George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 179 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It may have been a bad decision but he threw it to an area where only Aiyuk had a decent chance of getting it. The defenders were all on the other side of him. If it had been intercepted Brock would have been criticized but sometimes you need to take chances.

Was that one of those times? 1st down in the red zone on the first drive of the game when he probably picks up 5 yards from a scramble.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
It may have been a bad decision but he threw it to an area where only Aiyuk had a decent chance of getting it. The defenders were all on the other side of him. If it had been intercepted Brock would have been criticized but sometimes you need to take chances.

Was that one of those times? 1st down in the red zone on the first drive of the game when he probably picks up 5 yards from a scramble.

exactly end of game or end of half. No issues at all talking chances. The first drive? Probably not the best idea
  • thl408
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Patton:
Not saying the TD throw to Aiyuk was a Great decision, but after watching it from both sides of the camera angles, it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be imo.

From Purdy's viewpoint you can see BA break free across the back of the endzone in the direction of clear empty space, the ball cleared both defenders as far as height. The criticism can be made that the ball should have been a little higher and a little further to the open side leading BA to the open area of the field more.

If this is Brett Favre, or Mahomes or one of many other QB greats, it doesn't even get talked about except to say how great of a throw it was.

If anything, it shows his confidence in his ability and his receivers and it's a play he will learn from.

it was a great throw but not a good decision. He got a bit lucky for sure the throw was a maybe half a second late and across the body.

I see people are saying he's bashing Brock. I don't see it that way this is how players get better you wouldn't coach that throw would you?

Again, do you think it's wise to "coach players" during press conferences with the media? This is the point we're all making.

Kyle and Brock, they're cool like that. It's a general rule to not throw across the body, late, into the middle of the field. I guarantee you Brock isn't feeling slighted by Kyle's comments.

Brock has been making those throws more and more each week. Let's go back to the back shoulder throws and less across the body to the middle of the field throws.

Brock actually did the same thing on his very first drive versus MIA when he came into the game, and the pass nearly got picked off. He's a playmaker, not a game manager. It's entertaining.

exactly end of game or end of half. No issues at all talking chances. The first drive? Probably not the best idea

Part of what makes Purdy effective is his willingness to take some chances. That's one way he makes up for his shortcomings. Call it feel for the game or whatever but he has it. JG often passed them up and went for the easy completion. Remember how often this ream had to settle for FGs instead of TDs when Jimmy was QB. Brock seems to be able to brush off his mistakes and come back firing.
Part of what makes Purdy effective is his willingness to take some chances. That's one way he makes up for his shortcomings. Call it feel for the game or whatever but he has it. JG often passed them up and went for the easy completion. Remember how often this ream had to settle for FGs instead of TDs when Jimmy was QB. Brock seems to be able to brush off his mistakes and come back firing.

Taking chances is ok that really isn't the issue (tight window throws deep shots etc. I like that about him. Its more of that specific play of throwing across the body

You mean like the 1st INT against the Bengals late in the game when he should have just handed it off? He got ripped for those INT's at the of that game.

An INT at the beginning of the game has less of an affect on the outcome than an INT thrown when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. So I have to say that I feel the complete opposite as you do of when to force things and when not to..
Originally posted by YACBros85:

You mean like the 1st INT against the Bengals late in the game when he should have just handed it off? He got ripped for those INT's at the of that game.

An INT at the beginning of the game has less of an affect on the outcome than an INT thrown when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. So I have to say that I feel the complete opposite as you do of when to force things and when not to..

i mean personally, i didn't mind it that first int against the bengals was a great defensive play 9/10 times I think that falls incomplete.

But this play that wasn't even 3rd down it was 1st down and our first drive. There was no need to make that type of throw. If that was an int would that have been a good play by him? Thats how you have to look at decisions. The outcome shouldn't alter the decision
Originally posted by YACBros85:

i mean personally, i didn't mind it that first int against the bengals was a great defensive play 9/10 times I think that falls incomplete.

But this play that wasn't even 3rd down it was 1st down and our first drive. There was no need to make that type of throw. If that was an int would that have been a good play by him? Thats how you have to look at decisions. The outcome shouldn't alter the decision

He should have handed the ball off for a walk in TD against the Bengals. Regardless of whether that ball fell incomplete or not, we lost the game due to that piss poor decision. I'd rather those poor decisions early in the game where they have less of an affect on the outcome. But to each their own, I guess.
Not saying the TD throw to Aiyuk was a Great decision, but after watching it from both sides of the camera angles, it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be imo.

From Purdy's viewpoint you can see BA break free across the back of the endzone in the direction of clear empty space, the ball cleared both defenders as far as height. The criticism can be made that the ball should have been a little higher and a little further to the open side leading BA to the open area of the field more.

If this is Brett Favre, or Mahomes or one of many other QB greats, it doesn't even get talked about except to say how great of a throw it was.

