There are 139 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by captveg:
Part of my point in posting it was to demonstrate that - no real discernable patterns or trends one way or another. You even have a bad 49er team win (2020) while having a good 49er team lose (2021).

Fair enough. It definitely accomplished that.

Looking back at all 49er divisional playoff games under Shanny, they typically start off pretty good but not always super dominant:

2019 - Vikings a bit tight until halftime (14-10 before scoring 13 unanswered points in the win)
2021 - Packers trailed entire game basically
2022 - Very tight against Cowboys

But looking back at these 3 in particular:

2019 - Garoppolo (and the entire team's) first playoff rodeo, minus Joe Staley....Witherspoon gave up an easy TD until replaced
2021 - This was the true wildcard Niners under Shanny....lots of great resolve, but played with injuries, cold weather Lambeau game....
2022 - Purdy's first real challenge in the NFL..... his first playoff start against Seattle was slow, now a better defense....tight game

So basically, this Saturday's game will not be the first game for these players (except the rookies).

No injuries, cold weather, or subpar QB...

Not Purdy's first NFL divisional game.

I think Championship games under Kyle tend to be slightly better played, as the team is in full playoff mode by then. Smoked the Packers in 2019, had a lead against the Rams in 2021, and I felt they competed hard against Philly up until there was nothing more they could do.

We just need to do what we do, get the W on Saturday night, then the other two teams can think about the Niners and Levi's while preparing for their matchup in Detroit.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Part of my point in posting it was to demonstrate that - no real discernable patterns or trends one way or another. You even have a bad 49er team win (2020) while having a good 49er team lose (2021).

Fair enough. It definitely accomplished that.

Looking back at all 49er divisional playoff games under Shanny, they typically start off pretty good but not always super dominant:

2019 - Vikings a bit tight until halftime (14-10 before scoring 13 unanswered points in the win)
2021 - Packers trailed entire game basically
2022 - Very tight against Cowboys

But looking back at these 3 in particular:

2019 - Garoppolo (and the entire team's) first playoff rodeo, minus Joe Staley....Witherspoon gave up an easy TD until replaced
2021 - This was the true wildcard Niners under Shanny....lots of great resolve, but played with injuries, cold weather Lambeau game....
2022 - Purdy's first real challenge in the NFL..... his first playoff start against Seattle was slow, now a better defense....tight game

So basically, this Saturday's game will not be the first game for these players (except the rookies).

No injuries, cold weather, or subpar QB...

Not Purdy's first NFL divisional game.

I think Championship games under Kyle tend to be slightly better played, as the team is in full playoff mode by then. Smoked the Packers in 2019, had a lead against the Rams in 2021, and I felt they competed hard against Philly up until there was nothing more they could do.

We just need to do what we do, get the W on Saturday night, then the other two teams can think about the Niners and Levi's while preparing for their matchup in Detroit.

Boom!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
That is the difference I saw in the game. Dallas called a horrible game. I bet Kyle will do much better.

They play a man heavy defense but suddenly went zone heavy against Green Bay and Love tore them a new one. They also acted like they had never guys go into motion before. It was bizarre to see.

One of the football talk shows flashed a stat where DAL had six defensive backs on the field in like 36 of 48 snaps. This allowed GB to run well and playaction off of that. 49ers are not stupid like DAL.

Do you think DQ adjusted this way because of how we tore them up (same scheme)?
Originally posted by NCommand:
That is the difference I saw in the game. Dallas called a horrible game. I bet Kyle will do much better.

They play a man heavy defense but suddenly went zone heavy against Green Bay and Love tore them a new one. They also acted like they had never guys go into motion before. It was bizarre to see.

One of the football talk shows flashed a stat where DAL had six defensive backs on the field in like 36 of 48 snaps. This allowed GB to run well and playaction off of that. 49ers are not stupid like DAL.

I would lean towards yes but also based on the ravens 49ers game. The ravens lined up a ton of zone and never moved pre snap. I would guess they said purdy=love and that worked once so why not try to emulate what the ravens did.

The problem is purdy == love and that scheme only worked one time mostly out of luck trying to win purdy the MVP.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I would lean towards yes but also based on the ravens 49ers game. The ravens lined up a ton of zone and never moved pre snap. I would guess they said purdy=love and that worked once so why not try to emulate what the ravens did.

The problem is purdy == love and that scheme only worked one time mostly out of luck trying to win purdy the MVP.

Gotcha. Nice response.

The Cowboys were taking the cheese all game unlike the Ravens.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 15, 2024 at 12:26 PM ]
  • Cosmo
Why do folks still lay the Falcons SB loss at Kyle's feet? He was the coordinator, but not the HC. Maybe he deserves some blame for it, but not all of it.
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
It's now or never

No, it isn't. Same was said about Kansas City and Reid in 2018.

We have a great shot to win it this year, but I don't think we're in a "now or never" state.
I feel like the Cowboys are. IMO, they've reached a ceiling with the Dak Prescott/Mike McCarthy tandem. It's kind of like, with that team and roster... what more could they do?

With our team and roster... we've switched QB's in the last year. There's certainly a lot of room for growth under Brock Purdy. The QB/Head Coach tandem is very important, and I'm very interested to see what Purdy/Shanahan can do together. Because let's be real, Shanahan calls plays very differently in the second half of games because of who his QB is.
Hypothetically... and I mean hypothetically, because I very much want to see us win the Super Bowl this year...
But what if Brock Purdy gets us to the Super Bowl, and we play the Ravens... or Chiefs... or Bills... and it's such a tight game, where the QB play is the decider... and Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen make one more play than Purdy does, and we lose because of a Purdy mistake?

I won't think "we're doomed, we'll never have another shot." It would definitely suck, but I'd be interested to see if Purdy can grow as a QB. What if he takes another step next season, is an even BETTER QB next year, and we're winning Super Bowls every year? Our starting QB is only 24 and barely has 24 starts under his belt. Definitely a lot of room for him to grow and our Super Bowl window is very much open.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 15, 2024 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
We have a great shot to win it this year, but I don't think we're in a "now or never" state.
I feel like the Cowboys are. IMO, they've reached a ceiling with the Dak Prescott/Mike McCarthy tandem. It's kind of like, with that team and roster... what more could they do?

With our team and roster... we've switched QB's in the last year. There's certainly a lot of room for growth under Brock Purdy. The QB/Head Coach tandem is very important, and I'm very interested to see what Purdy/Shanahan can do together. Because let's be real, Shanahan calls plays very differently in the second half of games because of who his QB is.
Hypothetically... and I mean hypothetically, because I very much want to see us win the Super Bowl this year...
But what if Brock Purdy gets us to the Super Bowl, and we play the Ravens... or Chiefs... or Bills... and it's such a tight game, where the QB play is the decider... and Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen make one more play than Purdy does, and we lose because of a Purdy mistake?

I won't think "we're doomed, we'll never have another shot." It would definitely suck, but I'd be interested to see if Purdy can grow as a QB. What if he takes another step next season, is an even BETTER QB next year, and we're winning Super Bowls every year? Our starting QB is only 24 and barely has 24 starts under his belt. Definitely a lot of room for him to grow and our Super Bowl window is very much open.

If Brock truly is a franchise guy the window is open for a decade +.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Agreed. Going back to my Dallas example... I really think the Cowboys are in a place of "Well... what more can we do?" because they've hit their ceiling.

For us, I don't think we're there. If we ask, "What more can we do?"
We can expect Brock Purdy to continue to grow. He had an amazing year this year, and I think it's reasonable to expect that he'll be better next year and the years to come.

Offensively, we're probably as stacked as we can be in terms of supporting cast, but I don't actually feel the same way about our defense (this year). Defensive line play feels weaker this year, but anyway... that's a whole discussion in it of itself.

The point is that Brock Purdy gives us a lot of reason for optimism.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 15, 2024 at 12:42 PM ]

Agreed. Going back to my Dallas example... I really think the Cowboys are in a place of "Well... what more can we do?" because they've hit their ceiling.

We can expect Brock Purdy to continue to grow. He had an amazing year this year, and I think it's reasonable to expect that he'll be better next year and the years to come.

Offensively, we're probably as stacked as we can be in terms of supporting cast, but I don't actually feel the same way about our defense (this year). Defensive line play feels weaker this year, but anyway... that's a whole discussion in it of itself.

Worst place you can be is paying big money for mediocre or bad play whether it be regular or post season.

Imo DL being not as great is due to how teams have been scheming against us.

Eagles last year were #1 in sacks, this year they were middle of the pack. The talent has basically been the same.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Imo DL being not as great is due to how teams have been scheming against us.

Eagles last year were #1 in sacks, this year they were middle of the pack. The talent has basically been the same.

Also Wilkes scheme is much more about force em to throw short and tackle. Doesn't lend itself to forcing qb to hold ball.

I don't think it's now or never either this year.

I do think we have scored/earned the easiest possible path to a SB win this year. Resting week 18 drawing 7 seed. Extra day of rest for nfc championship game and no burrow and cousins.

I don't think it will ever get any easier. Not that we can't win if its harder just that it will never be easier...
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Jan 15, 2024 at 3:05 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't think it's now or never either this year.

I do think we have scored/earned the easiest possible path to a SB win this year. Resting week 18 drawing 7 seed. Extra day of rest for nfc championship game and no burrow and cousins.

I don't think it will ever get any easier. Not that we can't win if its harder just that it will never be easier...

Never say never because after the first two Superbowl wins, ('81 and '84) they put a string of two more in '89 and '90 because of *one draft* the '86 draft. Now I'm not saying Kyle is going to draft next year like the '86 draft -- but what I do think is that the Superbowl window is always open if you draft well two consecutive years in a row. Winning a Superbowl is always hard, but not if you have talented players. But drafting well in 2021 (Mitchell, Banks, Hufanga) and 2022 (Purdy) has set us up for a 2023 Superbowl run today.
Share 49ersWebzone