49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
In retrospect, losing Stafford to the Rams got Kyle all emo, so went big in the draft for younger big arm talent in Lance that had a bit of taste in a prostyle offense albeit inexperienced. But the timing was all wrong. There's no way a young prospect can drive a SB within 1-2 years of development. The expectation was a bit unrealistic. And everything had to go almost perfect, which it was not. Injuries to Lance killed it. Thank goodness the football god smiles upon Kyle's lame attempt, and sent him the Real Deal Brock Purdy. Blew his wad with 3 first round picks, and soothed by getting Brock last pick of the draft.

So now we're right on track since Brock came in last year.

Brock is unreal as a rookie. To me he's worth 3 first round picks. Not the chump change ones either (two of those three first rounders for Trey) were somewhere in the 29th pick. As rookie stats go - that's elite level performance for a rookie. 7th round is the new 5ht round - Brayden Willis, Ronnie Bell, and Jalen Graham all made the team. Who knows if they are going to be let go next year or be the next gold jacket guy. We shall see.

With regards to QB assessment - Jimmy was a nobody in 2017, and here comes Kyle getting him for a 2nd rounder. He takes us to the super bowl and multiple NFC championships. To me that's first round talent there for a 2nd round pick. Brandon Allen looks like another find for Kyle. I'm confident Sam will amount to something as long as he stays and gets accustomed to Kyle's offense. Well see if he sticks around more than one year. BeatHard and Mullens are still in the NFL, so that's saying something with regards to Kyle's ability to develop QB's.

I think Kyle like most exceptional offensive minds in the game, is victim to his only coaching abilities. They tend to think they can create effective offense by teaching those 11 guys that may not be all world talent. On some level it's true. We see almost all his QBs effective playing the position. But at some point he needs to find that Guy to get over the top. Like Walsh with Montana. Belichick with Brady. McVay with Stafford.

I think he finally found one in Brock. And part of the reason he let Lance go without fuss. When he said Brock is the real deal, to me it means Brock didn't luck into those wins last year, or that he was carried by the team. Brock earned those wins, and earned Kyle's trust, be that guy for him this year and hopefully future years.

Agree 💯%, that Brock was a big part of the reason for letting Trey Go. Zero interceptions in the playoffs as a rookie. eight straight wins. mostly against playoff caliber teams. The team dominated some of these playoff teams with Purdy as QB. Won in Seattle, on Seattle Turf without practicing and broken ribs! Beat Tom Brady as a rookie, no rookie has done that - *Ever!*

I swear, if Kyle doesn't invest a gobbsmakin' ton of draft capital on the offensive line next year, I'll... heck, I don't know what I'd do but I'll let Kyle and company know somehow - that would be the stupidest most idiotic move in the history of NFL football. They have to protect Brock, or Kyle deserves to be fired if Brock gets seriously injured again.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
My one KS critique is as good as he is with the playsheet, he can call games tight with his decision making. Like the Juice up the gut, then punt in plus territory sequence in the NFCCG. We had a bot in real time telling us, that KS was lowering our win odds as it was happening. He should lean more into the analytics imo. Especially with this talent we have now. Rather see CMC, BA, Kittle out there on 4th down than Moody, or Wish. Plus territory punts should be abolished imo. Punts are voluntary turnovers.

Agree he's too conservative at times, especially in 4th and short situations across the 50.

Let's see if that changes with a QB he trusts and potentially a substandard kicking game. I can't necessarily blame him for not taking chances with Jim back there.

With Jimmy, we gone over all the missed plays.

Kyle trusts all his QBs, but do the QBs trust themselves ?

NYAHAHAHAHAH..... Kyle trusts all his QBs?

He gave up the farm for Lance and gave up on Lance after 4 games ??
When i say trust, i meant calling plays to see if the QB can execute (hence, the missed plays comment)

If the QB doesn't execute, thats more on the QB not trusting themselves.

so WHY do you think Aaron often changes McCarthy's play calling?

.. and not sure how long you've been a 49er fan, but if you have been there around the 80s, I'd like to know if you'd blame Joe Montana on the 87 Vikings upset..
What does Aaron, McCarthy, Montana in 87 has to do with Kyle now ?

This is about Trust and the QBs trusting themselves. We don't have time to wait on a QB that needs more than 3 yrs to throw the ball to open players

if that's the case, they why didn't he trade for Brady or Stafford... wasn't it a better decision to give up the same farm on somone named Brady or Stafford?