If anything, it shows his confidence in his ability and his receivers and it's a play he will learn from.

it was a great throw but not a good decision. He got a bit lucky for sure the throw was a maybe half a second late and across the body.

I see people are saying he's bashing Brock. I don't see it that way this is how players get better you wouldn't coach that throw would you?

Again, do you think it's wise to "coach players" during press conferences with the media? This is the point we're all making.

Kyle and Brock, they're cool like that. It's a general rule to not throw across the body, late, into the middle of the field. I guarantee you Brock isn't feeling slighted by Kyle's comments.

Brock has been making those throws more and more each week. Let's go back to the back shoulder throws and less across the body to the middle of the field throws.

Brock actually did the same thing on his very first drive versus MIA when he came into the game, and the pass nearly got picked off. He's a playmaker, not a game manager. It's entertaining.

Sure its a high risk throw. Point is, why call him out in a press conference.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

I wish he just said, "yes it was a risky throw and not something we like to see in that certain situation. But it was still a great pass and catch"

It's a breath of fresh air having a QB who plays like he's got nothing to lose.

It's gonna be fun and exciting watching Kyle and Brock lead this team to success for years to come.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

I wish he just said, "yes it was a risky throw and not something we like to see in that certain situation. But it was still a great pass and catch"

Aslong as he doesn't put Brock In the "doghouse" we should be good.

He was asked about the TD and he gave an honest answer. If he said it was a great read we all would be questioning that.
The only thing I disagree with from yesterday's game was Kyle trying to get CMC the record by forcing It. It seemed risky and unnecessary Imo, especially when the Jags knew exactly what we we're trying to do.

This team would go from super bowl contend to playoff contenders should something have happened to CMC In yesterdays blowout.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Kinda bugged about Kyle's comments after the game. Why crap on Brock for one play that turned out to be a touchdown? I'm kind of not seeing the point of publicly giving him a scold. Kyle gonna kyle l guess. The genius finding fault. Unnecessary roughness.

He is just being honest. He defended Brock during those 3 losses.

He defended him, but also made it clear that he blamed the turnovers for the losses. He's just being even handed. People are way too sensitive about Brock.

Again, I think he is just being honest. Remember Kyle said Brock was the real deal this past off-season. Some Niners' fans were mad and made fun of Kyle.

"Being honest" would be for him to say he blew it on Trey and Brock saved his career. He's an ass for calling out Purdy like that, especially on a play that ended up being a touchdown.

Lol, he's not an ass for that. It was a risky throw that worked because the DB played Kittle instead of the ball. I'm stoked it all worked out, but let's not act like our QB is too sensitive to take a coaching lesson.

You teach lessons in the film room, not in public. That's the point.

It will be taught in the film room. Perhaps you're projecting your sensitivities onto Purdy, who clearly is not bothered about a coach speaking frankly about one of his obviously questionable decisions. This is such a non-issue and completely indicative of our fanbase's proclivity to make drama over nothing.

Or perhaps you're sensitive about your coach. Why can't we criticize Kyle but Purdy can be criticized? Makes no sense. No one is being sensitive. Some of us simply see Kyle's comments and pointless as classless. He just can't help himself, he's a dick.

lol, my coach? Dude, I root for the 49ers. I don't pick a favorite player or coach and then root exclusively for them while making up and trashing any perceived threat to their greatness. I've been around this board long enough to understand the patterns of certain fans and how they root more for individuals than the team.

I like Kyle because he's one of the great coaches in the game. I like Purdy because he's a budding star player. If neither Kyle or Purdy were very good, I would be first in line for a change because I don't tether myself to the success of my fan favorite.

Then why are you projecting your sensitivities onto Kyle? See how ridiculous it sounds?

No one is above criticism, Kyle included.

How am I projecting my sensitivities onto Kyle? I don't think you understand how projection works.

So if we say something bad about Kyle on Purdy's behalf, we're projecting. But if you do the opposite, all of a sudden you don't understand? Lol okay, dude.

It's just a dumb comment to say anyone is "projecting sensitivities." Veiled personal attack. We're grown men discussing football, let's keep it that way. We can disagree and criticize, doesn't mean anyone is "sensitive." That was my point.

Anyway, Kyle is an a*****e and really hates when players get individual credit over his "system." Why he passed on Mahomes and why he insults and gets upset about Purdy's off schedule plays. Deep down he knows it's what's best and he can't deny the results. But his nature is to be controlling and have his QB be a robot extension of himself. Nothing about that is a "players' coach."
oh kyle is the a*****e again lol

you got a problem with falling in love with players, seek help

Why are you being so sensitive about criticism of Kyle? Seek help.

See how dumb that sounds?
i'm not the one upset like you are trying to be, that is the largest difference. this "No you" reply doesn't help with your argument also.

I'm just pointing out the fallacy of you getting so wrapped up in our players that you need to call coaches or whoever aholes over a comment lol

it's not that serious
Share 49ersWebzone