamed in NFCCG by DBs that couldn't cover, and an OL that couldn't block an admittedly dangerous DL /front 7 on the Rams. So before draft even got started JL/KS brot in DB help, and a couple of these guys are damn fine DBs. We also drafted another later on. OL? It got abused in 4th qtr of NFCCG. They had held up pretty well but we had our best OL, Trent, on one leg. The remainder were just worn out from the Rams D all game .We had backups …they just weren't the caliber needed. I hope kyle fixes that with 10 OLs this yr.

so what happened in draft and UDFA? Well, we brot in 4 OLs, 2 of whom look really good and a 3rd, may also. We also made our best player better by getting him a bookend EDGE. Among OLs, we got big 'uns and then matched that wiht big boy RBs.

In other words, we had 2 massive weaknesses last season, and question, is , did Kyle have enough horses to win the NFCCG…or did he make mistakes in playcalls? Chicken and egg conundrum. Was it the lack of DBs, and OLs ((healthy ones) who could power /man block when we needed that 2 yards on 3 and 2 or 1 yard at the goal line? Answer is we didn't have those guys nor did we have DBs either, and the watched as Kupp ran all over us in 4th Qtr. (Did he have 14 catches or something like that?)

So was this truly bad playcalling, or did kyle just not have the players that he needed to make the calls. My guess it it was some of both, but now with the talent we really needed at DB and OL and big RBs, we now have. Again guessing, but faced with similar situations this time. I bet his play calls are a heckuva lot better…as is the talent he has to make it happen.

I honestly thought this team was talented enough to beat the Rams In the NFCCG, even with a QB who seemed hesitant to pull the trigger. Imo, It's hard to fault the players for the loss, when the teams MVP of 2021 ( Deebo ) wasn't utilised once with almost 13 mins remaining ( similar to 2019 super bowl ).

Imo, when the Same coach Is outscored 59-0 through the 4th Q of 3 crucial games, that would seem more of a coaching thing more than anything else. We can't always blame the QB, especially when one was an MVP winner ( Matt Ryan ) and another ( JG ) was hand-picked ahead of Trey Lance to start that game ( NFCGG ) head coach Is responsible for the team that Is on the field, so it only seems logical to put a large percentage of the blame on him.

Moving forward though, we'll see If the trend continues or will Kyle finally cure those 4th Q woes.

Originally posted by Giedi:

Better teams? Or better coached?.

In other words, we had 2 massive weaknesses last season, and question, is , did Kyle have enough horses to win the NFCCG…or did he make mistakes in playcalls? Chicken and egg conundrum. Was it the lack of DBs, and OLs ((healthy ones) who could power /man block when we needed that 2 yards on 3 and 2 or 1 yard at the goal line? Answer is we didn't have those guys nor did we have DBs either, and the watched as Kupp ran all over us in 4th Qtr. (Did he have 14 catches or something like that?)

I honestly thought this team was talented enough to beat the Rams In the NFCCG, even with a QB who seemed hesitant to pull the trigger. Imo, It's hard to fault the players for the loss, when the teams MVP of 2021 ( Deebo ) wasn't utilised once with almost 13 mins remaining ( similar to 2019 super bowl ).

Imo, when the Same coach Is outscored 59-0 through the 4th Q of 3 crucial games, that would seem more of a coaching thing more than anything else. We can't always blame the QB, especially when one was an MVP winner ( Matt Ryan ) and another ( JG ) was hand-picked ahead of Trey Lance to start that game ( NFCGG ) head coach Is responsible for the team that Is on the field, so it only seems logical to put a large percentage of the blame on him.

Moving forward though, we'll see If the trend continues or will Kyle finally cure those 4th Q woes.

we obviously have the BETTER team...

up 10 points... + 2 stupid replay challenged... took DEEVAH out of his GAME PLAN.. calls a FB Dive on 4th and 2... what more should we point out?

we obviously have the BETTER team...

up 10 points... + 2 stupid replay challenged... took DEEVAH out of his GAME PLAN.. calls a FB Dive on 4th and 2... what more should we point out?

he was trying to be fair, since society is all about equality now... didn't want to exploit his advantage and give equal chance for both teams. Are you against equality for everyone ?
Share 49ersWebzone