Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Mooch, Harbaugh come to mind on the 49ers...

Good Coaching does not grow on trees, and great coaching is rare.

Was it Bill Parcells that got fired from the jets? Lol...you are the JETS....you cant replace Bill Parcells...I think they went into like a 30 year slump afterwards.

One of the talking heads said something recently...like how many teams now copy Shanny's offense....dude has made a mark on the NFL. That is rare.

There are now 19 teams rostering FBs, it was not that long ago that FBs were almost extinct in the NFL.

I meant currently coaching in the NFL. I think kyle is the longest tenured HC who hasn't won a SB. I mean Marvin Lewis coached Cinci for like 16 yrs and never made it close lol.

oh this isn't a "fire Shanny" post from me. I've posted a ton of pro-kyle things in here. I'm not saying he needs to go. I'm saying he's been given quite the leash and overall has been great…minus figuring out the most important position. If Brock turns into the one. Then sweet. If he doesn't, then at some point something has to give (possibly GM change who has more say). I LOVE kyle the coach, I kinda think having him take a step back with the evaluation/final decision stuff, could help everyone. Just my opinion.

joe banner said this about Kyle a week or so before the trade (he's worked with kyle) said he can be super emotional and shortsighted. I mean, I feel like that's all played out right in front of us.

I wouldn't listen too much to a Browns front office executive. Just my take on it. Kyle is way different than what he was back with the Browns. He's changed, grown, and matured since then. Specially since being a HC of the 49ers.

He was in Philly the whole time with Andy and went to ATL after the browns.

I mean, has he? Explain?

Well for one thing, he's looking at more non-film stuff. Prior to Pettis he was a big film junkie, and I"m sure he stll is, but he's also learned about having players with a dog inside of them, instead of a cat inside of them like Pettis. After the Pettis pick, his Wr's are all beasts. That's one dimension I can point to where he's grown.

As for picking QB's, he didn't have much experience drafting high end QB's. When he got RGIII and Kirk Cousins, I think his dad was HC. When he got those other QB's, he was OC - (for example) Matt Ryan was already on the Atlanta team prior to Kyle taking over the Atlanta OC duties. He's a young coach and still learning. Kyle's never been a QB in college or the pros, so Brian Griese does help him with QB development the way Scangarello (who was never a college or pro player, as far as I can tell) could not help develop QB's with either.

As for Trey specifically, Kyle basically took a swing and missed. Trey is going to be a good QB. Kyle wanted him to stay with the 49ers a la Steve Young -- but Trey's not experienced a bad organizations before like Steve did with the USFL and Tampa Bay. So I can't fault Trey for leaving for *supposedly* greener pastures. Oh well, he'll hopefuly get the reps he needs to develop with Dallas and have a much more healthy and productive career there than here.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Coaches have been fired for less than what?
Pederson missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and went 4-12 the year he got canned. He only had one season with 10+ wins.

How exactly is Kyle taking the team to the playoffs two years straight MORE fireable than Pederson's performance?

Oh, you must be talking about firing him over Trey Lance not working out.

Doug Pederson has only missed the playoffs once in his last 5 years as a head coach. This might be a helpful for you in the future: https://www.pro-football-reference.com

Didn't realize he made the playoffs in those 9 win seasons.

My bad, still can't fathom how he did less to deserve to be fired than Kyle.
He missed the playoffs three straight years, after pnly making them once and had a 4 win season to finish his tenure.

Didn't you say people have been fired for less than what Kyle has done and used Pederson as an example.

One guy WON a SB the other hasn't. Period. I a swear I remember him going to the playoffs 3 straight yrs in Philly (only yr he hasn't been to the playoffs was his first yr in Philly).

There hasn't been a HC fired within 3 yrs of winning a SB ever. Seifert "retired" other than that who else?

One had a four win season and the team was trending down and got fired, the other is coming off back to back winning seasons and is trending up with a FQB and a top ranked team.

What has Kyle done to deserve to be fired more than Pederson?
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Aug 28, 2023 at 9:16 AM ]
Well for one thing, he's looking at more non-film stuff. Prior to Pettis he was a big film junkie, and I"m sure he stll is, but he's also learned about having players with a dog inside of them, instead of a cat inside of them like Pettis. After the Pettis pick, his Wr's are all beasts. That's one dimension I can point to where he's grown.

As for picking QB's, he didn't have much experience drafting high end QB's. When he got RGIII and Kirk Cousins, I think his dad was HC. When he got those other QB's, he was OC - (for example) Matt Ryan was already on the Atlanta team prior to Kyle taking over the Atlanta OC duties. He's a young coach and still learning. Kyle's never been a QB in college or the pros, so Brian Griese does help him with QB development the way Scangarello (who was never a college or pro player, as far as I can tell) could not help develop QB's with either.

As for Trey specifically, Kyle basically took a swing and missed. Trey is going to be a good QB. Kyle wanted him to stay with the 49ers a la Steve Young -- but Trey's not experienced a bad organizations before like Steve did with the USFL and Tampa Bay. So I can't fault Trey for leaving for *supposedly* greener pastures. Oh well, he'll hopefuly get the reps he needs to develop with Dallas and have a much more healthy and productive career there than here.

I disagree a little that he's grown at the WR position. Pettis wasn't the norm for him. It was one pick. Go look at his past WRs. Julio, Andre Johnson, Pierre garçon, Mohamed Sanu, Josh Gordon etc. Those are not cat lovers who listen to Coldplay lol.

As far as the QB position, it's not just lance. It's been the WHOLE process. Passing on generational talent like Mahomes/Allen/Watson all because you want Kirk? Making Jimmy the highest paid player after 5 games. Passing on the GOAT because of Jimmy etc.

Then he goes into a draft half knowing who to take when they make the move? He passes on legit one of the highest recruited college prospects ever (fields) in favor of a super young/raw prospect that he KNEW needed to play and would take time.

banner isn't wrong. Kyle is emotional and short-sighted. Like damn near every HC. that s**t has unfolded in front of us time and time at the QB position.

That's why he needs a GM that can at the very least be his equal. There's a reason why kyle hired John, and wasn't for his vast experience building a roster. It was his ability to talk to the media and deal with the ups and downs as the buffer man. He's good at talking. Kyle hates that s**t.

Kyle is a top 5 HC, his play calling is elite level. I wish we had a GM that would manage more of that roster building stuff and of course coexisting with Kyle.
One had a four win season and the team was trending down and got fired, the other is coming off back to back winning seasons and is trending up with a FQB and a top ranked team.

What has Kyle done to deserve to be fired more than Pederson?

so you're telling me if Kyle won the SB in 2019 then went to the playoffs in 2020 and 2021 but had one of the most injured teams in football that couldn't compete by the end of the year (like we had in 2020) he should have been fired? Good to know.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 28, 2023 at 9:27 AM ]

I disagree a little that he's grown at the WR position. Pettis wasn't the norm for him. It was one pick. Go look at his past WRs. Julio, Andre Johnson, Pierre garçon, Mohamed Sanu, Josh Gordon etc. Those are not cat lovers who listen to Coldplay lol.

As far as the QB position, it's not just lance. It's been the WHOLE process. Passing on generational talent like Mahomes/Allen/Watson all because you want Kirk? Making Jimmy the highest paid player after 5 games. Passing on the GOAT because of Jimmy etc.

Then he goes into a draft half knowing who to take when they make the move? He passes on legit one of the highest recruited college prospects ever (fields) in favor of a super young/raw prospect that he KNEW needed to play and would take time.

banner isn't wrong. Kyle is emotional and short-sighted. Like damn near every HC. that s**t has unfolded in front of us time and time at the QB position.

That's why he needs a GM that can at the very least be his equal. There's a reason why kyle hired John, and wasn't for his vast experience building a roster. It was his ability to talk to the media and deal with the ups and downs as the buffer man. He's good at talking. Kyle hates that s**t.

Kyle is a top 5 HC, his play calling is elite level. I wish we had a GM that would manage more of that roster building stuff and of course coexisting with Kyle.

Trubisky was the consensus top rated QB coming out in the year of Mahomes and Watson, which proves that the draft is just a crap shoot. Allen is irrelevant to this discussion. Watson has not proven to be generational. In retrospect, Kyle may have won a couple SBs with Cousins instead of Jimmy. But Jimmy had a helluva first 6 games here and was worth developing. This judging in hindsight is so f**king annoying. Coulda had this guy, coulda had that guy. b******t. What about Purdy then? If Purdy continues to play like a top 5 QB, then are we going to start singing Kyle's praises then too? I doubt it. More likely, it's going to be some guys on our staff found Purdy and Kyle got lucky, because context only applies when it suits ones argument.
Originally posted by Chance:
Trubisky was the consensus top rated QB coming out in the year of Mahomes and Watson, which proves that the draft is just a crap shoot. Allen is irrelevant to this discussion. Watson has not proven to be generational. In retrospect, Kyle may have won a couple SBs with Cousins instead of Jimmy. But Jimmy had a helluva first 6 games here and was worth developing. This judging in hindsight is so f**king annoying. Coulda had this guy, coulda had that guy. b******t. What about Purdy then? If Purdy continues to play like a top 5 QB, then are we going to start singing Kyle's praises then too? I doubt it. More likely, it's going to be some guys on our staff found Purdy and Kyle got lucky, because context only applies when it suits ones argument.

Why is Allen irrelevant? Go back and look at what could have been

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/schefter-tells-wild-story-of-how-qb-allen-could-have-been-a-49er/1128770/?amp=1

Yeah kyle said he liked Mitch, turns out that was a horrible evaluation on his part (the GM who moved up to draft him got fired)….SAME for not even LOOKING at Mahomes or Watson, kyle again being short-sighted. Not wanting to develop a young QB.

Watson prior to his hand job fetish was one of the best youth QBs in the league. That was on a trash team with another HC who had too much power as a roster builder.

how about tagging Jimmy instead of giving him the largest contract in NFL history at that time? It was 5 games dude.

Only way you get better is looking at what to did WRONG, learning from it and not repeating it. Why do you think coaches and GMs get fired? Because of s**t they've already done.

again this isn't me s**tting on kyle the HC. He's a rockstar there…It's s**tting on the system he set up where he has no one around him that's his equal or can tell him no. Lynch wasn't some roster builder, he literally had no experience working in a FO at any level. Zero. Even he said as the GM, I defer to kyle when it comes to QB, what? s**t he even said kyle maybe we should checkout this Mahomes guy when he went to his pro-day.

as far as Brock goes, only person that should be patting themselves on the back, is Brock. Kyle said he reminded him of Nick Mullens lol. If they loved him so much, they wouldn't have taken a DT with a torn ACL or a IOL from Fordham. I really hope it works out and he's the next elite guy. I feel like this is how we will land a top tier QB. Luck lol

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/schefter-tells-wild-story-of-how-qb-allen-could-have-been-a-49er/1128770/?amp=1

Yeah kyle said he liked Mitch, turns out that was a horrible evaluation on his part (the GM who moved up to draft him got fired)….SAME for not even LOOKING at Mahomes or Watson, kyle again being short-sighted. Not wanting to develop a young QB.

Watson prior to his hand job fetish was one of the best youth QBs in the league. That was on a trash team with another HC who had too much power as a roster builder.

how about tagging Jimmy instead of giving him the largest contract in NFL history at that time? It was 5 games dude.

Only way you get better is looking at what to did WRONG, learning from it and not repeating it. Why do you think coaches and GMs get fired? Because of s**t they've already done.

again this isn't me s**tting on kyle the HC. He's a rockstar there…It's s**tting on the system he set up where he has no one around him that's his equal or can tell him no. Lynch wasn't some roster builder, he literally had no experience working in a FO at any level. Zero. Even he said as the GM, I defer to kyle when it comes to QB, what? s**t he even said kyle maybe we should checkout this Mahomes guy when he went to his pro-day.

as far as Brock goes, only person that should be patting themselves on the back, is Brock. Kyle said he reminded him of Nick Mullens lol. If they loved him so much, they wouldn't have taken a DT with a torn ACL or a IOL from Fordham. I really hope it works out and he's the next elite guy. I feel like this is how we will land a top tier QB. Luck lol

Luck is always involved when landing a top tier guy, my guy. That's the point.

Your posts are almost plucked from a time machine, some time after the Lance pick, and pre Purdy draft. Yeah, we whiffed on TL, but the problem is solved. We don't have to change our org structure, we already did. We already got Griese in the bldg, if you listen to JL from like 2 days ago, Griese is the first person he named, as responsible for Brock. So KS is quick to learn, quick to fix a mistake, and always adds elite ppl to the staff, ppl that help this squad get FQB level talent at the end of the draft, that's impressive. You can't hit 100% of your draft picks, but we are doing great from where I sit.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He has that GM that Kyle respects - his name is Mike Shanahan. One reason that the roster is packed with stars that came from the lower rounds in the draft is because that front office listens to Mike Shanahan, and so does Kyle. It's as close to the Walsh/McVay relationship as we can get. Now, Mike's retired - in name only - in my view. He's still watching tape and the whole entire organization was rejiggered to make sure Mike has tape of *evertthing* going on in practice, games, scouting team meetings, etc...

