There are 112 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Lol at Bill and Pete being better alternatives for this team. Both had their day in the sun and were great. , That era has passed. Nobody's clamoring for their services now.
"The foolish person tears down his own house brick by brick."

I wouldn't mind either one of them as DC. I know it'll most likely never happen but would be awesome. Both great defensive minds and Pete has an insane energy to him.

really hoping Kyle made a great choice with this new guy.
True regarding them as defensive nobility, but they are both accustomed to being emperors--I don't see either of them being good foot soldiers as DCs.
Originally posted by genus49:
Thinking we had the better team in 2019 with the Mahomes/Jimmy G discrepancy is crazy but go off.

We had the better defense in 2019. They had the better offense. This last season things were flipped unfortunately the officiating in 2019 killed our main advantage and Mahomes made us pay for it.

Brock and our OLine unfortunately couldn't do the same to the Chiefs this year. Just how it goes.

We were easily better than the Ravens on both sides of the ball and had a QB who could kill you in the air or on the ground and had the perfect personnel grouping to disguise which we were going with and still nearly got blown out by the inferior team.

That is a coaching disaster. Both of Kyle's losses you can easily flip just one play and it's a win…and he didn't get the benefit of a blackout to regroup and work on things.

If our offense wasn't up to KC's because Shanny likes average system qb's who does that fall on? Shanny. He doesn't get a free pass for blowing a SB because the qb he took is 1/50th as good as the qb he passed on.

Otherwise we were both stacked and we even got the break of Mahomes playing like dog sh that day due to our defensive line. You can say what you want about Baltimore's talent but they outplayed ours. Not because of coaching they were just better that day. They weren't bums though. They had Boldin who left and became our best receiver the following year and he shredded us. Lewis, Nagata, Suggs, and Reed on d. This is a team that beat both Manning and Brady in the postseason that year you're vastly underrated them.

The coaching disaster is the guy who choked a game he had no business losing when the team massively outplayed their opponent. Which is what Shanny let happen against KC. Did it twice too as he helped blow the game for Atl.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 19, 2024 at 3:23 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Thinking we had the better team in 2019 with the Mahomes/Jimmy G discrepancy is crazy but go off.

We had the better defense in 2019. They had the better offense. This last season things were flipped unfortunately the officiating in 2019 killed our main advantage and Mahomes made us pay for it.

Brock and our OLine unfortunately couldn't do the same to the Chiefs this year. Just how it goes.

We were easily better than the Ravens on both sides of the ball and had a QB who could kill you in the air or on the ground and had the perfect personnel grouping to disguise which we were going with and still nearly got blown out by the inferior team.

That is a coaching disaster. Both of Kyle's losses you can easily flip just one play and it's a win…and he didn't get the benefit of a blackout to regroup and work on things.

If our offense wasn't up to KC's because Shanny likes average system qb's who does that fall on? Shanny. He doesn't get a free pass for blowing a SB because the qb he took is 1/50th as good as the qb he passed on.

Otherwise we were both stacked and we even got the break of Mahomes playing like dog sh that day due to our defensive line. You can say what you want about Baltimore's talent but they outplayed ours. Not because of coaching they were just better that day. They weren't bums though. They had Boldin who left and became our best receiver the following year and he shredded us. Lewis, Nagata, Suggs, and Reed on d. This is a team that beat both Manning and Brady in the postseason that year you're vastly underrated them.

The coaching disaster is the guy who choked a game he had no business losing when the team massively outplayed their opponent. Which is what Shanny let happen against KC. Did it twice too as he helped blow the game for Atl.

These takes are hilariously hypocritical.

Ravens were just better and it wasn't cuz of coaching? Are you for real? A better roster goes into the most important game of their lives with 2 weeks of prep and is down 28-6 early in the 3rd quarter? Game starts with an illegal formation penalty. And to you that's the Ravens simply playing better?

You know where Ngata wasn't? On the field when we decided running the ball with Frank Gore wasn't part of the plan.

Also somehow pretending the 49ers talent was better because you get to blame Shanahan for passing on Mahomes is another level of mental gymnastics.

You heard it here folks any time the 49ers had a chance at a player we're facing and didn't take him we now can't evaluate him against our own team since it's our fault he's playing well against us. Brilliant stuff.

Keep propping up that Ravens team that didn't do sh*t after that run but discredit the Chiefs team which has been to the AFCCG every year Mahomes has started for them and been to 4 SBs, winning 3 of them.

Losing to the amazing Joe Flaccos is much more impressive…

And personally if I had to have one vs the other I'd rather see my team blow a lead vs never getting one. At least that tells me the coaches had a solid game plan and had the team prepared but things got away from them for whatever reason. Going into a game you're favored and never even seeing a lead means the plan was s**t from the start.

