There are 500 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Trent shared his job with the non accountables… that's why he had it. The hiring process when he got the job was a farce not unlike our 2015 coaching search. It wasn't Trent vs Jim. It was Jim vs Trent, Jed, and Paraag.

I disagree with that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
How is 5 starts = highest contract ever? That's not market value, that's a freaking gift.

They had options and went with the highest amount of money after hardly doing anything. That cash tied them to him.

what I believe with Lance was the process from the beginning to them trading him was a mess. If you look back at what I actually wanted it was Fields. I thought Lance had potential and could grow on a great roster, he didn't have to be great out of the gate to win games. He did have it play to get better and that never happened overall (him playing).

people act like Brock is some proven vet, he's got 230 passes. He will have his developmental ups and downs like damn near every young QB has. So to say he fits the timeline, but Lance doesn't at all is silly. A qb was gonna be developing here. You honestly have no idea what Lance will or won't be, that's just the truth of it at this pt…but whatever there he's not here. How it was handled was icky and arguing about it isn't gonna change my opinion on how everything went.

I mean I figured the way they handled Lance was underpinning your opinion. That's been obvious all offseason. I personally think they handled the situation about as well as they could have because the pick was a disaster from the jump and they basically had no choice but to mitigate it. The mistake was the pick and then starting him when he wasn't close to ready to play. Outside of that they did the right things in terms of management. They successfully insured against him being a disaster and seemingly improved in the process. Basically a miracle.

You're right in that I don't know for sure what will come of the rest of Trey's career. I have a pretty good idea though and a very solid foundation on which it's built. We saw enough of him to understand that he is a complete anchor on the offense at this point to be sure. He cannot execute the simplest responsibilities at the position consistently. We'll see what happens going forward with him though.

With Brock he played really well and the team looked better than it ever has under this regime. Starting him is a no brainer. It's not some wild commitment they are making. Going in another direction, especially Lance's, would have made absolutely zero sense given how he and the team played together… and if it doesn't work out with Brock it's back to the drawing board. He's worth developing because his floor isn't clearly a QB that doesn't belong in the NFL (like Lance for example). That is completely usual.
I disagree with that.

That's fine. I'm sure a lot of fans do because it's an undesirable reality of the organization. It was pretty well reported though and corroborated in action.

#2 pick for kirk cousins. Are you guys still shanabelievers???

They gave him a 5 year deal at what was his perceived market value and also gave themselves outs in the contract.

At what point do you think they would have moved on had they tagged him? Maybe they could have signed him for less money after he tore his ACL in '18 but they very likely would have wanted to keep him…because they did. You get less flexibility with the tag and in the end, it's not like his contract prevented us from doing something else. I would even say we got an ok return on it. It certainly wasn't a disaster.

Still agree with your bottom point, at least in the context of the draft. Starting Brock this season when he costs a million bucks and the team is cap strapped isn't some concerning move… and neither was trading a dysfunctional player that was incredibly expensive in his role. You probably believe there was no reason to trade Trey and view that move as going all in with Brock but the reality, to me at least, is Trey just doesn't fit this team's timeline and is probably never going to be a starter in this league wherever he goes. He was never going to be an answer if Brock flops or gets hurt.

How is 5 starts = highest contract ever? That's not market value, that's a freaking gift.

They had options and went with the highest amount of money after hardly doing anything. That cash tied them to him.

what I believe with Lance was the process from the beginning to them trading him was a mess. If you look back at what I actually wanted it was Fields. I thought Lance had potential and could grow on a great roster, he didn't have to be great out of the gate to win games. He did have to play to get better and that never happened overall (him playing).

people act like Brock is some proven vet, he's got 230 passes. He will have his developmental ups and downs like damn near every young QB has. So to say he fits the timeline, but Lance doesn't at all is silly. A qb was gonna be developing here. You honestly have no idea what Lance will or won't be, that's just the truth of it at this pt…but whatever there he's not here. How it was handled was icky and arguing about it isn't gonna change my opinion on how everything went.

lol. nothing was icky. Lance got injured multiple times and couldn't take advantage of his opportunities. the problem was selecting him not how he was treated after the team drafted him.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

#2 pick for kirk cousins. Are you guys still shanabelievers???

Not even sure how this is being taken seriously.

Kyle, already stated he didn't even look at QBs because they wanted Cousins the following offseason. 0% chance JL would have passed on taking his classmate (Solomon)
Originally posted by krizay:

Kyle, already stated he didn't even look at QBs because they wanted Cousins the following offseason. 0% chance JL would have passed on taking his classmate (Solomon)

This came directly from Mike Shanahan.

I'm still laughing.

I'm still laughing.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

It's a bit hard to believe Washington wouldn't pick up the phone when we successfully traded with them in another situation (Trent). And it's also hard to believe they wouldn't have taken that deal given their ongoing situation with Cousins and the value we'd be offering. They knew he was on the outs and would be there for one more season only…

I'm still laughing.

Yea I made my comment before even reading the story. Assumed it was some talking head from TV or Twitter

My apologies
Yea I made my comment before even reading the story. Assumed it was some talking head from TV or Twitter

My apologies

Lol, your intuition was probably still correct though. The timing of this story reeks.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 8, 2023 at 7:29 PM ]

Lol, your intuition was probably still correct though. The timing of this story reeks.

Yea but if they were willing to trade #13 for SD I guess it's not out of the realm if possibilities he would have done it for Kirk at #2. Kirk was also coming off of 2 solid years at that time.

Yea but if they were willing to trade #13 for SD I guess it's not out of the realm if possibilities he would have done it for Kirk at #2. Kirk was also coming off of 2 solid years at that time.

Wait what? Did I miss something?

Sure, that part I find at least somewhat believable, though it would be an insane reach in terms of value. Unfortunately we proved that's within our capability, lol. It's the other side of the equation that makes little to no sense.

I guess this must have happened on draft day too, at least as it's reported.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Funny how it's now a s**t show

You wanted Jimmy before we even traded for him and you were loving it all the way to the SB that year

Yes looking back at it overall it was a s**t show and weird. It's okay to look back and change your opinion about all of it. I'm allowed to do that, no? I've watched you change your tune about Jimmy and Trey, which is fine.

I'm pro Kyle always have been. I think how the QB position has been handled had been weird and we're still trying to figure it out in YR7. Overall not a lot of GM/HCs get that long to do that. We've won almost in spite of having a good QB. Hopefully Brock is the real deal and we can stop arguing with each other about all of it. Wouldn't that be something
Of course I've changed my tune, I'm not devoted to any of the players. May the best guy win the spot, if not hit the pike

i'm also a realist and don't expect all draft picks to be superstars especially picking QBs

look at all the teams in NFL history, how many have them picked HOF QBs again and again?

we've gotten lucky with two and hopefully working on the third

Wait what? Did I miss something?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sam-darnold-rumors-49ers-offered-first-rounder-to-jets-prior-to-trade-with-panthers-per-report/
Share 49ersWebzone