There are 196 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
No off season for Kyle again.

Break out the, "My name is _______" stickers.

Yeah, and he is the one focusing on drafting defense. leaving the offense to his lieutenants.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Shanahan will probably make Brian Griese "OC" and Klay Kubiak QB coach.

Happy if Griese stays. He's been a great mentor to Brock.

This
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Jed perhaps? Jed said in his interview that he made a sarcastic comment when Brock was brought in for garbage time against the Chiefs two years ago.

Adam Peters was probably upset they were bringing in a young QB who could possibly challenge his boy Trey. Otherwise, why would anyone give a damn about the last pick in the draft?

Does anyone really believe this story?
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

It sounds suspect, but since it is Peter King--who is tight with John Lynch and the 49ers' organization--it's very unlikely that he's making it up.
Originally posted by Heroism:

It sounds suspect, but since it is Peter King--who is tight with John Lynch and the 49ers' organization--it's very unlikely that he's making it up.

I suspect it is being exaggerated more than made up whole cloth. I just don't imagine there being that much push back or argument over the last pick in the draft, especially since anyone they don't take with that pick is a possible option to bring in as a UDFA. We also needed another QB at the time, even if only as a developmental prospect, so the pick made sense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I'm still trying to figure it out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Shanahan will probably make Brian Griese "OC" and Klay Kubiak QB coach.

Happy if Griese stays. He's been a great mentor to Brock.

This

Kyles got to replace more coaches again. Happens every year. Dude never gets a break. Some coaches from his QB Academy might be good QC guys that can become coaches down the road.

I suspect it is being exaggerated more than made up whole cloth. I just don't imagine there being that much push back or argument over the last pick in the draft, especially since anyone they don't take with that pick is a possible option to bring in as a UDFA. We also needed another QB at the time, even if only as a developmental prospect, so the pick made sense.

King has always been a good journalist, one of the few remaining that are actually reporting facts. Every pick is valuable in the draft, at least coaches definitely see it that way.

I don't think the pick made much sense either. We still had that other QB (forgot his name) that was the 3rd string and we were already "developing" him.

I definitely understand why they would be pushback when you could at least there draft a player that can be good on special teams.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Sounds a little sus but even if true who is upset?

KS is the head coach. Only 2 people outrank him/have the right to be upset. Lynch and York.

Everyone else can put a sock in it.
Originally posted by Crown:

Sounds a little sus but even if true who is upset?

KS is the head coach. Only 2 people outrank him/have the right to be upset. Lynch and York.

Everyone else can put a sock in it.

Nobody is upset today or still questioning that decision.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Yeah seriously, you're telling me that someone was angry at Shanahan for drafting a QB with the last pick of the draft, really?
Shanahan is the boss of this Franchise. He can do whatever he wants. He has the final say on everything related to the team. If he wants a kicker in the third round, he gets a kicker in the third round.
I trust way more John Lynch who said that the reality was that they had covered every needs they had in the draft so him and Kyle decided to draft the QB they wanted to sign as UFA with the last pick. They didn't want to risk Purdy being signed by another team. End of the story.
As if Kyle would do a Joe Williams for a QB he compared to Nick Mullens after the draft, seriously.^^
I prefer trusting Lynch's version which is that Purdy was already on the Niners radar one year before because Steve Slowik was a big fan and keep talking of him to Lynch.
And then Klay Kubiak and Brian Griese said that he was the guy they should take in the later rounds in 2022.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Feb 3, 2024 at 2:42 PM ]
Adam Peters was probably upset they were bringing in a young QB who could possibly challenge his boy Trey. Otherwise, why would anyone give a damn about the last pick in the draft?

the way it sounded to me was that there were multiple position group coaches who thought there were quality players they could of grabbed that would of made more of an impact, and was needed more, than a practice squad qb (which is what they most likely thought he would be his rookie year at the time). it makes sense. lol kyle had Trey (huge investment a couple years before), Jimmy (20M a year), and Sudfeld (2M guaranteed) - a qb wasn't necessarily a "need". I'm sure it was like linebacker coach, safety, corner coach, line coach or something like that - not john lynch or jed.

btw, situations like this are EXACTLY why any good HC wants personnel control. otherwise, we most likely never draft him and are effed right now.
Share 49ersWebzone