There are 211 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've been a Shanahan supporter since he's been here but the really screwed up the Lance situation. The probably shouldn't have taken him in the first place but after using all those picks to get him, you have to be willing to give him a good game look. Everyone says he needs more reps and what does Kyle do? He let's him start 4 games . He appeared in fewer games than any other top 5 draft pick in history. He may not ever be a good QB but without a decent amount of game time we just don't know. They knew he ws a project and they knew he had very few games in college. Still they took the chance without any real commitment. I don't understand not keeping him for at least another year.

Should never have wasted all those draft picks on him In the first place, but since we did, you'd think Kyle would have a little more patience with him.

Yes drafting Lance was a mistake, but I don't want him to make another mistake and force Lance to start even though he knows he is not currently a very good option at QB.

If he feels that Lance is not very good and would be a detriment to the team, then it is best to just part ways and not prolong it. The play of Purdy this year will determine if Kyle made the right choice. And as 49er fans, we have to hope he did.

He could have kept him on the team as the backup or as the 3rd string QB. guess Trey wanted out when he wasn't named as the backup so maybe that wasn't an option.You're right that Purdy's play this year will determine a lot. If he can stay healthy all year and play like he did in those 7 starts last year then the team will be fine. Teams with a great defense don't need great QBs to win. They just need QBs that are smart and don't make too many mistakes.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JMC52:
You win some you lose some, we lost Trey but won the lottery with Brock.

True.

Now it's all about keeping Brock upright so he can help us win the super bowl.

Agree 💯% I hope Foerster and Kyle are up to the job!
[ Edited by Giedi on Sep 2, 2023 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
This is crazy. I can't see Kyle ever doing this lol
[tweet

That is a tough mountain top to defend....

"great coaches let Janitors create their plays" is going to find resistance in most coaching circles.....
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by boast:
lol the "Kyle mismanaged Trey" narrative creeping back in again. dudes cant accept that maybe he just wasnt good enough to QB this team even as a back-up at his time.

let. it. go.

WHY. not be consistent all around... how much more must we give Kinlaw a chance ??

Kinlaw's not a QB. false equivalence much?

Yet, they both share similarities

yet there's absolutely no reason to cut him. have there been any trade offers?

Why keep someone who has little to no Impact on the game? Cut ties and move on.

go ask Kris Kocurek. i'm sure he knows why Kinlaw is still on the roster.

the SHANNYGANS will continue to support whatever decision Kyle makes and point to somebody else to BLAME..

COMEDY.. lol

I'll admit to being a bit of a Kyle homer, but I'm really not sure there was anything else he could've done once Lance was drafted to get him to the place he needed to be (if you can accept that drafting Lance was ok, and not a Kyle mistake, then let's proceed with analysis).....

Shanahan was transparent about redshirting him year 1, and most people agreed that was worth doing given the state of the roster/team.

Then year 2, Shanahan names him starter and tried to trade Jimmy and failed. Even with Garoppolo available, Kyle still stuck to his guns with Lance as day 1 starter. Not a hint of benching him after that crazy first game. Gets hurt in a really unfortunate fashion.......and at that point, this story ends since there was nothing that Kyle could do anymore.

So if we're going to nitpick here, then it's about how he was used in 2021 and 2022. In 2021 they had those spot moments for Lance to jump in and do stuff, and for the most part he did. It's wild to think the first TD pass of his rookie career was the first TD pass for the 49ers too. Teammates felt the back/forth was not ideal (and many many decades of NFL experience tells us this as well). Shanahan OBLIGES, and Lance doesn't see action until Jimmy gets hurt, and then starts against AZ (I forget the nature of Jimmy's injury against Seattle).

The Cardinals were resembling a top team at the time, perhaps dominant. So Lance overall looked ok, maybe out of sorts somewhat, but way better than Malik Jackson's first NFL start in 2022 (which if we're being fair is Josh Johnson in NFC Championship game level play). Lance got hurt in this game and then we didn't see him until Houston.

There was also the preseason injury I think in 2021.

Man, I really do think Lance was unlucky. Either that, or he might not be suited for this league from an injury standpoint, more than even his QB playmaking skill.

There's a duality to the situation Lance was drafted in:

a) Top picks usually go to s**tty teams, and hence don't have the support and can often bust if they don't truly have it (guys like Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence are those rare guys who overcame everything). Maybe think Alex Smith going to the 49ers as a good example.

b) Top picks that go to great teams (super rare), have a unique problem - expectations are very high given the state of the roster/coaching, so redshirt or not, at some point one will be expected to be the man, one way or another. Lance was expected to deliver for the 49ers far faster than if he went to Jaguars, Jets, Bears.

Kyle could've made Lance play the entire 2021 season, essentially give up that expected NFC Championship Game appearance (assuming what we think of Lance now was always going to be true), but maybe you get a real glimpse if he had it or not. If Lance was always injury prone, then Garoppolo certainly would've seen action. If not, we would've gotten a full season of him and have 1000x better idea of what we know now, which is still s**t.

And maybe you risked alienating Garoppolo doing this, and perhaps the risk was you would lose Jimmy and Trey wasn't worth the trade up. So you would've needed to at least given him a second season and ship Garoppolo.

In true hindsight, making a trade of that nature, you gotta go all in completely. I feel Kyle was willing to do that, but felt sitting a year was best decision (I tend to agree), it's just unfortunate everybody got dealt a bad hand.

I'm willing to hear out Kyle screwed this up..........but respectfully, I need to know *HOW* he should've handled the situation differently.

Like others have said here, had Purdy truly been average, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and Lance would still be a Niner and most likely even starter.

Purdy being drafted as last pick of the draft indicates to me they saw purely potential in him, perhaps as a long term backup to Lance once Jimmy was gone. This was unlike the Kirk Cousins pick where RG3 was totally not desired by the Shanahans , and thus was an insurance pick that worked out really well. I can't see Purdy being chosen as Lance insurance, esp. considering at the time you had Jimmy.

It's such a unique situation (even Lance being picked by a super bowl team is super freaking rare in SB era.... I can't think of another loaded team picking a QB top 5 , can you?), and then you add the strange Jimmy storylines and the craziest diamond in the rough QB find possibly since Brady (fingers crossed!!!!).

Please tell me that this analysis is all off and biased, I'll listen.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda - Yada-Yada-Yada

I't's done and finished - Please people - Move on, we have a game on the 10th and the best player on the team hasn't yet been resigned.

That's something to be talking about instead of all the handwringing.
Wish Bosa woulda been signed earlier.
He coulda been signed weeks ago.
But definitely shoulda been signed a while ago.

Covered all the criteria on that one for us!
😁
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
lol the "Kyle mismanaged Trey" narrative creeping back in again. dudes cant accept that maybe he just wasnt good enough to QB this team even as a back-up at his time.

let. it. go.

WHY. not be consistent all around... how much more must we give Kinlaw a chance ??

Kinlaw's not a QB. false equivalence much?

Yet, they both share similarities

yet there's absolutely no reason to cut him. have there been any trade offers?

Why keep someone who has little to no Impact on the game? Cut ties and move on.

go ask Kris Kocurek. i'm sure he knows why Kinlaw is still on the roster.

the SHANNYGANS will continue to support whatever decision Kyle makes and point to somebody else to BLAME..

COMEDY.. lol

I'll admit to being a bit of a Kyle homer, but I'm really not sure there was anything else he could've done once Lance was drafted to get him to the place he needed to be (if you can accept that drafting Lance was ok, and not a Kyle mistake, then let's proceed with analysis).....

Shanahan was transparent about redshirting him year 1, and most people agreed that was worth doing given the state of the roster/team.

Then year 2, Shanahan names him starter and tried to trade Jimmy and failed. Even with Garoppolo available, Kyle still stuck to his guns with Lance as day 1 starter. Not a hint of benching him after that crazy first game. Gets hurt in a really unfortunate fashion.......and at that point, this story ends since there was nothing that Kyle could do anymore.

So if we're going to nitpick here, then it's about how he was used in 2021 and 2022. In 2021 they had those spot moments for Lance to jump in and do stuff, and for the most part he did. It's wild to think the first TD pass of his rookie career was the first TD pass for the 49ers too. Teammates felt the back/forth was not ideal (and many many decades of NFL experience tells us this as well). Shanahan OBLIGES, and Lance doesn't see action until Jimmy gets hurt, and then starts against AZ (I forget the nature of Jimmy's injury against Seattle).

The Cardinals were resembling a top team at the time, perhaps dominant. So Lance overall looked ok, maybe out of sorts somewhat, but way better than Malik Jackson's first NFL start in 2022 (which if we're being fair is Josh Johnson in NFC Championship game level play). Lance got hurt in this game and then we didn't see him until Houston.

There was also the preseason injury I think in 2021.

Man, I really do think Lance was unlucky. Either that, or he might not be suited for this league from an injury standpoint, more than even his QB playmaking skill.

There's a duality to the situation Lance was drafted in:

a) Top picks usually go to s**tty teams, and hence don't have the support and can often bust if they don't truly have it (guys like Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence are those rare guys who overcame everything). Maybe think Alex Smith going to the 49ers as a good example.

b) Top picks that go to great teams (super rare), have a unique problem - expectations are very high given the state of the roster/coaching, so redshirt or not, at some point one will be expected to be the man, one way or another. Lance was expected to deliver for the 49ers far faster than if he went to Jaguars, Jets, Bears.

Kyle could've made Lance play the entire 2021 season, essentially give up that expected NFC Championship Game appearance (assuming what we think of Lance now was always going to be true), but maybe you get a real glimpse if he had it or not. If Lance was always injury prone, then Garoppolo certainly would've seen action. If not, we would've gotten a full season of him and have 1000x better idea of what we know now, which is still s**t.

And maybe you risked alienating Garoppolo doing this, and perhaps the risk was you would lose Jimmy and Trey wasn't worth the trade up. So you would've needed to at least given him a second season and ship Garoppolo.

In true hindsight, making a trade of that nature, you gotta go all in completely. I feel Kyle was willing to do that, but felt sitting a year was best decision (I tend to agree), it's just unfortunate everybody got dealt a bad hand.

I'm willing to hear out Kyle screwed this up..........but respectfully, I need to know *HOW* he should've handled the situation differently.

Like others have said here, had Purdy truly been average, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and Lance would still be a Niner and most likely even starter.

Purdy being drafted as last pick of the draft indicates to me they saw purely potential in him, perhaps as a long term backup to Lance once Jimmy was gone. This was unlike the Kirk Cousins pick where RG3 was totally not desired by the Shanahans , and thus was an insurance pick that worked out really well. I can't see Purdy being chosen as Lance insurance, esp. considering at the time you had Jimmy.

It's such a unique situation (even Lance being picked by a super bowl team is super freaking rare in SB era.... I can't think of another loaded team picking a QB top 5 , can you?), and then you add the strange Jimmy storylines and the craziest diamond in the rough QB find possibly since Brady (fingers crossed!!!!).

Please tell me that this analysis is all off and biased, I'll listen.

BOTTOM line is.... KYLE best pray that B-ROCK is not a 7 game wonder, and if he's a fluke then DARNOLD best be the STEVE YOUNG that he said...

I'm willing to hear out Kyle screwed this up..........but respectfully, I need to know *HOW* he should've handled the situation differently - I fully believe that the best thing Kyle could have done is to name him the 2nd stringer... this way, Lance does not get BUTT HURT and asks for a TRADE... you just don't trade a player you show full sport just a year ago and after trading the farm for him, then trade him, especially after just 4 games..

KYLE has always been a very good OC (IMO) and he's far from being a very good HC.. he can't evaluate QBs, in fact, if the story is true that he's been wanting KIRK, then it just proves that he has no idea about what QB is all about.. HOW CAN THIS GUY SEE KIRK AS AN ABOVE AVERAGE QB?

Like others have said here, had Purdy truly been average, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and Lance would still be a Niner and most likely even starter. - AGAIN, what's PURDY done.. and don't get me wrong, because I do like PURDY, but I'm just not ready to give him that " TITLE " yet.. not after 7 games..

I can't think of another loaded team picking a QB top 5 , can you? - TRUE.. I can't think of any teams very loaded drafting a QB.. and I was against it, I knew to NOT draft a QB because that position will not GET US TO THE SUPER BOWL.. not for the next 3 years even IF we got lucky..

Good analysis. I agree with just about every point.
I'd add a couple of things:

Kyle could've made Lance play the entire 2021 season, essentially give up that expected NFC Championship Game appearance (assuming what we think of Lance now was always going to be true), but maybe you get a real glimpse if he had it or not.

I imagine the coaching staff collectively made an evaluation of Lance and decided he wasn't quite ready year one. If so, bearing in mind our win window, that evaluation was probably justified.

You have to remember they had already signed Sudfield to a £2M guaranteed contract also (of which they ended having to pay half while he warmed bench for Detroit). I think they generally took 2 QB's in the 53-man roster prior to that season too. I don't think there was any expectation at all that Purdy was going to usurp Sudfield when he was drafted. It wasn't a position of need obviously. I think Purdy just set off a 'WTF?' alarm where somebody felt his draft value had fallen through the floor. Turns out they were right.
I fully believe that the best thing Kyle could have done is to name him the 2nd stringer... this way, Lance does not get BUTT HURT and asks for a TRADE... you just don't trade a player you show full sport just a year ago and after trading the farm for him, then trade him, especially after just 4 games..
QB2 is an important position, as 49er fans probably know better than anyone!

You give the role to the player you trust to deliver the most when called upon. You don't appoint to save people's feelings.

You don't do that at any place in the roster, let alone at the QB spot.

Honestly, I'm a big supporter of Trey Lance, and was excited to see him do well, but through injury and teething pains he just didn't earn the number two spot and I would have liked to see him just accept that and start the long fight back from that position.

That said, I can understand why a breath of fresh air might have been the best move for him (and possibly for both parties).
Originally posted by joeknows:
I fully believe that the best thing Kyle could have done is to name him the 2nd stringer... this way, Lance does not get BUTT HURT and asks for a TRADE... you just don't trade a player you show full sport just a year ago and after trading the farm for him, then trade him, especially after just 4 games..

You give the role to the player you trust to deliver the most when called upon. You don't appoint to save people's feelings.

Honestly, I'm a big supporter of Trey Lance, and was excited to see him do well, but through injury and teething pains he just didn't earn the number two spot and I would have liked to see him just accept that and start the long fight back from that position.

That said, I can understand why a breath of fresh air might have been the best move for him (and possibly for both parties).

Good take.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good take.

Agree 💯%

but THIS HAS BEEN the 49ers way...

We once told Steve Young that no matter what, he'll be the " starting QB in two years " ...
We told the two MIKES that they will be 49ers HC in " 2 years " ..

PLUS - would there have been an issue if Trey was named the 2nd string?? EVERYONE would have accepted the fact that he is the 2nd stringer because of where he was drafted and the fact that the future may still be bright..

IN-fact, who in here did not see that??

.. and EVEN if we were planning on trading him, would it not be WISE for Shanny to name him the 2nd stringer for VALUE'S SAKE?? who knows, maybe, just maybe, we could have gotten a 3rd, or even a two 4th rounders.. NO?

but THIS HAS BEEN the 49ers way...

We once told Steve Young that no matter what, he'll be the " starting QB in two years " ...
We told the two MIKES that they will be 49ers HC in " 2 years " ..

PLUS - would there have been an issue if Trey was named the 2nd string?? EVERYONE would have accepted the fact that he is the 2nd stringer because of where he was drafted and the fact that the future may still be bright..

IN-fact, who in here did not see that??

.. and EVEN if we were planning on trading him, would it not be WISE for Shanny to name him the 2nd stringer for VALUE'S SAKE?? who knows, maybe, just maybe, we could have gotten a 3rd, or even a two 4th rounders.. NO?

... JUST wanted to add, wasnt the starting position given to LANCE a year ago ? isn't that MORE important than a 2nd stringer ?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

... JUST wanted to add, wasnt the starting position given to LANCE a year ago ? isn't that MORE important than a 2nd stringer ?

Difference is, the 49ers were trying to move on from Jimmy G. and were willing to take their bumps and bruises with him as the starter. Fast forward a season later after Brock Purdy showed you can get all the way up to the NFCC with him and Lance coming back from injury, competition was the smart move for the #2 position. Signing Darnold who didn't know the playbook to compete with Lance was suppose to bring out the best in Lance, in the end it only showed that Lance couldn't handle the pressure. And once the decision was made, got all emotional left practice and wanted off the team, why would anyone want that as their starting QB!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Difference is, the 49ers were trying to move on from Jimmy G. and were willing to take their bumps and bruises with him as the starter. Fast forward a season later after Brock Purdy showed you can get all the way up to the NFCC with him and Lance coming back from injury, competition was the smart move for the #2 position. Signing Darnold who didn't know the playbook to compete with Lance was suppose to bring out the best in Lance, in the end it only showed that Lance couldn't handle the pressure. And once the decision was made, got all emotional left practice and wanted off the team, why would anyone want that as their starting QB!!!

.. again, that's a given.. that's why we gave away the farm to draft Darnold.. but think about it, what happens to a LOADED TEAM (per JTs' post) when you give the starting job to a very raw young QB who only started or played ONE season at ND STATE..

.. common sense will say that it will be a negative result 95% of the time... but this move was done because of TRUST as well, and Shanny gave that trust to Lance w/o earning it...

.. and this is the same reason why the trade is being questioned as to why we gave up on the kid too soon.. ..

AGAIN, Shanny has NOW gone ALL IN on Purdy and Purdy best be THE NEXT !!

.. while Darnold should be the next STEVE YOUNG..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

.. again, that's a given.. that's why we gave away the farm to draft Darnold.. but think about it, what happens to a LOADED TEAM (per JTs' post) when you give the starting job to a very raw young QB who only started or played ONE season at ND STATE..

.. common sense will say that it will be a negative result 95% of the time... but this move was done because of TRUST as well, and Shanny gave that trust to Lance w/o earning it...

.. and this is the same reason why the trade is being questioned as to why we gave up on the kid too soon.. ..

AGAIN, Shanny has NOW gone ALL IN on Purdy and Purdy best be THE NEXT !!

.. while Darnold should be the next STEVE YOUNG..

Before the keys were handed over to Lance, there was no Brock Purdy hype train, now there is and that's why the trade makes sense. Think about it though, did the 9ers really give up on Lance too soon or did Lance give up on the 9ers too soon?? Tell me, who got all emotional left practice and asked for a trade??
Share 49ersWebzone