LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 291 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• thl408
Originally posted by zugschef:
Originally posted by thl408:
Not the best analogy there, Y2R. They scouted Brock and selected him. Yes they got lucky that Brock ended up playing so well, but the front office did scout and select him when no other team thought to select him.

The point is that Purdy hasn't proven to be a long-term answer yet and your argument doesn't hold against the pure facts of 3 wasted 1st round picks which very well could've meant winning a trophy if invested somewhere else (somewhere like pass protection...).

What is my argument that doesn't hold? That Brock was scouted and selected? He was scouted and selected. What is wrong with what I said?
Free Trey from the clown 🤡 show!!!
What is my argument that doesn't hold? That Brock was scouted and selected? He was scouted and selected. What is wrong with what I said?

Your argument seems to be that Purdy makes up 3 wasted 1st round picks. Imho that argument doesn't hold because you can't compare the 3 1sts which are lost and won't ever come back with Purdy who might still turn out to warrent his draft status.

Your argument seems to be that Purdy makes up 3 wasted 1st round picks. Imho that argument doesn't hold because you can't compare the 3 1sts which are lost and won't ever come back with Purdy who might still turn out to warrent his draft status.

I know it is early so far, but as of now Purdy makes up those picks. Perhaps come back in a few years to make a conclusion.
  • thl408

Got it. Yes, the three picks used for Lance are never coming back. It was a terrible move for the 49ers based on the little return they got. But if the goal is to find a quality QB, I think they accomplished that with Brock.
We can simultaneously bash Kyle/Lynch for that bad Lance acquisition, and praise them for finding Brock. I understand the concern of Brock turning into a low level QB. 8 games is not a large sample size and we all experienced the excitement of Kap's and Jimmy's first few starts.
Originally posted by socal1632:

well TL will be leaving with at least $20 million so that should make him feel better
Dear Kyle, thanks for your endless effort, love you. Yours, John

[ Edited by 49ersFan_vienna on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:

This just confuses me even more lol
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

of course it would.

It's GM Speak, he's trying to sell a turd
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

This reads to me like they're trying to sell the point to potential suitors that Trey can function within their offense.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 24, 2023 at 1:27 PM ]

Originally posted by socal1632:

Then only clowns are in this fan base.
I must say this: I am not in favor of calling for Shanny's job. He should NOT be fired. Regardless, he is still a top 3 or top 5 coach. Also, Purdy earned QB1. I like how they handled Purdy. They rightly cleared the deck for him, as they should have. And while I'm NOT a fan of Darnold and feel that we'll never win with him, I'm a bigger 49er fan more than I dislike Darnold.

However, the problem is that they didn't handle Lance that same way. They held onto Jimmy G. when they should have cut bate with him to clear the deck for Lance. For many fans this was the beginning of the mismanagement (well, for me it was drafting Lance in first place). You can't spend that kind of draft capital for a QB, but NOT clear the deck for him, then subject him to a "competition" (that God and the world could see really wasn't a real a competition the minute Darnold was signed) with a known bust, and expect the situation to NOT go left, as it has. Bringing in Darnold and Brandon Allen (who was never gonna be anything worse that QB3) spelled the end for Lance, no matter how good Lance looked. Fans plainly saw this, but yet was told Darnold separated himself 10 days ago ( ) despite of multiple reports from multiple people who were at camp and practices that saw the two with their own eyes, and what the fans saw with their own eyes in preseason games. Now, the fan-base is split all due to how Shanny has managed Lance. (I have to be honest, I have never seen the fan-base this divided, and it's not good.) The only way to this gets fixed is if Shanny wins the SB.

Look, most critics understand why Brock was named the starter. But fans (in particular the national fan-base) aren't buying that it was a real competition. Shanny's mind was made up at the end of last season and this is evidenced by bringing in Darnold and Allen. Fans (at least the national fan-base) aren't buying that Shanny was committed to Lance post-injury. If he was, he would have never subjected him to any competition, because there was simply no need to. So the fact that there was a "competition" signaled that that he was done with Lance, so he really had no shot. Reports are that they have been shopping him all year, but we're supposed to believe there was an honest "competition"? So fans definitely aren't buying what's being sold from Shanny and the local press corps.

Now we're at a point that if you don't think that Shanny now must win a SB within his contract period after this, then you aren't dealing in reality. The heat is on Shanny now. Like it or not, right or wrong, Shanny MUST produce SB number 6 in this SB window, or I can't see him not getting fired, or at the very least not given another contract with the 49ers. Because now, Shanny himself has removed all excuses for failure. Winning is the only deodorant that'll make this mess smell good.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Aug 24, 2023 at 2:06 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Got it. Yes, the three picks used for Lance are never coming back. It was a terrible move for the 49ers based on the little return they got. But if the goal is to find a quality QB, I think they accomplished that with Brock.
We can simultaneously bash Kyle/Lynch for that bad Lance acquisition, and praise them for finding Brock. I understand the concern of Brock turning into a low level QB. 8 games is not a large sample size and we all experienced the excitement of Kap's and Jimmy's first few starts.

I'm an optimist. I think Purdy will be fine (knock on wood).
We wanted a franchise QB, we got a franchise QB. Not the path we expected to take, but ended up in the right location.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Let's be real: Shopping a player who cost 3 1st rounders for a mid-round pick after 5 games would cost any GM the job.

Let's be realer: finding a good QB in the 7th round should get a GM an 'Employee of the Month' award.

That is like saying someone who won the lottery is smart for buying the ticket. It was sheer luck.

Not the best analogy there, Y2R. They scouted Brock and selected him. Yes they got lucky that Brock ended up playing so well, but the front office did scout and select him when no other team thought to select him.

They scouted and selected Trey, Beathard, Mullers and all kinds of other players that didn't turn out. I doubt the very last pick of the draft was actually expected to be anything more than a training camp body and maybe a backup years down the line. If they thought he was something special, why wait until the very last pick? Also, he only played because Trey and Jimmy G got hurt.

They got lucky he wasn't drafted before the last pick, lucky Trey and Jimmy got hurt, and, as you said, lucky he played well. Brock very may well have saved his and Lynch's jobs.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 24, 2023 at 2:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone