LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 241 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Man the Kyle disciples are out in full force 😂
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Well it is a 49ers message board. Most of us are 49er fans.

Anyone looking to get rid of Kyle must not be one because you get rid of him and there is a major trickle down effect on the coaching staff and roster.

This is why I find this conversation fascinating. I acknowledge there are flaws with Kyle and things I hope and pray he improves on or learns from but some of you guys are so black and white it's pathetic.

Shanahan hasn't won a SB therefore he will never win a SB. Anyone who disagrees or feels the blame is more on other parts of the team and lesser ones on Kyle is apparently a Kyle disciple or Kyle worshiper or whatever other stupid wording you guys want to use.

I still haven't seen a single serious response showing how Kyle should get the majority of the blame for those losses. The closest one would be the Rams game where he elected to punt the ball vs going on it for 4th and 1…but even then we're nitpicking like crazy using hindsight considering it was 2nd and 1 and the team couldn't pick up the first down on 2 attempts.

What did Kyle do after that game btw? He drafted power back in the 3rd round - much to everyone's horror and clearly an overreaction that wasn't a good one.

So sitting back can people honestly say he's not trying to learn from his mistakes? People will give coaches like Mike McCarthy more credit since he won a SB with a future first ballot HOFer and has looked like ass in the playoffs ever since but Kyle is the one who should be replaced.

Now if Kyle ever lets the 7th seed come to Levi's as we get completely worked as the #2 seed then let's get those pitchforks out. Or if we go into games and the playcalling is just completely terrible and not giving our guys the answers.

This is a QB driven league now. We lost to Patrick Mahomes twice and Matt Stafford on a super team.

I remember a time when we ran the ball just to kill clock despite the other team giving us nothing. We lost the game we shouldn't have and Mariucci lost his job. Sometimes double digit leads mean the coaching did their job and got the team ready to play. Lack of execution on plays there to be made scheme wise or the ability of the other team to have their stud players make big plays doesn't mean the losing HC choked all the time.

But I realize some of you don't like to listen to logic and it's easier to live in the simplicity of "he didn't win one therefore he will never win one"
Originally posted by genus49:
What did Kyle do after that game btw? He drafted power back in the 3rd round - much to everyone's horror and clearly an overreaction that wasn't a good one.

So sitting back can people honestly say he's not trying to learn from his mistakes?
So your argument saying that Kyle does learn from his mistakes, you are using drafting TDP as an example ? I think it's a pretty poor example.
Especially considering that continuously overdrafting mediocre RBs in these third/fourth rounds was a mistake in the first place. And we still don't have a short-yardage back. When its 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, the play we run the most ? QB sneak.

The rest of your post I can see and understand. But Kyle hasnt shown that he learns from his mistakes, imo.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
So your argument saying that Kyle does learn from his mistakes, you are using drafting TDP as an example ? I think it's a pretty poor example.
Especially considering that continuously overdrafting mediocre RBs in these third/fourth rounds was a mistake in the first place. And we still don't have a short-yardage back. When its 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, the play we run the most ? QB sneak.

The rest of your post I can see and understand. But Kyle hasnt shown that he learns from his mistakes, imo.

Were* we bad in short yardage situations over this past season? Pretty sure we were one of the best.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 24, 2024 at 6:51 PM ]

Rather be called a homer than a moron
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Were* we bad in short yardage situations over this past season? Pretty sure we were one of the best.

did my post say we're bad in these situations ? I said we don't have a short yardage back...on third/fourth and short, QB sneak is by far the most used play
did my post say we're bad in these situations ? I said we don't have a short yardage back...on third/fourth and short, QB sneak is by far the most used play

Right, and it was said in the context of a discussion about Kyle not learning from his mistakes, and with the idea that we don't have a player specifically for situations we do very well in without the player. It's not like we used a mid round pick on a RB last year.
Let me expand on this here:

in order to say Kyle has learned from his mistakes (or that he hasn't, whichever you believe), one needs the following:

1. Description of a mistake and why
2. Was a mistake identified as such by Kyle ? Kyle is very defensive and almost never admits mistakes publicly
3. Was the mistake addressed in a way that it hasn't before ?
4. Was the addressed mistake in #3 directly because of it being a mistake ? Ie, correlation does not imply causation

With the lack of short-yardage back, if we assume it's one of Kyle's mistakes (I'm not too sure it is, definitely a lot of other mistakes are far more egregious in my opinion) I don't see any real attempt to resolve it. Kyle drafted TDP in the third round, reaching for him, valuing him a lot higher than almost any draft expert and any NFL team. This was in line in his previous mistakes of reaching for RBs in 3rd and fourth rounds, even though everyone says if there's a UDFA RB that can be productive, it's in Kyle's system.

After TDP ended up as a bust and they have traded for CMC, the team still does not really have a short-yardage back. CMC wasnt automatic on 3rd/4th down and short iirc.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Right, and it was said in the context of a discussion about Kyle not learning from his mistakes, and with the idea that we don't have a player specifically for situations we do very well in without the player. It's not like we used a mid round pick on a RB last year.

If I were to use your logic, I'd arrive to a weird conclusion that Kyle learned a lot from the Trey Lance debacle because he selected Brock Purdy in the seventh round and the Niners have had good QB play with Brock. But that clearly isn't the case, logically speaking - the Trey Lance tradeup and pick was a horrible mistake. Well, except for one thing - Kyle did learn to clean house from the previous QB, and I'll give him props for that.
If I were to use your logic, I'd arrive to a weird conclusion that Kyle learned a lot from the Trey Lance debacle because he selected Brock Purdy in the seventh round and the Niners have had good QB play with Brock. But that clearly isn't the case, logically speaking - the Trey Lance tradeup and pick was a horrible mistake. Well, except for one thing - Kyle did learn to clean house from the previous QB, and I'll give him props for that.

I'm not using logic. I'm pointing out actual facts:

We weren't bad in short yardage situations last season.
We didn't waste a mid round pick on a rb last offseason.

Agree with you that Kyle showed growth and adaptability after making multiple mistakes around the selection and use of Lance.

He's also shown improvement in decision making on 4th and short situations after being one of the most conservative coaches in those situations for multiple years here. Granted he had to work miracles with Jimmy G and low round/undrafted RBs in that period. The new found aggression/trust probably has something to do with upgrading at both QB and RB.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
There is a good summation of why we feel the way we do about Kyle written By Adam Gretz today. Its simple. He comes up short over and over and over and over. It's his record. It's fact. It's what we have now come to expect. The guys in here who support him blindly and continue to threaten fans with the myth of returning to tomsula days if he is ousted can't walk away from his post season choking. It's his record. Best predictor of future performance is past performance. The king of choke is not something you can dismiss with a handful of early round playoff wins. His regular season record is also not a remedy for chronic big game chokites. Dismissing his record or even defending it demonstrates your blindness and your lack of seeing things for what they truly are. Your takes are at best cultish. Kyle can do no wrong in your eyes. Keep following him but don't confuse loyalty with blind faith.. Your great Kyle is still 0-3 in superbowls. He still has a record of blowing 10 point leads in the post season. Nothing you say wipes that clean. Nothing. Stop attacking his critics and look at the situation for what it is.

Actually if you listen to real sports media or even 49ers media, majority of pundits agree with you. Baffling that the fans on this site see it complete opposite. Pretty sure everyone I've listened to post SB has blamed Kyle for coming up short again. Not here though. Fans will give you a laundry list of why the Niners lost twice in the SBs, and Kyle seems to be at the bottom of the list both times. Kind of comical to read some of the spin though. Especially the "if we fire Kyle, Dennis Erickson will come out of retirement and become our next coach" BS.
Originally posted by genus49:

Well it is a 49ers message board. Most of us are 49er fans.

Anyone looking to get rid of Kyle must not be one because you get rid of him and there is a major trickle down effect on the coaching staff and roster.

This is why I find this conversation fascinating. I acknowledge there are flaws with Kyle and things I hope and pray he improves on or learns from but some of you guys are so black and white it's pathetic.

Shanahan hasn't won a SB therefore he will never win a SB. Anyone who disagrees or feels the blame is more on other parts of the team and lesser ones on Kyle is apparently a Kyle disciple or Kyle worshiper or whatever other stupid wording you guys want to use.

I still haven't seen a single serious response showing how Kyle should get the majority of the blame for those losses. The closest one would be the Rams game where he elected to punt the ball vs going on it for 4th and 1…but even then we're nitpicking like crazy using hindsight considering it was 2nd and 1 and the team couldn't pick up the first down on 2 attempts.

So sitting back can people honestly say he's not trying to learn from his mistakes? People will give coaches like Mike McCarthy more credit since he won a SB with a future first ballot HOFer and has looked like ass in the playoffs ever since but Kyle is the one who should be replaced.

Now if Kyle ever lets the 7th seed come to Levi's as we get completely worked as the #2 seed then let's get those pitchforks out. Or if we go into games and the playcalling is just completely terrible and not giving our guys the answers.

This is a QB driven league now. We lost to Patrick Mahomes twice and Matt Stafford on a super team.

I remember a time when we ran the ball just to kill clock despite the other team giving us nothing. We lost the game we shouldn't have and Mariucci lost his job. Sometimes double digit leads mean the coaching did their job and got the team ready to play. Lack of execution on plays there to be made scheme wise or the ability of the other team to have their stud players make big plays doesn't mean the losing HC choked all the time.

But I realize some of you don't like to listen to logic and it's easier to live in the simplicity of "he didn't win one therefore he will never win one"

I agree with you on not firing Kyle, but he's the head coach. It's always on him and his resume is getting longer and longer with the same result so the voices of discontent will get louder with each passing year.

I'm not saying it's fair, but that's how it is. If you think I'm wrong then explain why Bill Belicheck is no longer the head coach of the patriots.
IMHO - How Shanahan was Outcoached by KC Andy Reid in the Superbowl:

1. The OC game plan was too heavy on the receiver focused drop back passing game - it was clear the deeper receiver routes weren't getting open against the KC defensive backs -- and the 9ers right side OL wasn't holding up enough either, making Purdy hold onto the ball and move in the pocket to wait for open routes. I was hoping they would adjust with quicker TE and RB routes, but that didn't materialize either. Indicating to me, they hadn't anticipated and developed that part of the game plan enough. That's on the Coach.

2. KC game planned the Mahomes runs when they needed it most. A.) Shanahan could have done the same thing with Purdy - some designed runs to convert 3rd or 4th downs -- but failed to be creative enough to do it. And B.) the defense failed to anticipate this -- even after the 1st critical Mahomes run the defense either didn't call, or the DE failed to play, backside contain of a Mahomes run.

To me, those are critical coaching mistakes. The other failures in the game were imho player execution mistakes. Some people blame coaches for failing to prepare the players enough, but again, imho if the play calls seems right, but the players fail to execute, that is on the players.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by HearstFan on Mar 24, 2024 at 11:01 PM ]
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
IMHO - How Shanahan was Outcoached by KC Andy Reid in the Superbowl:

1. The OC game plan was too heavy on the receiver focused drop back passing game - it was clear the deeper receiver routes weren't getting open against the KC defensive backs -- and the 9ers right side OL wasn't holding up enough either, making Purdy hold onto the ball and move in the pocket to wait for open routes. I was hoping they would adjust with quicker TE and RB routes, but that didn't materialize either. Indicating to me, they hadn't anticipated and developed that part of the game plan enough. That's on the Coach.

2. KC game planned the Mahomes runs when they needed it most. A.) Shanahan could have done the same thing with Purdy - some designed runs to convert 3rd or 4th downs -- but failed to be creative enough to do it. And B.) the defense failed to anticipate this -- even after the 1st critical Mahomes run the defense either didn't call, or the DE failed to play, backside contain of a Mahomes run.

To me, those are critical coaching mistakes. The other failures in the game were imho player execution mistakes. Some people blame coaches for failing to prepare the players enough, but again, imho if the play calls seems right, but the players fail to execute, that is on the players.

Thoughts?

Let me summarize the narrative you're about to hear….

Kyle's playcalling got us 22 points against arguably the best defense in the league. Kyle's offense consistently ranked or ranks as tops in the league year in and year out. Kyle Shanahan is one of the best coaches in the league, and any other considered option would automatically bring back the Jim Tomsula era. Player X is the real reason we lost. Player execution is the real reason we lost. You have no idea how big an impact Greenlaw's injury was. Wilks sucks and cost us the game. Moody sucks and cost us the game. Mahomes is too good no one can beat him. We can't close twice to beating the best quarterback of all time, that should count for something.

Oh, and….dont say anything about Kyle, you [fill in adjective]….

The crying on both sides
Share 49ersWebzone