There are 198 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Falcons offense was lights out for much of the game. I think what gets overlooked is the fact that even at halftime when the score was 21-3, the Patriots were completely dominating time of possession. They were sustaining drives but making critical mistakes and turnovers that kept points off the board. They settled down in the 2nd half and there was nothing the Falcons D could do about it.

Shanahan is taking most of the heat, but the Patriots won in large part by keeping their offense off the field for much of the game. Had the defense come up with some stops in the 2nd half, ATL would have ran away with it because they were driving easily.
Then again, if you see your defense falter, you don't do even more damage on your part.
Just my opinion that shanny should not be calling the plays right away. Let him get his feet wet with being a HC instead of putting too much on his plate right away
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
I only have 1 thing to say to Jed..
Originally posted by teylo31:
Just my opinion that shanny should not be calling the plays right away. Let him get his feet wet with being a HC instead of putting too much on his plate right away

but that's the best thing he does....
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Tim Ryan just said he reckons when is all said and done, the 9ers will switch to 4-3.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Tim Ryan just said he reckons when is all said and done, the 9ers will switch to 4-3.

I suspect they will too, but Lynch also mentioned that in today's league, you have to be a hybrid style defense. It's almost moving toward positionless, matchup oriented football. You want guys who can function in different roles and adapt to what the offense is doing.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I suspect they will too, but Lynch also mentioned that in today's league, you have to be a hybrid style defense. It's almost moving toward positionless, matchup oriented football. You want guys who can function in different roles and adapt to what the offense is doing.

...until you have a DE 20yds down the sideline covering the slot rcvr that slid out
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I watched the intro video a few times now and must ask this....

Who does Kyle Shanahan remind you of, VOICE wise?

Hint: He played for SF.

Alex Smith

Holy sh-t he DOES sound like Alex Smith.

They both have similar smirks at times (a little) too
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Per matt Miller

Mike LaFleur, Mike McDaniel and Kyle Shanahan scheming the offense in San Francisco. That's a reason for excitement, @49ers

can we at least wait and see before we get excited?

don't forget that we have no Matty Ice and Julio Jones up in here..

Don't sweat it. Soon we'll be running up 35+ points against the cawks twice a year... I imagine carroll crying in the corner somewhere
Just finished rewatching some of Jim Tomsula's introductory presser just to remind me how much better we will have it now

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Just finished rewatching some of Jim Tomsula's introductory presser just to remind me how much better we will have it now
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Need the one with food it's way better
I found this video on YouTube. This guy did a breakdown of the Kyle Shanahan and Matt Ryan's 99 yd drive vs Seahawks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq-k5BKr0R8
Originally posted by dj43:
The true value of KS will be in what he brings and what he has learned, particularly in this playoff run, and how he applies it to the future.

The SB loss will be bitter for a long time. Should not have happened. Numerous reasons why it did, and one of them, much discussed, is Kyle's play calling at the end of the SB game. Those were not good but I believe he may look back and realize he made an even bigger mistake in the plays he called in the Green Bay game. Here is my point:

By the middle of the second quarter in the SB, Belichick had not only been adjusting to calls in that game, but had already taken away some of the stuff that worked well in the Green Bay game. In the GB game, I read that Kyle went through 27 plays at the beginning of the game before he repeated the same alignment/play calls. Everything was different. It was like he was the king of the palace showing off all his wealth to the visitors. The result was that Belichick had a great amount of film on the diversity of Kyle's offense. As a result, there was little Atlanta brought that NE staff had not already seen and prepared for. Yes, the Falcons jumped up to a big lead but 7 points were from the defense. The offense did not even come close to their 30+ point average from the regular season. NE was shutting down a lot of the stuff that worked against Green Bay. Much of the offensive success was due to spectacular individual effort rather than creating confusion in NE.

A cardinal rule in poker is; don't show any more of your cards than you must in order to win the hand. Kyle violated that rule. He showed his entire hand, or at least a great deal of it, in the Green Bay game. The result was that Belichick knew exactly what he had to do to win before the game ever started.

Bill Walsh recalled how he always saved plays for times where the game hung in the balance. In the case of certain new plays, he would save them for 4 or 5 games before he used them. One of the key plays in the Catch game was a run play they had never run before. It took Dallas by surprise and the rest is history.

So, if Kyle has not already done so, I hope he looks back at the entire run to see what he can learn. He has a very creative mind and I hope he uses it to learn how to be a better poker player at the big table.

You dont hold s**t back in the playoffs. Also I doubt they used plays against GB that they hadnt already put on film. I think you are way off base with this angle.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Still in a game in the 4th? Wonder what that feels like.
Share 49ersWebzone