LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 129 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
This guy is clearly not perfect… they've gone to the nfc championship game 4 times and has ZERO super bowls to show for it. The guy just doesn't perform in the bright lights. It happened to the bills in the 90s and happening now to the niners. It's fine to criticize Shanahan.

lol the Bills comparison?

Talk to me when we lose to a Jeff Hostetler or Mark Rypien type of QB.

We lost close games to Patrick Mahomes and Matt Stafford led teams and then another one where we finished with no QB who could throw…clearly Kyle Shanahan blowing it.

It's ok to criticize him but just make it rational.

His playcalling is abysmal when the games are close. He gets conservative and any play caller that has any creativity and balls to be a little more aggressive, will have a great chance to beat a Shanahan lead team. They almost lost to a weaker packers team with a million all pros.

and I compare him to the bills of the 90s because I don't have another comparison for a head coach losing so many huge games in a short timespan. The reason they didn't lose to the lions is because Brock's legs carried them not Shanahans genius playcalling. This season could have been way more of a disaster than it ended up being… not a lot of head coaches have lost multiple super bowls without winning one. So yes, Kyle is in rarified air from that standpoint.
They lost to the Lions because Dan Campbell chose not to kick the field goal to go up 17 points in 3rd quarter which gave 49'ers life and momentum.
[ Edited by ninerfaninnorcal on Mar 10, 2024 at 5:29 PM ]
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
They didn't lose to the Lions because Dan Campbell chose not to kick the field goal to go up 17 points in 3rd quarter which gave 49'ers life and momentum.

You'd have to be foolish to give Kyle any sort of credit for that Detroit game. Dan Campbell s**t his pants twice in crucial moments, and Brock pretty much tossed out the playbook and went Vick for a few plays. I guess we should have him some claps for helping with that final drive vs GB, if we can ignore the other 55 minutes where he felt Brock's hands in rainy weather would be the game clincher.

And the SB not even worth dissecting. He f**ked up, there's no way around it except some ppl will put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the players.
Kyle kept the team focused on the next goal ahead in the Lions game. Of course he gets credit for his part in the Lions win. This idea that Kyle has accomplished nothing or that he is always making the wrong call is just plain idiotic, and frankly it's reached the point of unhealthy obsession. Go see a movie or take a walk outside or read a novel already.
Originally posted by captveg:
Kyle kept the team focused on the next goal ahead in the Lions game. Of course he gets credit for his part in the Lions win. This idea that Kyle has accomplished nothing or that he is always making the wrong call is just plain idiotic, and frankly it's reached the point of unhealthy obsession. Go see a movie or take a walk outside or read a novel already.

That's not going to stop sports media and fans from pushing this narrative. It comes with the territory of being associated with several high profile choke jobs without any hardware to make up for it.
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Mar 10, 2024 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

WHO said he's accomplished nothing???
His playcalling is abysmal when the games are close. He gets conservative and any play caller that has any creativity and balls to be a little more aggressive, will have a great chance to beat a Shanahan lead team. They almost lost to a weaker packers team with a million all pros.

and I compare him to the bills of the 90s because I don't have another comparison for a head coach losing so many huge games in a short timespan. The reason they didn't lose to the lions is because Brock's legs carried them not Shanahans genius playcalling. This season could have been way more of a disaster than it ended up being… not a lot of head coaches have lost multiple super bowls without winning one. So yes, Kyle is in rarified air from that standpoint.

Not a lot of coaches go to multiple Super Bowls period. I can't think of any who have done it in the last 30 years without an elite QB (maybe Pete I guess*)

It's weird to see him described as overly conservative while being simultaneously criticized for not running the ball enough, especially on early downs in a series. Coaches who pound the ball, especially into heavy fronts, are generally viewed as conservative.

Was it conservative when he went on 4th and 3 down 3 against the Chiefs deep in their territory? The math would have indicated the correct choice was to attempt the game tying field goal.

I think he's conservative when it comes to clock management, and prior to Purdy taking over was also conservative on 4th and shorts in opposing territory. Not so much since.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 10, 2024 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
They didn't lose to the Lions because Dan Campbell chose not to kick the field goal to go up 17 points in 3rd quarter which gave 49'ers life and momentum.

You'd have to be foolish to give Kyle any sort of credit for that Detroit game. Dan Campbell s**t his pants twice in crucial moments, and Brock pretty much tossed out the playbook and went Vick for a few plays. I guess we should have him some claps for helping with that final drive vs GB, if we can ignore the other 55 minutes where he felt Brock's hands in rainy weather would be the game clincher.

And the SB not even worth dissecting. He f**ked up, there's no way around it except some ppl will put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the players.

If Saleh or Ryan's were the DC in place of Wilks, Detroit probably doesn't come close to 24 first half points.

