George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 190 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DrEll:
Hopefully he brings 1 in the next 25

That would be 1 more than we've gotten since 1994 with 7 different other coaches.
Originally posted by genus49:
The whole thing about Kyle choking in big games is the silly fact that the guy has never coached a team who didn't win at LEAST 2 playoff games every year they made the post season.

We can pick apart the issues from the games they finally did lose and yes, it sucks and realistically we should've won 3 out of the 4...not much any HC could've done in that Eagles game.

But I had a conversation with someone the other day who was pumping up the Packers Championships from pre SB era. Vince Lombardi is a legend and there's a reason the trophy is named after him but 4 out of his first 5 "Championship" seasons he had to win 2 or less playoff games to get the Championship. Only his last one in SB II did he have to win 3.

Every playoff game is a big game. You lose any of them and you're not winning the whole thing. There are coaches like McCarthy who have had so many games where their teams completely underperformed and he made back breaking calls that lost them the game but he won a SB on the back of Aaron Rodgers so he's considered by some as a better HC than Kyle and Kyle is a choker who can't win the "big one"

It's just a stupid narrative. It's 1 game in the NFL. Any given Sunday applies. Until I see Shanahan losing games against teams with inferior QBs in the postseason or actually doing stupid playcalling decisions which kill our ability to win the game I still think this team is in great hands. It doesn't mean Kyle is perfect...for instance he HAS to realize the OL needs to be a priority to protect Brock but as I said in another post, every time we've lost a game he's looked to correct the key reason behind it.

To me it's about what makes the team best, or gives the best SB win odds. You can drop Shanny in the SB next year, spot him a 10 pt lead vs Mahomes, and it's a decent bet he will lose. KC doesn't fear Shanny none of those guys do, now with Belichick, Vrabel and Shanny as OC well ok, now KC may have a problem here.. course Shanny wouldn't stick around to be OC, but it's a hypothetical if you allow it
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The whole thing about Kyle choking in big games is the silly fact that the guy has never coached a team who didn't win at LEAST 2 playoff games every year they made the post season.

We can pick apart the issues from the games they finally did lose and yes, it sucks and realistically we should've won 3 out of the 4...not much any HC could've done in that Eagles game.

But I had a conversation with someone the other day who was pumping up the Packers Championships from pre SB era. Vince Lombardi is a legend and there's a reason the trophy is named after him but 4 out of his first 5 "Championship" seasons he had to win 2 or less playoff games to get the Championship. Only his last one in SB II did he have to win 3.

Every playoff game is a big game. You lose any of them and you're not winning the whole thing. There are coaches like McCarthy who have had so many games where their teams completely underperformed and he made back breaking calls that lost them the game but he won a SB on the back of Aaron Rodgers so he's considered by some as a better HC than Kyle and Kyle is a choker who can't win the "big one"

It's just a stupid narrative. It's 1 game in the NFL. Any given Sunday applies. Until I see Shanahan losing games against teams with inferior QBs in the postseason or actually doing stupid playcalling decisions which kill our ability to win the game I still think this team is in great hands. It doesn't mean Kyle is perfect...for instance he HAS to realize the OL needs to be a priority to protect Brock but as I said in another post, every time we've lost a game he's looked to correct the key reason behind it.

To me it's about what makes the team best, or gives the best SB win odds. You can drop Shanny in the SB next year, spot him a 10 pt lead vs Mahomes, and it's a decent bet he will lose. KC doesn't fear Shanny none of those guys do, now with Belichick, Vrabel and Shanny as OC well ok, now KC may have a problem here.. course Shanny wouldn't stick around to be OC, but it's a hypothetical if you allow it

Yes because Vrabel has proven he can win late playoff games as a coach.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Hopefully he brings 1 in the next 25

That would be 1 more than we've gotten since 1994 with 7 different other coaches.

Not the measuring stick we should be going by…
Originally posted by lamontb:
I haven't seen genus this fired up since the Soloman Thomas days

Since week 1 CHI and Trey Lance, he got me going with those posts talking about how great Lance was that day

I've been posting here since the Andre Carter draft and a fan long before that...I've seen our fair share of terrible teams and coaches who make them that way. That's why I think it's stupid to blame everything on a HC who has us playing some of our best football since Seifert's teams.

Know the difference between Seifert and Shanahan? Seifert didn't build his teams, didn't have to worry about the salary cap and had Joe Montana and Steve Young as his QBs.

We finally have a QB worth being excited about under Shanahan and some of you guys are ready for the next HC to put us over the hump.

None of those guys do...who are none of those guys? Who does KC fear? Tom Brady? He seems to be the only one stopping them. Maybe we can get him as HC?

Zach Taylor must scare KC right?
Originally posted by lamontb:
I haven't seen genus this fired up since the Soloman Thomas days

Since week 1 CHI and Trey Lance, he got me going with those posts talking about how great Lance was that day

I've been posting here since the Andre Carter draft and a fan long before that...I've seen our fair share of terrible teams and coaches who make them that way. That's why I think it's stupid to blame everything on a HC who has us playing some of our best football since Seifert's teams.

Know the difference between Seifert and Shanahan? Seifert didn't build his teams, didn't have to worry about the salary cap and had Joe Montana and Steve Young as his QBs.

We finally have a QB worth being excited about under Shanahan and some of you guys are ready for the next HC to put us over the hump.

Seifert wasn't my favorite and deserved to get fired, which he was
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Kyle would probably also lose 4-1 a 7-game series against a team like KC.
Originally posted by Koldo:

How about a team like the Eagles? How about a team like the Rams? How about a team like the Bengals?

KC won 3 SBs in 4 years. They've been to 4 SBs in the last 5 years and have been to the AFCCG ever since Patrick Mahomes became their starting QB.

They go 4-1 or even 4-0 vs a number of coaches and teams with Mahomes.
How about a team like the Eagles? How about a team like the Rams? How about a team like the Bengals?

KC won 3 SBs in 4 years. They've been to 4 SBs in the last 5 years and have been to the AFCCG ever since Patrick Mahomes became their starting QB.

Reality is we did pretty darn good vs Mahomes, in both SBs. We've picked him 3 times in 2 games. What let us down in my view, is Spags > Shanny 2x now. The O lurches and can't get the yds and points when they need em. 20 pts in regulation, then 19 pts. Can we talk about why couldn't we run on KC? Why did CMC have such low YPC? Our longest rush was 11 yds. Why do we praise Shanny when the O works, and blame the players, when it doesn't? Did we not have the personnel to give KC fits with our rush attack? HOF LT and HOF RB wasn't enough? With a PB every year FB? QB getting MVP votes, and on it goes. Where went the production when we needed it most?

And 2 of those Super Bowl wins are due to the 49ers inability to close the deal due to a multitude of reasons when they were clearly in the driver's seat, those loses had more to do with what the 49ers didn't do and some bad luck than anything the Chiefs did.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
And 2 of those Super Bowl wins are due to the 49ers inability to close the deal due to a multitude of reasons when they were clearly in the driver's seat, those loses had more to do with what the 49ers didn't do and some bad luck than anything the Chiefs did.

Saying we had driver's seat positions in SBs and found our way to the L is hardly a defense of Shanny, that's what we have been pointing out. It doesn't inspire optimism should we face KC again in the SB, and it takes a mountain of work and luck just to get that deep into the season..
Originally posted by DaleGribble:

That's typically the case when a team loses close games.

The point was people want to overlook all of the other playoff wins we've had under Kyle Shanahan with a roster he helped build and act like he's holding the team back.

Neither loss saw coaching malpractice some make it out to be. Plays were there to be made. They were not made or Chris Jones happened or the refs turned a blind eye on things.

Those things are not controlled by a HC. That's how narratives fall - one small thing changes and Shanahan has a SB win under his belt. They don't and here we are now acting like losing earlier in the playoffs is better.

Andy Reid found his QB and didn't make the SB in that QBs 2nd season in the NFL. Maybe let's see how Kyle builds around Purdy first before we look to get rid of him?
As of today, 49'ers and Chiefs still tied as super bowl favorites
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
As of today, 49'ers and Chiefs still tied as super bowl favorites

I'll be rooting against KC every game, so they don't get the threepeat
Share 49ersWebzone