There are 346 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Giedi:
It's not every day that a 7th rounder QB out performs a round 1 pick 3 QB that cost the ballclub three first rounders and also outperformed a veteran QB that's played in the NFL 7+ years. It's been a really unusual QB situation since Trey was drafted, for sure, and Jimmy's salty about that because they up front (truthfully) told him that he's not going to be their QB because he can't stay healthy. That would piss anyone off, in my opinion, specially if that QB took them to multiple championships and a super bowl. Kyle, I think, is still mad at himself for picking Trey and not realizing Trey's durability was just as atrocious as Jimmy. So it came out in both interviews I think. I"m sure Joe was pissed off at Walsh for cutting him for Steve, but both eventually got over it.

what kind of alternate history is this?

Joe was never cut by Walsh

Nor did he ever get over it.

i don't blame him. i haven't either.

that trade robbed him of some added legacy imo.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It's not every day that a 7th rounder QB out performs a round 1 pick 3 QB that cost the ballclub three first rounders and also outperformed a veteran QB that's played in the NFL 7+ years. It's been a really unusual QB situation since Trey was drafted, for sure, and Jimmy's salty about that because they up front (truthfully) told him that he's not going to be their QB because he can't stay healthy. That would piss anyone off, in my opinion, specially if that QB took them to multiple championships and a super bowl. Kyle, I think, is still mad at himself for picking Trey and not realizing Trey's durability was just as atrocious as Jimmy. So it came out in both interviews I think. I"m sure Joe was pissed off at Walsh for cutting him for Steve, but both eventually got over it.

Sorry, conflated that memory with Rice.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Nor did he ever get over it.

i don't blame him. i haven't either.

that trade robbed him of some added legacy imo.

I still think they had a good shot to beat the bills had he not gotten knocked out of the AFCCG. Wasn't his best game at that point, but he was on a roll that playoffs with the comebacks . 🐐
Kyle is awesome. His responses as usual perfect in that presser. Your coach has balls of steel and could care less about the little butterflies flapping their wings out there in the press. They made Jimmy the highest paid QB in history for a while, they took a stab at Trey with some picks and it didn't work now we try again. He is 100% correct. This will eventually work out and then watch out. Hopefully that is now. The paying of Jimmy nor the picks has broke this team. They were poker chips that's all.

I really do hope after a SB win that will come eventually he doesn't decide to hang it up. It's only then will we appreciate what we have.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Aug 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Kyle is awesome. His responses as usual perfect in that presser. Your coach has balls of steel and could care less about the little butterflies flapping their wings out there in the press. They made Jimmy the highest paid QB in history for a while, they took a stab at Trey with some picks and it didn't didn't work now we try again. He is 100% correct. This will eventually work out and then watch out. Hopefully that is now. The paying of Jimmy nor the picks has broke this team. There were poker chips that's all.

I really do hope after a SB win that will come eventually he doesn't decide to hang it up. It's only then will we appreciate what we have.

Kyle retire? No way, that dude bleeds football. He said in interviews he never cared about anything other than football.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Love it when Kyle claps back at reporters

He did today?

Yeah at the end of the presser someone asked him about Jimmy G's comments and Kyle got a little snappy

he admits it's a weird situation, JG was correct, KS also correct, to move on and let's get serious about winning
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
The only 'weird' part of this entire situation is that the last pick of last years draft outplayed 2 top-5 first round picks and a guy that learned behind Brady.

Yea I'd be ticked too if some guy from the streets (had no one picked him last) came in and basically flushed all my lackluster accomplishments in a span of 8 games.

Good luck to Jimmy f**king up that Raiders offense…
Shanny finally says it.

Trey wasn't ready.
There are a ton of weird things about the way they've handled the QB position going back to 2017. Kyle never seems to have much conviction in his choices regarding QBs.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
There are a ton of weird things about the way they've handled the QB position going back to 2017. Kyle never seems to have much conviction in his choices regarding QBs.

Acquiring Jimmy G seemed like an opportunity they came across and then he played great and they paid him. Not sure Kyle was ever really in love with the guy.

Took a huge boom/bust risk with Trey and it busted and we'll see what happens with Brock. Definitely feel this is his guy more than any other he's had here.

Kyle's been held back for his tenure here, but not anymore. I'm excited to see his offense go from here on out.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Acquiring Jimmy G seemed like an opportunity they came across and then he played great and they paid him. Not sure Kyle was ever really in love with the guy.

Took a huge boom/bust risk with Trey and it busted and we'll see what happens with Brock. Definitely feel this is his guy more than any other he's had here.

Holding off on evaluating QBs in the draft because you want Cousins only to decide while 0-9 to trade a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round QB in the last year of his deal (who had only started 2 games) is weird. Only playing Jimmy that same season because CJ Beathard got hurt is weird. Making Jimmy the highest paid QB in NFL history after just 5 games is weird. Trading three first round picks to move up to #3 a month before the draft without knowing which of the QBs you're going to take yet is weird. Not to mention, the stuff about trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers the night before that draft or trying to trade for Matthew Stafford and then a month later claiming that you want to take advantage of a QB on a rookie deal. It's all weird and it goes on and on.

Any one of their QB decisions in a vacuum might seem rational, but all together, it doesn't seem like they have any real plan for the position and change their minds constantly and they have made some really weird reactionary decisions.
Holding off on evaluating QBs in the draft because you want Cousins only to decide while 0-9 to trade a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round QB in the last year of his deal (who had only started 2 games) is weird. Only playing Jimmy that same season because CJ Beathard got hurt is weird. Making Jimmy the highest paid QB in NFL history after just 5 games is weird. Trading three first round picks to move up to #3 a month before the draft without knowing which of the QBs you're going to take yet is weird. Not to mention, the stuff about trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers the night before that draft or trying to trade for Matthew Stafford and then a month later claiming that you want to take advantage of a QB on a rookie deal. It's all weird and it goes on and on.

Any one of their QB decisions in a vacuum might seem rational, but all together, it doesn't seem like they have any real plan for the position and change their minds constantly and they have made some really weird reactionary decisions.

Definitely agree with the bolded, though weird would be kind. It's just bad, lol.

I don't think waiting to play Jimmy was weird. He just got to the team pretty much. I also don't think looking into trading for an established QB is weird either. I don't put stock into them saying it's important to have a QB on a rookie deal. They're not going to tell you they don't like Jimmy and failed to trade for a veteran so the draft was the next best option.

I think their plans have been pretty clear… just some of it was real bad.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Love it when Kyle claps back at reporters

He did today?

Yeah at the end of the presser someone asked him about Jimmy G's comments and Kyle got a little snappy

he admits it's a weird situation, JG was correct, KS also correct, to move on and let's get serious about winning

Lol. That's what you took out of that?
kyle is too busy drawing up 2023 plays and schemes. leave him alone T_T
[ Edited by picklejuice on Aug 30, 2023 at 9:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone