There are 227 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Here we go.

Breaking news: The Shanahan's are control freaks. Their QB's are just right-armed puppets.

What does that mean when you say Kyle controls his QBs? Meaning the QB has reads and progressions to adhere to for a play? That's every NFL passing play.

Reading comprehension bro
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Here we go.

Breaking news: The Shanahan's are control freaks. Their QB's are just right-armed puppets.

What does that mean when you say Kyle controls his QBs? Meaning the QB has reads and progressions to adhere to for a play? That's every NFL passing play.

Reading comprehension bro

Listening comprehension bro.
Here we go.

Yup. If the primary isn't open than the QB must sit in the pocket and take a sack. What a f**king control freak.

I have a feeling you'll be in the John Lynch thread soon enough. But not before you have dragged this one into the dumpster like you did the O line thread.

You're finally starting to get it! LOL

It has been mostly an uneventful off season, hasn't it? I cannot wait for Niner football to be here once again. I feel really positive about this team. I am guessing you are dreading another season where we go deep into the playoffs inspite of a terrible HC/GM and a QB who deals with arm fatigue.
  • thl408
Here we go.

Here's the pod: 11:57-17:04 (there's a transcript if you'd rather read it)

Ok I think I get what they're saying. The ability to go off script will always be there for Lance. The aspect that needs development is the pocket passing. So that's what Kyle will be drilling into Lance's head. If Kyle teaches, "look at progression 1, then 2, then bail out and go off script", then guess what Lance will resort to if he isn't comfortable with his first reads.

If we see Lance stay in the pocket despite it breaking down all around him, then we'll know he's being tied down by Kyle instructing him to do so. Steve Young wanted Kap to tie his legs together so that he'd be forced to make reads without bailing out too quickly - "exhaust the play".

When it comes to freedom within the structure of a rhythm pass play, there is no such thing as freedom to do whatever. If the play is to be executed with timing between the dropback and the depth of the routes, there is a specific order to work the reads.
Here we go.

Ok I think I get what they're saying. The ability to go off script will always be there for Lance. The aspect that needs development is the pocket passing. So that's what Kyle will be drilling into Lance's head. If Kyle teaches, "look at progression 1, then 2, then bail out and go off script", then guess what Lance will resort to if he isn't comfortable with his first reads.

If we see Lance stay in the pocket despite it breaking down all around him, then we'll know he's being tied down by Kyle instructing him to do so. Steve Young wanted Kap to tie his legs together so that he'd be forced to make reads without bailing out too quickly - "exhaust the play".

When it comes to freedom within the structure of a rhythm pass play, there is no such thing as freedom to do whatever. If the play is to be executed with timing between the dropback and the depth of the routes, there is a specific order to work the reads.

My exact point. We saw JG not have the best game and Kyle saying he had a nice game. He did what was asked. We heard JG say he's just doing what he's told.

So with a more mobile QB, like with JG to start 2018, if we see Trey staying in there eating it, we'll have the first sign Kyle might be trying to control him too much.

I'm not too concerned but wanted to bring it here for others to keep an eye on especially early.
Here we go.

This is it. Trey will never develop if he takes off and runs everytime his first read isn't open. He needs to learn when it is appropriate to make a play outside the structure of the play design.
Here we go.

Yup. If the primary isn't open than the QB must sit in the pocket and take a sack. What a f**king control freak.

I have a feeling you'll be in the John Lynch thread soon enough. But not before you have dragged this one into the dumpster like you did the O line thread.

You shouldn't dumb down topics by posting about dumbing down topics.
Here we go.

This is it. Trey will never develop if he takes off and runs everytime his first read isn't open. He needs to learn when it is appropriate to make a play outside the structure of the play design.

But what does that have to do with the actual topic of Kyle also might wanting to restrict him too much too early and the long term effects that could have on his develop and confidence to take off when he should?
I remember Middlekauff reporting in Jimmy's second season that he was already driving Kyle crazy because he wasn't a robot aka playing within the framework of the play calls. McVay dumped Goff for the same reason: there was too much being left on the field.

I'm not worried. Kyle is a stickler for a reason: he's a genius with the X's and O's. The pressure will either make or break Trey, and I'm betting on the former.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 9, 2022 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I remember Middlekauff reporting in Jimmy's second season that he was already driving Kyle crazy because he wasn't a robot aka playing within the framework of the play calls. McVay dumped Goff for the same reason: there was too much being left on the field.

I'm not worried. Kyle is a stickler for a reason: he's a genius with the X's and O's. The pressure will either make or break Trey, and I'm betting on the former.

Me too! It also helps being 21, wide-eyed, impressionable, growing up in a strict, military upbringing, etc. He'll be able to handle it.

• thl408
Here we go.