As far as choking games…the Chiefs were being picked to win by almost every media member so save the whole "no business of losing" garbage.

And for all the Harbaugh worship he followed up the never sniffing a lead in the SB to "blowing a double digit lead" vs Seattle the next year so give your criteria for choke jobs you still haven't shown me one thing Harbaugh has done better than Kyle.
Lots of energy expended arguing about 2 coaches that failed. Does it matter who was the biggest failure? Nope. Argue till your blue in the face… it will not change facts. Kyle will not win a superbowl with this team or any team. He coaches himself out of wins when the lights are brightest. 3 strikes. 2 here and one for ATL. Facts. Not speculation.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Lots of energy expended arguing about 2 coaches that failed. Does it matter who was the biggest failure? Nope. Argue till your blue in the face… it will not change facts. Kyle will not win a superbowl with this team or any team. He coaches himself out of wins when the lights are brightest. 3 strikes. 2 here and one for ATL. Facts. Not speculation.

Ha
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd take Shanahan ANY DAY over Harbaugh. I can't think of any head coach in the NFL I'd want over Kyle Shanahan. Now if the question is who I'd want to succeed Shanahan if he so happen to retire, I'd take Bobby Slowik. What he did with Houston's offense was damn impressive last year, this upcoming season will be his last as OC.

Harbaugh and Kyle are both good coaches but they each coach with completely different styles. Not just with the type of offense they run either. They have very different personalities. Harbaugh can rub on people aroind him as we saw when he was here.

They also have something In common

In all seriousness, I'd still take Kyle over Harbaugh any day.
lol Harbaugh did more with less? First of all he literally didn't do more with anything. The guy never even got to see a lead in the SB with the 49ers. Pretending he did more than Kyle is laughable on its own. Then you went the extra mile and added the "with less" part.

Dude had 20 of his 22 starters on offense playing the whole game in the SB.

The two guys who weren't week 1 starters were Kap, who was clearly an upgrade over Alex Smith and was perfect against a team like Baltimore with their slower DL and linebackers and the other guy was filling in for Mario Manningham after he got injured, some dude named Randy Moss.

Kyle had guys missing in each SB with inferior players filling in for them. Whether Kwon Alexander, Weston Richburg or DJ Jones in 2019 or Cleilin Ferrell and Hufanga to start this past SB and then losing Greenlaw and Feliciano early in the game. That doesn't even get into the guys playing with injury you love to bring up like it only happens to Aldon and Justin.

We saw what Harbaugh's team looked like when they actually had less. It wasn't great and even then the best part was the Fangio led defense.

Did we not see what Kyle looks like with less talent? Worse than Harbaugh. We can give Fangio a lot of credit, but it's clear he needed a real HC like Harbs to steer the ship. Harbaugh has success everywhere he goes, he is an amazing HC. I rank him just ahead of Kyle. I understand people that would take Kyle, I just don't understand acting like Harbaugh is soooooooo much worse than him
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
lol Harbaugh did more with less? First of all he literally didn't do more with anything. The guy never even got to see a lead in the SB with the 49ers. Pretending he did more than Kyle is laughable on its own. Then you went the extra mile and added the "with less" part.

The two guys who weren't week 1 starters were Kap, who was clearly an upgrade over Alex Smith and was perfect against a team like Baltimore with their slower DL and linebackers and the other guy was filling in for Mario Manningham after he got injured, some dude named Randy Moss.

Kyle had guys missing in each SB with inferior players filling in for them. Whether Kwon Alexander, Weston Richburg or DJ Jones in 2019 or Cleilin Ferrell and Hufanga to start this past SB and then losing Greenlaw and Feliciano early in the game. That doesn't even get into the guys playing with injury you love to bring up like it only happens to Aldon and Justin.

We saw what Harbaugh's team looked like when they actually had less. It wasn't great and even then the best part was the Fangio led defense.

Did we not see what Kyle looks like with less talent? Worse than Harbaugh. We can give Fangio a lot of credit, but it's clear he needed a real HC like Harbs to steer the ship. Harbaugh has success everywhere he goes, he is an amazing HC. I rank him just ahead of Kyle. I understand people that would take Kyle, I just don't understand acting like Harbaugh is soooooooo much worse than him

Less talent? When did we see Harbaugh coach with the type of "talent" Kyle had at his disposal in 2017 or 2018?

And yes we saw Kyle…soon as Jimmy G got here suddenly we finish the season 5-0.

Pretending Harbaugh would've gotten better results from those teams is just ignorant.

We saw one season from Harbaugh when the team fell apart and key FAs left. It was not pretty and Fangio was the guy who kept it from being embarrassing.

Less talent? When did we see Harbaugh coach with the type of "talent" Kyle had at his disposal in 2017 or 2018?