Keep in mind, after Trey was drafted, Kyle pretty much got rid of his entire offensive staff. Who helped rebuild that offensive staff? Mike Shanahan, with Brian comming in to help with the QB coaching duties. You know what a key part of a GM's duty is? It's to hire the coaches to coach the team - John didn't do that - Mike did.

Don't get me wrong, Adam Peters, and John Lynch do a lot of the grunt work and contract work that a GM does. But Mike's a big part of John's and Adam's GM-ship. So, to say Kyle needs a GM he respects - he already has that.

As for the QB position, they simply swung and missed with Trey. It happens. In that study DsHern cited previously, there were 34 QB's taken between the 2000 and 2015 seasons, only 3 made the probowl multiple times. The draft is a lottery and a crapshoot with the odds stacked against the GM and HC. And the other reason the 49ers organization could let Trey go is because of the *luck* in finding a potential franchise level QB in Purdy. The Cap is a big limiter in keeping and hording talent. I'm sure the 49ers would have found a way to pay for Lance's 5th year option if there was no cap. But there is a cap and they have to load up the brinks truck for Bosa. Trey's cap space is going to be really valuable in signing Bosa for the future. I was hoping Trey would stay with the 49ers, Kyle also, but it was Treys call and he called it unfortunately for the 49ers.

Luck is always involved when landing a top tier guy, my guy. That's the point.

For sure…it's usually NOT the last pick in the draft though lol.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Your posts are almost plucked from a time machine, some time after the Lance pick, and pre Purdy draft. Yeah, we whiffed on TL, but the problem is solved. We don't have to change our org structure, we already did. We already got Griese in the bldg, if you listen to JL from like 2 days ago, Griese is the first person he named, as responsible for Brock. So KS is quick to learn, quick to fix a mistake, and always adds elite ppl to the staff, ppl that help this squad get FQB level talent at the end of the draft, that's impressive. You can't hit 100% of your draft picks, but we are doing great from where I sit.

You have no idea if anything is solved. So stop saying that s**t. what you should be saying is I hope it's solved.

What I brought up is s**t that's happened though out this whole regime time here from day one to now.

You have no idea if anything is solved. So stop saying that s**t. what you should be saying is I hope it's solved.

What I brought up is s**t that's happened though out this whole regime time here from day one to now.

No it's solved man, we have BP and CMC. That's a pretty insane pivot, from Trey Lance and Trey Sermon. I'll take it.

He has that GM that Kyle respects - his name is Mike Shanahan. One reason that the roster is packed with stars that came from the lower rounds in the draft is because that front office listens to Mike Shanahan, and so does Kyle. It's as close to the Walsh/McVay relationship as we can get. Now, Mike's retired - in name only - in my view. He's still watching tape and the whole entire organization was rejiggered to make sure Mike has tape of *evertthing* going on in practice, games, scouting team meetings, etc...

Keep in mind, after Trey was drafted, Kyle pretty much got rid of his entire offensive staff. Who helped rebuild that offensive staff? Mike Shanahan, with Brian comming in to help with the QB coaching duties. You know what a key part of a GM's duty is? It's to hire the coaches to coach the team - John didn't do that - Mike did.

Don't get me wrong, Adam Peters, and John Lynch do a lot of the grunt work and contract work that a GM does. But Mike's a big part of John's and Adam's GM-ship. So, to say Kyle needs a GM he respects - he already has that.

As for the QB position, they simply swung and missed with Trey. It happens. In that study DsHern cited previously, there were 34 QB's taken between the 2000 and 2015 seasons, only 3 made the probowl multiple times. The draft is a lottery and a crapshoot with the odds stacked against the GM and HC. And the other reason the 49ers organization could let Trey go is because of the *luck* in finding a potential franchise level QB in Purdy. The Cap is a big limiter in keeping and hording talent. I'm sure the 49ers would have found a way to pay for Lance's 5th year option if there was no cap. But there is a cap and they have to load up the brinks truck for Bosa. Trey's cap space is going to be really valuable in signing Bosa for the future. I was hoping Trey would stay with the 49ers, Kyle also, but it was Treys call and he called it unfortunately for the 49ers.

I might be wrong, but I doubt Mike Shanahan is that involved. He might watch the team training, but I doubt he spent that much time doing scout work.

No it's solved man, we have BP and CMC. That's a pretty insane pivot, from Trey Lance and Trey Sermon. I'll take it.

It's solved because the team lucked out with Purdy? I like the optimism, how ever misplaced. Let's see what happens at pick 32 this year before jumping to that conclusion. Let's see the O line finally prioritized.
Share 49ersWebzone