LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 143 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Furlow:
Of course, he's not the type to show up his coach. He takes the bullet for his team and teammates as well. True leader. Kyle should take notes.

I mean, I agree with ya but at the same time, I think some of us on here have been bothered more by Kyle's comments than BP:) lol. I mean..some of the media was hard as s**t on BP at times the past couple weeks..and he came through it fine...I think he can deal with constructive criticism by Kyle. But yeah..it could have been said differently. I don't think BP is the type to just ruminate over something like that though..it's on to Tampa and how we can make them miserable again
[ Edited by Montana on Nov 13, 2023 at 11:43 AM ]
Calling a TD pass "one of the worst decisions" while in a post game presser is an insult. Not sure how many times I have to say that I agree it wasn't a "great decision," and definitely a coachable play; just in the film room and/or on the practice field.

Originally posted by Shorteous:
This is getting overblown. It's who Kyle is and it's refreshing in this day and age where everything has to be overly calculated for image sake.

Nothing ever gets overblown on the zone lolol
This is getting overblown. It's who Kyle is and it's refreshing in this day and age where everything has to be overly calculated for image sake.

Agreed. It's something over nothing. We should be more focused on the fact that we annihilated the 6-2 Jags:)
Originally posted by Montana:
I mean I agree with ya but at the same time, I think some of us on here have been bothered more by Kyle's comments than BP:) lol. I mean..some of the media was hard as s**t on BP at times the past couple weeks..and he came through it fine...I think he can deal with constructive criticism by Kyle. But yeah..it could have been said differently. I don't think BP is the type to just ruminate over something like that though..it's on to Tampa and how we can make them miserable again

'You just have to live with Brock's risky throws. You don't put up 30+ by turtling up. Sucks when it doesn't work out but what can you say'

This was a quote from another poster that Furlow said would be 10x better than what Kyle said. Couldn't disagree more. You attempt to coach that decision making out of the QB. You don't have to live with that decision making at the risk of not putting up 30 points a game, lol. It was f**king 1st down on the first drive of the game and a much better out of structure option was right there for Purdy.

He played a great game, but attempting this kind of play in this kind of situation is not going to be good for us. It doesn't mean he has to stay within the system at all times either. Not even close.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 13, 2023 at 11:44 AM ]
  • thl408

True. Everything is blown at the correct amount. Actually, I'd say some things are underblown. For example, the RT position needs more blowing - it's a real problem.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Patton:
Not saying the TD throw to Aiyuk was a Great decision, but after watching it from both sides of the camera angles, it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be imo.

From Purdy's viewpoint you can see BA break free across the back of the endzone in the direction of clear empty space, the ball cleared both defenders as far as height. The criticism can be made that the ball should have been a little higher and a little further to the open side leading BA to the open area of the field more.

If this is Brett Favre, or Mahomes or one of many other QB greats, it doesn't even get talked about except to say how great of a throw it was.

If anything, it shows his confidence in his ability and his receivers and it's a play he will learn from.

it was a great throw but not a good decision. He got a bit lucky for sure the throw was a maybe half a second late and across the body.

I see people are saying he's bashing Brock. I don't see it that way this is how players get better you wouldn't coach that throw would you?

Again, do you think it's wise to "coach players" during press conferences with the media? This is the point we're all making.

Kyle and Brock, they're cool like that. It's a general rule to not throw across the body, late, into the middle of the field. I guarantee you Brock isn't feeling slighted by Kyle's comments.

Brock has been making those throws more and more each week. Let's go back to the back shoulder throws and less across the body to the middle of the field throws.

Brock actually did the same thing on his very first drive versus MIA when he came into the game, and the pass nearly got picked off. He's a playmaker, not a game manager. It's entertaining.

Brock actually did the same thing on his very first drive versus MIA when he came into the game, and the pass nearly got picked off. He's a playmaker, not a game manager. It's entertaining.

Sure its a high risk throw. Point is, why call him out in a press conference.

He was asked about the TD and he gave an honest answer. If he said it was a great read we all would be questioning that.

"Honest." "Truth." It's as if you guys think the English language is limited and there was only one way for Kyle to answer the question. Several people have already posted much more palatable responses. Kyle is simply an a*****e and rarely passes on an opportunity to humble his QB publicly. It's what he does. If Purdy keeps playing the way he is, and wins a Super Bowl (or two or three), hopefully he starts chirping back. Hell, he's already earned the right to do that and I wish he would.

Sorry that's some soft ass s**t if you can't handle your coach saying a pass which was clearly a bad idea was a bad idea. I mean Brock is tough enough to handle it I'd suggest his fanboys to get there also

Again, this is such an intellectually lazy argument. So are you then being soft for not being able to handle criticism of Kyle? Of course not because that's a ridiculous argument, and honestly something that women do to each other. Do better.

Right lol calling Kyle an a*****e cause you can't take constructive criticism hitting the public

Calling a coach an a*****e for insulting his QB is vastly different than accusing another poster of being "soft" for their opinion of said remark. This is a forum to discuss the 49ers team, players, and coaches. So opinions on them are what should be discussed. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

Where was the insult towards Purdy?

