There are 455 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm not THAT upset about the Trey Lance trade, but the Brick After Brick Brothers decision has been nothing but COMEDY...

NO to Brady
NO to Stafford

Trading 2 extra first rounders for Lance then giving up on the kid basically after 1 year. These are just the basic examples of why both must go..

Those are mistakes they made, in some form or fashion, to be sure. But you evaluate based on the totality of the job they've done and whether or not you can realistically improve if you let them go.

I've said this a few times, but this is the Golden Age of the York ownership era. There is no real basis to fire Kyle other than he hasn't closed the deal on a SB win. That could happen here in the immediate future. It's not easy.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 28, 2023 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
SO, u don't think he should go ?

I know this much, he BEST win, and win with the QBs we have now..

Nobody with a functional brain thinks he should go.

There's two groups who even flirt with the idea:
- The first acts as if this is the DeBartolo Niners and it's the 1980-90's still when it was an uncapped league and the franchise was ahead of the curve (mainly with a cutting edge offense) and one of the biggest spenders. Super Bowl wins are basically an entitlement to this group.
- People who are upset about Trey Lance.

I'm not THAT upset about the Trey Lance trade, but the Brick After Brick Brothers decision has been nothing but COMEDY...

NO to Brady
NO to Stafford

Trading 2 extra first rounders for Lance then giving up on the kid basically after 1 year. These are just the basic examples of why both must go..
If we were a last place team and not close to being competitive, then you might have a point. But we're not and you don't

To dismantle something when it's not broken, is not going to fix anything
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
There haven't been coaches fired for less though. He is coming off a 13 win season.

I just showed you one who won a SB and went to multiple playoffs in 5 yrs. Canned. Schottenheimer went 14-2 the yr he got fired. Dugey got fired after going 30-18 his last 3 yrs in TB. Made the playoffs all 3 yrs and 4 of the 6 seasons, with only one losing season (year 1).

ehhh. missing a lot of context for the real reasons Pederson and Schotty were fired.

• Kyle doesnt have to worry about losing a power struggle to his GM about which players to play because he has final say in everything.
  • Jed doesnt meddle like Dean Spanos does. Marty couldn't wait to be shown the door.
Originally posted by boast:
ehhh. missing a lot of context for the real reasons Pederson and Schotty were fired.

• Kyle doesnt have to worry about losing a power struggle to his GM about which players to play because he has final say in everything.
  • Jed doesnt meddle like Dean Spanos does. Marty couldn't wait to be shown the door.

They fired Schottenheimer cuz he couldn't win in the playoffs, and hired Norv Turner, a guy who can't win in the regular season. It was an all time classic move.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
SO, u don't think he should go ?

I know this much, he BEST win, and win with the QBs we have now..

Nobody with a functional brain thinks he should go.

There's two groups who even flirt with the idea:
- The first acts as if this is the DeBartolo Niners and it's the 1980-90's still when it was an uncapped league and the franchise was ahead of the curve (mainly with a cutting edge offense) and one of the biggest spenders. Super Bowl wins are basically an entitlement to this group.
- People who are upset about Trey Lance.

NO to Brady
NO to Stafford

If we were a last place team and not close to being competitive, then you might have a point. But we're not and you don't

To dismantle something when it's not broken, is not going to fix anything

I BELIEVE you got things way the opposite... KNOWING that we are a contending team, with Kyle not ALL IN on Grappy, then he shoulda pulled the trigger on Brady and/or Stafford..

You DON'T trade for Brady or Stafford had our team was in a rebuilding mode..

WOULD it be so terrible if Kyle used his BEST YOUNG MIND IN FOOTBALL and made Trey the 2nd stringer??

I believe last year's injuries should have thought him a lesson, who does he now have in mind to sign as a 3rd stringer??
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

They fired Schottenheimer cuz he couldn't win in the playoffs, and hired Norv Turner, a guy who can't win in the regular season. It was an all time classic move.

NORV, just like Kyle was always attractive because of his ability to design play... and just like Kyle, he's nothing more than a very very good OC..
NORV, just like Kyle was always attractive because of his ability to design play... and just like Kyle, he's nothing more than a very very good OC..

Unlike Norv (at least the Chargers version), Kyle took over a bottom level roster and has turned them into a perennial Super Bowl contender.

Norv took over arguably the most well rounded roster in the NFL at the time and mostly underachieved over his tenure, though they did have two AFC title appearances in his first 3 years before dropping off into .500 oblivion.

Unlike Norv (at least the Chargers version), Kyle took over a bottom level roster and has turned them into a perennial Super Bowl contender.

Norv took over arguably the most well rounded roster in the NFL at the time and mostly underachieved over his tenure, though they did have two AFC title appearances in his first 3 years before dropping off into .500 oblivion.

It took some pretty interesting maneuvering to turn a draft of LaDainian Tomlinson round 1, Drew Brees round 2, into zero SB appearances.
It took some pretty interesting maneuvering to turn a draft of LaDainian Tomlinson round 1, Drew Brees round 2, into zero SB appearances.

That's the Spanos ownership for you.

Likely still get there and get a ring if Marlon McCree holds onto the football in the 06 divisional round.

... AND tell me how Kyle did in his Super Bowl experiences and NFCCG ??

Schotty got fired by Spanos for wanting to hire his brother as DC and other coaching decisions. Schotty wouldnt budge from his choices.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2007/02/13/Franchises/Schottenheimer-Fired-After-Disagreement-Over-Coordinators

That's the Spanos ownership for you.

Likely still get there and get a ring if Marlon McCree holds onto the football in the 06 divisional round.

.. Likely would have gotten our 6th ring had #31 was used more often against KC..
... AND tell me how Kyle did in his Super Bowl experiences and NFCCG ??

I covered this in earlier posts. We're not entitled to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowl or bust is an outdated cliche that dates back to an era of football 30 years past and an ownership and league that doesn't exist anymore.

You win SB's by contending for them. Kyle hasn't been solely responsible for the failure to secure a title and is arguably the primary reason we're in position to win one.
I covered this in earlier posts. We're not entitled to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowl or bust is an outdated cliche that dates back to an era of football 30 years past and an ownership and league that doesn't exist anymore.

You win SB's by contending for them. Kyle hasn't been solely responsible for the failure to secure a title and is arguably the primary reason we're in position to win one.

My one KS critique is as good as he is with the playsheet, he can call games tight with his decision making. Like the Juice up the gut, then punt in plus territory sequence in the NFCCG. We had a bot in real time telling us, that KS was lowering our win odds as it was happening. He should lean more into the analytics imo. Especially with this talent we have now. Rather see CMC, BA, Kittle out there on 4th down than Moody, or Wish. Plus territory punts should be abolished imo. Punts are voluntary turnovers.
My one KS critique is as good as he is with the playsheet, he can call games tight with his decision making. Like the Juice up the gut, then punt in plus territory sequence in the NFCCG. We had a bot in real time telling us, that KS was lowering our win odds as it was happening. He should lean more into the analytics imo. Especially with this talent we have now. Rather see CMC, BA, Kittle out there on 4th down than Moody, or Wish. Plus territory punts should be abolished imo. Punts are voluntary turnovers.

Agree he's too conservative at times, especially in 4th and short situations across the 50.

Let's see if that changes with a QB he trusts and potentially a substandard kicking game. I can't necessarily blame him for not taking chances with Jim back there.
Share 49ersWebzone