.. I mean since he wanted to win asap?
But we didn't give up the farm, taking on those guys would have been bad moves also and probably leave us in a worse position today

Uve gots to be joking.. . RIGHT??

Brady would have cost us what?

Stafford's cost would have been as bad as Trey's, but we woulda won the Super Bowl w/him, or with Tom even.

the way I see it, Shanny did not want those QBs because both would have bigger than him and the QBs would have also gotten the credit instead of him..

there is no valid reason as to why he gave up what he gave up for Trey but did not want to give that up for Stafford..
i'm joking, you pretending all these guarantees would have happened. stay in the real world bud. lets take a look

Brady, He was looking real bad coming off that 2019 season. Aren't you blaming Kyle for letting Lance go, but you would be ok letting Jimmy go off a Superbowl run. You don't make sense with that logic. Also how can you fit Jimmy's Guaranteed dead cap 30 mill and sign Brady for 30 mil ? no way would any sane person do that combo

Stafford, Why don't you remember Stafford had his limitations also. While Mcvay got lucky, not one person was thinking Stafford is a Superbowl winning QB. How are the rams and stafford doing now ?

Kyle not wanting the QB to get credit is craziest thing to even think of lol, QB has been the face of every franchise good or bad

BRADY WAS LOOKING BAD COMING OFF THE 2019 SEASON.. and all he did was played so badly and won a Super Bowl for Tampa Bay.. who cares about the ProBowl and the other accolades.

BRADY WAS LOOKING BAD COMING OFF THE 2019 SEASON .. and Kyle rather stayed w/a QB like Grappy that he was not all in..

STAFFORD HAD HIS LIMITATIONS ... and his limited Shanny and to another 2nd place in the NFC even after being up 10 points..

STAFFORD HAD HIS LIMITATIONS... that on 3rd and 4 (or so), his limited ability could not be stopped by Shanny and his D on getting the ball to his most obvious target in Kupp.

.. WHILE Shanny is so great and unlimited that he stopped using his best asset (running game) against KC in the Super Bowl or calling 44's # on 4th and 2 instead of getting the ball to his best player in 19..
My one KS critique is as good as he is with the playsheet, he can call games tight with his decision making. Like the Juice up the gut, then punt in plus territory sequence in the NFCCG. We had a bot in real time telling us, that KS was lowering our win odds as it was happening. He should lean more into the analytics imo. Especially with this talent we have now. Rather see CMC, BA, Kittle out there on 4th down than Moody, or Wish. Plus territory punts should be abolished imo. Punts are voluntary turnovers.

Agree he's too conservative at times, especially in 4th and short situations across the 50.

Let's see if that changes with a QB he trusts and potentially a substandard kicking game. I can't necessarily blame him for not taking chances with Jim back there.

When i say trust, i meant calling plays to see if the QB can execute (hence, the missed plays comment)

.. and not sure how long you've been a 49er fan, but if you have been there around the 80s, I'd like to know if you'd blame Joe Montana on the 87 Vikings upset..

This is about Trust and the QBs trusting themselves. We don't have time to wait on a QB that needs more than 3 yrs to throw the ball to open players

if that's the case, they why didn't he trade for Brady or Stafford... wasn't it a better decision to give up the same farm on somone named Brady or Stafford?

But we didn't give up the farm, taking on those guys would have been bad moves also and probably leave us in a worse position today

Stafford's cost would have been as bad as Trey's, but we woulda won the Super Bowl w/him, or with Tom even.

the way I see it, Shanny did not want those QBs because both would have bigger than him and the QBs would have also gotten the credit instead of him..

there is no valid reason as to why he gave up what he gave up for Trey but did not want to give that up for Stafford..
i'm joking, you pretending all these guarantees would have happened. stay in the real world bud. lets take a look

Brady, He was looking real bad coming off that 2019 season. Aren't you blaming Kyle for letting Lance go, but you would be ok letting Jimmy go off a Superbowl run. You don't make sense with that logic. Also how can you fit Jimmy's Guaranteed dead cap 30 mill and sign Brady for 30 mil ? no way would any sane person do that combo

Stafford, Why don't you remember Stafford had his limitations also. While Mcvay got lucky, not one person was thinking Stafford is a Superbowl winning QB. How are the rams and stafford doing now ?

Kyle not wanting the QB to get credit is craziest thing to even think of lol, QB has been the face of every franchise good or bad

BRADY WAS LOOKING BAD COMING OFF THE 2019 SEASON.. and all he did was played so badly and won a Super Bowl for Tampa Bay.. who cares about the ProBowl and the other accolades.

BRADY WAS LOOKING BAD COMING OFF THE 2019 SEASON .. and Kyle rather stayed w/a QB like Grappy that he was not all in..

STAFFORD HAD HIS LIMITATIONS ... and his limited Shanny and to another 2nd place in the NFC even after being up 10 points..

STAFFORD HAD HIS LIMITATIONS... that on 3rd and 4 (or so), his limited ability could not be stopped by Shanny and his D on getting the ball to his most obvious target in Kupp.

.. WHILE Shanny is so great and unlimited that he stopped using his best asset (running game) against KC in the Super Bowl or calling 44's # on 4th and 2 instead of getting the ball to his best player in 19..
Yes Brady played so badly the patriots didn't want him nor did a lot of other teams

yes Brady played so badly Jimmy was the guy everyone was on board with, even Kyle after the 2019 season

yes a limited stafford only reason he made it to the SB because he played a even more limited qb in jimmy

since you don't remember how we got into 3rd longs since the run was stuffed, would you still run on 3rd and long after it being able to run the plays prior?

you seem to never listen to the answers anyone's given and just keep asking questions. You can learn something if you stop answering with untrue questions

Yes Brady played so badly the patriots didn't want him nor did a lot of other teams

yes Brady played so badly Jimmy was the guy everyone was on board with, even Kyle after the 2019 season

yes a limited stafford only reason he made it to the SB because he played a even more limited qb in jimmy

since you don't remember how we got into 3rd longs since the run was stuffed, would you still run on 3rd and long after it being able to run the plays prior?

you seem to never listen to the answers anyone's given and just keep asking questions. You can learn something if you stop answering with untrue questions

I would also add that both Deebo and TW were banged up in the championship game along with Jimmy.
The team passed on Mahomes for Soloman Thomas I just think we got in that position again and the org put the pressure on to pick our next qb since that was our last chance at grabbing one with a top pick. Shanny liked Lance better than Fields, Jones.

Fast forward a year later and in typical Shanny fashion he ends up liking a low round qb who is more polished and runs his system better.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The team passed on Mahomes for Soloman Thomas I just think we got in that position again and the org put the pressure on to pick our next qb since that was our last chance at grabbing one with a top pick. Shanny liked Lance better than Fields, Jones.

Fast forward a year later and in typical Shanny fashion he ends up liking a low round qb who is more polished and runs his system better.

Yup, we're about to find out how it works out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Yup, we're about to find out how it works out.

It should work out fine if past history is an indicator of future success.
We are in year 7 with shanny. All of our eggs are in the purdy basket. If purdy for some reason doesn't work out we are left with an aging team with multiple draft busts and no championships to show for it.

This is a big year for Shanahan.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
We are in year 7 with shanny. All of our eggs are in the purdy basket. If purdy for some reason doesn't work out we are left with an aging team with multiple draft busts and no championships to show for it.

if BP doesn't work out we got the best thrower known to man. KS has set this thing up well.
So do we put the all time bad evaluation of Lance on KS or Lynch? It's got to be on one of them.
leaves me with zero confidence in them stocking the position moving forward. I still don't understand what they saw in him and wonder if they really did their homework.

How many teams don't have all of their eggs in one basket at the QB position?
Originally posted by libertyforever:

How many teams don't have all of their eggs in one basket at the QB position?

True. But not many have given up on a huge franchise altering draft pick for mr irrelevant. Shanahan is all in on purdy and it's a huge gamble. I believe in purdy, and probably would have done the same. But shanny has a lot to lose.

Shanny doesnt see it that way. if Purdy stumbles, he believes he can win with Darnold. it's why he's here.

all these fans trying to put Kyle on the hot seat is hilarious.
Originally posted by boast:

Shanny doesnt see it that way. if Purdy stumbles, he believes he can win with Darnold. it's why he's here.

all these fans trying to put Kyle on the hot seat is hilarious.

Im not putting him on the hotseat. I'm acknowledging the pressure he put on himself.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 30, 2023 at 9:00 AM ]

If Purdy busts it certainly is a huge blow no denying that but one must consider why Brock Purdy is starting in the 1st place. He's a system guy. If he fails Shanny will always have a couple other guys he feels can run it. You can find Jimmy G level qb's.
Share 49ersWebzone