There are 240 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9moon:
we obviously have the BETTER team...

up 10 points... + 2 stupid replay challenged... took DEEVAH out of his GAME PLAN.. calls a FB Dive on 4th and 2... what more should we point out?

Lol pointing out two things and disregarding contextualism of what the defense is running down/distance etc.

how about providing substance to what YOU would do because you clearly think you're smarter than our HC.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9moon:
we obviously have the BETTER team...

up 10 points... + 2 stupid replay challenged... took DEEVAH out of his GAME PLAN.. calls a FB Dive on 4th and 2... what more should we point out?

Lol pointing out two things and disregarding contextualism of what the defense is running down/distance etc.

how about providing substance to what YOU would do because you clearly think you're smarter than our HC.

It's the nature of fans to praise the players when the team wins and fault the coach or officials when they lose. It's hard to accept that the other team was better when it mattered the most. Them last minutes of almost any athletic contest are often the most crucial. Baseball trams rally in the 9th. Basketball teams tighten their defense and make some big shots. Boxers who are behind in the scorecards come out swinging and get a knockout. It's hard to tell when it's the team in front collapsing or the team behind rallying.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's the nature of fans to praise the players when the team wins and fault the coach or officials when they lose. It's hard to accept that the other team was better when it mattered the most. Them last minutes of almost any athletic contest are often the most crucial. Baseball trams rally in the 9th. Basketball teams tighten their defense and make some big shots. Boxers who are behind in the scorecards come out swinging and get a knockout. It's hard to tell when it's the team in front collapsing or the team behind rallying.

Eh. I'm not sure I fully agree with that. I thought the 9ers we're a better team. The win was there for the taking and then we choked It away like we did in the super bowl.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Eh. I'm not sure I fully agree with that. I thought the 9ers we're a better team. The win was there for the taking and then we choked It away like we did in the super bowl.

They may have been better but it's up for debate. The Rams certainly had the better QB and in the end that was what made the difference. The Rams receivers were also better that day and of course Aaron Donald did his thing in the 4th quarter. Even if you believe the 49ers were better, the best team doesn't always play the best. Fans often get so wrapped up in their own team that they forget that the other guys are paid professional too. In the NFL which prides itself on parity, that difference between the best and worst teams is often only 2 or 3 good players. We see this when a losing team has a good draft and signs a major free agent and suddenly becomes a playoff team.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 27, 2022 at 7:20 AM ]
Stafford wasn't that good himself. He threw an errant psss that was Intercepted by Ward, then threw another one up for grabs later on, the one that was dropped by Tarrt. Fwiw. It's not really about the outcome of those games. It's more about the lack of production from the offense through the 4th Q of those games. There's literally no excuse not to be gaining a single yard on offense with 12 mins remaining. It doesn't help when you forget how to utilise one of the best players ( Deebo ) in the league either.
Stafford wasn't that good himself. He threw an errant psss that was Intercepted by Ward, then threw another one up for grabs later on, the one that was dropped by Tarrt. Fwiw. It's not really about the outcome of those games. It's more about the lack of production from the offense through the 4th Q of those games. There's literally no excuse not to be gaining a single yard on offense with 12 mins remaining. It doesn't help when you forget how to utilise one of the best players ( Deebo ) in the league either.

Stafford was 31/45 for 331 yards and 2 TDs and 1 INT. He led the team to 13 points in the 4th quarter. I think 49er fans would love those stats from Jimmy.

They may have been better but it's up for debate. The Rams certainly had the better QB and in the end that was what made the difference. The Rams receivers were also better that day and of course Aaron Donald did his thing in the 4th quarter. Even if you believe the 49ers were better, the best team doesn't always play the best. Fans often get so wrapped up in their own team that they forget that the other guys are paid professional too. In the NFL which prides itself on parity, that difference between the best and worst teams is often only 2 or 3 good players. We see this when a losing team has a good draft and signs a major free agent and suddenly becomes a playoff team.

This is not only fair, but true. I am not ignoring the "59 to 0" fact mentioned above. Just thinking when you put everything out there, did Kyle not call certain plays because he knew his OL couldn't block for it, (3rd and 2, eg) or did his normally astute playcalling just get ratcheted down a bit?

It is just a question, not a fact. The object was to be fair and consider all that went into Kyle's playcalling at end of a SB and most recently NFCCG. I honestly don't know, but there's no question that if there were plays he wanted to call but didn't, one of the reasons could certainly have been he knew that his RB or OL or DB…whatever…couldn't make the plays he wanted to call.

Additionally, what exactly is wrong with assuming the other team is better than ours, and the loss went to the team that just wasn't quite as good as the team that won ? As fans we always think our team is better, but in our last loss, the Rams definitely had the better team. Whether just on talent (which was true with A. Donald and Stafford, plus Kupp and a certain DB)… there was also the cold hard fact we were beat up with injuries and Rams were #1 in league health wise (see NCommand's voluminous thread on this, all factual).

True , when 2 teams meet and talent is pretty close on both sides, the healthier team wins…ALWAYS. Lot of fans conveniently forget that. Good news is our days of moneyball are over for anybody other than a rd 6 or 7 pick or UDFA. That alone has made this team better, but we still are working out from under the Dee situation…and there are still others.

Not making excuses, but just trying to be fair. My hope is that this yr or next, when E O G situations arise, Kyle makes better playcalls than in his last two SB & NFCCG games because of better OGs that are man/ power blockers matched with bigger , more rugged power RBs (ie, when we need 2 yds on 3rd down, these man/power OGs make the hole and the power RBs make the yards). Conversely on D, when one WR is giving us a pasting (Kupp) we now have better and more talented DBs to neutralize him ( i can only hope).

a one line simple summary is: "when kyle has significantly better talent in E O G (End of Game) situations (esp at man/power OGs, power RBs and DBs who can cover), his playcalling will be significantly better."

I believe the last FA/draft/ trade/ UDFA proves that point. JL/KS strengthened us most at OG, CB/S, STs, power RBs, and (altho done last yr)…QB. Whether all this influx of needed talent all gets on same page this yr…or next, IDK. But if they do and we somehow make it into the playoffs, i don't see us geting beat

Stafford was 31/45 for 331 yards and 2 TDs and 1 INT. He led the team to 13 points in the 4th quarter. I think 49er fans would love those stats from Jimmy.
jimmy got scared.. Matt didn't care if he won or lost.. he was going to go out fighting
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

jimmy got scared.. Matt didn't care if he won or lost.. he was going to go out fighting

Jimmy got scared because the Rams D stepped up. Sometimes it's more about when you make the plays rather than how many you make. The Niners did a pretty good job on Donald but in the 4th quarter he started getting more pressure.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Jimmy got scared because the Rams D stepped up. Sometimes it's more about when you make the plays rather than how many you make. The Niners did a pretty good job on Donald but in the 4th quarter he started getting more pressure.
film shows he had time and wide open options right in front of him.. but didn't want to throw it. The pressure was due to holding onto the ball

Exactly! Sure, Kyle could have called Deebo's number for a screen pass or run up the middle or something quick to get him involved. However, its not like Deebo couldn't have made a play if he was actually targeted on the typical pass plays that were called late in the game.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

He'd hire a coach who cant beat Bowling Green
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This is not only fair, but true. I am not ignoring the "59 to 0" fact mentioned above. Just thinking when you put everything out there, did Kyle not call certain plays because he knew his OL couldn't block for it, (3rd and 2, eg) or did his normally astute playcalling just get ratcheted down a bit?

It is just a question, not a fact. The object was to be fair and consider all that went into Kyle's playcalling at end of a SB and most recently NFCCG. I honestly don't know, but there's no question that if there were plays he wanted to call but didn't, one of the reasons could certainly have been he knew that his RB or OL or DB…whatever…couldn't make the plays he wanted to call.

Additionally, what exactly is wrong with assuming the other team is better than ours, and the loss went to the team that just wasn't quite as good as the team that won ? As fans we always think our team is better, but in our last loss, the Rams definitely had the better team. Whether just on talent (which was true with A. Donald and Stafford, plus Kupp and a certain DB)… there was also the cold hard fact we were beat up with injuries and Rams were #1 in league health wise (see NCommand's voluminous thread on this, all factual).

True , when 2 teams meet and talent is pretty close on both sides, the healthier team wins…ALWAYS. Lot of fans conveniently forget that. Good news is our days of moneyball are over for anybody other than a rd 6 or 7 pick or UDFA. That alone has made this team better, but we still are working out from under the Dee situation…and there are still others.

Not making excuses, but just trying to be fair. My hope is that this yr or next, when E O G situations arise, Kyle makes better playcalls than in his last two SB & NFCCG games because of better OGs that are man/ power blockers matched with bigger , more rugged power RBs (ie, when we need 2 yds on 3rd down, these man/power OGs make the hole and the power RBs make the yards). Conversely on D, when one WR is giving us a pasting (Kupp) we now have better and more talented DBs to neutralize him ( i can only hope).

a one line simple summary is: "when kyle has significantly better talent in E O G (End of Game) situations (esp at man/power OGs, power RBs and DBs who can cover), his playcalling will be significantly better."

I believe the last FA/draft/ trade/ UDFA proves that point. JL/KS strengthened us most at OG, CB/S, STs, power RBs, and (altho done last yr)…QB. Whether all this influx of needed talent all gets on same page this yr…or next, IDK. But if they do and we somehow make it into the playoffs, i don't see us geting beat

I honestly thought Kyle did a decent job for the most part against the Rams In the NFCCG before the wheels came off In the 4th Q ( we've seen that before from Kyle's offense, regardless of who's the QB )

As for the "E.O.G" situations. We can only hope that he Improves with experience. It's hard to say how much better or worse the O-Line will be this year. As of right now, it's reasonable to think that the team could be a little worse than last season's team based on what we've done through free agency.

Fingers crossed that Lance helps Kyle out with those 4th Q struggles and we can finally referring to him as a "choke artist". Until he wins the big one. I think he'll always be labelled as that. It's brutal being a coach In this league lol
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Exactly! Sure, Kyle could have called Deebo's number for a screen pass or run up the middle or something quick to get him involved. However, its not like Deebo couldn't have made a play if he was actually targeted on the typical pass plays that were called late in the game.

After re-watching the game. It would seem Kyle once again went away from what was working. We all know by now that Deebo Is at his best when you get him the ball with those quick hitters. Let him do the rest.. for whatever reason, Kyle stopped that In the 4th Q.

Ps. That 3rd and 2 run up the middle with Juice, followed by punting the ball was the bad version of Kyle. The momentum was In favour of the Rams after that.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

After re-watching the game. It would seem Kyle once again went away from what was working. We all know by now that Deebo Is at his best when you get him the ball with those quick hitters. Let him do the rest.. for whatever reason, Kyle stopped that In the 4th Q.

Ps. That 3rd and 2 run up the middle with Juice, followed by punting the ball was the bad version of Kyle. The momentum was In favour of the Rams after that.

Yup. The typical hindsight. He should have ran it when he passed it and he should have passed it when he ran it. The idea that Kyle is at fault when the passes were there to be made but the QB refused to pull the trigger is what bothers me the most.

The O line did a good job in pass pro up until the last 2 drives of the game. Even on those last 2 drives Kyle schemed guys open on short, quick throws though. Take a look at the, I believe it was the 2nd to last offensive play, where Kittle faked a pass block and was wide open in the flat for like15 yards of green grass in front of him and Jimmy didn't even look his way. Instead he was late on the throw to the rb and ended up being an incomplete pass.
Share 49ersWebzone