LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 166 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Should, but probably won't. If Drake doesn't pan out, then the pick will be an ER. If he does do well, then a first round NT, TE, or CB.

Um I can just about promise you it won't be a CB. This is also the first year they ever drafted a TE on day 2.

Haha. True. You and I will never get our wish under this regime.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Should, but probably won't. If Drake doesn't pan out, then the pick will be an ER. If he does do well, then a first round NT, TE, or CB.

Um I can just about promise you it won't be a CB. This is also the first year they ever drafted a TE on day 2.

Haha. True. You and I will never get our wish under this regime.

I'm wishing for a first round Trent Williams pick next year - but I think Foerster is the one actually holding Kyle back from drafting an OLineman early. If you look at Kocurek, this guy is always in Kyle and John's ear about drafting a DLineman with the first pick. I don't hear stories of Foerster doing that.
With the way this Trey Lance experiment ended it really puts pressure on the front office and Kyle to bring home a Lombardi in the next couple of years. If Trey ends up playing well for Dallas the pressure will increase even more.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
Icing on top of this s$#t show. Blow 3 round picks on a project and trade him to our nemesis. This will come back to bite us like the last time. Can someone in the organization give Shanny a lifetime ban from picking in the draft?

A bit extreme, but I do like the approach of the scouts and personnel finding guys that fit Shanahan's system. The story Ran Carthan told about finding Eli Mitchell comes to mind, who would be a star now if it weren't for injuries. As opposed to when he got locked on guys like Pettis and Williams and we see how that turned out. I think Kyle should mostly identify his type of what he wants and let everyone else take care of the worse. It's worked out much better that way.

As for the Trey trade, they got as good of value as one could hope. Kyle didn't want to make the trade- Trey requested it. If he couldn't beat out Darnold, with this being his 3rd season in the system, I don't really see this coming back to bite us. Also, I'm surprised more teams didn't jump on that if all it took was a 4th. With Josh Allen entrenched, Buffalo made a lot of sense for Trey as a backup. I think Washington should have jumped on it. Maybe the Raiders (j/k).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
With the way this Trey Lance experiment ended it really puts pressure on the front office and Kyle to bring home a Lombardi in the next couple of years. If Trey ends up playing well for Dallas the pressure will increase even more.

I'm hoping by the time Trey gets to Brock's current level, Brock is at the Brees/Montana level.

To me the trade feels like the Charles Haley trade. We got weaker, and Dallas got stronger. Still, I"m all for it if Trey says he wanted it and thinks he will be happy there. He's talented and deserves a coaching staff that really wants him and do right by him. As for us, I think Kyle is one of the best at using injuries to uncover diamonds in the rough. All of Kyle's 2nd year and Undrafted players can play in the NFL, and they just need a break, in my opinion, like Brock did.

Didn't play well enough to beat out Sam Darnold in the only pro system he's ever known, now he's going to go to Dallas and play well? If reps were the only thing that held him back, he's not going to get what he needs out of Dallas.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'm hoping by the time Trey gets to Brock's current level, Brock is at the Brees/Montana level.

To me the trade feels like the Charles Haley trade. We got weaker, and Dallas got stronger. Still, I"m all for it if Trey says he wanted it and thinks he will be happy there. He's talented and deserves a coaching staff that really wants him and do right by him. As for us, I think Kyle is one of the best at using injuries to uncover diamonds in the rough. All of Kyle's 2nd year and Undrafted players can play in the NFL, and they just need a break, in my opinion, like Brock did.

Wtf? Charles Haley had multiple 10 + sack seasons and had been All-Pro. He was literally the missing link for that Dallas defense who did not have an elite pass rusher. I wanted Trey to succeed, but what exactly do you think he is, right now, on August 26, 2023, that he makes Dallas stronger?

Trey isnt a superstar. just a 3rd string QB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Wtf? Charles Haley had multiple 10 + sack seasons and had been All-Pro. He was literally the missing link for that Dallas defense who did not have an elite pass rusher. I wanted Trey to succeed, but what exactly do you think he is, right now, on August 26, 2023, that he makes Dallas stronger?

I think he's going to be a very good player. So sue me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

Not yet. I'm an optimist. That's who I am.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Big arm. Doesn't need to scoot around in the pocket to unload. More mobil than dak. Can take a shot. he can perform in a big line, 7 step environment. Hell get more time next year.
I was never against the trade even thoughI thought it was a risk to take a guy with so little experience and give up that much in the process. still I felt that they must have seen something and were willing to gamble. They knew they were getting a greenhorn.

What bothers me is how they handled this. When you take a gamble like they did you have to be ready to go all in and do everything you can to make it work. I think they gave uo too quickly. The fewest NFL games of any top 10 pick in history. I know he's not as good as Brock right now and he may never be but I didn't see where Darnold was any better than Trey. They could have named Trey the #2 and keep him for this season.

FUBAR.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 26, 2023 at 3:55 PM ]
Not yet. I'm an optimist. That's who I am.

Going going to be a Super Bowl by March 2024

For. NOw yes. You will be crying about letting him go in two years. Cowboys win a ring with him. Mark my words.
[ Edited by Bringbackedjr on Aug 26, 2023 at 4:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

For. NOw yes. You will be crying about letting him go in two years. Cowboys win a ring with him. Mark my words.

or he may just be an injury prone QB who doesnt see the field well and hesitates to throw to open guys.

mArK mY wOrDs!11!!
Share 49ersWebzone