49ers remain on losing side of Chiefs rivalry in 28-18 defeat →

There are 498 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 9moon:
... so what was his excuse for not taking Brady?

he didnt give one but let's not act like Brady wasn't coming off his worst statistical year and had elbow and foot issues in the second half of the '19 season. a lot of people thought Tom was donezo that year. plus, Jimmy had just helped guide the team to the postseason in '19.

Even I was worried about taking Brady at that time. He was at that age where any minute he could have a major dropoff of production like Peyton Manning did or potentially easily injured and completely done.

Hindsight, yes they should of definitely taken him because he had a few more years of top level play.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

he didnt give one but let's not act like Brady wasn't coming off his worst statistical year and had elbow and foot issues in the second half of the '19 season. a lot of people thought Tom was donezo that year. plus, Jimmy had just helped guide the team to the postseason in '19.

Even I was worried about taking Brady at that time. He was at that age where any minute he could have a major dropoff of production like Peyton Manning did or potentially easily injured and completely done.

Hindsight, yes they should of definitely taken him because he had a few more years of top level play.

in hindsight, absolutely.

but at the time, i dont fault Kyle for his decision.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

in hindsight, absolutely.

but at the time, i dont fault Kyle for his decision.

Agree, I underestimated how much longer Tom could play.

On another note - Kyle uses a lot of throw away plays to set up his explosives. I'm thinking with the bigger guys (Trent and Banks) they run more gap/power plays towards Trent's side and make those throw-away distraction plays a bit more productive than 2 yard gains those throw-away plays get. Hopefully more like 3+ yard gains! Then Kyle's explosive plays become even more lethal because of how effective his throw away plays are. It also protects Purdy in that defensive teams will more likely bite on the play fake and not tee off on Purdy.
Kyle's ego probably said "I don't need a legendary QB to win me a damn superbowl, dad!"
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
QUICKLY - u fully believe that AFTER 4 games, it was enough to say Kyle's seen enough ??

2 full years + a third camp/preseason in the building. That included the 4 starts you mentioned plus 8 preseason appearances and other sporadic time.

The film shows how far away he is. It's not a mystery.

... and what was his reasoning for just giving Trey the starting job in his 2nd year?

... and what was the turn out ?
he didnt give one but let's not act like Brady wasn't coming off his worst statistical year and had elbow and foot issues in the second half of the season. a lot of people thought Tom was donezo that year. plus, Jimmy had just helped guide the team to the postseason in '19.

All of this.

.. again, what was the turn out?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Kyle's ego probably said "I don't need a legendary QB to win me a damn superbowl, dad!"

THAT'S excatly IS THE ANSWER !!

Kyle wanted no part of Brady because Tom would have gotten most of the credit had we won the Super Bowl..

Kyle stayed w/a QB (Grappy) he was not all in because he thought of the idea that winning a Super Bowl w/Grappy would make him a legitimate HC who can win w/an average QB.. while at the same time, Grappy will continue to get the blame when they get close enough but not get to the Super Bowl..

This is the issue w/Kyle, he wants to win, but he wants to make sure he gets all the credit..
he didnt give one but let's not act like Brady wasn't coming off his worst statistical year and had elbow and foot issues in the second half of the season. a lot of people thought Tom was donezo that year. plus, Jimmy had just helped guide the team to the postseason in '19.

All of this.

.. again, what was the turn out?
it gave way to a motivated brady which he needed a lot of luck in the playoffs

If we signed Brady somehow, Brady doesn't have that motivation. He wanted to come here to be laid to rest
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Kyle wanted no part of Brady because Tom would have gotten most of the credit had we won the Super Bowl..

Kyle stayed w/a QB (Grappy) he was not all in because he thought of the idea that winning a Super Bowl w/Grappy would make him a legitimate HC who can win w/an average QB.. while at the same time, Grappy will continue to get the blame when they get close enough but not get to the Super Bowl..

This is the issue w/Kyle, he wants to win, but he wants to make sure he gets all the credit..

One thing I find disturbing is that training camp seems not to have affected the roster. In the end, it was this off-season's free agents acquisitions, draft picks and the best of the rest of last year's team. I suppose the coaches were analyzing practices, but you can't tell from the final roster.

He wanted no part of Brady because Brady looked bad in his last season in New England - a 40 year + QB who looked like he was done.

All this other narrative is unfounded rubbish.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
One thing I find disturbing is that training camp seems not to have affected the roster. In the end, it was this off-season's free agents acquisitions, draft picks and the best of the rest of last year's team. I suppose the coaches were analyzing practices, but you can't tell from the final roster.

This is pretty normal when you have a SB caliber roster

There are not many roster spots in flux
Originally posted by KiwiM3:

He wanted no part of Brady because Brady looked bad in his last season in New England - a 40 year + QB who looked like he was done.

All this other narrative is unfounded rubbish.
9moon doesn't read so he keeps missing the answers to his question. Watch, he will keep repeating himself
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it gave way to a motivated brady which he needed a lot of luck in the playoffs

If we signed Brady somehow, Brady doesn't have that motivation. He wanted to come here to be laid to rest

this sentence here got me good mr att
Share 49ersWebzone