LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 157 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
what's the clear evidence?

Having two 50/50 losses against them in the Super Bowl would be a pretty good indication. Carrying an average QB at best to multiple years of contention, and another season and a half with a smart but also limited 7th round QB.

Kyle's pretty good man, lol.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Having two 50/50 losses against them in the Super Bowl would be a pretty good indication. Carrying an average QB at best to multiple years of contention, and another season and a half with a smart but also limited 7th round QB.

Again you whiff on the debate. The question is, Is he good in Super Bowls? Is he winning a ring here?

I posted the film breakdown, we got outcoached. Our guys, by their own admission, were not prepared for the biggest moment of the season.

losses as evidence, oh boyy
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 23, 2024 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Getting the W isn't about matching wits with Spags or Mahomes. This isn't a VR game where if Kyle thinks it, it happens as he sees it. It's not chess where you move the pieces.

It's football. Coaches design the game plan, call the plays but need the players to execute them. Despite the flaws Kyle displayed in the game we have clear evidence that he can match wits with those guys. The plays are there to be made even if we can disagree if designing some of those plays to Aiyuk vs Deebo would've produced better results.

The results were there to be had. The execution wasn't there. The execution was there for Reid/Spags. That's how it goes sometimes.

You'd have a point if the bulk of the failed plays were schematic problems or not open if the OL holds up...or in some cases simply get in the way or try to block defenders.

It's called game film.

I challenge you to find a key play in that game where the play call was just flat out doomed from the start despite solid OL blocking.
Getting the W isn't about matching wits with Spags or Mahomes. This isn't a VR game where if Kyle thinks it, it happens as he sees it. It's not chess where you move the pieces.

It's football. Coaches design the game plan, call the plays but need the players to execute them. Despite the flaws Kyle displayed in the game we have clear evidence that he can match wits with those guys. The plays are there to be made even if we can disagree if designing some of those plays to Aiyuk vs Deebo would've produced better results.

The results were there to be had. The execution wasn't there. The execution was there for Reid/Spags. That's how it goes sometimes.

You'd have a point if the bulk of the failed plays were schematic problems or not open if the OL holds up...or in some cases simply get in the way or try to block defenders.

It's called game film.

I challenge you to find a key play in that game where the play call was just flat out doomed from the start despite solid OL blocking.

I posted the film, did you watch the Alex Rollins?

Rollins, JTO, Schwartz, they all get into the issues with pass pro, and the drop back game, from a scheme x's and o's pov

or why are 2 WRs getting clamped all game, that's another one, I read pieces about how the days of the shutdown corner are over, and now we have two of them in the SB, the theory is they had a plan (which worked), and notice we had no counter, now you can ask yourself if healthy CMC, Trent, Deebo, BA, Kittle, Brock gave Shanny the ammo to come up with a counter or not
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 23, 2024 at 10:22 AM ]

Again you whiff on the debate. The question is, Is he good in Super Bowls? Is he winning a ring here?

I posted the film breakdown, we got outcoached. Our guys, by their own admission, were not prepared for the biggest moment of the season.

BS. The only thing we weren't prepared for wasn't on Kyle - that was accounting for the possibility of Mahomes keeping the ball on a 4th and 1 call.

The guys not realizing the new OT rules were in place made ZERO impact on the game. You've been called out for this ridiculous notion in the past and you've ran away from it every time citing hindsight garbage, what if scenarios and the Chiefs laughing about us taking the ball as if somehow OT football had different rules where our players didn't try as hard as they would had they been grilled about the new rules for hours.
BS. The only thing we weren't prepared for wasn't on Kyle - that was accounting for the possibility of Mahomes keeping the ball on a 4th and 1 call.

The guys not realizing the new OT rules were in place made ZERO impact on the game. You've been called out for this ridiculous notion in the past and you've ran away from it every time citing hindsight garbage, what if scenarios and the Chiefs laughing about us taking the ball as if somehow OT football had different rules where our players didn't try as hard as they would had they been grilled about the new rules for hours.

this is all deflection, can we at once agree, that it is better to have guys drilled and prepared, than unprepared and finding out info on the fly?

It's called game film.

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

Yes. How about you do your own work? Rollins was right in some ways, but he also talked all over himself and contradicted his own points in his own video.

I asked you to show a key play in the game where you felt it was on Kyle and the offense had no chance. You can even timestamp it, i don't need you to clip out the game film and post it here.

this is all deflection, can we at once agree, that it is better to have guys drilled and prepared, than unprepared and finding out info on the fly?

It's not a deflection. You're putting everything on Kyle...how much time do you think he has? If he has to monitor the defense and apparently train every player on how to react to the bright lights of the SB you think he should take the time to drill into the OT rules in the SB that may never happen in a game.

And once again it changes nothing. You have never addressed what going over the rules ahead of time changes about the fact that players job doesn't change in the least bit. If anything the offense should've been more willing to bust ass to score the opening drive TD.

It's called game film.

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

Yes. How about you do your own work? Rollins was right in some ways, but he also talked all over himself and contradicted his own points in his own video.

I asked you to show a key play in the game where you felt it was on Kyle and the offense had no chance. You can even timestamp it, i don't need you to clip out the game film and post it here.

check my edit above

Rollins, JTO, Schwartz all talk about the final O play of the season, the popping the center, and why that sucks. Listen to Schwartz who played years in the league. He says it's a design to distort the LB level in zone coverage. KC isn't in zone. KC is bringing the house and in man. Cuz of course they are. It's KC. It's Spags. We kinda know what he likes to do. So per Schwartz, that protection / play needs to be changed at the LOS. Schwartz questions if we even allow BP to do that in our O. In any event, nothing gets changed, and if you listen to all three of those guys, the popping the center doesn't do Burford any favors.

We can do shades of gray here and say Burford effed up, and the protection was clownish also. It was protection for a defense that they weren't in/running. So a clown protection at the critical moment. Just once I would like to see someone say it's on Kyle there, and not simply the player execution. Even if you want to say popping the center is fine, okay how come one of his players failing to execute is not in some way on him? How come good O is to his credit, and lack of execution is on the player? That's having it both ways. But the protection sucks, and it's been called out by many. Or look at the failed 3rd down in regulation. Why is 85 in the backfiled in pass pro? Is that not getting cute? We have a theme here, getting cute on key downs in pass pro. Trying to outwit Spags, and we only outwit ourselves.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 23, 2024 at 10:34 AM ]

That isn't the debate and isn't what I responded to. At no point was I responding to a question of whether Kyle is 'good in the SB'. It's a stupid ass question to begin with.

Genus effectively said we have a great offense, and you replied with essentially a disagreement based on a single game performance against a great defense. Then when pressed you started referencing past teams of ours that didn't have great offenses. Newsflash: great offenses can struggle against great defenses. This was already said.

That isn't the debate and isn't what I responded to. At no point was I responding to a question of whether Kyle is 'good in the SB'. It's a stupid ass question to begin with.

Genus effectively said we have a great offense, and you replied with essentially a disagreement based on a single game performance against a great defense. Then when pressed you started referencing past teams of ours that didn't have great offenses. Newsflash: great offenses can struggle against great defenses. This was already said.

Is he winning a ring here is a dumb question?
probably the most relevant question imo
We can agree to disagree. My take you are your record, he's a productive coach who struggles and outwits himself in the big games. So that is something he and we will have to overcome. The more he has big game issues, the more the issue will be raised. It was in fact raised to him already, and he got a lil prickly in his defense of his resume. Trust me he's aware of the chatter, and sometimes when it all goes wrong in big spots, you question / second guess yourself in real time. That may be a thing here, until he gets over the hump.

It's called game film.

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

check my edit above

Rollins, JTO, Schwartz all talk about the final O play of the season, the popping the center, and why that sucks. Listen to Schwartz who played years in the league. He says it's a design to distort the LB level in zone coverage. KC isn't in zone. KC is bringing the house and in man. Cuz of course they are. It's KC. It's Spags. We kinda know what he likes to do. So per Schwartz, that protection / play needs to be changed at the LOS. Schwartz questions if we even allow BP to do that in our O. In any event, nothing gets changed, and if you listen to all three of those guys, the popping the center doesn't do Burford any favors.

We can do shades of gray here and say Burford effed up, and the protection was clownish also. It was protection for a defense that they weren't in/running. So a clown protection at the critical moment. Just once I would like to see someone say it's on Kyle there, and not simply the player execution. Even if you want to say popping the center is fine, okay how come one of his players failing to execute is not in some way on him? How come good O is to his credit, and lack of execution is on the player? That's having it both ways. But the protection sucks, and it's been called out by many. Or look at the failed 3rd down in regulation. Why is 85 in the backfiled in pass pro? Is that not getting cute? We have a theme here, getting cute on key downs in pass pro. Trying to outwit Spags, and we only outwit ourselves.

No offense man but if you can't do your own work when questioned then it's hard to take you seriously.

Those guys aren't coaches. Two of them are players who go off what they've been taught and their own understanding of something. I've seen both of them questioned by guys like Kurt Warner who had a difference of opinion but you want to take their word for Kyle f'cking up because they said so?

Not to mention even while regurgitating their takes back to me you're contradicting what actually happened in the game. KC went into that game playing heavy zone. Purdy was carving them up and caused them to adjust from their actual gameplan. So while you THINK what Spags likes to do, wasn't what Spags actually wanted to do in that game.

As for that play in particular you and your fellow film junkies can act like you know exactly what Shanahan is trying to do on that play...but apparently can't admit the simple fact that if Burford carries out his assignment it's a TD. The center popping out of there doesn't change Burford blowing his assignment and he owned up to it. Players who weren't in that locker room can speculate and b***h about what they would've done or why it's not a good idea but the simple fact was the play in question was designed to beat what KC was doing on defense if executed properly. It was not. End of story.

And the center is selling the run fake there. I'm sure Kyle's intent had nothing to do with zone or man look, it's to give the defense hesitation enough for our receivers to win and Brock to have enough time to make the throw. Something that's hard to do when Burford decides to freestyle and not block Chris Jones.

So save it with the clown protection garbage. The reason to get cute is because there are limitations on the OL. We've gotten away with inferior OL play in the past with misdirection and making the defense hesitate. It's loser behavior to sit back and act like Shanahan's pass protection was the problem when you had OLmen getting beat or not doing their job. It's a game of inches and seconds. Nobody should expect that OL to be blocking Chris Jones and gang for 5+ seconds per snap but the bare minimum should be expected.

This is like being a surgeon and your boss doesn't tell you which leg to operate on so as a result you cut them both off. Sure your boss didn't help as much as may he should have...but you still took it an extra step and f*cked up something fierce.

It's called game film.

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

check my edit above

And the winner is this!!!! It's what I have been saying all off season the only one he fools wth his shift right is his own guys. Spags is too good to catch off guard. If Kyle would have just played standard protection or even Max protect we win.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Apr 23, 2024 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by bassmanr:

It's called game film.

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

check my edit above

And the winner is this!!!! It's what I have been saying all of season the only one he fools wth his shift right is his own guys. Spags is too good to catch off guard. If Kyle would have just played standard protection or even Max protect we win.
that is incorrect. no way we get far in every season with what you and faith believe

Also, Bu has been brainfarting all season and Feli getting injured late in the game was unfortunate.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Apr 23, 2024 at 1:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone