LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 272 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by glorydayz:
I mean, he's focused on relationships. Bringing in the guys he baby sat and their friends and coaches or guys who took night classes with the GM.

This is insane how much the York's let Mike Shanahan's son get away with. Anyone else who threw away 3 first round picks would have been fired. If we don't win a super bowl this year I would assume Kyle is gone. But then again, he is friends with Jed so they may just let him continue to get runner up trophy's.

The name of the game is building a roster through various aspects - free agency, draft, development, trade, UDFA etc. you don't hit on all of them all the time. You do the best thing for the team at the time - they're not always right.

i wasn't a fan of the whole Trey Lance selection but I'm not mad that the team went for a big swing, just wish they did it a little better. This administration has hit on a lot of things that most teams don't, consistently. Losing three picks isn't a big deal.

you going to fire him for missing on Solomon, Foster, kinlaw? What about the second round pick they've blown like Hurd?

are you going to promote them because they've smashed it with Warner, kittle, huff, Aiyuk, bosa etc?

Their goal is to build a really great team through all aspects, not just first round picks. They've done that better than just about anyone else. It's all about the entire portfolio and how it's doing, not just first round picks. Makes no sense to think they should be "punished" for this trade. Lol it's actually ridiculous. Especially since we are on the other side of those picks now and widely considered top 2 overall team.

it's actually amazing where we are with blowing those picks.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Well this team hasn't exactly benefited a whole lot from Kyle's direct involvement in the draft.

Yea, I know. The roster is in need of talent, lol.

He's not perfect by any means but come on guy.

Well, how many of those picks can be directly attributed to him? "Direct" involvement is the keyword. Every FO should be working closely with the coaches to pick the players that fit the criteria they're looking for, but the personnel guys should be more involved in figuring out that who those guys are.

Kyle's notable contributions in the draft room are disregarding everyone else in the room who plead with him to take Mahomes over Solomon Thomas, Joe Williams, Dante Pettis, Trey Lance, CJ Beathard, and probably almost every other pick that's failed and none of the ones that have succeeded.

He should let the evaluators do their work.

Every pick that failed and none that succeeded.

Not even sure where to start with that.....I'll just say - nah.

I mean, he's focused on relationships. Bringing in the guys he baby sat and their friends and coaches or guys who took night classes with the GM.

This is insane how much the York's let Mike Shanahan's son get away with. Anyone else who threw away 3 first round picks would have been fired. If we don't win a super bowl this year I would assume Kyle is gone. But then again, he is friends with Jed so they may just let him continue to get runner up trophy's.

What a load of absolute nonsense.
Originally posted by tankle104:

The name of the game is building a roster through various aspects - free agency, draft, development, trade, UDFA etc. you don't hit on all of them all the time. You do the best thing for the team at the time - they're not always right.

i wasn't a fan of the whole Trey Lance selection but I'm not mad that the team went for a big swing, just wish they did it a little better. This administration has hit on a lot of things that most teams don't, consistently. Losing three picks isn't a big deal.

you going to fire him for missing on Solomon, Foster, kinlaw? What about the second round pick they've blown like Hurd?

are you going to promote them because they've smashed it with Warner, kittle, huff, Aiyuk, bosa etc?

Their goal is to build a really great team through all aspects, not just first round picks. They've done that better than just about anyone else. It's all about the entire portfolio and how it's doing, not just first round picks. Makes no sense to think they should be "punished" for this trade. Lol it's actually ridiculous. Especially since we are on the other side of those picks now and widely considered top 2 overall team.

it's actually amazing where we are with blowing those picks.

What have those picks gotten us? Runner up trophies?

Jed said we don't hand NFCCG banners.

can't we like bring in someone that has a track record of getting atleast some 1st round picks right lol...
What have those picks gotten us? Runner up trophies?

Jed said we don't hand NFCCG banners.

Seriously how many Lombardi's has Kyle from building this roster? This is the year he really needs to get it done there's no more excuses now. And he better learn when to throw a challenge flag on a catch that's clearly not a catch in the big game. Brock is the real deal so go get that lombardi Kyle. You have everything that you need
Its funny how some fans give Kyle these ultimatums like "win the SB this year or else" as if they had any kind of authority over his job. 🤣
Kyle isn't going anywhere. Even if he doesn't win the SB this season or next. This team would have to completely fall on its face for 2 or more seasons before Kyle's seat started to heat up.
Who wins a SB first ?

Shanny or one of his disciples?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Has there ever been a more successful coach that was worse at drafting? Dude is an enigma. If he could just improve his first round hit rate to 50%, he'd be GOAT.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

can't we like bring in someone that has a track record of getting atleast some 1st round picks right lol...

That tweet is a little disingenuous. Bosa is going to be signed and I can't imagine Aiyuk not getting extended too. McGlinchey we simply couldn't afford, and McKivitz is supposed to be good enough to make up the difference. Colton is the better PP but still improving at run blocking.

Overall, a 3/7 hit rate is not exactly the worst. Middle of the pack I think compared to other teams.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 25, 2023 at 5:56 AM ]

Originally posted by A-R-S:
Has there ever been a more successful coach that was worse at drafting? Dude is an enigma. If he could just improve his first round hit rate to 50%, he'd be GOAT.

That's not exactly fair imo and I'm known to be critical of shanahan when I believe it's warranted.

They've certainly pooched first round and other higher selections. But have absolutely hit grand slams on mid and late round picks.

the frustration is that usually the higher first round ones are easy to not get wrong (bosa for example). So we are left thinking what if this roster didn't miss so many of those first rounders either etc.

ive read posters here says because Kyle and John zero in on the high picks and the scout team does the rest. This could be true and if it is I would hope they can accept this reality themselves by letting their scouts handle the high rounds as well, but I don't think anyone knows the truth.
I've been saying this for years and people are starting to wake up. Shanny is a great scheme guy. Thats it. He's a mediocre head coach who has been carried by his defense. He makes unforgivable mistakes at the most crucial parts of big games. His drafting sucks when he pinpoints a specific player. He had to be convinced to draft purdy. He can't get us a 6th but I'm hoping purdy cN change all that. What scares me is we went through 4 qbs last year and instead of getting help on the oline shanahan goes and gets 2 more qbs. Posters are starting to wake up to Shanahan.

[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 25, 2023 at 6:28 AM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I've been saying this for years and people are starting to wake up. Shanny is a great scheme guy. Thats it. He's a mediocre head coach who has been carried by his defense. He makes unforgivable mistakes at the most crucial parts of big games. His drafting sucks when he pinpoints a specific player. He had to be convinced to draft purdy. He can't get us a 6th but I'm hoping purdy cN change all that. What scares me is we went through 4 qbs last year and instead of getting help on the oline shanahan goes and gets 2 more qbs. Posters are starting to wake up to Shanahan.

Beathard was the only QB that was draftable in a draft that had Mahomes and Watson .

per Shanny

this thinking cost us a f**king DYNASTY
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Harbaugh was an a*****e and a spazz. Kyle is not. When you're easy to deal with, people tend to keep you around longer. Weird how that works.

More importantly Kyle had the leverage to get personnel power and a monster contract coming in as HC. There's nothing for him to fight about.

Harbaugh was fighting behind closed doors for this (personnel power mainly I believe.). Rightfully so as well.

He didn't really have a say in who got drafted, I think that was his biggest conflict with Baalke. Must be frustrating to not be able to have a large say in who you have to coach up.

Well this team hasn't exactly benefited a whole lot from Kyle's direct involvement in the draft.

Yeah, but there should be collaboration. You shouldn't be drafting a bunch of players that the coach doesn't think fits his system. It should be an open discussion. May not agree on everything but I think it's odd to draft players for a guys system that he doesn't want or think they're a good fit.

the issue with Kyle has never really finding the right type of physical players, it usually comes down to their personality/work ethic. Joe Williams looked great running the ball but had outside issues. Jalen Hurd was a ohysical specimen but super serious injuries. Dante Pettis moved really well but he just didn't love football and didn't want to put in the effort required. Especially in our system where you need to be locked in every play and be a good run blocker.

i think Kyle does a good job at identifying the right athletes/physical aspect if players, just needs to do a better job of interviewing then and studying who/what they are.
Agree and keep in mind how young a coach he is still. And is still learning as he goes. First he mostly relied on film, but discovered that intangibles like work ethic, focus, love for the game doesn't appear on film. Neither does conditioning and mental preparation. His scheme injured too many players and so he's adjusted to have bigger OLines and RBs. He's still learning. Bill Walsh, at Kyles age won't be a head coach for another couple of years. Kyle's already been to multiple super bowls and championships. And he's getting better. Specially at the QB positon, despite all the naysayers saying nay.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

That tweet is a little disingenuous. Bosa is going to be signed and I can't imagine Aiyuk not getting extended too. McGlinchey we simply couldn't afford, and McKivitz is supposed to be good enough to make up the difference. Colton is the better PP but still improving at run blocking.

Overall, a 3/7 hit rate is not exactly the worst. Middle of the pack I think compared to other teams.

Agree and I think Trey's 5th year option played an important role in the Bosa negotiations, that's why the QB3/QB2 decision was accelerated by a week. Bosa will be signed, Kyle's not as stupid as Seifert and he wont let go his verison of Charles Haley 2.0.
Share 49ersWebzone