But what does that have to do with the actual topic of Kyle also might wanting to restrict him too much too early and the long term effects that could have on his develop and confidence to take off when he should?

Ok so we are just referring to Lance having the freedom to abandon his reads and take off. We are not taking about sticking to a specific order when going through progressions.

There is always a balance with this when working with a mobile QB. As Lance gains experience, the hope is that he finds this balance on his own. For now, he needs to be drilled about going through his reads in the pocket because that is what he needs to work on, and that is what makes a QB consistent - the ability to execute a pass play in rhythm.

If Kyle wanted a QB who wouldn't cause concerns about abandoning reads to freelance, then he never would have drafted a QB that has the ability to perform out of structure.
Here we go.

Ok so we are just referring to Lance having the freedom to abandon his reads and take off. We are not taking about sticking to a specific order when going through progressions.

There is always a balance with this when working with a mobile QB. As Lance gains experience, the hope is that he finds this balance on his own. For now, he needs to be drilled about going through his reads in the pocket because that is what he needs to work on, and that is what makes a QB consistent - the ability to execute a pass play in rhythm.

If Kyle wanted a QB who wouldn't cause concerns about abandoning reads to freelance, then he never would have drafted a QB that has the ability to perform out of structure.

One of the points Crocker made was that he felt Kyle may have restricted JG too much, to the point he didn't take deep shots, lost confided and made throws to the primaries no matter what b/c of being grilled by Kyle to trust it. Kyle wanting to BE the QB...so to speak. So much so he wants to see JG in another system that may encourage a bit more freedom (unless he's already broken).

I don't know if that is true or not.

But if it is, an early sign of that "control freak" with Trey might be in situations where Trey clearly should abandon, but he stays in there and gets hit/sacked/negative play. That pre season game where he was sacked 5 times might have been a bit of him just trying to trust the play call no matter what as instructed.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 9, 2022 at 1:39 PM ]
  • thl408
Here we go.

One of the points Crocker made was that he felt Kyle may have restricted JG too much, to the point he didn't take deep shots, lost confided and made throws to the primaries no matter what b/c of being grilled by Kyle to trust it. Kyle wanting to BE the QB...so to speak. So much so he wants to see JG in another system that may encourage a bit more freedom (unless he's already broken).

But if it is, an early sign with Trey might be that in situations where Trey clearly should abandon, he stays in there and gets hit/sacked/negative play. That pre season game where he was sacked 5 times might have been a bit of him just trying to trust the play call no matter what.

I heard Crocker say that and I think he's just speculating. To suggest that Kyle restricted Jimmy I find funny because I think Kyle 'made' Jimmy more than restricted him. Perhaps a passing offense that uses more spread formations could fit Jimmy better. I think Jimmy's lower body mechanics is what restricted Jimmy from taking more (being better at) deep throws.
Here we go.

But if it is, an early sign with Trey might be that in situations where Trey clearly should abandon, he stays in there and gets hit/sacked/negative play. That pre season game where he was sacked 5 times might have been a bit of him just trying to trust the play call no matter what.

I heard Crocker say that and I think he's just speculating. To suggest that Kyle restricted Jimmy I find funny because I think Kyle 'made' Jimmy more than restricted him. Perhaps a passing offense that uses more spread formations could fit Jimmy better. I think Jimmy's lower body mechanics is what restricted Jimmy from taking more (being better at) deep throws.

Yeah. He is speculating but we did see a successful JG playing off script with confidence when he first arrived. Then we saw it start to shift quickly upon trying to play within script with Kyle's full oversight.

So while he is speculating, he said if Jimmy goes to another team and regains that 2017 form and Trey goes from having this mindset (see below) to far more "restricted," Crocker might be on to something here. Kyle wants to be the QB here.

Trey on his own game: 1:45 mark

"I appreciate when I can play how I play and be off schedule."

^ I imagine that was RGIII's mentality too coming in to the league.

He's also speculating based off two different NFL QB's who have played for the Shanahan's.

Anyway, it's just something to watch for and let's see how things evolve.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 9, 2022 at 2:13 PM ]
Yeah. He is speculating but we did see a successful JG playing off script with confidence when he first arrived. Then we saw it start to shift quickly upon trying to play within script with Kyle's full oversight.

So while he is speculating, he said if Jimmy goes to another team and regains that 2017 form and Trey goes from having this mindset (see below) to far more "restricted," Crocker might be on to something here. Kyle wants to be the QB here.

Trey on his own game: 1:45 mark

"I appreciate when I can play how I play and be off schedule."

^ I imagine that was RGIII's mentality too coming in to the league.

He's also speculating based off two different NFL QB's who have played for the Shanahan's.

Anyway, it's just something to watch for and let's see how things evolve.

It is interesting to hear Trey say that he prefers to play that way given that he rarely played off-schedule in college. 🤔
Share 49ersWebzone