LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 270 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Well this team hasn't exactly benefited a whole lot from Kyle's direct involvement in the draft.

Yea, I know. The roster is in need of talent, lol.

He's not perfect by any means but come on guy.

Well, how many of those picks can be directly attributed to him? "Direct" involvement is the keyword. Every FO should be working closely with the coaches to pick the players that fit the criteria they're looking for, but the personnel guys should be more involved in figuring out that who those guys are.

Kyle's notable contributions in the draft room are disregarding everyone else in the room who plead with him to take Mahomes over Solomon Thomas, Joe Williams, Dante Pettis, Trey Lance, CJ Beathard, and probably almost every other pick that's failed and none of the ones that have succeeded.

He should let the evaluators do their work.

Every pick that failed and none that succeeded.

Not even sure where to start with that.....I'll just say - nah.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

All hearsay, at best, too. The point is the roster is awesome. Top 2 in the league at this point. That's a good job by the personnel people.

All hearsay, at best, too. The point is the roster is awesome. Top 2 in the league at this point. That's a good job by the personnel people.

couldn't disagree... and it's TIME to get the right HC to get us that 6th ring !!
Well this team hasn't exactly benefited a whole lot from Kyle's direct involvement in the draft.

Well, how many of those picks can be directly attributed to him? "Direct" involvement is the keyword. Every FO should be working closely with the coaches to pick the players that fit the criteria they're looking for, but the personnel guys should be more involved in figuring out that who those guys are.

Kyle's notable contributions in the draft room are disregarding everyone else in the room who plead with him to take Mahomes over Solomon Thomas, Joe Williams, Dante Pettis, Trey Lance, CJ Beathard, and probably almost every other pick that's failed and none of the ones that have succeeded.

Look we've gotten a lot of value out of rounds 5-7, and it's well known that by those rounds Kyle has usually checked out of the process and is busy watching YouTube highlights of the latest RB he's drafted while the personnel guys finally get to make their picks.
Originally posted by 9moon:

couldn't disagree... and it's TIME to get the right HC to get us that 6th ring !!

And who is that exactly? I'm guessing you're thinking Jed and company are going to find the right HC.
Originally posted by Andra:
And who is that exactly? I'm guessing you're thinking Jed and company are going to find the right HC.

Minnesota Golden Gopher mediocrity
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 24, 2023 at 6:18 PM ]

Look we've gotten a lot of value out of rounds 5-7, and it's well known that by those rounds Kyle has usually checked out of the process and is busy watching YouTube highlights of the latest RB he's drafted while the personnel guys finally get to make their picks.

Sticking with - nah.

You have no idea how much involvement he has.
Originally posted by dj43:

Well, we kind of do, because they're usually pretty open about who or what was behind each pick. Not only that, they had Peter King in the room in 2017 when Kyle overruled Lynch and the rest of the personnel department who had taken Joe Williams off the draft board entirely.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Aug 24, 2023 at 7:58 PM ]

Well, we kind of do, because they're usually pretty open about who or what was behind each pick. Not only that, they had Peter King in the room in 2017 when Kyle overruled Lynch and the rest of the personnel department who had taken Joe Williams off the draft board entirely.

Okay that is one instance. What about Lance? All the talk heads say Kyle wanted Mac Jones and basically got over ruled in favor of Lance. My guess is and I would put money on it, they come to a consensus and a choice is made on most if not all picks.

Originally posted by 9moon:

Are you like habitually hammered when you're on here posting? Lol
  • pd24
  • Veteran

No you don't. Lol. You don't know s**t about the process and neither do we
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Harbaugh was an a*****e and a spazz. Kyle is not. When you're easy to deal with, people tend to keep you around longer. Weird how that works.

More importantly Kyle had the leverage to get personnel power and a monster contract coming in as HC. There's nothing for him to fight about.

Harbaugh was fighting behind closed doors for this (personnel power mainly I believe.). Rightfully so as well.

He didn't really have a say in who got drafted, I think that was his biggest conflict with Baalke. Must be frustrating to not be able to have a large say in who you have to coach up.

Yeah, but there should be collaboration. You shouldn't be drafting a bunch of players that the coach doesn't think fits his system. It should be an open discussion. May not agree on everything but I think it's odd to draft players for a guys system that he doesn't want or think they're a good fit.

the issue with Kyle has never really finding the right type of physical players, it usually comes down to their personality/work ethic. Joe Williams looked great running the ball but had outside issues. Jalen Hurd was a ohysical specimen but super serious injuries. Dante Pettis moved really well but he just didn't love football and didn't want to put in the effort required. Especially in our system where you need to be locked in every play and be a good run blocker.

i think Kyle does a good job at identifying the right athletes/physical aspect if players, just needs to do a better job of interviewing then and studying who/what they are.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by tankle104:
He didn't really have a say in who got drafted, I think that was his biggest conflict with Baalke. Must be frustrating to not be able to have a large say in who you have to coach up.

Especially when he's drafting dudes like AJ Jenkins and LMJ (which is where I think the conflict started).

I still say LMJ wasn't that bad…. at least when you compare him to Joe Williams. Lol

I really liked Kendall Hunter but I think he kept getting injured. Can't quite remember his story but he was good initially

I mean, he's focused on relationships. Bringing in the guys he baby sat and their friends and coaches or guys who took night classes with the GM.

This is insane how much the York's let Mike Shanahan's son get away with. Anyone else who threw away 3 first round picks would have been fired. If we don't win a super bowl this year I would assume Kyle is gone. But then again, he is friends with Jed so they may just let him continue to get runner up trophy's.
Share 49ersWebzone