But you aren't going to talk about our defense in the first half of that game because that doesn't fit your silly little anti Kyle narrative.
Originally posted by genus49:
This guy is clearly not perfect… they've gone to the nfc championship game 4 times and has ZERO super bowls to show for it. The guy just doesn't perform in the bright lights. It happened to the bills in the 90s and happening now to the niners. It's fine to criticize Shanahan.

lol the Bills comparison?

Talk to me when we lose to a Jeff Hostetler or Mark Rypien type of QB.

We lost close games to Patrick Mahomes and Matt Stafford led teams and then another one where we finished with no QB who could throw…clearly Kyle Shanahan blowing it.

It's ok to criticize him but just make it rational.

"They almost lost to a weaker packers team with a million all pros."

" LOL. One could turn that around and say they almost won against the best QB of a generation. Maybe you will step up to the mike and claim that Marv Levy was trash as a head coach. I mean he lost four consecutive SB's. Never heard any commentators say that though. Wonder why? It's because it takes tons of luck and skill and good breaks to get to that game, let alone win it. There is no coach out there that will come here and do a better job than Kyle is doing ATM. This wacko push to vilify KS is laughable, if it weren't so idiotic.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Not a lot of coaches go to multiple Super Bowls period. I can't think of any who have done it in the last 30 years without an elite QB (maybe Pete I guess*)

It's weird to see him described as overly conservative while being simultaneously criticized for not running the ball enough, especially on early downs in a series. Coaches who pound the ball, especially into heavy fronts, are generally viewed as conservative.

Was it conservative when he went on 4th and 3 down 3 against the Chiefs deep in their territory? The math would have indicated the correct choice was to attempt the game tying field goal.

I think he's conservative when it comes to clock management, and prior to Purdy taking over was also conservative on 4th and shorts in opposing territory. Not so much since.

Just to follow up here. Coaches who have made multiple SB appearances with a single team since 1989:

Seifert
Levy
Johnson
Cowher
Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Belichick
Tomlin
Carroll
McVay
Reid
Kyle Shanahan

You can add in Parcells if you want to allow for coaches who have been more than 1 time with more than 1 team. Can also add in Gibbs and Reeves who had 1 appearance each in the 90s, but also had at least one appearance in the 80s.

Coaches who have been to 4+ conference title games with a single team since 89:

Seifert
Levy
Cowher
Belichick
Reid (twice with two different teams)
John Harbaugh
Kyle Shanahan

You can add in Holmgren if you want to allow for coaches who have been to 4+ with more than one team.

Pretty good company. I may have missed somebody… did it from memory.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 10, 2024 at 5:42 PM ]

• DrEll
  • Veteran

Just to follow up here. Coaches who have made multiple SB appearances with a single team since 1989:

Seifert
Levy
Johnson
Cowher
Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Belichick
Tomlin
Carroll
McVay
Reid
Kyle Shanahan

You can add in Parcells if you want to allow for coaches who have been more than 1 time with more than 1 team. Can also add in Gibbs and Reeves who had 1 appearance each in the 90s, but also had at least one appearance in the 80s.

Seifert
Levy
Cowher
Belichick
John Harbaugh
Kyle Shanahan

You can add in Holmgren if you want to allow for coaches who have been to 4+ with more than one team.

Levy and Shanahan stick out for all the wrong reasons

What exactly are we celebrating here ?
Originally posted by DrEll:

Seifert
Levy
Johnson
Cowher
Holmgren
Mike Shanahan
Belichick
Tomlin
Carroll
McVay
Reid
Kyle Shanahan

Seifert
Levy
Cowher
Belichick
John Harbaugh
Kyle Shanahan

Levy and Shanahan stick out for all the wrong reasons

What exactly are we celebrating here ?

Only the obvious
Andy Reid once lost 4 straight years in the CF/ SB then lost 2 more times in KC before finally winning it all.

People just need to be patient and understand that it's not 1980 anymore. Everyone is pretty even due to the salary cap/ free agency and winning it all requires some breaks or Brady/ Mahomes and the refs giving you breaks.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Andy Reid once lost 4 straight years in the CF/ SB then lost 2 more times in KC before finally winning it all.

People just need to be patient and understand that it's not 1980 anymore. Everyone is pretty even due to the salary cap/ free agency and winning it all requires some breaks or Brady/ Mahomes and the refs giving you breaks.

FWIW that is not the norm.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

FWIW that is not the norm.

I struggle with the Reid comp cuz if you follow it thru, Reid left PHI, with no rings. And PHI won without Reid. Not sure why ppl keep trotting it out. Better comp is McVay, who went to a SB with Goff, then with Stafford. Course, with his upgraded QB, McVay won his SB. Shanny lost his. But in terms of tree, style, type of O, I see more in common with McVay here.
Share 49ersWebzone