Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
McNabb was kind of an Eagles version of Alex Smith.

how?

I'll wade into this.. McNabb was a great QB.. perhaps Alex in reverse.. in the sense Smith started out a clueless train wreck and aged like fine wine.. while McNabb was a superstar early and faded as he didn't really take care of himself. Papa Shanny told him straight up to get in shape fatty. He really let himself go over time.

Found this quote from the web:

Apparently, Donovan failed to heed the NO FAT QB'S sign Shanahan hung outside the Redskins practice facility. You Eagles fans get to sit back and watch all this lunacy unfold with a bit of bemused detachment. Again, this episode brings us right back to Super Bowl XXXIX, when McNabb was slow and lumbering during the six-minute drill and vomiting on the field. Was McNabb not in shape to run the hurry-up offense then? Has he ever been?

Early on.. he was fire.

4th and 26 to Freddie Mitchell.

Yessir

This one too.. eff the cowboys..

That one was badass also.

Sick
I know we got into McNabb as a comparison to Trey, but the comparison to Kyle is quite interesting (and subsequently Andy Reid).

Kyle will be thought of like McNabb, talented but flawed, because although they helped their teams to several big games, they didn't win it all.

To become Reid he just has to win the big one and history (and this forum) will think differently of him.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I know we got into McNabb as a comparison to Trey, but the comparison to Kyle is quite interesting (and subsequently Andy Reid).

Kyle will be thought of like McNabb, talented but flawed, because although they helped their teams to several big games, they didn't win it all.

To become Reid he just has to win the big one and history (and this forum) will think differently of him.

Let's hope Trey is more like Steve Young 2.0 then.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Will definitely take that. Trey will always be compared to athletic QB's, but it's the Brady like qualities that for me will propel his career.

I'm more impressed with how he carries himself, and how much he's going to work, than I am with his athleticism and arm strength.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Trey is going to tear it up.

Will definitely take that. Trey will always be compared to athletic QB's, but it's the Brady like qualities that for me will propel his career.

I'm more impressed with how he carries himself, and how much he's going to work, than I am with his athleticism and arm strength.

Me too. Guys get pigeonholed too much these days.

Is he gonna get 20 years to do it? Or will fans ride him out of town (like Philly did) and kyle will get a ring with the next team?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Is he gonna get 20 years to do it? Or will fans ride him out of town (like Philly did) and kyle will get a ring with the next team?

20? He should get no more than 3.
Originally posted by Koldo:

20? He should get no more than 3.

Koldo, what's your take in the PYMWYMI thread?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Koldo, what's your take in the PYMWYMI thread?

Week 1- @ Chicago W
Week 2 - Seahawks W
Week 3 - @ Denver (SNF) L
Week 4 - Rams (MNF) L
Week 5 - @ Carolina (short week, travel to East Coast) W
Week 6 - @ Atlanta (possibly stay in the East) W
Week 7 - Chiefs L
Week 8 - @ LA Rams L
Week 9 - Bye
Week 10 - Chargers (SNF) W
Week - 11 - @ Arizona (MNF) L
Week 12 - Saints W
Week 13 - Dolphins W
Week 14 - Buccaneers L
Week 15 - @ Seahawks (TNF - short week) W
Week 16 - Commanders W
Week 17 - @ Las Vegas L
Week 18 - Cardinals (TBD) W

10 - 7

As long as Trey's learning curve isn't too steep.

This

He's plenty athletic and IMO being the scout QB last year helped him broaden his game and repertoire.

No chance he gets 20 without a ring, but I think it should depend on how the team is actually trending. Are there genuine reasons behind failures, or just excuses?

I think we'll win some and it won't be an issue, but I'd give it at least 5 years before even considering his position. I've seen enough that I don't want to gamble on an unknown quantity.

No chance he gets 20 without a ring, but I think it should depend on how the team is actually trending. Are there genuine reasons behind failures, or just excuses?

I think we'll win some and it won't be an issue, but I'd give it at least 5 years before even considering his position. I've seen enough that I don't want to gamble on an unknown quantity.

How many coaches actually get 20 years without at least winning a super bowl? Just curious?

I agree that Kyle deserves about 5 years as our coach before we even contemplate replacing him with someone else.

Aslong as he keeps winning games, competing for championships and helps the 9ers remain competitive, It's unlikely Jed will do some crazy like fire him.

As I mentioned before though, the expectations may Increase now that he has his chosen QB, and rightful so.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
How many coaches actually get 20 years without at least winning a super bowl? Just curious?

I agree that Kyle deserves about 5 years as our coach before we even contemplate replacing him with someone else.

Aslong as he keeps winning games, competing for championships and helps the 9ers remain competitive, It's unlikely Jed will do some crazy like fire him.

As I mentioned before though, the expectations may Increase now that he has his chosen QB, and rightful so.

Not many. Reid was one, Bill Cowher was another as he won his first SB in his 14th year as Steelers HC.

But Bill also managed to 10+ games for 9 out of the 15 years as HC.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Yes. The expectations should increase. This team has every kind of weapon that a top playcaller and 3rd overall QB could ever ask for.
Share 49ersWebzone