LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 291 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Not saying the TD throw to Aiyuk was a Great decision, but after watching it from both sides of the camera angles, it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be imo.

From Purdy's viewpoint you can see BA break free across the back of the endzone in the direction of clear empty space, the ball cleared both defenders as far as height. The criticism can be made that the ball should have been a little higher and a little further to the open side leading BA to the open area of the field more.

If this is Brett Favre, or Mahomes or one of many other QB greats, it doesn't even get talked about except to say how great of a throw it was.

If anything, it shows his confidence in his ability and his receivers and it's a play he will learn from.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Anyway, Kyle is an a*****e and really hates when players get individual credit over his "system." Why he passed on Mahomes and why he insults and gets upset about Purdy's off schedule plays. Deep down he knows it's what's best and he can't deny the results. But his nature is to be controlling and have his QB be a robot extension of himself. Nothing about that is a "players' coach."

That's a horrible take not interesting
It's not the complete picture. But still.. it resonates. Long and the short shanny probably be a better coach to keep those remarks to himself in the press conference. And maybe ask why do I feel this way? Why criticize this guy who makes lots of good plays every game. This guy's come out of nowhere and giving us a 30 plus Point per game offense. Something to think about if I was Shanny9
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 13, 2023 at 5:38 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Anyway, Kyle is an a*****e and really hates when players get individual credit over his "system." Why he passed on Mahomes and why he insults and gets upset about Purdy's off schedule plays. Deep down he knows it's what's best and he can't deny the results. But his nature is to be controlling and have his QB be a robot extension of himself. Nothing about that is a "players' coach."

It's not the complete picture. But still.. it resonates. Long and the short shanny probably be a better coach to keep those remarks to himself in the press conference. And maybe ask why do I feel this way? Why criticize this guy who makes lots of good plays every game. This guy's come out of nowhere and giving us a 30 plus Point per game offense. Something to think about if I was Shanny9

This.
Originally posted by Patton:
Not saying the TD throw to Aiyuk was a Great decision, but after watching it from both sides of the camera angles, it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be imo.

From Purdy's viewpoint you can see BA break free across the back of the endzone in the direction of clear empty space, the ball cleared both defenders as far as height. The criticism can be made that the ball should have been a little higher and a little further to the open side leading BA to the open area of the field more.

If this is Brett Favre, or Mahomes or one of many other QB greats, it doesn't even get talked about except to say how great of a throw it was.

If anything, it shows his confidence in his ability and his receivers and it's a play he will learn from.

it was a great throw but not a good decision. He got a bit lucky for sure the throw was a maybe half a second late and across the body.

I see people are saying he's bashing Brock. I don't see it that way this is how players get better you wouldn't coach that throw would you?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Hopefully Kyle says something similar to this later in the week. Perfectly stated. Again, the point is not that it was a great decision and isn't worthy of criticism and coaching - just do it in the film room or on the practice field. No need to make a snide remark about a positive play that your QB made. Obviously he knows that or he wouldn't have used so many words to try and qualify his statement (before and after the remark).
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:

it was a great throw but not a good decision. He got a bit lucky for sure the throw was a maybe half a second late and across the body.

I see people are saying he's bashing Brock. I don't see it that way this is how players get better you wouldn't coach that throw would you?

Again, do you think it's wise to "coach players" during press conferences with the media? This is the point we're all making.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Hopefully Kyle says something similar to this later in the week. Perfectly stated. Again, the point is not that it was a great decision and isn't worthy of criticism and coaching - just do it in the film room or on the practice field. No need to make a snide remark about a positive play that your QB made. Obviously he knows that or he wouldn't have used so many words to try and qualify his statement (before and after the remark).

I think he was asked about the play. I don't think he just came out in press room and said it
Again, do you think it's wise to "coach players" during press conferences with the media? This is the point we're all making.

im confused would you want the coach when asked to lie? Lying about personnel decisions, game planning, and even overall play is one thing coaches do all the time but lying about a specific play after it happened?

This.

No not this. Do you tell someone who doesn't use proper gun safety good job cause no one got shot? It may have worked this time but it's a risk he didn't have to take. This is what we call coaching kids.

It's a great throw and decision if done in a different situation. Like if it's at the end of the game and the 49ers need a TD. That's the kind of throw and catch that would be greatly talked about in admiration if it happened to win the game.

Would like to see a few of those in that situation if we get to that point again.

No not this. Do you tell someone who doesn't use proper gun safety good job cause no one got shot? It may have worked this time but it's a risk he didn't have to take. This is what we call coaching kids.

This. A good outcome stemming from a bad decision doesn't mean you continue with that behavior. That's a throw that typically gets picked and there was no reason for it. It was first down in the first quarter of the game, shouldn't be forcing stuff that early.

So you take the touchdown and coach him to be smarter with the ball and move on.

They also need to coach that "I'm falling down, let me haphazardly chuck the ball away" out of him too. That usually ends up as intentional grounding and one of these times will get picked the same way he did in college. Either throw it out of bounds or just go down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. A good outcome stemming from a bad decision doesn't mean you continue with that behavior. That's a throw that typically gets picked and there was no reason for it. It was first down in the first quarter of the game, shouldn't be forcing stuff that early.

So you take the touchdown and coach him to be smarter with the ball and move on.

They also need to coach that "I'm falling down, let me haphazardly chuck the ball away" out of him too. That usually ends up as intentional grounding and one of these times will get picked the same way he did in college. Either throw it out of bounds or just go down.
Exactly. The outcome should not take away from the decision this goes for coaching too not just play.
It may have been a bad decision but he threw it to an area where only Aiyuk had a decent chance of getting it. The defenders were all on the other side of him. If it had been intercepted Brock would have been criticized but sometimes you need to take chances.
  • thl408

Kyle and Brock, they're cool like that. It's a general rule to not throw across the body, late, into the middle of the field. I guarantee you Brock isn't feeling slighted by Kyle's comments.
Originally posted by thl408:

Kyle and Brock, they're cool like that. It's a general rule to not throw across the body, late, into the middle of the field. I guarantee you Brock isn't feeling slighted by Kyle's comments.

Brock has been making those throws more and more each week. Let's go back to the back shoulder throws and less across the body to the middle of the field throws.
Share 49ersWebzone