There are 347 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

I've been a Shanahan supporter since he's been here but the really screwed up the Lance situation. The probably shouldn't have taken him in the first place but after using all those picks to get him, you have to be willing to give him a good game look. Everyone says he needs more reps and what does Kyle do? He let's him start 4 games . He appeared in fewer games than any other top 5 draft pick in history. He may not ever be a good QB but without a decent amount of game time we just don't know. They knew he ws a project and they knew he had very few games in college. Still they took the chance without any real commitment. I don't understand not keeping him for at least another year.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've been a Shanahan supporter since he's been here but the really screwed up the Lance situation. The probably shouldn't have taken him in the first place but after using all those picks to get him, you have to be willing to give him a good game look. Everyone says he needs more reps and what does Kyle do? He let's him start 4 games . He appeared in fewer games than any other top 5 draft pick in history. He may not ever be a good QB but without a decent amount of game time we just don't know. They knew he ws a project and they knew he had very few games in college. Still they took the chance without any real commitment. I don't understand not keeping him for at least another year.

This is the arguement everyone makes but I don't get

he did not get benched due to performance once

1) Rookie year: he hurt his finger but was always going to be a redshirt year
2) 2nd year he was given the starting job despite not being the better QB out of him and Jimmy and got injured
3) Here we are where Brock shined

I don't see how Shanahan didn't let him play and only gave him "4 starts"

Should never have wasted all those draft picks on him In the first place, but since we did, you'd think Kyle would have a little more patience with him.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Should never have wasted all those draft picks on him In the first place, but since we did, you'd think Kyle would have a little more patience with him.

How??????????????????????????? Please tell me what he should have done?
The above posts are just complaints in a vacuum.
Originally posted by ritz126:

This is the arguement everyone makes but I don't get

he did not get benched due to performance once

1) Rookie year: he hurt his finger but was always going to be a redshirt year
2) 2nd year he was given the starting job despite not being the better QB out of him and Jimmy and got injured
3) Here we are where Brock shined

I don't see how Shanahan didn't let him play and only gave him "4 starts"

yeah...it is pretty bonkers in this day when every thing has played out in the eye of the public how these narratives start. That is all it is, a narrative...a story...used the fit a view point. Has nothing to do with reality, that we all saw first hand.

You can simplify this whole thing greatly....

The 49ers should not have taken Trey Lance.

It is that simple.

What is the craziest part of that whole narrative is the "omg.... Shanny never gave the QB on and off IR his entire career here a chance!!!" is the fact Papa sat on the "Trey throws picks non-stop running the scout team" intel to not publicly embarrass Trey Lance.

Of course Shanny knew that Trey was turning the ball over non-stop on the scout team.....and funny that....even knowing Trey was horrific as the scout team QB...he built an entire offense to get Trey Lance the snaps he needs going into year 2.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Sep 2, 2023 at 9:08 AM ]

Fans might not know. The people who saw him everyday in practice probably have a pretty good idea.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Fans might not know. The people who saw him everyday in practice probably have a pretty good idea.

Oh hey we still talkin bout Lance on Sept 2nd?? Trey Lance needs reps, experience or more live action, he's just not gonna get it this year and maybe even next year too. Even though 2024 could be an out-year from Dak, do the Cowboys really want to take on that much dead cap space, $61 million?? So that's possibly 4 years of not playing more than 4 games, unless traded again to a QB-needy team. Lance should've pushed hard for Minnesota, where I think he has the best shot of starting.

Oh well, who gives a s**t, he's a Cowboy now, deep on the depth chart he'll soon be forgotten.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I don't mind it. It's refreshing to see a FO cut ties that soon. Instead of wasting extra years like we did with Alex and Jimmy. Not good enough? Move on.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

I don't mind it. It's refreshing to see a FO cut ties that soon. Instead of wasting extra years like we did with Alex and Jimmy. Not good enough? Move on.

I do too, I also don't expect to get an answer from those two on the question.

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Because, unlike Jimmy, he's still young and the success of the team wasn't dependent on him since he'd be QB2 at best.
lol the "Kyle mismanaged Trey" narrative creeping back in again. dudes cant accept that maybe he just wasnt good enough to QB this team even as a back-up at his time.

let. it. go.
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda - Yada-Yada-Yada

I't's done and finished - Please people - Move on, we have a game on the 10th and the best player on the team hasn't yet been resigned.

That's something to be talking about instead of all the handwringing.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda - Yada-Yada-Yada

I't's done and finished - Please people - Move on, we have a game on the 10th and the best player on the team hasn't yet been resigned.

That's something to be talking about instead of all the handwringing.

I'm sure it'll get done.

AGREE here...

again, Shanny gave up the farm to get Lance, and gave up on Lance after 4 games.. HOW good is Lance supposed to be after 4 games coming from ONE season from ND State..

.. and how long will he give B-Rock a chance if he stays healthy all year long and we have a very very very bad year..
Share 49ersWebzone