George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 167 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by q0c0p:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'm really hoping Latu develops and makes a huge jump going into his second year. It would be awesome to see what Kyle could cook up with two athletic catching tight ends.

Amen

It would be awesome if he developed but I'm not seeing it
you don't like touchdowns ?

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
no way we should have been in the playoffs let alone in a SB if it were that bad.

Take Chris Jones off the chiefs and we win two rings. CJ is just a great player

Don't know about 2. Jimmy didn't need a rush to throw it to the wrong jersey in crunch time.
awful.. but jimmy did throw to some wide open guys in the final drives.. but the balls were batted down by CJ
Originally posted by q0c0p:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I'm really hoping Latu develops and makes a huge jump going into his second year. It would be awesome to see what Kyle could cook up with two athletic catching tight ends.

Amen

It would be awesome if he developed but I'm not seeing it
you don't like touchdowns ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/7oIGzCkuuig?si=s3RhOtTAQAmne2VK
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by genus49:
Getting the W isn't about matching wits with Spags or Mahomes. This isn't a VR game where if Kyle thinks it, it happens as he sees it. It's not chess where you move the pieces.

It's football. Coaches design the game plan, call the plays but need the players to execute them. Despite the flaws Kyle displayed in the game we have clear evidence that he can match wits with those guys. The plays are there to be made even if we can disagree if designing some of those plays to Aiyuk vs Deebo would've produced better results.

The results were there to be had. The execution wasn't there. The execution was there for Reid/Spags. That's how it goes sometimes.

You'd have a point if the bulk of the failed plays were schematic problems or not open if the OL holds up...or in some cases simply get in the way or try to block defenders.

what's the clear evidence?

It's called game film.

I challenge you to find a key play in that game where the play call was just flat out doomed from the start despite solid OL blocking.

I posted the film, did you watch the Alex Rollins?

Oh THE Alex Rollins?

Yes. How about you do your own work? Rollins was right in some ways, but he also talked all over himself and contradicted his own points in his own video.

I asked you to show a key play in the game where you felt it was on Kyle and the offense had no chance. You can even timestamp it, i don't need you to clip out the game film and post it here.

check my edit above

Rollins, JTO, Schwartz all talk about the final O play of the season, the popping the center, and why that sucks. Listen to Schwartz who played years in the league. He says it's a design to distort the LB level in zone coverage. KC isn't in zone. KC is bringing the house and in man. Cuz of course they are. It's KC. It's Spags. We kinda know what he likes to do. So per Schwartz, that protection / play needs to be changed at the LOS. Schwartz questions if we even allow BP to do that in our O. In any event, nothing gets changed, and if you listen to all three of those guys, the popping the center doesn't do Burford any favors.

We can do shades of gray here and say Burford effed up, and the protection was clownish also. It was protection for a defense that they weren't in/running. So a clown protection at the critical moment. Just once I would like to see someone say it's on Kyle there, and not simply the player execution. Even if you want to say popping the center is fine, okay how come one of his players failing to execute is not in some way on him? How come good O is to his credit, and lack of execution is on the player? That's having it both ways. But the protection sucks, and it's been called out by many. Or look at the failed 3rd down in regulation. Why is 85 in the backfiled in pass pro? Is that not getting cute? We have a theme here, getting cute on key downs in pass pro. Trying to outwit Spags, and we only outwit ourselves.

And the winner is this!!!! It's what I have been saying all of season the only one he fools wth his shift right is his own guys. Spags is too good to catch off guard. If Kyle would have just played standard protection or even Max protect we win.
that is incorrect. no way we get far in every season with what you and faith believe

Also, Bu has been brainfarting all season and Feli getting injured late in the game was unfortunate.
Yes but the line stints were not working and were the cause of the confusion. Burford was horrible but it was just bad play calling against an amazing D coordinator. The right side was ineffective all game he should have looked left or middle where the gaps in the D were. Even with Feli in McKivitz was a rag doll when it mattered all season long. With a better right side of the line maybe those calls would work.

We can point out flaws in Kyle's protection schemes til we're blue in the face, end of the day the key plays in the game were not ruined because of them. They were ruined because the players didn't do what they were coached to do, good or bad they didn't do their job.

I like Burford as a person and he's got some talent and is young but he was awful. Just awful in that game. He got his ass beat bad by one of the KC backups I believe on the 2nd down run we lost yards on. Then by his own(and Feliciano's) admission did his own thing.

He wasn't confused, he simply as he put it "went with his gut" and allowed a free lane to two rushers right to Brock on a play we had 2 guys break open.

Pretty sure he also got beat like a drum on the missed throw to Deebo when he actually got open because Brock had no chance for a proper throw.

We got to the SB with all these OL flaws and protection issues people want to call out. Clearly something was working right. Then it didn't. Started with Feliciano's injury and Burford clearly wasn't ready for the big moment. Hard to fault him when Trent Williams one of the best in the game had one of his worst games.

Tho I'm sure some in here would blame Shanahan for that too…

I agree it was not just Shanahan, much more than that. CMC fumble, muffed punt bad execution on D the last two series. However I wish he would have played more to the left side when we needed the last drive to a Touchdown instead of a field goal. The other issues he has are trying to use line shifts to distract where the play is going. Spags is way too good to get fooled he should have played more inside slants and better pass protection to give Brock more time.

I don't think it was all Kyle but he should be more aware of what was not working and adjust in key moments. Especially when the weakest part of our team was the right side of the line.

Getting to the superbowl and not winning is like getting a hot girl naked and not getting laid. 😒

This has come up a few times and I still believe it was the right decision at the time. Easy to say it was wrong now since we know KC wins the game with a TD drive on their possession but at the time KC hadn't scored a TD without being handed the ball on our own 15 yard line. We knew they could score FGs(another reason taking the ball first in OT made sense)

Kyle was definitely not perfect and we can certainly call every minor thing out but you listed all the errors in the game completely out of his control and clearly not something he was coaching for and realize we didn't lose the game because of Kyle. It was a long list of errors and against a well coached team with some elite level players if you let them hang around bad things can happen in a close game. Doesn't help when the other team also gets favorable looks by the officiating crew.

And yes losing the SB is brutal but thinking you'd rather lose earlier is also loser behavior. We should be upset we didn't pull out the win but be able to appreciate the season the team put together.

I think if a single one of these things changes the 49ers are going into this season as defending SB champs.

CMC fumble
Trent Williams holding call on the 2nd drive
Greenlaw injury
Feliciano injury
Punt hitting Luter's leg
McCloud not falling on that ball - same play obviously but I feel like we were unlucky enough where both things happened. Luter's leg getting hit is just bad luck, McCloud thinking he should pick it up and "make a play" as he said and not just fall on it and ensure we keep possession are two separate mistakes.
Brock not throwing to Aiyuk vs JJ on the 2 minute 3rd down
Burford not blocking Chris Jones and doing his own thing

And that list doesn't include all the missed holding calls on KC, protection mistakes, penalties hurting us from extending drives or putting us in favorable down and distance situations.

It's very frustrating knowing that KC wasn't at their best on offense and we still blew this game but it's not easy to win vs good teams and we clearly have to break the KC trend if we want to hold a new Lombardi any time soon.

Let's hope we have a great draft class and get a big 2nd year jump from last year's so far meh class and get right back to it and finish it off with a W this time!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Kyle is 72-55 as the 49ers head caoch. That includes the rebuilding years and the years when G was injured a lot. With a healthyQB he'sbeen very successful. He's gotten them to the SB twice and the NFC title game 4 times. All that adds up to being a good coach in my book. The fact that he lost twice in the SB doesn't mean he can't coach. In both of the losses it was player mistakes more than anything that cost them the game. Did he make some bad calls? Sure. Every coach does. He also made good calls that the players screwed up.

Most importantly he rebuilt the image of the 49ers. They were a complete clown show after Baalke/Tomsula/Chip tenures.

Very much so. Good times ahead.
This has come up a few times and I still believe it was the right decision at the time. Easy to say it was wrong now since we know KC wins the game with a TD drive on their possession but at the time KC hadn't scored a TD without being handed the ball on our own 15 yard line. We knew they could score FGs(another reason taking the ball first in OT made sense)

Kyle was definitely not perfect and we can certainly call every minor thing out but you listed all the errors in the game completely out of his control and clearly not something he was coaching for and realize we didn't lose the game because of Kyle. It was a long list of errors and against a well coached team with some elite level players if you let them hang around bad things can happen in a close game. Doesn't help when the other team also gets favorable looks by the officiating crew.

And yes losing the SB is brutal but thinking you'd rather lose earlier is also loser behavior. We should be upset we didn't pull out the win but be able to appreciate the season the team put together.

I think if a single one of these things changes the 49ers are going into this season as defending SB champs.

CMC fumble
Greenlaw injury
Feliciano injury
Punt hitting Luter's leg
McCloud not falling on that ball - same play obviously but I feel like we were unlucky enough where both things happened. Luter's leg getting hit is just bad luck, McCloud thinking he should pick it up and "make a play" as he said and not just fall on it and ensure we keep possession are two separate mistakes.

And that list doesn't include all the missed holding calls on KC, protection mistakes, penalties hurting us from extending drives or putting us in favorable down and distance situations.

It's very frustrating knowing that KC wasn't at their best on offense and we still blew this game but it's not easy to win vs good teams and we clearly have to break the KC trend if we want to hold a new Lombardi any time soon.

Let's hope we have a great draft class and get a big 2nd year jump from last year's so far meh class and get right back to it and finish it off with a W this time!
You are correct in your overall analysis...

I just watched the superbowl again for the first time since the painful incident. It was everything that could go wrong went wrong. We were gifted som Pi non calls and they were gifted many holding non calls. I'll call it a wash...

I think the biggest thing that went wrong was Greenlaws injury without him Mahomes was having fun and Kelce was wide open. He could run up the middle and Wilks kept calling 0 protection blitz that left a hole in the D. That's one problem solved. He did call a good game before Greenlaws injury until the end.

God I hope we fix our line from the middle right before the season starts. I don't care how we do it, just hope we do it.

I have to re think what happened and what was the biggest culprit.
  • thl408

CMC fumble
Greenlaw injury
Feliciano injury
Punt hitting Luter's leg

You are correct in your overall analysis...

I just watched the superbowl again for the first time since the painful incident. It was everything that could go wrong went wrong. We were gifted som Pi non calls and they were gifted many holding non calls. I'll call it a wash...

I think the biggest thing that went wrong was Greenlaws injury without him Mahomes was having fun and Kelce was wide open. He could run up the middle and Wilks kept calling 0 protection blitz that left a hole in the D. That's one problem solved. He did call a good game before Greenlaws injury until the end.

God I hope we fix our line from the middle right before the season starts. I don't care how we do it, just hope we do it.

I have to re think what happened and what was the biggest culprit.

You have a point about Greenlaw's injury, but I have yet to hear an argument that will make me change my mind that the punt muff (Luter's ankle) was the single biggest turning point in that game. KC was struggling to get field goals even after the Greenlaw injury. After the punt muff, touchdown.
You have a point about Greenlaw's injury, but I have yet to hear an argument that will make me change my mind that the punt muff (Luter's ankle) was the single biggest turning point in that game. KC was struggling to get field goals even after the Greenlaw injury. After the punt muff, touchdown.

Yeah that was the turning point. I recall during live action, it appeared to me that we ran into the punter. So I was half expecting a flag and first down, and the play just got worse from there.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Kyle is 72-55 as the 49ers head caoch. That includes the rebuilding years and the years when G was injured a lot. With a healthyQB he'sbeen very successful. He's gotten them to the SB twice and the NFC title game 4 times. All that adds up to being a good coach in my book. The fact that he lost twice in the SB doesn't mean he can't coach. In both of the losses it was player mistakes more than anything that cost them the game. Did he make some bad calls? Sure. Every coach does. He also made good calls that the players screwed up.

Most importantly he rebuilt the image of the 49ers. They were a complete clown show after Baalke/Tomsula/Chip tenures.

Nah according to some "fans" we are the laughing stock of the NFL

Yeah that was the turning point. I recall during live action, it appeared to me that we ran into the punter. So I was half expecting a flag and first down, and the play just got worse from there.

The "muffed punt" was a killer blow, for sure.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

No, we're not, just KC's b***h.

That's partially what happens, when you fail to really take advantage. The KC drive chart started out like this:

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
FG
Int
Punt
FG
Punt

that's nearly 3 entire quarters of us more or less owning Mahomes. It was to the point Mahomes was yelling at ppl and Kelce was grabbing Andy Reid and shaking him and the moment they get the punt fumble and fling the TD in there, they are actually in the lead, cuz our O was doing zilch
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 24, 2024 at 10:49 AM ]

That's partially what happens, when you fail to really take advantage. The KC drive chart started out like this:

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
FG
Int
Punt
FG
Punt

that's nearly 3 entire quarters of us more or less owning Mahomes. It was to the point Mahomes was yelling at ppl and Kelce was grabbing Andy Reid and shaking him and the moment they get the punt fumble and fling the TD in there, they are actually in the lead, cuz our O was doing zilch

Here comes old Faithful to help put this back on Shanahan.

49ers offense faced one of the best defenses in the league and with one of the best coordinators coaching them.

The defense faced an offense that was middle of the pack this past season. Yes the offense should've been better but you're choosing to bury your head in the sand when it comes to realizing why the offense struggled, both in terms of glossing over how good KC defense was and the amount of mistakes by the actual players despite the scheme giving them plays to make vs that talented defense.

CMC fumbling while we were driving on the first down.
Trent Williams single handedly killed the 2nd drive with penalties. We had first down on the Chiefs 48 had the refs not thrown that tick tacky holding call on him(pretty frustrating to see that called and then KC allowed to straight up tackle our guys but that's another story)

We all know the struggles in the 3rd quarter but go back and watch those plays. Full of bad OL play and missed blocks with open guys for big plays. And when you only manage to have 9 plays in 3 drives...only so much you can really nitpick outside of just saying they were wasted drives which they were.
Originally posted by Koldo:

Hardly. A close overtime win.
Originally posted by Koldo:

I forgot if you were the guy that posted we're a laughing stock of the NFL, or that you rather having losing seasons then lose in the playoffs/SB

Either way clown takes.
Share 49ersWebzone