"One of his worst decisions since he's been here" is an insult. Lol wtf. Especially on a highlight reel TD.

No it isn't.

It's an analysis or opinion of the QBs decision making on that one particular play.

An insult is calling someone an a*****e because you didn't like or agree with their analysis or opinion.

Calling a TD pass "one of the worst decisions" while in a post game presser is an insult. Not sure how many times I have to say that I agree it wasn't a "great decision," and definitely a coachable play; just in the film room and/or on the practice field.

I see Kyle's comment much more positive than you. Almost all QBs don't find instant success in the NFL, so they make so many stupid, terrible decisions on the field early in their career. It is hard for them to make one of the worst decisions after playing 10, 15 games.

If that throw by Brock is one of the worst decisions, then that is very good.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Agreed. It's something over nothing. We should be more focused on the fact that we annihilated the 6-2 Jags:)

People are just being over protective of Purdy and are probably upset because national media could use that statement against him.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Of course, he's not the type to show up his coach. He takes the bullet for his team and teammates as well. True leader. Kyle should take notes.

I mean, I agree with ya but at the same time, I think some of us on here have been bothered more by Kyle's comments than BP:) lol. I mean..some of the media was hard as s**t on BP at times the past couple weeks..and he came through it fine...I think he can deal with constructive criticism by Kyle. But yeah..it could have been said differently. I don't think BP is the type to just ruminate over something like that though..it's on to Tampa and how we can make them miserable again

Oh I don't think it will bother Purdy nor change the way he plays whatsoever. I'm not "coming to his defense" lol. Again, it's a football forum to discuss the 49ers. Kyle said something that points to an aspect of his approach and personality that I've disliked the entire time he's been our coach. I doubt it's going to change, so a QB with the moxie and confidence that Purdy has is exactly what Kyle (and we as fans) needs.

lol, exactly. I guarantee that Furlow is farm more impacted by coach's statement than Purdy is.

True. Everything is blown at the correct amount. Actually, I'd say some things are underblown. For example, the RT position needs more blowing - it's a real problem.

Is McKivitz worse than McGlinchey in terms of pass protection? I am referring to McGlinchey in the the last few seasons in SF. I don't really care how he is doing in Denver.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I mean I agree with ya but at the same time, I think some of us on here have been bothered more by Kyle's comments than BP:) lol. I mean..some of the media was hard as s**t on BP at times the past couple weeks..and he came through it fine...I think he can deal with constructive criticism by Kyle. But yeah..it could have been said differently. I don't think BP is the type to just ruminate over something like that though..it's on to Tampa and how we can make them miserable again

'You just have to live with Brock's risky throws. You don't put up 30+ by turtling up. Sucks when it doesn't work out but what can you say'

This was a quote from another poster that Furlow said would be 10x better than what Kyle said. Couldn't disagree more. You attempt to coach that decision making out of the QB. You don't have to live with that decision making at the risk of not putting up 30 points a game, lol. It was f**king 1st down on the first drive of the game and a much better out of structure option was right there for Purdy.

He played a great game, but attempting this kind of play in this kind of situation is not going to be good for us. It doesn't mean he has to stay within the system at all times either. Not even close.

I've heard this "it was 1st down" argument many times, it's weak. It's football, it's unpredictable and you never know what will happen on 2nd or 3rd down. Maybe 2nd down we get a penalty, or a sack. Now we're settling for a field goal. And we look back at that 1st down play and say "damn, why didn't Purdy look to make a play by passing? He had time. Why settle for a 5 yard scramble?" He saw an opportunity to score in the red zone, and he took it. People are acting like it was Aiyuk in the middle of 6 defenders. He wasn't, he was open. Ball could have been a bit higher and/or more to Aiyuk's left, to carry him away from the defender, but it was complete and a TD. To me the easier and more direct throw would have been to Kittle, but Kittle went to his left rather than to the corner of the end zone to his right, not sure why he did that.

Bottom line, you don't score 30+ giving up opportunities to throw TD passes on 1st down just because it's not perfect and "you have 2 more downs to try and score." That mentality gets you field goals and losses.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chance:

lol, exactly. I guarantee that Furlow is farm more impacted by coach's statement than Purdy is.

I'm not "impacted" in the slightest bit, and I don't think Purdy is either. The point is Kyle's comment was unnecessary in a presser and does nothing to add to his relationship with Purdy or his team. It's simply him stroking his own ego, which he's really good at.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Yeah, I mean it doesn't have to be "just live with the risky throws" or very critical either..a healthy middle..like what slipnslidebosa said, "I wish he just said, "yes it was a risky throw and not something we like to see in that certain situation. But it was still a great pass and catch". Keeping it simple would have been good. Idk but I am not invested in this convo anymore lol. Like..not that big of a deal. I am thinking of Tampa:)
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock admitted that the pass was a poor decision in his presser. Why is this being made into such a big deal? Poor decision, great result, big win, time to move on to the next opponent.

because it says something about shannys ego, that's why

🤣 okay. 👍
Share 49ersWebzone