LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 155 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Also WTF is choking as a head coach? so if you won a Super Bowl 15 yrs ago that means every loss after that doesn't make you a choker?

Tomlin was given a Super Bowl winning team, won one Super Bowl with a first ballot HOF QB and then didn't win s**t for 15 years and that s**t isn't going anywhere still.

Sean Payton won one Super Bowl with a legit generational QB who's got all kinds of records. He didn't win s**t with him for 12 years after that first.

John harbough has one Super Bowl win over a decade ago with 16 years of coaching. He's had a QB who was the MVP twice and still hasn't even got back to the Super Bowl to even lose it.

Sean McDermott has one of the best QBs in the NFL for most of his time in Buffalo. He's been to one AFCC and blew all kinds of games in 7 years.

Andy Reid 14 years in Philly made it to one Super Bowl and lost. 6 straight years in KC with blowing playoff games, until he got the GOAT at QB who just runs around and plays backyard football more than anything.

so NONE of those guys can ever be labeled a choker? So having two 1st ballot HOFer QBs for a decade + on roster and only getting one SB win (not even making it to another SB) that would be enough for all the Kyle haters in that scenario? You then get a decade worth of "choking" with elite QB play, but you know you can't hate the HC because of something that happened over a decade ago lol?
Coaches are either remembered for winning or coming up short. All I know is if Kyle doesn't win a SB, he's going to go down as the biggest choker of all time. I'm not happy about it, he's the coach of my 49ers, but that's where he's at right now
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Coaches are either remembered for winning or coming up short. All I know is if Kyle doesn't win a SB, he's going to go down as the biggest choker of all time. I'm not happy about it, he's the coach of my 49ers, but that's where he's at right now

I guess you think the player have nothing to do with the team coming up short. Maybe the other team just played a little better down the stretch. Blaming losses on the coach is weak. Football is the ultimate team sport. That includes all the players and the coaching staff.
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
People can march out reason after reason why kyle is an offensive genius, or the best coach we've ever had, or reasons why Coach Reid was a choker before he finally won with mahomes, but it won't change the fact that right now, today, KYLE SHANNAHAN IS A CHOKER.

And only he can change that FACT. Or he doesn't and he goes down in sports history as a big choker. Dude has found a way to gack away the big game multiple times. Thats some talent right there.

If you're a casual then I can see how you think like that. Thing is football is a complex sport where things are rarely as simple as stats or even Wins/loses, especially in the playoffs.

In the end players are the ones on the field. A coach cannot choke the game away unless they don't have their team prepared to play or make a critical mistake in game management like going for a 4th down when a FG gets you a 2 score lead. It's still up to the team to execute the play of course but going for the kill isn't always the smart choice and opens things up for the other team - Dan Campbell being a perfect example of this recently.

The whole idea of Kyle being a choker is stupid. The man has never had his team lose in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs when they made the playoffs. Apparently the NFCCG in 2021 is him being a choker...but him winning 2 NFCCGs in 2019 and 2023 means what?

What makes a big game? Is it a do or die game? Cuz Kyle has certainly won plenty of those. Is it the SB only? Then why do people bring up the Rams NFCCG? Was Bill Belichick a choker when he lost to Spagnulo in 2007? I mean perfect season on the line, Juggernaut offense in place - prime Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, great defense no excuses right?

Do we think Kyle told Matt Ryan to take a sack with Atlanta? To fumble it before? Dan Quinn gets no heat at all for losing a 28-3 lead. It's amazing.
Do we think Kyle asked Jimmy to miss the throw to Sanders? Did he purposefully ask Jimmy to play some of the worst football in that 4th quarter? To miss reads? Did he tell Chris Jones how to knock passes down?
Do we think Kyle told Tartt to drop the pick from Stafford? Did he ask the OL to whiff on their blocks on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 2 when running the ball?

...I think you get the point.

The whole "Kyle is the common denominator" thing is such a lazy take. Open your eyes and look at each game by itself. And yes Kyle could've made a better decision in the Falcons SB, maybe they win it if he just has them running after that big completion to Julio Jones. Maybe if Kyle had us running the ball despite the looks KC was showing on defense we would've broken through and done enough to hold that win. Maybe if Kyle goes for it on 4th down vs the Rams we pick it up and run out the clock. Maybe if Kyle adjusts the offense to go through Aiyuk instead of Deebo once KC adjusted this last SB we manage to get the win.

MAYBE.

I prefer to look at what actually happened and analyze what we know. Which is other factors came into play for each of those losses. Factors that easily could've been changed and Kyle is on the winning side in each game. Factors he had 0 control over on the sidelines.

tl;dnr

Coaches prep the team to play, players have to make the plays.

lol how old are you? Clearly you have no idea who Marv Levy is.

IMO tomlin will be remembered as a guy who didn't win with his team and then s**t away a first ballot HOFers career for 15 years. I mean cool he hasn't had a losing season. Also didn't do s**t for a f**king LONG time. Bravo for squeaking out a bunch of 9 win seasons and losing in the playoffs.

same with with Payton. Given drew Brees and got one Super Bowl to show for it….and over a decade of s**tting away one of the best pocket passing QBs of all time. Payton and his great offensive mind only put up 16 pts in the SB. They won because of their D that year (see I can do that as well).

harbs lucks into a hot Joe Flacco in the playoffs lol. Hasn't done s**t with the MVP of the league multiple times. Just losing in big moments all the same.

Reid 20 years of "choking"

You can forget about the details for other teams….a lot of fans of those teams sure as s**t don't. Go ask any Bill fan.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 21, 2024 at 7:54 AM ]
Take a look at a picture of Kyle before 28-3. And people swear all these blown leads haven't weighed on him. Getting over the hump is going to be a huge mental hurdle for Kyle. Nobody in the history of the league has played a key role in blowing leads in big moments like Kyle has

Andy Reid has a playoff loss with a bigger blown lead than Kyle has ever had.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I guess you think the player have nothing to do with the team coming up short. Maybe the other team just played a little better down the stretch. Blaming losses on the coach is weak. Football is the ultimate team sport. That includes all the players and the coaching staff.

Totally Kyle's fault that the OPOY fumbled in the RZ. Totally his fault Greenlaw tears his achilles. His fault our RG gets hurt and the backup doesn't execute a play. His fault the refs swallow the whistle to negate one of our biggest advantages that game. His fault the kicker missed an extra point or the muffed punt return. Never mind the numerous balls on the ground for KC that bounced back into their hands (think they had like 5 fumbles).

people completely blaming a HC in football for a win or lose have no understanding of football.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Also WTF is choking as a head coach? so if you won a Super Bowl 15 yrs ago that means every loss after that doesn't make you a choker?

Tomlin was given a Super Bowl winning team, won one Super Bowl with a first ballot HOF QB and then didn't win s**t for 15 years and that s**t isn't going anywhere still.

Sean Payton won one Super Bowl with a legit generational QB who's got all kinds of records. He didn't win s**t with him for 12 years after that first.

John harbough has one Super Bowl win over a decade ago with 16 years of coaching. He's had a QB who was the MVP twice and still hasn't even got back to the Super Bowl to even lose it.

Sean McDermott has one of the best QBs in the NFL for most of his time in Buffalo. He's been to one AFCC and blew all kinds of games in 7 years.

Andy Reid 14 years in Philly made it to one Super Bowl and lost. 6 straight years in KC with blowing playoff games, until he got the GOAT at QB who just runs around and plays backyard football more than anything.

so NONE of those guys can ever be labeled a choker? So having two 1st ballot HOFer QBs for a decade + on roster and only getting one SB win (not even making it to another SB) that would be enough for all the Kyle haters in that scenario? You then get a decade worth of "choking" with elite QB play, but you know you can't hate the HC because of something that happened over a decade ago lol?

If Jimmy hits ESanders, or if EMoseley carries out his coverage assignment then Kyle isn't a choker.

If Burford blocks his guy and Brock hits a wide open Aiyuk in the end zone in OT then Kyle isn't a choker. Also, Jed would be a good owner instead of a bad owner.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I had this conversation in twitter a while back.

I asked who would you rather have as a HC - Mike McCarthy, SB winner or Kyle Shanahan, SB loser.

I legit had some people take McCarthy. A guy who has killed SB level teams with awful playcalls and game management and just dropped the biggest sh*t show as the #2 seed at their house vs the last seed in the NFC. That game shouldn't have even been as close as it got. Dallas was not ready to play in that game. If Shanahan ever had our guys looking like that I can only imagine the outcry here.

Sometimes you're just on the wrong side of a Dynasty. Andy Reid saw it with the Pats early in his career. He got it again in 2018 with Mahomes having his MVP season cut short by Brady/Belichick.

How many SBs has Andy won without Spagnulo coaching his defense btw? Kyle has been to a SB twice - two different QBs, two different DCs.

And while I don't like to bring this up but if we're being real...if the officiating is consistent to both teams do we honestly think Kyle is losing either of those games?
If Kyle's 49ers get to and win a SB against any team other than KC I guarantee the same people in this thread calling Kyle a choker will move their argument to "eh, that SB win doesn't really count because it wasn't against the dynasty Chiefs".

100% absolutely guarantee it.
[ Edited by captveg on May 21, 2024 at 8:03 AM ]

Originally posted by captveg:
If Kyle's 49ers get to and win a SB against any team other than KC I guarantee the same people in this thread calling Kyle a choker will move their argument to "eh, that SB win doesn't really count because it wasn't against the dynasty Chiefs".

The troll crowd has already set up the argument up that any SB win won't be impressive because of the losses.
man i really think kyle is the best coach ive ever seen. he really deserves to win. i dont want him to become like charles barkley with no championship!
Originally posted by thl408:
If Jimmy hits ESanders, or if EMoseley carries out his coverage assignment then Kyle isn't a choker.

If Burford blocks his guy and Brock hits a wide open Aiyuk in the end zone in OT then Kyle isn't a choker. Also, Jed would be a good owner instead of a bad owner.

It's ridiculous and so bias man.

Another example for a different HC

this play doesn't happen, they aren't winning the SB and tomlin isn't a Super Bowl winning HC. He has absolutely nothing to do with this play. Zero. He gets tackled at any point and it's end of the half.

I mean Mike didn't do s**t for this one either if we want to keep s**t real lol

[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 21, 2024 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by picklejuice:
man i really think kyle is the best coach ive ever seen. he really deserves to win. i dont want him to become like charles barkley with no championship!

Definitely not the best coach I've ever seen but he's a really good HC. All you have to do is listen to how players, even former players talk about him and how other coaches talk about him.

The only people calling him a choker or want him gone are trolls and fans who don't understand the game outside of stats and wins and losses being cut and dry.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by captveg:

The troll crowd has already set up the argument up that any SB win won't be impressive because of the losses.

The Niners teams of the 80s set an impossible standard to live up to. The rules hav echanged since then which makes it harder to build and retain a dominant team. Every year teams are losing and replacing good players due to cap issues and free agency. Neither of those things existed in that Walsh era as you all know. No team that's been to more than two SBs has an unblemished record. The Niners had the best at 5-0 until they lost to the Ravens. The Patriots are 6-5. The Steelers are 6-2 and the Niners re 5-3, same as the Cowboys. The Chiefs are 4-2.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 21, 2024 at 8:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone