There are 377 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by krizay:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sam-darnold-rumors-49ers-offered-first-rounder-to-jets-prior-to-trade-with-panthers-per-report/

A completely laughable rumor. The Jets didn't want picks 2 and 12 in that draft simply because Wilson had a bum shoulder? Ridiculous.

If the 9ers truly wanted Darnold they could've gotten him obviously. If they offered anything it was clearly less than what Carolina did.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Moving all in on Jimmy after 5 games should be on that list imo. Wanting to moving the 2nd overall pick for Kirk (apparently) was a bit extreme also.

there were misses all over the place at QB. The whole process that got them to Lance and how it was handled was a mess. Now handing the keys to a loaded roster to Brock? I mean I'm here for it and to see where it goes…but overall it's been a lot of head scratching stuff at that position.

I also don't want a GM that's unwilling to listen to kyle. There's got to be cohesiveness there, like all the great regimes.

overall I'm complaining about one thing, it's been a bunch of good & we're in a great spot.

Jimmy contract was completely normal in my opinion. It was the timing of his FA, and the fact that he played really well and almost immediately helped reset the culture around the team. Of course they signed him. So would a traditional GM.

I'd agree to add in that trade for Cousins if it is actually real. It's the first we're hearing of it now and I'm not sold that it's legitimate just yet.

Brock played great… absolutely nothing odd about their decision to roll with him, and they did buy some insurance in any case.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think the jimmy contract was a big deal. He may not of lived up to it but it isn't like he was terrible either. When he was healthy, we made it to the NFCC/Super bowl. Regardless of if someone wants to argue if he was good or not, he wasn't bad. He really helped with our culture, the guys loved him. He helped us win a lot of games by doing little things right at qb. He was limited overall but still good as a whole. Best qb we've had in a long long time, IMO. He also handled the whole qb situation as well as you could of asked him to, even when it was probably pretty embarrassing and eventually hopeless for him. Especially when you compare it to how Lance handled it when he didn't win the backup spot, immediately wanted out.

in other words, he didn't live up to the contact but he didn't drastically underplay it either. He was paid like a top 5-8 qb most years and I'd say he was in the 9-12 range for the most part.

id agree that it was a miss as a whole but wasn't a terrible miss. The Lance trade up/selection was horrific, an easy F-. I'd grade the jimmy situation as a B- or B. At least SOMETHING good came from jimmy and he helped us win a lot of games.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
A completely laughable rumor. The Jets didn't want picks 2 and 12 in that draft simply because Wilson had a bum shoulder? Ridiculous.

If the 9ers truly wanted Darnold they could've gotten him obviously. If they offered anything it was clearly less than what Carolina did.

I find that report very hard to believe as well. The difference in value being the biggest problem but also the idea that it effectively reports that they were only willing to move on from Darnold for Wilson. Pretty suspect.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think the jimmy contract was a big deal. He may not of lived up to it but it isn't like he was terrible either. When he was healthy, we made it to the NFCC/Super bowl. Regardless of if someone wants to argue if he was good or not, he wasn't bad. He really helped with our culture, the guys loved him. He helped us win a lot of games by doing little things right at qb. He was limited overall but still good as a whole. Best qb we've had in a long long time, IMO. He also handled the whole qb situation as well as you could of asked him to, even when it was probably pretty embarrassing and eventually hopeless for him. Especially when you compare it to how Lance handled it when he didn't win the backup spot, immediately wanted out.

in other words, he didn't live up to the contact but he didn't drastically underplay it either. He was paid like a top 5-8 qb most years and I'd say he was in the 9-12 range for the most part.

id agree that it was a miss as a whole but wasn't a terrible miss. The Lance trade up/selection was horrific, an easy F-. I'd grade the jimmy situation as a B- or B. At least SOMETHING good came from jimmy and he helped us win a lot of games.

Agreed. I'd add that although we all wanted more from Jimmy the player, the only reason there could be a debate around whether his contract was good or not so good would be because he missed so much time due to injury. And again, his contract really didn't anchor this team in any meaningful way.

When you make a guy the highest paid qb in the league you should expect pro bowl level performance. We never got that. It obviously wasn't as big a miss as Lance but it was absolutely a miss. They have to get Purdy right if they pay him 40-50 mil in the future.

I'd also argue he was more like 11-14 most of his career here. I remember looking at an average of all the qb metrics from 2021 had him 14th overall.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

When you make a guy the highest paid qb in the league you should expect pro bowl level performance. We never got that. It obviously wasn't as big a miss as Lance but it was absolutely a miss. They have to get Purdy right if they pay him 40-50 mil in the future.

I'd also argue he was more like 11-14 most of his career here. I remember looking at an average of all the qb metrics from 2021 had him 14th overall.

Just depends on what you were looking at. For example, he was rated top 2 (with mahommes) on third downs most seasons. He is top 3 since 2017 (behind Mahomes & Bree's) in EPA, he was top 3 or so on YPA (behind Mahomes).

the issue to me is that what Jimmy was good, he was really good at it. What he sucked at, he was pretty bad at (deep throws, throwing the ball away, second chance plays usually).

I think it's pretty clear that Jimmy did certain things really well that contribute a lot to helping us win. It wasn't flashy or sexy, but his accuracy, third down ability etc was really huge to us sustaining drives and all of that. His last year he was incredible in the red zone. I believe top 5. I've always felt like he didn't get enough credit for that stuff because most people just focus on what he didn't do well. I think he did a lot more well than he didn't. It's over though, it ultimately didn't work out. I expect more out of Brock and am excited about it.

i was never upset about moving off of Jimmy, I just was confused because of the drop off in play between jimmy and Lance was huge and I didn't think Lance gave us a chance to win. I'd of been perfectly fine with us moving off of jimmy for a guy like Brock.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 8, 2023 at 8:30 PM ]

Giving a guy the largest contract in NFL history after 5 games is not a normal thing. He never lived up to that deal, which isn't his fault anyone would take that deal…but they weren't forced into the deal at all.

again we have a HC acting like a HC in regards to roster building, especially at QB. It's been far more good overall than bad, but the QB position and how we got here right now has been a mess imo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 9, 2023 at 3:41 AM ]
Just depends on what you were looking at. For example, he was rated top 2 (with mahommes) on third downs most seasons. He is top 3 since 2017 (behind Mahomes & Bree's) in EPA, he was top 3 or so on YPA (behind Mahomes).

the issue to me is that what Jimmy was good, he was really good at it. What he sucked at, he was pretty bad at (deep throws, throwing the ball away, second chance plays usually).

I think it's pretty clear that Jimmy did certain things really well that contribute a lot to helping us win. It wasn't flashy or sexy, but his accuracy, third down ability etc was really huge to us sustaining drives and all of that. His last year he was incredible in the red zone. I believe top 5. I've always felt like he didn't get enough credit for that stuff because most people just focus on what he didn't do well. I think he did a lot more well than he didn't. It's over though, it ultimately didn't work out. I expect more out of Brock and am excited about it.

i was never upset about moving off of Jimmy, I just was confused because of the drop off in play between jimmy and Lance was huge and I didn't think Lance gave us a chance to win. I'd of been perfectly fine with us moving off of jimmy for a guy like Brock.

IMO 3rd down ability has so much to do with play calling. They weren't a bunch of 3rd downs of him extend plays and going through a bunch of progressions.

Basically saying Lance couldn't give us a chance to win based off next to nothing is what I find weird in all these arguments. Kind hardly played and yet people had conclusions on him.

I expect way more out of Brock with the way they've handed over the keys. He can't be Jimmy 2.0 that's a failure on this FO/HC (not on Brock).

IMO 3rd down ability has so much to do with play calling. They weren't a bunch of 3rd downs of him extend plays and going through a bunch of progressions.

Basically saying Lance couldn't give us a chance to win based off next to nothing is what I find weird in all these arguments. Kind hardly played and yet people had conclusions on him.

I expect way more out of Brock with the way they've handed over the keys. He can't be Jimmy 2.0 that's a failure on this FO/HC (not on Brock).

I agree that third down execution is more than just qb ability but I feel like that argument can be made for just about any aspect of football. At the end of the day, the player has to execute it and Jimmy did a solid job at it. It wasn't a great idea to give Jimmy a record contract after 5 games, I think anyone would agree with that. It was a unique situation though, if we didn't pay him, someone would have. The best thing we could of done was franchise tag him, which in hindsight was probably the right thing to do but that was def a unique situation.

Well I didn't say I made a conclusion on him as a final product. I also made sure to say "I think" - my issue was more of the timing of plugging in a player who was so raw and asking him to lead us to a super bowl, that just doesn't make sense to me for any super raw qb. I thought he looked pretty bad the few times he did play, which he became essentially worthless Trade value wise because of how raw he was and how not ready he is. The injuries don't really have much to do with it, IMO. Jimmy had broken bones and injuries in a similar manner but played well in his few moments and was worth a 1-2 round pick at the time.

it'll be interesting to see how Lance does going forward cause his story isn't written yet. If he does ever do well, I hope it's not with a 49ers rival. Lol would of been nice to send him somewhere else were we could root for him to succeed.

i just want to see Brock continue to improve and learn from his mistakes/experiences. Refine his play, and build on what he did last year. See how he starts developing. I'm really excited to watch him play but he is still young and inexperienced at this stage, so it could go in any direction, but I think his foundation to build off of is pretty exciting. They handed the keys to Jimmy and Lance the same way, so I don't see an issue with that. Sometimes it's better to declare a "guy" and go forward with one guy instead of splitting everything and hurting the overall team because everything is split between two QBs. Time will tell if this situation was the right time.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 9, 2023 at 5:02 AM ]

Giving a guy the largest contract in NFL history after 5 games is not a normal thing. He never lived up to that deal, which isn't his fault anyone would take that deal…but they weren't forced into the deal at all.

again we have a HC acting like a HC in regards to roster building, especially at QB. It's been far more good overall than bad, but the QB position and how we got here right now has been a mess imo.

It's not your money? Lol

There is a Jimmy thread in NFL Talk if you still want to justify Jimmys existence.

It actually kind of is a normal thing. Every QB up for an extension that has shown even some upside is getting a 100+ million contract (Daniel Jones just got 160 million). If Brock was a FA this year he would be one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL. Just how things go now.
[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 9, 2023 at 7:40 AM ]

Oh man NY

After 6 years not a peep on the contract we all knew had to be paid the way it went down due to Jimmy being a FA and being a QB who actually won games against playoff teams down this stretch. We would have lost him to FA. Now you want to gripe about it. cause Lance is gone lol
Originally posted by TD49ers:

It's not your money? Lol

There is a Jimmy thread in NFL Talk if you still want to justify Jimmys existence.
There's a Lance thread also, cause it's really about Lance
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Makes sense. Kyle still coaching. Synder out of the league lol

I don't like Cousin at any point of his career. So glad they didn't answer
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 9, 2023 at 8:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone