LISTEN: This Isn't Kyle Shanahan's Year →

There are 309 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shanahan doesn't currently have a warm seat, much less a hot seat. 3 things would have to happen for that:

1. Niners would have to struggle this season, either missing the playoffs completely or getting ousted first round
  2. Purdy (and Darnold if he plays) would have to struggle, showing they're not the answer
  3. Either Purdy & Darnold both get injured OR Lance plays and plays better than either.

If all three occur, then the seat would be hot.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Mooch, Harbaugh come to mind on the 49ers...

Good Coaching does not grow on trees, and great coaching is rare.

Was it Bill Parcells that got fired from the jets? Lol...you are the JETS....you cant replace Bill Parcells...I think they went into like a 30 year slump afterwards.

One of the talking heads said something recently...like how many teams now copy Shanny's offense....dude has made a mark on the NFL. That is rare.

There are now 19 teams rostering FBs, it was not that long ago that FBs were almost extinct in the NFL.

I meant currently coaching in the NFL. I think kyle is the longest tenured HC who hasn't won a SB. I mean Marvin Lewis coached Cinci for like 16 yrs and never made it close lol.

oh this isn't a "fire Shanny" post from me. I've posted a ton of pro-kyle things in here. I'm not saying he needs to go. I'm saying he's been given quite the leash and overall has been great…minus figuring out the most important position. If Brock turns into the one. Then sweet. If he doesn't, then at some point something has to give (possibly GM change who has more say). I LOVE kyle the coach, I kinda think having him take a step back with the evaluation/final decision stuff, could help everyone. Just my opinion.

joe banner said this about Kyle a week or so before the trade (he's worked with kyle) said he can be super emotional and shortsighted. I mean, I feel like that's all played out right in front of us.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yah I think after Pederson won the Super Bowl, he had to go with Wentz as his QB that turned out to be a disaster that he couldn't recover from. ND St. QB's are fools gold, no way would I ever think about drafting one from there for a while.

Wait so Doug had to go because of Wentz? Sooo how does that work with Kyle?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Was it Bill Parcells that got fired from the jets? Lol...you are the JETS....you cant replace Bill Parcells...I think they went into like a 30 year slump afterwards.

One of the talking heads said something recently...like how many teams now copy Shanny's offense....dude has made a mark on the NFL. That is rare.

There are now 19 teams rostering FBs, it was not that long ago that FBs were almost extinct in the NFL.

I meant currently coaching in the NFL. I think kyle is the longest tenured HC who hasn't won a SB. I mean Marvin Lewis coached Cinci for like 16 yrs and never made it close lol.

oh this isn't a "fire Shanny" post from me. I've posted a ton of pro-kyle things in here. I'm not saying he needs to go. I'm saying he's been given quite the leash and overall has been great…minus figuring out the most important position. If Brock turns into the one. Then sweet. If he doesn't, then at some point something has to give (possibly GM change who has more say). I LOVE kyle the coach, I kinda think having him take a step back with the evaluation/final decision stuff, could help everyone. Just my opinion.

joe banner said this about Kyle a week or so before the trade (he's worked with kyle) said he can be super emotional and shortsighted. I mean, I feel like that's all played out right in front of us.

I didn't take it as Kyle Bashing,

I was basically agreeing with you... dudes have been fired for less

I personally love Kyle and hope we keep him for the next decade or more, but the dude is not flawless. You can see plain as day the ego. We all can see the draft whiffs.

Both Lynch and Shanny 2.0 started here fairly young, they appear to be maturing and learning from their mistakes. I think getting critical is warranted if we keep seeing the same mistakes.....
[ Edited by Dshearn on Aug 28, 2023 at 8:02 AM ]

I was basically agreeing with you...

I personally love Kyle and hope we keep him for the next decade or more, but the dude is not flawless. You can see plain as day the ego. We all can see the draft whiffs.

Both Lynch and Shanny 2.0 started here fairly young, they appear to be maturing and learning from their mistakes. I think getting critical is warranted if we keep seeing the same mistakes.....

they already fixed the mistake imo, adding Griese, who played a big role in us drafting and developing Purdy. Problem solved. They were whiffing on RBs also, yet acquired CMC, so problem solved on that front, also.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I wouldn't listen too much to a Browns front office executive. Just my take on it. Kyle is way different than what he was back with the Browns. He's changed, grown, and matured since then. Specially since being a HC of the 49ers.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

they already fixed the mistake imo, adding Griese, who played a big role in us drafting and developing Purdy. Problem solved. They were whiffing on RBs also, yet acquired CMC, so problem solved on that front, also.

Good points!

They went out year one if I recall and signed a high dollar duel threat RB McKinnon? ....blah...I cant remember...just that the dude was expensive and a pass catcher.

Dude was hurt all the time

At least on the RB front there was a plan, they wanted those hyper fast 23mph+ guys. They just sucked at finding them. Walsh had the same issue with RBs, that is how we ended up with the double fullback offense with Craig and Rathman.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Agree, same with OLine injuries - they've done a lot better since 2019, with Richburg going down and Person having to play. Again, the draft is a crapshoot lottery. Just a fraction of the players drafted equal or exceed the expectations of their draft position. Both John and Kyle have learned over the years, and just looking at the overall big picture - this is a super bowl caliber roster. That's really the bottom line.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Haha I don't hate kyle, he's a bad ass HC. I would like a better setup as far as the GM goes

Originally posted by Giedi:

I wouldn't listen too much to a Browns front office executive. Just my take on it. Kyle is way different than what he was back with the Browns. He's changed, grown, and matured since then. Specially since being a HC of the 49ers.

He was in Philly the whole time with Andy and went to ATL after the browns.

I mean, has he? Explain?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Yah I think after Pederson won the Super Bowl, he had to go with Wentz as his QB that turned out to be a disaster that he couldn't recover from. ND St. QB's are fools gold, no way would I ever think about drafting one from there for a while.

Wait so Doug had to go because of Wentz? Sooo how does that work with Kyle?

There was obvious locker room issues with Wentz and Wentz with Pederson, so in the end yah I think Wentz had a lot to do with it. After losing 21 games in three seasons you're gonna have a falling out. And I'm sure the drafting of Jalen Hurts didn't help their relationship either.

And how does what work for Kyle?? I think Shanahan is pretty straight up with his QB's, I'm sure Jimmy knew they wanted to move on from him, even the fans/media knew it.
Good points!

They went out year one if I recall and signed a high dollar duel threat RB McKinnon? ....blah...I cant remember...just that the dude was expensive and a pass catcher.

Dude was hurt all the time

At least on the RB front there was a plan, they wanted those hyper fast 23mph+ guys. They just sucked at finding them. Walsh had the same issue with RBs, that is how we ended up with the double fullback offense with Craig and Rathman.

Brian Griese, the guy who almost didn't come back this year? Come on. Giving entirely too much credit for a first yr QB coach, with zero experience at that job. They lucked into Brock, & as far as development goes he hardly practiced in TC/during the season. Brock himself is the reason he got that gig…more than anything else.

Spending more than anyone else to get CMC, imo has little to do with evaluating the position. He could have taken him way back in the draft, but took Solly.

IMO Kyle should be the coach…not the coach and main decision maker with personnel.
There was obvious locker room issues with Wentz and Wentz with Pederson, so in the end yah I think Wentz had a lot to do with it. After losing 21 games in three seasons you're gonna have a falling out. And I'm sure the drafting of Jalen Hurts didn't help their relationship either.

And how does what work for Kyle?? I think Shanahan is pretty straight up with his QB's, I'm sure Jimmy knew they wanted to move on from him, even the fans/media knew it.

They won a SB and went to the playoffs the next two yrs. That last season they had more injuries than just about any team in the NFL. So he gets canned lol?

I mean clearly Philly was out on Wentz too. So why would they be tied together? That team & city loved Peterson.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They won a SB and went to the playoffs the next two yrs. That last season they had more injuries than just about any team in the NFL. So he gets canned lol?

I mean clearly Philly was out on Wentz too. So why would they be tied together? That team & city loved Peterson.

I mean it's no secret what went on in Philly with Pederson and Wentz. They went to the plays the next two seasons but were barely getting in and weren't doing much when they got there. Shoot, Shanahan has been to 1 Super Bowl and 2 NFC Championships in three of the last four seasons and people are talking about putting him on the hotseat.
Share 49ersWebzone