And yes we saw Kyle…soon as Jimmy G got here suddenly we finish the season 5-0.

Pretending Harbaugh would've gotten better results from those teams is just ignorant.

We saw one season from Harbaugh when the team fell apart and key FAs left. It was not pretty and Fangio was the guy who kept it from being embarrassing.

I think he would've simplified things like crazy for those mediocre QBs (like he did for Alex) instead of getting pissed at them for not being able to run a complicated system. Would've resulted in more wins. Remember we started winning once we stopped running Kyles system

Jim > Kyle imo
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

What else are we doing these days? Some people don't know a good thing when they have it…irony is we had a similar thing with Harbaugh and yet you still have people b***hing about Kyle and praising Harbaugh as someone special…the dude never accomplished more in the NFL than Kyle.

Yay after nearly 10 years in Michigan he managed to win a Championship with a cheating scandal thrown in there. What a stud!

And stop with the stupid Kyle will never win it or can't coach under the bright lights. People love Andy Reid…what is he winning without Spags? Not a damn thing!

Kyle had the offense grab the lead every drive in the 4th quarter and OT. That's pretty bright lights territory. Ironic that we blame him for the defense not being able to hold the lead and laying all the blame on the guy. Give Shanahan Spags for that game and give Andy Wilks, who do you think wins?

2007 Stanford shows what Harbaugh was with the talent Kyle walked into.
I think he would've simplified things like crazy for those mediocre QBs (like he did for Alex) instead of getting pissed at them for not being able to run a complicated system. Would've resulted in more wins. Remember we started winning once we stopped running Kyles system

Jim > Kyle imo

Yeah we got that…which is why you're delusional as hell.

Now i guess we're going to act like Alex Smith is Brian Hoyer.

And we never stopped running Kyle's system. It's embarrassing how wrong you continue to be in this conversation.

We literally have a sample of Harbaugh coaching a team with a bit less talent than that 2012 team. He produced an offense that was worse than the one he took over from Chip Kelly.

Jim > Kyle imo

And we never stopped running Kyle's system. It's embarrassing how wrong you continue to be in this conversation.

We literally have a sample of Harbaugh coaching a team with a bit less talent than that 2012 team. He produced an offense that was worse than the one he took over from Chip Kelly.

I don't think it's delusional to think either is better, they're both really good coaches. I think Jim is better and have given my reason. And we weren't running Kyles offense with Jimmy. It was simplified because Jimmy didn't have nearly enough time to learn it. Which it should've been from the beginning with those crappy QBs. Harbaugh would've known that imo

Jim > Kyle imo

I don't think it's delusional to think either is better, they're both really good coaches. I think Jim is better and have given my reason. And we weren't running Kyles offense with Jimmy. It was simplified because Jimmy didn't have nearly enough time to learn it. Which it should've been from the beginning with those crappy QBs. Harbaugh would've known that imo

It was simplified in terms of playcalls. We were still running Kyle's scheme.

Harbaugh isn't turning bad talent into good play. He walked into a beautiful situation and got the best out of the talented roster that fit his vision. Once teams caught up to that vision and the team lost key players to FA it was all downhill.

Shanahan went to the SB with two different QBs. He's won games he shouldn't have with guys like Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard. Out of the two of them Kyle has been the one proven he can get wins with weaker rosters.

We'll see Harbaugh soon enough and no shock to me he cherry picked a team with a top tier QB in place. He would've never taken a job like taking over that 2016 49ers roster. Awful offense and horrendous defense. Needs everywhere and only a handful of guys to build around.

Jim > Kyle imo

It was simplified in terms of playcalls. We were still running Kyle's scheme.

Harbaugh isn't turning bad talent into good play. He walked into a beautiful situation and got the best out of the talented roster that fit his vision. Once teams caught up to that vision and the team lost key players to FA it was all downhill.

Shanahan went to the SB with two different QBs. He's won games he shouldn't have with guys like Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard. Out of the two of them Kyle has been the one proven he can get wins with weaker rosters.

We'll see Harbaugh soon enough and no shock to me he cherry picked a team with a top tier QB in place. He would've never taken a job like taking over that 2016 49ers roster. Awful offense and horrendous defense. Needs everywhere and only a handful of guys to build around.

Harbaugh turns every team around so idk what you're talking about. There is no possible way Jimmy was running Kyles system. It was simplified and geared to what he was good at in NE

It's not like Kyle was making Jimmy great with his play calling to get to a SB. He was terrified to even call a pass play, even though he's supposed to have such an easy system. Harbaugh goes to the SB with Alex and Kap if Ted Ginn were healthy or they get the Bradshaw fumble right, so that doesn't make Kyle better. He just had the easier route with Jimmy
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 19, 2024 at 8:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone